Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Cruise with just a passport card?
Yes 17 26.56%
No 47 73.44%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Would you cruise with just a passport card?

The only reason I can see for hesitation is needing to be airlifted for medical reasons- but that's a pretty big 'if'!
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

The passport card is intended for border land crossings between the US and Canada and the US and Mexico. You cannot use it for international flights. Therefore, it would do you no good if you had to fly home from the Bahamas for a medical emerency. You are not required to have a passport for closed loop cruises, but if you wanted one for piece of mind, go ahead and get the passport.

Last edited by disneyfaninaz; 02-28-2010 at 11:20 AM.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
msmayor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
The only reason I can see for hesitation is needing to be airlifted for medical reasons- but that's a pretty big 'if'!
Or missing the ship and needing to fly somewhere to catch up with it. You can't fly to a foreign country without a passport, and you can't fly to another US port to board.
Oct 1997: All Star Sports
Oct 2000: Dixie Landings
Aug 2005: Wilderness Lodge
Aug 2008: Shades of Green...Family Grand Gathering
Aug 2010: One Day at MK - cruise stop!
Jun 2014: Boardwalk
msmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
HappyPeach
Mouseketeer

I would not. If there was an emergency at home and you needed to disembark and fly home from an int'l airport, you couldn't do it. The difference in cost isn't that great so I would recommend anyone get the regular passport book.

Last edited by HappyPeach; 02-28-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: to fix a typo
HappyPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmayor View Post
Or missing the ship and needing to fly somewhere to catch up with it. You can't fly to a foreign country without a passport, and you can't fly to another US port to board.
Good point!
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
lbuher
DIS Veteran

OK, I voted yes because we DID cruise with just passport cards for our kiddos in January (DH and I already had passports). But the only reason I got them the passport cards was because of info that our SWV TA sent to us, strongly recommending them. That was before I found this board and learned a little more about what was actually required and what passport cards WOULDN'T do. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just used the birth certificates for the kids and saved the money - the passport cards honestly seem to be a complete and total waste of money.

Live and learn......

No ticker right now....

1999 NCL
2007 RCL Sovereign of the Seas
2010 Disney Wonder
2011 Disney Dream
lbuher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

As above, the passport card has very limited use--border crossings. It is not good for international flights, and is not required for the cruise. Thus, I'd either go for the real thing (the passport), or not spend any money and cruise on a birth certificate.

With a passport card, you'd still have to jump thru the hoop of getting a real passport "in the unlikely event of a real emergency." So what is the point of spending the bucks of the card?
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
clten
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't spend the money on a passport card. I just sent for my passport renewal. Before I sent it in, I racked my brain to come up with a situation that I would use the passport card (was thinking of getting one with my passport book, not instead of one). I couldn't think of one situation where I would need it (I don't ever drive to Canada or Mexico).

On a cruise, they are as useful to you as a birth certificate. If you have an emergency, neither one (passport card or birth certificate) is going to provide you with the id you will need to fly home!
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I've had a current Passport for over 30 years, and my now adult kids have had them since age 2. I'd say either get a Passport, or use your birth certificate on the cruise, the Passport cards seem like a gimick that often is useless. Just get a passport.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
... the Passport cards seem like a gimick that often is useless. Just get a passport.
I agree with what most have posted. For the purposes of cruising the PP is the way to go. For some however, whose only international travel is relative short distance via ground into Canada or Mexico the PC is a good, cheaper option.

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
b00kw0rm429
Mouseketeer

I think we are just going with birth certificates...4 passports is a bit much at the moment when we are saving every penny. Our children will be with us on this cruise (and hubby's side of the family), everyone else can fend for themselves for the 4 days we are gone! When we cruise the following year for our 20th anniversary, we will have passports because our children will be at home and we will want to be able to be there quickly in the case of an emergency.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
Princess April
DIS Veteran

We are cruising with my grandfather who is 82 and suffering from prostate cancer. He's fine for the most part, but he does have a catheter in, and sometimes it gets blocked up and need to be changed... immediately! I told him..... no passport, no cruise! I said, look I'm paying for the cruise, and I WILL loose the $$$ if you don't have a passport at the time of travel, cause I won't let you get on the ship!!! ... He knows I am 100% serious... he raised me!!!
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
Princess April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #13
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

We all keep valid passports - we booked a Med cruise for 2011 and we're all set with valid passports. If we'd have purchased the ID cards they would've been a waste. They were all ordered at different times / years so we don't get hit with renewal fees all at once. I just have to remember to check their expiration dates and make sure they're all still valid for at least 6 months after our travel dates. I am glad I didn't skimp on them and try to take a shortcut. We have no worries about leaving the country now for any reason.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
Tarabra
DIS Veteran

We're not doing either for our closed loop cruise next month. Just using birth certificates.

Tarabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I agree with the others: either stick with birth certificates or get passports. I see no advantage of a passport card.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: