Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #166
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

My computer was down last week so I had plenty of free time and blew through the book. Thought it was OK in what I term fluff reading. Somewhat predictable and nothing really stood out as “that was really an interesting (and plausible) twist.” I won’t say that it was a paint by numbers book but I agree with others that it seemed more like a movie treatment than a novel. Enjoyable, yes. Memorable, no.
cj9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #167
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I'm almost at the end of the book. I think at this point I'd give it a 3 out 5. That is what I give to movies that ok. Not horrible but not extra special either. It kept me interested. Comments on part VI in white:

I was surprised about what had been happening while they were gone. That got interesting for me. I knew that guy was up to no good. On the one hand, by not telling us what was happening there made it a surprise to us as it was to the "pirates" when they returned. On other hand, a little look here and there would have been interesting. I'm not through yet, but it seems to be wrapping up rather easily.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #168
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
This was a pretty powerful scene, don't you think? Hunter needed to be quick on his feet and figure out a way to scale the cliff or face ultimate peril. How would you react in a situation like this? Would you be able to remain calm as did Hunter? Have you ever faced a life or death situation like this?
Thankfully I've never had to face a life and death situation (unless i've blocked it from memory!) but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have reacted like Hunter. I'd have been more like Lazue..."MOTHER OF GOD! MOTHER OF GOD! MOTHER OF GOD!"

I really like the way MC wrote this scene though....I could really picture the whole scene and feel the adreniline.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #169
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Hahaha. I agree! I so would have been screaming "OH MY GOD!" at the top of my lungs in a situation like that!!!!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #170
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

Quote:
Hahaha. I agree! I so would have been screaming "OH MY GOD!" at the top of my lungs in a situation like that!!!!
I probably would have thrown up and cried.
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #171
Hankshouse
Mouseketeer

I heard "Cliff Climbing" will be the next adventure ride at WDW! Having never read Crichton before, I was speaking to a friend of mine who is an avid reader and has read several of his books and she says this style of "all plot and action, no character development" is definitely his "thing". I also disagree that he wrote this with a movie in mind. I believe it's the other way around. His style of writing lends itself to being recreated on the big screen. And look at how successful it's been!

I know that I for one would never have made it to the top of the cliff. Considering that I was the kid in gym class who could never climb more than a quarter inch up the rope, I'm pretty sure I'd be a goner. Thankfully, I have never had a life or death situation that required rope climbing skills. Or otherwise

I've read people mentioning that this is not normally a book they'd read themselves. Well, that's the beauty of book clubs! Just wait a year from now when we look back and see all the books we've read. It's fantastic!!
Hankshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #172
wildfan1473
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This was a pretty powerful scene, don't you think? Hunter needed to be quick on his feet and figure out a way to scale the cliff or face ultimate peril. How would you react in a situation like this? Would you be able to remain calm as did Hunter? Have you ever faced a life or death situation like this?
I'd never been in a life or death situation (unless you count snowmobiling on a frozen lake stiff with fear that you're going to hit open water with 30 pounds of gear on), but I'd like to think I'd have some wits about me to keep going and do what needs to be done and survive.

Unfortunately, with the way I panic about the simplest things...I'd be dead in a heartbeat.

Finished the book the other night. (I got a notice from the library that since it was an inter-library loan, it was only available for 2 weeks, and I couldn't renew it. I really do not like our small town library ) I liked it, I would have eventually read it as it was on my list. It wasn't a can't-put-down book, but it was entertaining. Most of it was predictable, although I must say, I love the poetic justice at the end!
wildfan1473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #173
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankshouse View Post
I heard "Cliff Climbing" will be the next adventure ride at WDW! Having never read Crichton before, I was speaking to a friend of mine who is an avid reader and has read several of his books and she says this style of "all plot and action, no character development" is definitely his "thing". I also disagree that he wrote this with a movie in mind. I believe it's the other way around. His style of writing lends itself to being recreated on the big screen. And look at how successful it's been!

I know that I for one would never have made it to the top of the cliff. Considering that I was the kid in gym class who could never climb more than a quarter inch up the rope, I'm pretty sure I'd be a goner. Thankfully, I have never had a life or death situation that required rope climbing skills. Or otherwise

I've read people mentioning that this is not normally a book they'd read themselves. Well, that's the beauty of book clubs! Just wait a year from now when we look back and see all the books we've read. It's fantastic!!
I was also this kid in P.E. class! That's a great connection you have made to the book.

Thanks for being so positive about the group. I'm loving it as well!

Follow Me on Twitter

2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 03-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #174
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Hi All,

Please feel free to begin discussing Part III here. It focuses on the crew's arrival in Mantanceros. What are your thoughts? Did you find anything particularly problematic or relieving in this section?

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #175
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

SPOILER for end of Part II

I just started reading Part III today! I am totally loving this book so far! It is not something I would have ever picked up for myself at the library. I am really enjoying reading all the posts and learning about the times back then.

I love how descriptive the book is, it plays or reads just like a movie.

I can't believe they escaped Cazella's ship!
That was impressive...there seemed to be quite a few soldiers on the ship! Weren't 20 just suppose to look over them?

I can't wait to see what happens on Mantanceros!!

And I really hope we keep doing these book clubs for a long time to come!!
A.Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #176
esddk
Earning My Ears

I am enjoying this book but do agree that it seems written with a movie in mind.

One thing bothered me in the climb of the cliff and I apologize if it was covered earlier. I read quite a few posts and didn't see it. How did the Moor get his rope to the top of the cliff so he could climb up first? It did say he climbed a rope and it seems like a long way to throw a grappling hook.

Thanks for the interesting discussion points. I definitely would have been screaming in Hunter's place and don't think I would have survived without a miracle.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #177
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

I agree with you about that, Susan. I don't understand how that entire rope climbing situation began. I felt it was a bit off in the description of it. I have this image in my head of a huge cliff and the author even describes it as this incredibly dangerous point on the island. If that's so, how did the hook get thrown up there with such ease? Anyone else have ideas about this?

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 03-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #178
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Funny, I never thought of it until everyone pointed it out.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #179
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Hi All!

Have you had enough Mantaceros? Are you finished "monkeying" around at Monkey Bay? Things have been relatively quiet here over the past 2-3 days so I just wanted to get a progress update. Is everyone ready to move on to Part v and VI? If not, I'll wait a bit to post the next deadlines. Otherwise, I'll post them here tomorrow. Please check in and let me know where you are in the book for those of you who are still reading. I know a bunch finished it already, but also recognize that many are sticking with the schedule.

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 03-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #180
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Mickey View Post
SPOILER for end of Part II

I just started reading Part III today! I am totally loving this book so far! It is not something I would have ever picked up for myself at the library. I am really enjoying reading all the posts and learning about the times back then.

I love how descriptive the book is, it plays or reads just like a movie.

I can't believe they escaped Cazella's ship!
That was impressive...there seemed to be quite a few soldiers on the ship! Weren't 20 just suppose to look over them?

I can't wait to see what happens on Mantanceros!!

And I really hope we keep doing these book clubs for a long time to come!!
I was shocked at the amount of soldiers on the ship, too! The happenings on Mantanceros ran a bit slow for me, but picked up during the end. I hated the scene with the snake and Lazue. I'm very sensitive to animal cruelty and the image of the little chick being tied up for bait just made me ill. I noticed that the author never revealed what happened to the chick either. I'm assuming it was okay, but am not so sure.

Follow Me on Twitter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: