Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #256
Vala
DIS Veteran

*drums fingers impatiently*

Didn't the Halloween party tickets go on sale for AP holders last year on May 1?

I want to spend money and they are not letting me!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #257
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Okay, so the big news today is that, this year, the Trick or Treat Party is moving TO DISNEYLAND and LEAVING CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE!!!

HydroGuy posted one of his fabulous threads with a synopsis of the latest Al Lutz article on MiceAge, detailing changes coming to DLR due to World of Color - one of which is that the TOTP is leaving DCA and heading back to DL!! I had been wondering about and speculating on how they would handle WoC on TOTP nights at DCA, and if they would run WoC exclusively for the TOTP guests. Well, apparently not.

So this means, folks, that DL will have: Haunted Mansion Holiday, Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy (we assume), the villain-themed Halloween fireworks, rumors of a possible new Halloween parade, the Halloween Round-Up AND now the Trick or Treat Party too!!!

What will be left of Halloweentime at DCA? It seems like they are really pushing World of Color heavily, and with the exception of some possible Candy Corn photo ops at DCA, it looks like all the Halloweentime fun will be had in DL...which, in my mind, means - huge crowds packed into DL. The TOTP is a ticketed event, but will they close all of DL to have it on those nights, or will they just section off an area of DL to hold the TOTP? I guess they would have to close the whole park? All of DL closed at night, on Fridays (not to mention other days), except to TOTP guests? Wow! That's going to shake things up a bit, unless they change the nights of the TOTP to less busy nights.

In any case, I just envision more people descending on DL itself - especially the ones who don't care about WoC at all, and the ones who realize Paradise Pier is closed at night and get annoyed. I know that only a certain number of folks can attend the TOTP, but I think the buzz that will swirl around about all the Halloweentime fun being inside DL will be enough to draw more people over there in general, just to see what's there.

Here is the link to HydroGuy's thread from today:

"Al Lutz Major Update: WoC Showing 3 Times Per Night, Only 6000 Per Show?"

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2458973

And here is the link to the Al Lutz article that explains all of the WoC stuff in more detail:

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al050410a.htm

So what does everyone think of this news? Good or bad news for us in terms of crowds in DL? I think it was good to have something in DCA for Halloweentime to draw people out of DL. Now...not so sure what will happen!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 05-04-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Changed wording
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #258
iKristin

DIS Veteran

Hmm...not liking the idea that DL will possible close early every night during my trip I don't want to be at DCA I want to be at DL!!! But at the same time I'm interested to see how it works out. I think by then WOC excitement will have really worn down and so it might not be as big of a deal for the TOTP to be there only during that one month.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #259
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

Hm. That sure is interesting! Thankfully it wont be affecting me even if Halloweentime does start during my trip as per the past few years since the TOTP wouldn't be for another week anyway. I don't know what to think, honestly.

wish journalmy new blog
live well - laugh often - run disney
Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #260
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
So this means, folks, that DL will have: Haunted Mansion Holiday, Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy (we assume), the villain-themed Halloween fireworks, rumors of a possible new Halloween parade, the Halloween Round-Up AND now the Trick or Treat Party too!!!

What will be left of Halloweentime at DCA? It seems like they are really pushing World of Color heavily, and with the exception of some possible Candy Corn photo ops at DCA, it looks like all the Halloweentime fun will be had in DL...which, in my mind, means - huge crowds packed into DL. The TOTP is a ticketed event, but will they close all of DL to have it on those nights, or will they just section off an area of DL to hold the TOTP? I guess they would have to close the whole park? All of DL closed at night, on Fridays (not to mention other days), except to TOTP guests? Wow! That's going to shake things up a bit, unless they change the nights of the TOTP to less busy nights.
*Per DLR website SMGG is returning for the 2010 Halloween season!!!

*I too am wondering how they will schedule the TOTP this year. My mom definitely wants to go for Halloween this year, but I'm holding off booking until I know the dates of the parties. With school I only have a Thursday-Sunday window to travel.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #261
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vala View Post
*drums fingers impatiently*

Didn't the Halloween party tickets go on sale for AP holders last year on May 1?

I want to spend money and they are not letting me!
It was May 15th....almost there!!!

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #262
Tablefor5
Mouseketeer

eekkk...sounds kinda scary!!!
This will be interesting to watch how it plays out. Good thing we still have several months left for things to settle.
Thanks for keeping us posted HydroGuy and SherryE...

My girls and me meet Jack & Sally
Old 05-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #263
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Jazz & iKristin - One of the first things that passed through my mind when I read HydroGuy's Al Lutz thread and saw the bit about the TOTP moving to DL was, "Hmmm...this changes the whole game! I wonder if the days/dates of the TOTP will change dramatically now that it's going to be in DL."

So, Jazz - you never know! You may get a chance to see the TOTP. I'm sure Halloweentime will still start when we expect it to (9/24), BUT they may very well decide to extend the dates of the TOTP, or move them to an earlier start date rather than on October 1. Holding the TOTP in DL will be alternately exciting and frustrating because they will have to close the park several hours early on nights like Friday, which will annoy certain folks who have no interest in WoC or in the TOTP but just wanted to hang out at DL for the night. Another possibility is that they may cut back on some of the TOTP nights in general, just to allow their Friday nights to be business as usual.

It will be very enlightening to see what plans DLR has in store for us come Halloweentime. Will they take any of the previous Halloweentime activities or attractions away now that they are adding the TOTP to DL? Or will Halloweentime be even bigger and better than before? I guess I am still a bit shocked that they are stripping away almost all traces of Halloweentime from DCA (unless there is stuff planned that we don't know about yet) to force attention on WoC, and the viewing set-up for WoC, thus far, sounds like a big pain in the rear.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 05-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #264
ToodlesRN
Always Dreamin Of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
I think dates were announced and tickets were available to AP holders and Disney Visa holders in mid may. Open to everyone in August.

ETA: I was right. Just checked last years MP updates and it was in the May 18 one!!!

Called MS for DVC and nope not on sale yet, only for DW at this time. Hopefully soon!!!
~Olivia~ 4 yrs
First visit to DL at age 11 and hooked ever since!
Disney Cruise and WDW 2/09 and 9/09
DVC Members on 3/2008 at AKV'S and 1/2009 VGC
Next Disney Trips: Disneyland, October 2014
Old 05-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #265
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

I was kind of thinking that, but I don't want to get my hopes up! Nothing is really predictable this year, huh? I really, really, really would love to experience the TOTP for myself and seeing as travel in October is never actually possible for me so long as I'm in my current job. But I don't know if that's too much to ask for.

I hope this goes in the direction of "Halloween will be bigger than before" route. If I can't make it to the TOTP because it hasn't started yet, I would hate to be miss out on other entertainment things they could have had or maybe had previously. I don't ride SM so the GG thing isn't somthing I'm interested in, and I really want to see the HMH again. I would love to see a fireworks show that I haven't seen before. I really, really wish they had a Halloween parade (well, anything other than Celebrate because I refuse to watch that).

No matter what happens though, so long as I see Halloween decorations I will be satisfied. But I want to be more, you know?

Honestly though, WOC doesn't hold much appeal to me so I am not so much drawn to DCA. Especially since come October there will be no Aladdin musical anymore! I would hate to be forced out of DL because I wasn't attending the TOTP and my only option be head to the hotel or DCA where who knows how WOC will still be effecting everything there.

This is going to take more planning on my part than I had anticipated. But I love the challenge. Now if only informationw as opening up so we could start planning, that would be great. I have money burning a hole in my pocket!

wish journalmy new blog
Old 05-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #266
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

Quote:

How crazy would it have been for them not to bring it back though? After only installing it last year, and the money that had to have taken, to only have it one year wouldn't make sense. And didn't they mention that after the initial install, making the switch again in future years easier and only a day or so to complete? Or am I just pulling information from thin air again.

I would think out of all Halloween rides/entertainment that would be the most obvious to return. So it's good to know it will be.

Too bad it's not something I will go on though

wish journalmy new blog
Old 05-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #267
Tablefor5
Mouseketeer

Now that I have taken a few minutes to think about this TOTP news and looking back to my TOTP experience in 08, I thought it was fun and cute but not fun enough for me to go back when we visit this HalloweenTime. We were not planning on paying for that again, we thought the TOTP @ DCA felt "dead" (and not the good Halloween dead).
So, maybe moving it to DL will be a good thing!!! It will be interesting to see which days and the $$ but I am now considering putting the TOTP back in my plans and excited about it... So, back to the drawing board for me regarding my trip... I hope DL starts putting out info soon...I am a planner and NEED TO KNOW!!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #268
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablefor5 View Post
eekkk...sounds kinda scary!!!
This will be interesting to watch how it plays out. Good thing we still have several months left for things to settle.
Thanks for keeping us posted HydroGuy and SherryE...
Quote:

*I too am wondering how they will schedule the TOTP this year. My mom definitely wants to go for Halloween this year, but I'm holding off booking until I know the dates of the parties. With school I only have a Thursday-Sunday window to travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Ella View Post
I was kind of thinking that, but I don't want to get my hopes up! Nothing is really predictable this year, huh? I really, really, really would love to experience the TOTP for myself and seeing as travel in October is never actually possible for me so long as I'm in my current job. But I don't know if that's too much to ask for.

I hope this goes in the direction of "Halloween will be bigger than before" route. If I can't make it to the TOTP because it hasn't started yet, I would hate to be miss out on other entertainment things they could have had or maybe had previously. I don't ride SM so the GG thing isn't somthing I'm interested in, and I really want to see the HMH again. I would love to see a fireworks show that I haven't seen before. I really, really wish they had a Halloween parade (well, anything other than Celebrate because I refuse to watch that).

No matter what happens though, so long as I see Halloween decorations I will be satisfied. But I want to be more, you know?

Honestly though, WOC doesn't hold much appeal to me so I am not so much drawn to DCA. Especially since come October there will be no Aladdin musical anymore! I would hate to be forced out of DL because I wasn't attending the TOTP and my only option be head to the hotel or DCA where who knows how WOC will still be effecting everything there.

This is going to take more planning on my part than I had anticipated. But I love the challenge. Now if only informationw as opening up so we could start planning, that would be great. I have money burning a hole in my pocket!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablefor5 View Post
Now that I have taken a few minutes to think about this TOTP news and looking back to my TOTP experience in 08, I thought it was fun and cute but not fun enough for me to go back when we visit this HalloweenTime. We were not planning on paying for that again, we thought the TOTP @ DCA felt "dead" (and not the good Halloween dead).

So, maybe moving it to DL will be a good thing!!! It will be interesting to see which days and the $$ but I am now considering putting the TOTP back in my plans and excited about it... So, back to the drawing board for me regarding my trip... I hope DL starts putting out info soon...I am a planner and NEED TO KNOW!!

I was just doing a little bit of work for a client and also a couple of household tasks and letting my mind meditate on the Halloweentime possibilities and the impact of World of Color on the TOTP, etc....Just mulling it all over in different configurations...letting it sink in. And I read the whole Al Lutz article from beginning to end.

Some thoughts I had after reading the full article are:

-It sounds as if TDA and the powers that be at DLR were probably so eager to get this darn WoC show up and running that they didn't really think too far down the road - to some extent - as to how to handle certain crowd issues that may arise in both parks, how to juggle the WoC madness with the Halloweentime festivities, etc., and they are just kind of fixing problems that come up as they go along.

-I think that the fact that Aladdin is closing in 3 months is really bad timing in relation to WoC. Aladdin - or any show playing at the Hyperion - would have been a crowd eater, getting some of those people (who are not interested in WoC and who are packed into the Hollywood Backlot area) off of the streets. The whole Paradise Pier area will be closed at night, with the exception of TSMM. Let's face it - DCA is not all that big. There are not too many places to go, and one of the few is the Hollywood Backlot area - or back over to DL. Letting Aladdin run until the end of the year, at least, would have taken some of the bodies off the street while peopple are trying to figure out where to go to wait for their WoC showing.

-I think a lot of folks will actually end up avoiding WoC for a long while because there is so much hype about it, there will be fear of horrible crowds and because, right now, the viewing area sounds like a pain. As much hype as there is about this show, I expect that there will be a lot of people (perhaps the folks with APs and/or locals who can go to DLR more often) who will be avoiding it like the plague for a long time. And, thus, the already-super-crowded Disneyland will become even more packed and start reaching capacity more often during October.

-The idea of the TOTP in DCA was a good one in order to thin out the crowds in DL and lure people over to DCA to see more of what was there. Unless DCA will have some sort of Halloween stuff there that we don't know about yet, I think anyone interested in Halloweentime will be hanging out at DL and I don't know if the people waiting for WoC will really lighten the crowds inside DL at all. I tend to think not. I think people will say, "Halloween stuff is at Disneyland...World of Color is at California...let's stick with Disneyland and go back over to DCA when the buzz for WoC has died down."

-I think the idea of the TOTP inside DL is intriguing. This makes me wonder if they will finally do something Halloween-esque with the Castle (though I get the feeling that DLR doesn't even know for certain what the Halloweentime plans will be yet!!). I have been saying for a long time that they should 'spook up' the Castle a bit with eerie lighting and creepy plants hanging off of it, and maybe some villains lurking around (specifically, Maleficent) in front of the Castle for photo ops (like right where the PhotoPass people usually camp out). The Castle lends itself so well to the beautiful icicle lights and 'snow' of the holiday season. It could work almost as well if it were lit in 'scary colors' and decor for Halloweentime. It could be a perfect moody centerpiece for DL for the Halloweentime season, and it could easily be transformed.

-TOTP in DL means they have more territory to cover in a bigger park...this should probably mean more decorations all around DL. So far, Halloweentime hasn't been all-encompassing and as thorough and immersive as it could be. They seem to be slowly building it up over the years. But if they now have to hold the TOTP there, I would imagine there will be lots more Halloween 'stuff' all around the parks, and, hopefully, more treat stations!!!! Because of the overall 'fantasy' feel of DL on a whole, they could really get very creative and imaginative with what they do for Halloweentime...more so than they did at DCA.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #269
Diznygrl
Disneyland Fanatic
But really, let's get real. I've never met a donut I didn't like

I went to the ToTP last year for the first time and had fun, but really thought it would be much MORE fun to have that kind of event in DL rather than DCA. I thought I'd be skipping it this year, but now to hear that it's being held in DL I might just change my plans! Hmm...

I really had a lot of fun at WDW's Halloween party, and most of the appeal was the fact that it was in the Magic Kingdom instead of some other park. I never thought it was even possible for DLR to hold the party in their "Magic Kingdom" park because of the difference in demographic between the resorts, the difference in size and other things to do, etc. Mostly when people come to DLR, they come FOR DISNEYLAND. I thought NO WAY could they close DL to the general public all those nights in October, people would be furious! But, here it is. It's scary and exciting at the same time. I guess we'll have to see how it all plays out...
Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #270
Tablefor5
Mouseketeer

Yah, what Sherry E said!
Good points...like the Castle idea!!!!
I am getting more excited and want to know the TOTP dates...hahaha

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: