Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #211
BELLEDOZER
Evil MOM reporting for duty!!

Thanks for all the great info Sherry. I'm planning a surprise trip to DL at the beginning of Feb/11 that is a family trip and will be stateside for 15 days and will be driving down. DH promised me a solo trip for next year, and so it looks like I'm saving for 2 trips at the same time, and with being a stay at home mom, can be fun trying to save the money. DH is relying on me to save up 2/3rds of the money for the Feb trip, and all of the money for my solo trip. I was originally going to head to DL in April/11 for my solo trip, but had to delay it for 5 months until I can save up the additional money to pay for my trip. Should have enough money saved by then that will cover most, if not all of my trip. Need it to get away from 2 very active boys DS7 and DS6, and recover my sanity at least for a little while. And since I'm an avid picture taker, I should be taking tons of pics down there during my solo trip.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #212
pdxJolene
Mouseketeer

AH! I'm wishing I had photos to post, but this will be my first halloween trip. I'll make sure to come back with PLENTY though! How is the day of halloween at DL usually? This year it is on a Sunday... I'm thinking our dates will be the 30th-7th with Halloween being our first DL day. And another question... When do the rides with overlays shut down to go back to normal? That may change our dates some.

How many more days until October?
DLR TRIPS; Feb '06, April '08, April '10, May '11
FIRST WDW TRIP; Dec '11
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #213
Karenann*
Wishing upon a Star...

Taking my family to DL in Oct for DS 21st Birthday! We were there in Oct 06 during Gay Days and the Choc Walk both but had 8 days in the park so the crowds didn't slow us down to much. All the info on here is the best!! Staying at BWPPI this time (birthday boys wish to be as close to the Mouse Himself as possible!). Look forward to sharing and planning here.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #214
Vala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
You hadn't heard that about Toy Story Midway Mania yet? HydroGuy posted a thread about it not long ago:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2417992

Apparently, because of the new Toy Story movie opening this year, all new games will be added to the TSMM ride (I suppose, replacing all the old ones?), and they already have plans to do an eventual Halloween and Christmas overlay (though I would be shocked if they did the holiday overlays this year, so soon after adding the new games). Drat! Just when I had started to get into a nice groove with the games on TSMM and see my scores begin to improve, they are switching them up on me!! Back to Square One!!
Nope, that went completely past me.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #215
Vala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLEDOZER View Post
I'm seriously thinking about heading to DL the first week of Oct/11, since my solo trip got delayed for 6 months due to financial woes. It looks like alot of fun, and satisfies my urge to take pcs. I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate answered. First off how is the weather in Oct? And secondly, do you have to dress up for the Trick or Treat Party, and if so how dressed up do you have to get? TIA

Trish

Weather... I think Sherry got it pretty right with unpredictable. Two years ago it was extremely hot. Last year the days seemed a little overcast, and especially at night it was freezing. There's this lovely photo of me looking like a furball on legs somewhere in this topic - shirt, hoodie, fleece jacket and I was still cold.

You don't have to dress up for the party, definitely not. We usually do a little, like a black halo or a special shirt. Last year I had a shirt saying "Team Tremaine" (borrowed from those Twilight teams ) and that got over very well, especially with Lady Tremaine of course.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #216
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxJolene View Post
AH! I'm wishing I had photos to post, but this will be my first halloween trip. I'll make sure to come back with PLENTY though! How is the day of halloween at DL usually? This year it is on a Sunday... I'm thinking our dates will be the 30th-7th with Halloween being our first DL day. And another question... When do the rides with overlays shut down to go back to normal? That may change our dates some.

How many more days until October?
You will have photos soon enough - if not of Halloweentime, then of Christmastime! I can't wait to see them when you take them! Seriously, after seeing what everyone has had to share in this thread and in the Disney at Christmas thread, I can't wait to get back to DLR to hunt for more out of the way Christmas and Halloween details to get pictures of!! There is so much ground to cover! The exciting thing is that, most likely, there will be a few new things added to this upcoming Halloweentime season and probably the Christmas season as well, so we will have all kinds of fabulous photo ops and surprises in store!

I don't know what the crowds are like on the actual Halloween day, so hopefully someone else can answer that for us.

As fr the rides with overlays - Haunted Mansion Holiday will open on the day that Halloweentime begins (which, we assume, will be 9/24, pending further notice), and it will stay open all through the Christmas season, shutting down in early January to go back to the normal HM. And Space Mountain Ghost Galazy would also open on the first day of Halloweentime, and would likely be shut down on November 1 (or overnight from 10/31 to 11/1), I am guessing, since that's a Monday, to go back to normal. The Halloween Round-Up would also be immediately de-Halloweened and the Christmas decorations for the Reindeer Round-Up would begin to go up almost immediately, as the holiday season begins mid-November-ish, and they only have a couple of weeks to get all the Christmas stuff up and ready to go after Halloween ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenann* View Post
Taking my family to DL in Oct for DS 21st Birthday! We were there in Oct 06 during Gay Days and the Choc Walk both but had 8 days in the park so the crowds didn't slow us down to much. All the info on here is the best!! Staying at BWPPI this time (birthday boys wish to be as close to the Mouse Himself as possible!). Look forward to sharing and planning here.
Oooohhh...I would love 8 days at DLR! I used to think it would be too much to take after all that time, but I would break it up and spend a lot of time at the hotel, and pace myself so that I didn't get too exhausted or burnt out. But just think of all the photo-taking opportunities in 8 days!!

Do you have any photos to share with us from your Halloweentime 2006 trip? We'd love to see them!!

Thanks for joining us here!!

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info Sherry. I'm planning a surprise trip to DL at the beginning of Feb/11 that is a family trip and will be stateside for 15 days and will be driving down. DH promised me a solo trip for next year, and so it looks like I'm saving for 2 trips at the same time, and with being a stay at home mom, can be fun trying to save the money. DH is relying on me to save up 2/3rds of the money for the Feb trip, and all of the money for my solo trip. I was originally going to head to DL in April/11 for my solo trip, but had to delay it for 5 months until I can save up the additional money to pay for my trip. Should have enough money saved by then that will cover most, if not all of my trip. Need it to get away from 2 very active boys DS7 and DS6, and recover my sanity at least for a little while. And since I'm an avid picture taker, I should be taking tons of pics down there during my solo trip.
Awesome! I am crossing my fingers for you that it works out and you are able to make these DLR trips happen (I hate money problems and restraints!). You do need to have some 'you time' every now and then!! If you do make it to Halloweentime at DLR next year, I can't wait to see your photos!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 04-22-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Typo!!! Thanks, PHXscuba!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #217
BELLEDOZER
Evil MOM reporting for duty!!

Thanks for all your support for my upcoming trips! You are truely greyt DISer's. What I'm thinking of creating for the TOTP is making up a creative shirt, using the basic concept from the DISign board that I found a couple of years ago. It's the abstract MMH disign, but if you've got the dye blocker (which I find alot easier than using the glue method), you can make any disign that you want. Am going to make a Jack o Lantern within the basic MMH, and add some hidden mickey's in as well. On the back I'm going to put "Trick or Treat", or something else that catches my immagination. Will probably do this over the next couple of months when I find the materials to do this on sale at Michaels craft store. Ah, another craft project to complete, one of many!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #218
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxJolene View Post
AH! I'm wishing I had photos to post, but this will be my first halloween trip. I'll make sure to come back with PLENTY though! How is the day of halloween at DL usually? This year it is on a Sunday... I'm thinking our dates will be the 30th-7th with Halloween being our first DL day.
I have this question, too! We are going to be in DL for the first few days of our trip before going to San Diego. We will be there the 30th and 31st... I suspect it will be extra crowded since it is a weekend? Is the "party" worth it as a result of the crowds? Will they have that on the 30th? The dates are not out yet.. I really am enjoying this thread so many great ideas and pictures! Can't wait to see the diferences between WDW and DL! I have not been to DL since my 20s!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Old 04-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #219
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Sherry, in your last post above (I'm bad at using the quote feature), I think you meant to say that the Haunted Mansion will open with the NBC overlay for the season on 9/24, not 9/4. I'd hate for anyone to miss it!

Yours in spooky fun,
PHXscuba
Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #220
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
Sherry, in your last post above (I'm bad at using the quote feature), I think you meant to say that the Haunted Mansion will open with the NBC overlay for the season on 9/24, not 9/4. I'd hate for anyone to miss it!

Yours in spooky fun,
PHXscuba
Yes...a typo! (And it may not even be 9/24 that Halloweentime and Haunted Mansion Holiday open, but I assume it will be based on the patterns of the last 2 years.) In any case, it most certainly won't be 9/4! I usually am typing in a hurry and have to log off to do other things, and then I noice my typos later on, or the next day!! I will correct it right now. Thanks for catching it. Even though I have "9/24" mentioned all throughout this thread, it would be just my luck that someone reads that one post with the date typo and base a plan on the wrong date!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #221
PoohNFriends
Yes, I'm one of those crazy animal people!

Love love love all the pics
We have our Jack Skellington and Sally costumes ready to go - just hoping our trip planning works out and we go during the last week of October
Old 04-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #222
Legendofthehawk
Mouseketeer

I am sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed it.

But when do the MTOT tickets go on sale? Or the halloween tour? Anyone know?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #223
iKristin

DIS Veteran

The TOTP tix usually go on sale first week of August, but sooner for AP holders

Old 04-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #224
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for all your support for my upcoming trips! You are truely greyt DISer's. What I'm thinking of creating for the TOTP is making up a creative shirt, using the basic concept from the DISign board that I found a couple of years ago. It's the abstract MMH disign, but if you've got the dye blocker (which I find alot easier than using the glue method), you can make any disign that you want. Am going to make a Jack o Lantern within the basic MMH, and add some hidden mickey's in as well. On the back I'm going to put "Trick or Treat", or something else that catches my immagination. Will probably do this over the next couple of months when I find the materials to do this on sale at Michaels craft store. Ah, another craft project to complete, one of many!
That sounds cool! I think it will be great for the TOTP next year! Take lots of photos of it once it's made! Anything with Hidden Mickeys is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
I have this question, too! We are going to be in DL for the first few days of our trip before going to San Diego. We will be there the 30th and 31st... I suspect it will be extra crowded since it is a weekend? Is the "party" worth it as a result of the crowds? Will they have that on the 30th? The dates are not out yet.. I really am enjoying this thread so many great ideas and pictures! Can't wait to see the diferences between WDW and DL! I have not been to DL since my 20s!!!
Hmmm....October 30th is a Saturday this year, correct? I would assume - though I can't say for sure - that the TOTP would happen on the 30th. In fact, I would guess that many parents would prefer to take their kids to the TOTP on that night rather than on Sunday, because they have school the next day and what not. As for whether or not the TOTP would be any busier on the actual night of Halloween...I am not sure. I think DLR will be quite crowded in general most of October this year. I have not been to the TOTP - or even to DLR in general - on Halloween. I do know that there is a fixed number of tickets sold to the TOTP. The tickets for the opening days of the TOTP usually sell out first, and then I think the Halloween tickets sell out. And I think there may be some tickets reserved to sell on the actual days of the party (for more money). But, basically, it is controlled due to the limit on tickets sold. So if the opening night of the TOTP sells out and Halloween night sells out, they would be equally as crowded. It is probably the nights in between the opening and the end that are more likely to not sell out right away, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully, someone else can weigh in here with their thoughts on which nights of the TOTP are extra busy and if it is worth it. I thought the TOTP was fun when we went in 2008, and I would go again - especially to take photos! - but it is not something that I need to do every year. I could easily skip a year here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohNFriends View Post
Love love love all the pics
We have our Jack Skellington and Sally costumes ready to go - just hoping our trip planning works out and we go during the last week of October
Thanks for joining in here with us!! Hopefully we can find some more folks to post photos!! Be sure to take lots of pictures on your trip in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendofthehawk View Post
I am sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed it.

But when do the MTOT tickets go on sale? Or the halloween tour? Anyone know?
Hello there!

If I recall, the TOTP tickets start to go on sale in August or so. I remember people buying them in August.

The Halloween tour is something that has not been really touched on too much in this thread yet. Good thinking! It would be great if someone could post their photos and recap of the tour, along with the details of when tickets can be purchased, etc.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #225
Legendofthehawk
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for the info!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
That sounds cool! I think it will be great for the TOTP next year! Take lots of photos of it once it's made! Anything with Hidden Mickeys is great!

Hmmm....October 30th is a Saturday this year, correct? I would assume - though I can't say for sure - that the TOTP would happen on the 30th. In fact, I would guess that many parents would prefer to take their kids to the TOTP on that night rather than on Sunday, because they have school the next day and what not. As for whether or not the TOTP would be any busier on the actual night of Halloween...I am not sure. I think DLR will be quite crowded in general most of October this year. I have not been to the TOTP - or even to DLR in general - on Halloween. I do know that there is a fixed number of tickets sold to the TOTP. The tickets for the opening days of the TOTP usually sell out first, and then I think the Halloween tickets sell out. And I think there may be some tickets reserved to sell on the actual days of the party (for more money). But, basically, it is controlled due to the limit on tickets sold. So if the opening night of the TOTP sells out and Halloween night sells out, they would be equally as crowded. It is probably the nights in between the opening and the end that are more likely to not sell out right away, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully, someone else can weigh in here with their thoughts on which nights of the TOTP are extra busy and if it is worth it. I thought the TOTP was fun when we went in 2008, and I would go again - especially to take photos! - but it is not something that I need to do every year. I could easily skip a year here and there.

Thanks for joining in here with us!! Hopefully we can find some more folks to post photos!! Be sure to take lots of pictures on your trip in October.

Hello there!

If I recall, the TOTP tickets start to go on sale in August or so. I remember people buying them in August.

The Halloween tour is something that has not been really touched on too much in this thread yet. Good thinking! It would be great if someone could post their photos and recap of the tour, along with the details of when tickets can be purchased, etc.
Mh. Do you know if it would be possible to get a AP to buy the TOT tickets? Or are they linked to your account? I am just nervous that halloween is going to sell out before we can buy them. Yes/No?

I think if we are able, we want to do the MTOT twice in this trip if we can, depending. It is half the cost of the MNSSHP.. and since the park closes early for the TOT (right?) I am guessing it has to be worth it.

Oh yes please!! The tour looks really really awesome. Pictures would be very helpful since it costs more than the MTOT!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: