Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #211
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Getting Ready for Round 2!

Arrrrrrrrrr, mateys!!

Although we are still discussing Pirate Latitudes, I'm beginning to make plans for our second book choice. Please take a minute to fill out the survey below. If you have any questions, let me know!

Thanks!

Nikki

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22AF6Z83MRT

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #212
Hankshouse
Mouseketeer

I've just finished and without releasing any "spoilers", I'll try to answer Nikkibell's conversation starters. First though, I said it before...I enjoyed the read - and this really isn't something I would have typically picked up. I did find the story ran a bit long in some parts and thin in others. Some of the battle scenes lost me a bit, yet I found I really would have loved more info on who Hunter was and how he got to his place in that world. I was also intrigued by Ann Sharpe and feel like a Part II all about her post Port Royal life would make an excellent novel on its own. Horror and gore, was never my fave, though I can see how it helped to keep the pirate mood throughout the story. So, I'd say overall - this hits me like a pretty good "beach" book and for that I give it a
Hankshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #213
katscradle
Left a special sweetness for many PCers in their FEs on the PCC#1

Can you please give as much notice as possible on the next book that is chosen, so I can participate.
2007-POR AND FW CABINS
2008-POR-AND BOUGHT DVC @ BLT!!
2009-MAY-PODCAST CRUISE AND SSR
2009-DEC-BLT FIRST TRIP HOME
katscradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:08 AM   #214
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

I'll do the best I can. Just keep checking here for more info.

Follow Me on Twitter

2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 AM   #215
hmonkeyruns
Mouseketeer

RE: Value of life human / animal

My take on the behavior is not so much that life was devalued but that death was just more real to these people. Most of us are lucky enough to live well into adulthood before we face death for the first time. In many ways it's just an abstract concept to us, not something that we have to deal with or accept even though we know that it exists. I think the remote nature of it lends drama to the way we all deal with death. It's so shocking when it actually happens that we're traumatized by it. In the era of the pirates death happened all the time, to people of all ages, so it was simply part of their everyday reality. It didn't necessarily mean less to them, it was just easier to for them to accept.

As for the animals, I think the pirates are more like people who grow up on farms. People who raise animals for food understand the system. Animals may be cute and cuddly and deserve good treatment while they are alive but they are also needed for food. It's just a fact of life for a lot of people.

In the modern era where we have such wide availability of food, it's easier to have more sympathy for animals. To think of them as living beings with rights rather than food sources.

All that said, pirates, like criminals of any era (mobsters, drug dealers, bank robbers, etc) are probably more violent than the average person. Killing people is just part of how they do business. I don't think anything has changed over the years for the people who choose to make their living on the fringe of society.
hmonkeyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #216
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Finito!

Congratulations! We've hit the end of Pirate Latitudes!!! For all of you out there who have been hesitant to discuss the end of the novel, feel free to go full steam ahead. I'll post a few discussion starters here and there to keep the conversation going.

One of the things that I wanted to bring up was the recurring theme of superstition throughout the text. Most recently, there's a scene in Part IV where several members of Hunter's crew perform rituals out of fear due to the pending hurricane.

"Belowdecks, the Moor took his dagger and cut his own finger, then drew a triangle on the desk with his blood...Lazue threw a casket of salt pork over the side, and held three fingers in the air..." (236).

While this was taking place, Hunter employed more traditional methods of conjuring up good luck.

"Hunter himself professed to despise such superstition, yet he went to his cabin, locked the door, got down on his knees, and prayed." (236)

This showed a strong contrast between the two spiritual worlds --- one traditional, one not. I don't find it surprising that Hunter, the all-spirited captain, was selected to use prayer while his crew instead used more pagan methods. I think the author was trying to comment on their roles in the novel in this way.

What are your thoughts on rituals and superstitions? Do you believe that it is possible to change the future through the invocation of positive energy, spirit, prayer, etc?

One thing that I found particularly surprising near this scene was Lady Sarah's magic practice. I don't recall a scene earlier in the text where we received true confirmation of her knowing magic, regardless of how often she uses it, until then (238). Was this done on purpose to add extra shock value to the end of the novel?

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 03-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #217
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

I think we still use a lot of "superstition" in our lives in present day as a way of trying to control what we have no control over....knock wood, salt over the shoulder,etc. I don't think we can so much change the future so much as change our outlook on it. For example, prayer might not change what happens but you can find a certain peace with what does happen.

I'm so glad that we've reached the end only because now I can say what drove me nuts and not have to worry about spoilers (I'd be the one to forget to put it in white )

Starting from about the hurricane scene things started to unravel for me only because there seemed to be storylines that were started and not finished, or seemed to have no place there. Lady Sarah's black magic is one of them!

Another was the Kraken .... I could buy a creature trying to pull the ship over but busting through windows and grabbling at legs? And the whole scene on the island with the cannibals struck me as so out of place that I'm surprised the editor left it in. Apart from a little trauma for Lady Sarah, which didn't really follow through very well, it was pointless....in fact when I got to that point I actually said out loud "what was the point in THAT!" causing me to have to explain to others that I was reading and not seeing things.

I did love the ending though! The govenor and the Hacklett's storylines were some of my favorites and the epilogue sent me running for the computer looking stuff up.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #218
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

That black magic thing struck me as odd too. Sort of out of the blue. The kracken scene was very descriptive but reminded me of the POTC. Like every myth and stereotype about pirates was here. The best part was finding out what Hacklett was u[ to while we were gone. I liked the "trial" and finding out who suddenly turned on him and what he did about.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #219
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

If I remember correctly - Hunter was from the colonies. Educated, Harvard? He would be more likely to have a strong religious background.

Seafaring folk were very superstitious.

I didn't think that Lady Sarah really knew magic. I think she saw women do it and maybe she saw it as a parlor game.

Last edited by mainegal; 04-01-2010 at 08:05 AM.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #220
dreamlinda
"dance to the music in your heart"

Hello Book Group - I confess, I was not reading along with the group, but happened to be reading this book over the last week. I found it just "ok". It seemed to me to be a young adult novel in the sense that topics came and went in a few pages without sustaining danger or tension.

I have no idea what the author's writing style may have been, but this seemed like an outline that was gaining depth layer by layer, and ultimitely was unfinished. Like many of you, I would have enjoyed more depth to some of the characters and find myself wanting to know more.

Looking forward to the next selection!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #221
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Linda, no need to apologize! I'm glad you were able to share your thoughts on the book. Are you going to join us for the next round?

Reminder to All: Please fill out the survey in Post 211 regarding Round 2!

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 04-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #222
dreamlinda
"dance to the music in your heart"

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Linda, no need to apologize! I'm glad you were able to share your thoughts on the book. Are you going to join us for the next round?
Thanks NikkiBell, I do plan on participating depending on the selection. I did complete the survey and listed some recommendations, but in general I read all areas of fiction (including mysteries which were not listed). Thanks!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #223
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
Seafaring folk were very superstitious.

I didn't think that Lady Sarah really knew magic. I think she saw women do it and maybe she saw it as a parlor game.
I think you're right about that. And isn't it amazing that what women thought of as parlour tricks men think is a threat and are more then willing to throw you overboard for!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #224
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

One of the things that struck me as surprising (not sure why though lol) was how Hunter went about killing so many people during the very end of the novel. It was surprising to me, but I'm not sure why. I guess the author put that sequence in to further prove the point that pirates were dangerous, cruel, and barbaric.

I was disappointed that we heard so little of Anne Sharpe and Lady Sarah. I really expected some big twist at the end where they revealed surprising information about the girls. That was a big let down for me. Anyone else?

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #225
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Hi folks....

Let me know when this thread is reaching it's end and I will begin a new discussion thread for whatever book is chosen as our nexy book club selection.

I will leave this thread open for further discussion ...well at least until I see it has become far less active.

Once the ABD trip is complete, I hope to be far more active with the discussion.

By the way...I think Nikki is doing an AWESOME job with this and would like to publicly say THANK YOU!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: