Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #196
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Oh, I forgot to mention - the link to this thread (and to the popular "Disney at Christmas" thread) will be added to the main DLR info sticky at the top of the page, under a heading something like "Holiday Planning." So we should continue to keep this thread alive so more people will see it and post photos, but if, for some reason, it gets lost in the murky depths of the forum, we will be able to find it easily in the main info/planning sticky.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 04-18-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #197
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Good to know about the "sticky."

I was thinking maybe we could ask the OP to re-title the thread to "DLR Halloween Superthread". Might cut down on the other threads that pop up with the same type of questions.

PHXscuba
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #198
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
Good to know about the "sticky."

I was thinking maybe we could ask the OP to re-title the thread to "DLR Halloween Superthread". Might cut down on the other threads that pop up with the same type of questions.

PHXscuba
Good thinking. There are a bunch of WoC threads happening now, and it does get a bit confusing and overwhelming - it's good to have as much info all in one place (photos, too) as possible!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 04-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #199
Vala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
and Toy Story Midway Mania is getting new games.
Hmm? Okay, what else did I miss?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #200
chessieiglr8402
Earning My Ears

Crowds

Good Evening!

I have been a lurker on the boards for a while now but now that I am planning my first trip to California/Disneyland by myself I decided it is time to ask some questions. My DBF and I are going to Disneyland/California for a graduation trip (for his undergraduate and my Masters). We are going to be there From October 1-10(possibly 11), 2010. What are the crowds going to be like during this time? We are going to be doing some of the other attractions in LA, Long Beach, Orange county while we are there, but plan on doing Disney for 3 (possibly 4) days during the week (probably Tuesday-Thursday or something). How are the crowds during that first full week of October normally?

I am super excited about this thread and love reading about all the things that we are going to see while we are there!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #201
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vala View Post
Hmm? Okay, what else did I miss?
You hadn't heard that about Toy Story Midway Mania yet? HydroGuy posted a thread about it not long ago:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2417992

Apparently, because of the new Toy Story movie opening this year, all new games will be added to the TSMM ride (I suppose, replacing all the old ones?), and they already have plans to do an eventual Halloween and Christmas overlay (though I would be shocked if they did the holiday overlays this year, so soon after adding the new games). Drat! Just when I had started to get into a nice groove with the games on TSMM and see my scores begin to improve, they are switching them up on me!! Back to Square One!!

In any case, yes, I have a hunch that the already-long line for TSMM will get longer with the new games, because, essentially, it will be like a whole new ride. The line was finally getting down to the 30-minute mark at times, and now it is going to get longer and slower again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessieiglr8402 View Post
Good Evening!

I have been a lurker on the boards for a while now but now that I am planning my first trip to California/Disneyland by myself I decided it is time to ask some questions. My DBF and I are going to Disneyland/California for a graduation trip (for his undergraduate and my Masters). We are going to be there From October 1-10(possibly 11), 2010. What are the crowds going to be like during this time? We are going to be doing some of the other attractions in LA, Long Beach, Orange county while we are there, but plan on doing Disney for 3 (possibly 4) days during the week (probably Tuesday-Thursday or something). How are the crowds during that first full week of October normally?

I am super excited about this thread and love reading about all the things that we are going to see while we are there!
Hi, chessieiglr8402!!! Welcome, welcome, welcome to our Halloweentime thread!! Thanks for coming out of lurkdom and joining us! I hope you have had a chance to scroll back to the beginning and glance at all the great photos. I still hope we get more contributions from other DIS-ers who would like to share their pictures too, but, thus far, I think Halloweentime at DLR has been pretty nicely represented here!

Congratulations on getting your Masters (and to your DBF for his undergraduate)!! Sounds like a perfect reason to celebrate with a trip to SoCal!!!

Well, hopefully my fellow DIS-ers who have been helping out on this thread from the beginning will jump in with their opinions/knowledge as well, but my guess is that any time in that first half of October will be pretty crowded, especially based on the large number of AP holders, the growing interest in Halloweentime at DLR and the new stuff coming to DCA (and based on how crowded it was last year in October).

However, I don't know the exact dates of the various Fall breaks, so I am not sure how those will impact the mid-week days you plan to go to DLR. I know Columbus Day is on 10/11, so the weekend preceding it will be crazy. Weekdays will definitely be better than weekends in terms of crowds, I would think. I think that, even if it is super crowded at DLR in the first 2 weeks of October, you should still be okay because you will have 3, or possibly 4, days to spread everything out and get it all done.

Be sure to post some nice photos for us here after you make your trip, and stay tuned to this thread as more info comes in and more photos are added!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #202
Disneylvrforever
Stitch is my puppy!

Ok, so here are my new additions to this wonderful thread:

DCA:

Halloween Roundup:

Dia de los Muertos:

French Market:

Main St. decor:

Last edited by Disneylvrforever; 04-19-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #203
Disneylvrforever
Stitch is my puppy!

More decor:

Food:

-French Market-

-Cookie Decorating @ Halloween Roundup-

-Plaza Inn-

-last year's Pumpkin Muffin-

Balloons!!!

Halloween Fireworks:

Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #204
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Disneylvrforever - You rock too!! You and Beth and everyone else who has posted photos here are certainly showing me that I missed out on a lot of photo-taking opportunities! (Darn those one-day trips - there is just not enough time for me to snap lots of pictures!!!

These pictures are excellent (then again, you always have some good stuff to share)!! Also, you must have read my mind! Whenever I think I have run out of holiday photos for the Disney at Christmas thread, I always seem to be able to scrape up more - even if they have people in them, even if they are too dark or too light or whatever, I can still find more of those to post. So when I was in Photobucket earlier today, pulling more Christmas pictures for that thread, I was thinking, "Do I have anything else I can add to the Halloween thread, or am I pretty much tapped out?" If I do scrape up anything else Halloween-ish, it would only be a couple more, and it wouldn't be anything unusual at all. I was thinking that we needed someone else to post more Halloween pictures here - and you came through!!

Again, I am constantly amazed at how many things a lot of us must skip over - where in the heck had that Candy Corn Churro Cart been hiding? I never saw it - not one time!! I was so excited to see that picture, as well as the other displays and things, because I am thinking there is a lot more to Halloweentime than what many of us are actually catching!! There are a lot of hidden little details, I think!

Thanks so much for sharing more of your fantastic pictures with us!!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #205
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Oh my goodness! You posted more, Disneylvrforever! I love love love those villains fireworks pictures!! Yay!!! These photos should please our many lurkers out there, and the faithful DIS-ers who have been following along here since the beginning!!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #206
Disneylvrforever
Stitch is my puppy!

Thanks Sherry for the kind words! I love taking pics of all the new things & additions Disney has to offer, especially during the holidays. My computer is literally running out of memory bc of all the Disney pics I have saved in it!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #207
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

LOVING the Halloween fireworks photos; awesome picture-taking!

I think the nightly "Halloween Screams" fireworks were one of the best things about Halloween 2009 at DLR. Unlike WDW, where you have to go to their version of the Trick-or-Treat party (extra $$) in the Magic Kingdom to see the Halloween fireworks, DLR visitors got them for FREE, EVERY NIGHT!!! I remember we were all stressing right up until the holiday hours were posted, not quite believing (despite the promos) that they would fire them off every night, but they did!

We saw them from Rivers of America right after Fantasmic the first time and you couldn't really see the big globe effect next to the castle. But we loved the music and the fireworks. The next night, we were leaving Tomorrowland just after 8 when they were supposed to start. They had been slightly delayed by the on-and-off drizzle, but they started them about 5 minutes late. We halted just onto Main Street and watched them. AWESOME!!

DS5 still runs around the house doing his best Jack Skellington impression: "This is Halloween, Halloween," and "Everybody SCREEEEEAM!"

PHXscuba

p.s. They also simulcast the fireworks music onto one of the DLR hotel TV channels so you can listen, especially if you have a DL view!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #208
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Well, I am scraping the bottom of the barrel here, as I have pretty much run totally out of anything resembling Halloweentime photos!! The ones that I found are either totally unoriginal and anti-climactic compared to the ones most recently posted by Disneylvrforever and Beth, OR they are not good quality (because they were taken on an old 35mm camera that was on its last legs, or they were taken on a cheap disposable) - this was before I got my new Canon last year. But, nonetheless, I felt I needed to contribute something more, so I scraped up these last little few photos!!

These are from 2007 - it was a rainy day off and on:

Nothing too unusual here, but I like the contrast of the dark Candy Corn and the blue sky with the cloud:

And this one is sort of interesting because you can see people with umbrellas in the lower right corner, but the blue sky is peeking through above the giant Candy Corn:

Pumpkin Santa Scarecrow dude:

Random Entrance shot:

Nighttime:

Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #209
BELLEDOZER
Evil MOM reporting for duty!!

I'm seriously thinking about heading to DL the first week of Oct/11, since my solo trip got delayed for 6 months due to financial woes. It looks like alot of fun, and satisfies my urge to take pcs. I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate answered. First off how is the weather in Oct? And secondly, do you have to dress up for the Trick or Treat Party, and if so how dressed up do you have to get? TIA

Trish
Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #210
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLEDOZER View Post
I'm seriously thinking about heading to DL the first week of Oct/11, since my solo trip got delayed for 6 months due to financial woes. It looks like alot of fun, and satisfies my urge to take pcs. I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate answered. First off how is the weather in Oct? And secondly, do you have to dress up for the Trick or Treat Party, and if so how dressed up do you have to get? TIA

Trish
I will jump in and then hopefully one of our "panel" members (as PHXscuba accurately named it quite a while back) can offer their insight and feedback as well.

First of all - I totally understand the financial woes and the DLR trip getting delayed because of it. That basically explains my whole 2009! I hope you are able to make it during October.

I have always thought weather in SoCal in October is on the unpredictable side. October is one of those months that may seem very much like it is still summer, with temperatures as high as the upper 90's at times (like when I went in 2008), or cool and windy at other times. Sometimes it can be raining, sometimes it is very, very dry. When it is dry and windy, that's when the wildfires start up, and so that can affect air quality. It is a very weird month. You never know if you will be getting nice 70-degree weather or 98-degree weather, rain or wind or super dry air!! When we went in 2007, it was pouring rain off and on during the day. When it wasn't raining, it was 80 degrees. In 2009, it was in the upper 90's and miserable. Last year, it was in the low 80's all day when we were there.

You don't have to dress up for the TOTP at all (I didn't - see photos on Page 1), and if you do, I think you can go all out and get really dressed up. I saw someone's wheelchair made up to look like a Haunted Mansion Doom Buggy, so that was particularly creative!!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: