Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #601
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
One more question -- Does anyone know how many tickets they sell per party?

I'm really just wondering how crowded the park will be then. If it's crowded with long lines for the rides and if I have to wait a couple of hours on Main St. to be able to watch the fireworks, I think I'll pass on this one.

If it's pretty empty compared to normal nights, then I can see an added benefit for the extra money spent.
By the way, did you view the link AmyPond posted above to the Halloween Screams fireworks on YouTube? I wondered what you thought of them (even though YouTube doesn't do them justice) and if you thought it would be enough of a draw for you to go to the MHP. I am still on the fence!

Okay, to answer your question - and I can only address the TOTP from 2008 because that was the one I went to, but maybe someone else can address the crowds from last year's TOTP - it was surprisingly not as un-crowded in DCA as I expected it to be. When we first entered DCA, there were already all sorts of people milling about underneath the Golden Gate Bridge, and as we moved further into DCA, it was quite crowded all around the Hollywood Backlot area. Lines were not long for the treat stations at first, but as the night progressed, the lines grew. The dance floor areas were quite busy. It was not too crowded in the Condor Flats area, and it was not too crowded in the Paradise Pier area, except for the TSMM line. But over in the Hollywood area and around Candy Corn Acres and at the entry way to DCA, it was quite jam-packed with people. There were also these weird human scarecrow dudes around the A Bug's Land area, talking to guests as they passed by.

On the one hand I could see that because DL is so much larger than DCA, people will spread out and it won't seem crowded at all. The other scenario I envision is that they will sell many more tickets to MHP than they sold to the TOTP and more people will show up, making it seem as crowded as the TOTP did in DCA.

If they are keeping all the rides open in DL, at least people will not all congregate in one spot. But I would bet that the Ghost Galaxy and Haunted Mansion Holiday lines will still be long.

A lot of it depends on where they stick the character photo ops and the treat stations too. We waited in a looooooooong line for Jack Sparrow and a looooooong line for Woody. There was no shortage of people waiting for photos, that's for sure.

ETA: I should mention that we did the TOTP on opening night in 2008, so that could have contributed to the crowds we encountered.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #602
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyPond View Post
Here's one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlb_iPg1g7Q

I think the main reason I think it's extra cheesy is because instead of the actual versions of the songs (like Grim Grinning Ghosts and Poor Unfortunate Souls) they used weird pop versions. It made is so very lame.

I love Remember...Dreams Come True. I love that they used actual sounds and stuff from the rides. If the Halloween fireworks used actual songs, I'd love it. But for me, the pop version is a big fail in my book.
By the way, AmyPond - thanks so much for digging up that link and posting it! I think people who are on the fence about going to the MHP may want to see it to help them decide. Heck, I may even have to watch it again to help ME decide!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepest View Post
Oh wow.

I was totally not planning on going to DL around Halloween this year--last year's visit was a total disaster due to the crowds. For the record, we're out of towners who were going to DL in October every year for the past decade, with usually light crowds around that time. Last year was awful. We were there for three weekdays in mid October, and after 3pm every day the park became total gridlock, with people camping out for the fireworks for hours. We couldn't get a good view of the fireworks on any of the days we were there due to the crowds, and Space Mountain was only approachable with a Fastpass. After 5pm half the rides in the park were shut down to accomodate the fireworks and there were huge lines on everything left open. ON a week day! We also spent hardly a dime in the park because we spent so much time navigating the crowds (except for food. Strangely enough, the only places empty were the sit down restaurants). A week in Anaheim, and we didn't even attempt to go to either park on a weekend...we could see lines of cars backing up the freeway to DL from our hotel room window though!

I'm seriously considering buying tickets to one of the parties if attendance is capped at a reasonable level. I'd love to be able to watch the fireworks in a less crowded setting and go "trick or treating" for candy. Hmm, decisions, decisions.
I agree - we only did one day in late October last year, unlike the previous years where we did multi-day stays in early October or late September, but I could tell that the crowd level in DL had risen substantially in comparison to the previous years. It was packed. The crowds that congregated around SMGG and HMH at night were crazy and off-putting. I was thinking it had to do with the massive number of SoCal AP holders, but I think the SoCal AP holders were blocked at the time we went...which was worrisome because then it just meant that it was crazy busy in general!!!

And then, in December, when we went back...yikes!!! That was even worse!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #603
Tablefor5
Mouseketeer

Thanks AmyPond for posting a link for the Screams. I then went ahead and checked-out some more videos. I agree with the music, a little "cheesy" and not the good DL kind. The only reason I was thinking about the MHP this year would be for the fireworks, now not so sure...We are already going to be on day 5 or 6 by then. My kids would be "done" with DL (in the kid way)
I know when we went in 08, it was the last day of our trip and the kids barely lasted until 9:30pm. DH and I walked around the park with all 3 kids in the double stroller ...and I made-up my mind not to go this year during our visit thinking it was going to be at DCA.
Really, I would be ok not going to MHP this year. The HalloweenTime decorations are enough to fill my pumpkin-side.
It would be great if Screams was playing on non-MHP nights, but doesn't sound that way. I was a little sad but then I thought "Maybe they will continue RDCT...I can see Tink & DUmbo fly" we missed these on our last trip and I was reallllly sad...so maybe there is a positive for me!!!
(side-note: wishing for a non-Halloween fireworks during HalloweenTime heehee)

My girls and me meet Jack & Sally
Old 05-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #604
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
By the way, did you view the link AmyPond posted above to the Halloween Screams fireworks on YouTube? I wondered what you thought of them (even though YouTube doesn't do them justice) and if you thought it would be enough of a draw for you to go to the MHP. I am still on the fence!
Yes, I did watch it. I liked it from what I could tell -- watching on a laptop screen is not nearly as good as being there. But I'm still on the fence as well. If it's crowded, then no way. If not, I'll consider it... We would be trying for opening night, so I think that will just make things worse. Really, I can see just spending the evening at DCA or touring all day and then heading back to the hotel early... Still not at ALL sure though...

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 05-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #605
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablefor5 View Post
Thanks AmyPond for posting a link for the Screams. I then went ahead and checked-out some more videos. I agree with the music, a little "cheesy" and not the good DL kind. The only reason I was thinking about the MHP this year would be for the fireworks, now not so sure...We are already going to be on day 5 or 6 by then. My kids would be "done" with DL (in the kid way)
I know when we went in 08, it was the last day of our trip and the kids barely lasted until 9:30pm. DH and I walked around the park with all 3 kids in the double stroller ...and I made-up my mind not to go this year during our visit thinking it was going to be at DCA.
Really, I would be ok not going to MHP this year. The HalloweenTime decorations are enough to fill my pumpkin-side.
It would be great if Screams was playing on non-MHP nights, but doesn't sound that way. I was a little sad but then I thought "Maybe they will continue RDCT...I can see Tink & DUmbo fly" we missed these on our last trip and I was reallllly sad...so maybe there is a positive for me!!!
(side-note: wishing for a non-Halloween fireworks during HalloweenTime heehee)
Spacemermaid was just saying over in the other thread - with the announcement of the HalloweenTime date and the MHP info - that it would be bad if people pay extra $$$ to specifically see the Halloween fireworks on MHP nights, and DLR ends up having to postpone them or cancel them due to wind!! Unfortunately, those of us who live in SoCal know that October is so dry and often windy that it contributes to those horrible fires you see on the news every year. So running any kinds of fireworks during October is always a gamble. And I do remember, back in 2008, that some regular fireworks had to be cancelled due to wind. I don't think it happens often at all, but imagine if you are the unlucky person who shells out extra cash for MHP because you really want to see those fireworks, and they get cancelled!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
Yes, I did watch it. I liked it from what I could tell -- watching on a laptop screen is not nearly as good as being there. But I'm still on the fence as well. If it's crowded, then no way. If not, I'll consider it... We would be trying for opening night, so I think that will just make things worse. Really, I can see just spending the evening at DCA or touring all day and then heading back to the hotel early... Still not at ALL sure though...
Opening night willl probably be very crowded. I think that's a safe bet. See, I thought when the TOTP was in the $30-ish range, it was fairly reasonable. It didn't mean I was going to attend every year, but it was reasonable. Now, if they hike up the price to something closer to $50 for the general public, for me to even consider it they would have to pack in a lot of more 'stuff' all over DL - more decorations throughout the park, more characters (especially rare ones), just more in general. I don't know if the money is worth it as it stands now, though I would be intrigued to see the layout inside of DL and see what's there.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #606
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Bump!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #607
iKristin

DIS Veteran

EEEEEPP Can't wait to buy my tickets on Friday!!! Do we know if tickets usually post at Midnight or not until later in the morning??

Old 05-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #608
tdashgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunately, those of us who live in SoCal know that October is so dry and often windy that it contributes to those horrible fires you see on the news every year. So running any kinds of fireworks during October is always a gamble.
Good point! I totally forgot about that. We were there for a week during Halloween time and they kept cancelling the fireworks due to wind. It was no big deal, we figured we'd catch it sometime during the week (and we did) but if it's only on party nights ... ack.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #609
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Spacemermaid was just saying over in the other thread - with the announcement of the HalloweenTime date and the MHP info - that it would be bad if people pay extra $$$ to specifically see the Halloween fireworks on MHP nights, and DLR ends up having to postpone them or cancel them due to wind!!
Excellent point about the cancellations! I like to have a couple of possible days planned for fireworks in case one is cancelled - which seems to happen at least one night we are there. It seems like they are trying to make the DL Halloween like the WDW one but are forgetting that there are differences.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #610
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

I wonder if you guys have been reading the follow-up comments to Heather Hust Rivera's Mickey's Halloween Party update from last week on the Disney Parks Blog. There are some strong opinions about the MHP being in DL this year. Some folks are definitely not happy about it, and not happy that the Halloween Screams fireworks are being kept from them unless they fork over another chunk of cash (and that amount is a mystery for another few days). But there are a few who seem to be very happy about it. (I wonder how many of the people who replied belong to the DIS?) This was one of the comments in favor of MHP being in DL, and in favor of the fireworks being exclusive:

Quote:
I am THRILLED that the Halloween party will be at Disneyland this year and very happy that Halloween Screams will be a part of the party. As as an premium pass holder who is not local it will be so nice to be able to enjoy the fireworks without crowds of those that live close desending into Disneyland just to see the fireworks every night.

Keep these types of events coming to entice us vacationers to come back to Disneyland. I was there last year for Halloween time and have now booked my stay at the Disneyland Hotel for a week in Oct. to come to this event! Can’t wait for the tickets to go on sale. We’re going to buy tickets for all the nights we are there that the event will be held!!

Thank you Disneyland for doing events like this for those of us that vacation at the Disneyland Resort!!!!!!
Because of all the talk about the mass numbers of AP holders (and many of them being SoCal AP holders), I get the feeling that if there are any crazy crowds these days at DLR, folks will assume that it's all people who live close descending on the park and crowding it up, scaring potentional vacationers away.

I know the huge number of AP holders in general can't be denied or ignored - isn't it something like over one million and counting? It is clearly affecting attendance and crowd levels in general. But I do feel bad that the SoCal AP holders are kind of inadvertently getting the blame, even if they just took advantage of the great offers Disney provided. I have a hunch that there are all kinds of other, unaccounted-for, non-categorized crowds (non-AP holders) that are coming from somewhere too.

In this day and age, we are all looking for great deals on something - whether it's groceries, clothes, toys for the kids, movies/entertainment, household items, etc. If someone offers us a great deal, we will most likely take it. The SoCal AP holders took the great deal that was offered. And for whatever reason, the crowds at DLR got worse in the last year and a half. BUT it may not be all AP holder-related because all the SoCal APs were blocked when we were there in December last year and yet, it was more crowded than I had ever seen it in years!! So those crowds were either because of upper level AP holders or they came from somewhere else! (For the record, my AP expired in October last year but I hope to get another one eventually.) And with World of Color rapidly approaching (I saw the commercial for it on TV this morning), crowds may increase all over DLR in general. This coming HalloweenTime season and Holiday season could look entirely different (crowd-wise) than they looked last year.

Anyway, I just thought the commentary in response to Heather's blog and the perspectives were quite interesting.

Last edited by Sherry E; 05-31-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #611
BELLEDOZER
Evil MOM reporting for duty!!

This is just a personal observation, but I've noticed lately that there have been more attacks on the AP holders in general on this board. I intend to pickup a Premium Annual Pass for my trip simply because that I'm going on 2 trips 4 months apart, and the savings I'm getting far outweigh the cost of the AP. That being said, it's so easy to blame the AP holders, and in particular the SOCAL AP holders for the increase in congestion in the parks, and I personally think that these people have just as much rights to be in the parks as those who don't visit the park as often. AP holders (any of them) have paid good money for the priviledge of going to the parks as often within their AP's that they have bought, and to use the AP holders as a scapegoat for the large crowds in the parks is not right. It's so easy to blame those who go on a regular basis, and not the people who visit the parks not as often. Just something that I've noticed lately, and not meant to offend anyone. Am looking forward to booking my MHP tickets on July 16th, and will probably book the MHP for both days that it's on while I'm down there. Have a great day!

Trish
Old 05-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #612
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdashgirl View Post
Good point! I totally forgot about that. We were there for a week during Halloween time and they kept cancelling the fireworks due to wind. It was no big deal, we figured we'd catch it sometime during the week (and we did) but if it's only on party nights ... ack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Excellent point about the cancellations! I like to have a couple of possible days planned for fireworks in case one is cancelled - which seems to happen at least one night we are there. It seems like they are trying to make the DL Halloween like the WDW one but are forgetting that there are differences.
Ohhh....I know if I, for some reason, decided that I must see the Halloween Screams fireworks again this year, and that was my sole reason for doing the MHP, I would be ticked if the wind interfered!! That's not to say that there isn't anything else fun to see and do at the MHP because there most certainly is, but if I were using those fireworks as my deciding factor and then they were postponed, I would be mad - mad at the wind (even though I know it is always a possibility in October), mad at Disney for not running the fireworks every night like they did last year, mad at myself for spending the money, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELEDOZER View Post
This is just a personal observation, but I've noticed lately that there have been more attacks on the AP holders in general on this board. I intend to pickup a Premium Annual Pass for my trip simply because that I'm going on 2 trips 4 months apart, and the savings I'm getting far outweigh the cost of the AP. That being said, it's so easy to blame the AP holders, and in particular the SOCAL AP holders for the increase in congestion in the parks, and I personally think that these people have just as much rights to be in the parks as those who don't visit the park as often. AP holders (any of them) have paid good money for the priviledge of going to the parks as often within their AP's that they have bought, and to use the AP holders as a scapegoat for the large crowds in the parks is not right. It's so easy to blame those who go on a regular basis, and not the people who visit the parks not as often. Just something that I've noticed lately, and not meant to offend anyone. Am looking forward to booking my MHP tickets on July 16th, and will probably book the MHP for both days that it's on while I'm down there. Have a great day!

Trish
You're right, Trish. I have noticed a lot of it, too, and I do feel bad that it has come down to that. As I said earlier, we all look for good deals on things where we can get them, and people do that with the AP too, whether it's by using the payment plan or by getting a lower level SoCal AP or whatever. Again, the numbers can't be ignored, so yes, all the million + AP holders would certainly contribute to an increase in business and crowds in DLR, but that's what Disney wants. They want more business. And unless we are following every person around in the park, monitoring who spends what amount of money on which things or which food and whether or not they are locals or non-locals, AP holders or non-AP holders, we can't really say which group spends the most money.

I am a semi-local (if you consider living in Los Angeles local to Anaheim) currently without an AP, and when I go to DLR, I spend as if I were visiting DLR from another state. I never presume that I will be able to get back there any time I want because you never know what can happen. I have not been able to get there whenever I want so I make the most of it when I DO get there. So I eat at Goofy's Kitchen, I buy little Halloween or Christmas knick knacks, I eat at other DLR restaurants, I buy the PhotoPass CDs and - if money allows - I stay onsite, at one of the DLR hotels (I would much rather stay onsite for several nights than do a one-day trip and go home).

All I know is that my day at DLR in December last year was waaaaaaay busier than October and waaaaaaaaaaaay busier than the exact same time of year in December 2008 and December 2007, and all the SoCal AP holders were blocked on that day. So those crowds came from some other source. I mean, seriously - the line for Haunted Mansion Holiday was 45 minutes long before 11:00 a.m., and the wall of people around IASW Holiday at night was c-r-r-a-a-a-a-a-z-z-z-z-zy-y-y-y-y!!!

Last edited by Sherry E; 05-31-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #613
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLEDOZER View Post

Trish
Sadly, it has been a trend for a while here on the DISBoards.

Disney is a business. A busy Park is a good thing from a business perspective. Tourists want no crowds. These two goals conflict. The easy scapegoat? The AP holder... and it's sad that DIS'ers often go that route, but it's true.

Get your AP. Use its privileges to the height that you are able and enjoy. You paid it!

- Dreams

Old 05-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #614
katrina88
Earning My Ears

Hi Fellow Disney Lovers!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for all the info provided on all the boards! I am an avid viewer!
Just a quick question! I am planning a trip down to DL for the last week of September, now I just want to be clear on something.
I understand all the decorations will be up by then, but will there still be the regular fireworks and fantasmic? The Halloween Party starts in October with the separate fireworks, but I just want to make sure that we will be able to catch at least the regular ones

Thank you!!
Old 05-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #615
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina88 View Post
Hi Fellow Disney Lovers!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for all the info provided on all the boards! I am an avid viewer!
Just a quick question! I am planning a trip down to DL for the last week of September, now I just want to be clear on something.
I understand all the decorations will be up by then, but will there still be the regular fireworks and fantasmic? The Halloween Party starts in October with the separate fireworks, but I just want to make sure that we will be able to catch at least the regular ones

Thank you!!
Hello there! Welcome!

I think your question is an excellent one, and also a mystery at the moment! I would imagine that regular fireworks would have to be scheduled for somewhere in there on non-party nights, but no one knows for sure yet. I think the exclusivity of the Halloween Screams fireworks took everyone by surprise. In that Disney Parks Blog installment by Heather last week, nothing was ever said about regular fireworks.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: