Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #181
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I was shocked at the amount of soldiers on the ship, too! The happenings on Mantanceros ran a bit slow for me, but picked up during the end. I hated the scene with the snake and Lazue. I'm very sensitive to animal cruelty and the image of the little chick being tied up for bait just made me ill. I noticed that the author never revealed what happened to the chick either. I'm assuming it was okay, but am not so sure.
I have a idea the chick did not make it. If the snake didn't get it, then probably one of the guys twirled it by the rope. Sorry. The way that book is, I can't see it any other way.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #182
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I was starting to feel that way, too. I was thinking it got killed in the pandemonium when the snake was shot.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #183
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

I have finished listening to the book.
I also read most of the book.

I needed to know the difference between pirate and privateer.
Googled and found in Wikipedia

A privateer was a private person or private warship authorized by a country's government by letters of marque to attack foreign shipping. Privateers were only entitled by their state to attack and rob enemy vessels during wartime. Privateers were part of naval warfare of some nations from the 16th to the 19th century. It has been argued that privateering was a less destructive and wasteful form of warfare, because the goal was to capture ships rather than to sink them.

for more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privateer

This helped me better understand the context of what was going on.

It really bothered me how little value a human life had. A man (well, usually a man) goes out to sea and in a flash of a knife doesn't get to go home. I kept thinking those men had mothers and wives and children at home who would never know what happened to their man. Of course, that was not an important aspect of the story! Just my personal concern, same as Nikki's concern about the animals.

I liked how the epilogue explained what happened to people.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #184
Merry Mousketeer
I've got a lot above my ears
We never miss them when we visit DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Hi All!

Have you had enough Mantaceros? Are you finished "monkeying" around at Monkey Bay? Things have been relatively quiet here over the past 2-3 days so I just wanted to get a progress update. Is everyone ready to move on to Part v and VI? If not, I'll wait a bit to post the next deadlines. Otherwise, I'll post them here tomorrow. Please check in and let me know where you are in the book for those of you who are still reading. I know a bunch finished it already, but also recognize that many are sticking with the schedule.
I am ready to move to the next section when everyone else is. I finished the book a couple of nights ago.
Merry Mousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #185
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I finished too but can't remember what happened in which part, so I'm not commenting on anything until someone else does so I don't accidentally give something away.

About the chicken- I was feeling rather "ooohhh" too but then thought better to loose a chick than a human life. And how lucky she was that they found one.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:30 AM   #186
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

I'm really lookng forward to open discussion on the last part of the book....this is the part I think I'll have the most to say about! That and I can't remember which part was where so I won't have to worry about spoilers anymore
Old 03-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #187
Bornteach

I agree! I am looking forward to just talking about the entire thing as well!

Bornteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #188
hmonkeyruns
Mouseketeer

This may be a little premature, but can we kick off a discussion either here, or in the main book club thread, about the next book we'll read as a group?

I think if we choose a book this week for April, it might give people a bit of a headstart to get a copy before it's time to start reading so we can all be more on the same page.

I think this has gone pretty well but there was a delay in the beginning getting the book since some people could jump in right away by Kindle and others had to wait for the library and stuff like that.

Just a thought.
hmonkeyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #189
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

I got the book from the library!!!

Time to start reading... good time anyway...it's cold and yucky here...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #190
sc9500
Hile... Gunslinger...

As I move towards the end of this book Im leaning towards likening this adventure more to "The Odyssey or the Illiad" than to "Oceans 11"

Deodorant people.. deodorant
sc9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #191
esddk
Earning My Ears

Ready to move ahead, I should finish it by tomorrow night.

Thanks for the responses about the rope on the cliff. I am glad that I wasn't the only one and that I didn't miss something obvious. (It's happened many times before.)
Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #192
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

I am still half way through part III, but I have to return it to the library by Saturday. It is a new book, so only got to check it out for 2 weeks. I will have it completed by Saturday!
A.Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #193
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmonkeyruns View Post
This may be a little premature, but can we kick off a discussion either here, or in the main book club thread, about the next book we'll read as a group?

I think if we choose a book this week for April, it might give people a bit of a headstart to get a copy before it's time to start reading so we can all be more on the same page.

I think this has gone pretty well but there was a delay in the beginning getting the book since some people could jump in right away by Kindle and others had to wait for the library and stuff like that.

Just a thought.
I'm currently exploring ideas for the next round. If you have a suggestion, feel free to PM me. I will be asking for feedback on the first round soon.

I will set our last deadlines tomorrow. We all need to remember that everyone reads at different paces and there are some who don't have the luxury of time to read as often as some of us do. Those who listen to the book will also finish much faster.

In the meantime, I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on "Mantaceros" and "Monkey Bay."

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #194
tanyabanana
Mouseketeer

Checking in..I am almost done with the book. It has been a hard one for me to get into. It has picked up a bit for me towards the end. I am enjoying Anne and Lazue characters and agree with others who said they are interested in learning more about them. I also liked the grenade building explanation for some reason

I have never read a Crichton book before and even though is one has been slow going I am going to try another one of his books soon, maybe Jurassic Park.

I find everyone elses responses to this book interesting and look forward to finishing the book!

tanyabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #195
tammyroo
Mouseketeer

I learned something else at the Real Pirates exhibit that made me understand why men, and some women, would choose the violent lifestyle of a pirate. Evidently, the Navy was very hierarchical--meaning only the officers ever really gained anything and had any kind of comfort on board. The lower ranks made very little, if anything, in wages, which I found surprising. Sometimes, men and boys were "pressed" into service. So, basically they were slave labor.
Whereas, for pirates it really was a type of democracy (everything divided up equally) and could be much more lucrative in terms of making a living. Pirate captains weren't really any higher up than anyone else on board. He basically was the strategist for battle but otherwise had no special privileges. He didn't even have rights to the captain's cabin if someone wanted it.
So, pirating made much better since in terms of earning a living. I was a bit more sympathetic to their plight once I realized the Navy was pretty abusive at that time. Still, its all pretty ruthless.

The towns in the book that welcome the pirates also make sense given that the pirates had a lot of money to throw around and keep the businesses and town afloat. I wouldn't want to live in such a place but it certainly makes sense if people are trying to survive. Sounds a bit like the Wild West....lawlessness, people turning a blind eye, etc
tammyroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: