Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #121
daisy2jae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonsmom View Post
When we took our "Once in a Lifetime" trip in Nov 2008, we caught a lot of slack for it because, we were always crying poverty (we had accumilated a lot of debt in the first 7 years of our marriage), but when I won a settlement from a car accident, I decided to put just enough money aside to take a REAL vacation and treat my little family to a well deserved break. I figured that this would be our one and only trip to Disney so I was going to get as much out of it as I could....
...since that trip, we have gone to WDW 2 more times in 2009 and we are now planning a trip to DL for July 2010. AND we are now debt free.

We still struggle with money and with making our ends meet, but what we've gotten out of our family vacations to Disney have been priceless.

People may wonder if we have our priorities straight, and that's fine, go a head and wonder. I myself have no doubt about what my priorities are.

My mother in particular has a hard time understanding this "childish obsession" as she puts it with Disney, especially since growing up she literally gave us the world and I don't mean Disney World - I mean the world,world. She had my sister and I traveling all over the globe. She hate the idea that I was a world traveler by age 3 and now that I am an adult I waste my money by making Disney as my destination of choice.
daisy2jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #122
daisy2jae
DIS Veteran

Can't wait for our trip in September. We're keeping it a secret from EVERYONE even the kids! Don't want to hear "Your going again!". I wish I could see their faces when they go on facebook Sept 4th and see a picture of us at the castle smiling!
daisy2jae is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2010, 03:58 AM   #123
let'sgo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2jae View Post
can't wait for our trip in september. We're keeping it a secret from everyone even the kids! Don't want to hear "your going again!". I wish i could see their faces when they go on facebook sept 4th and see a picture of us at the castle smiling!
priceless!
let'sgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #124
naholder
Earning My Ears

DH and I work at an elementary school where a few of the teacher go to Disney on vacations. So the question we hear a lot is "Do you all see each other there?" The answer to that is i NO.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #125
dzneelvr
A Disney Dolly
Doesn't mind if her gnomes kick the bucket after a year!

Just last week I got the "raised eyebrow" from a co worker. I think they don't understand how a family can make WDW evolve to fit the preferences of a family's ages; those who haven't gone tend to think of it one dimensionally for small children. DS is now 22 and DD 20, but they love going and staying onsite as much if not more than when they were small kids. we do more of some things, less of others, more experimenting with dining, more tours and behind the scenes, etc. Simply said: we consider ourselves so fortunate to have a family all together on vacation and that brings a positive comment 99.9% of the time
dzneelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #126
2luvmickey
Where my dreams always come true...

Why do I love to go to Disney? Because I feel it is a place I can share some common ground with my growing sons. We love the rides, the fireworks, the movies. My DS 18 isn't too shot up on Disney, but he did enjoy a day at Disneyland with his cousins.

It's your life, your family, YOUR CHOICE.

I love the "because I can!" line.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #127
mouseseeker
Earning My Ears

good grief!

I don't understand why people care how many times or when we go to Disney. Disney puts a smile on my face and makes me happy. I plan atleast 6 months out. I have been to Disney at least 15 times in my life and I am only 32 years old! Only my husband and kids should care if we go every year and they enjoy the trips
mouseseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #128
Fantasmic23
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseseeker View Post
I don't understand why people care how many times or when we go to Disney. Disney puts a smile on my face and makes me happy. I plan atleast 6 months out. I have been to Disney at least 15 times in my life and I am only 32 years old! Only my husband and kids should care if we go every year and they enjoy the trips
I love ALL of you! Seriously. Finally, people who "get" the whole wonderful Disney thing.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #129
epcotprincess
Love all of WDW, but Epcot is my happy place!

The bottom line is that some people just. don't. get. it.

Forget them, tell them you're so excited. Then move on.

You'll meet them around every corner. I was telling someone the other day that I've been on countless other vacations and always came home like, "yeah, x place was ok." I have never come home with the same "that was AWESOME" feeling I have when I leave WDW, and that's why we return.

The point is, if they're not paying for it, you don't owe them an explanation, and they don't have the right to make you feel stupid or bad. Some people I know go to Vegas twice a year, and I don't get that either, but it's their money and their time off work. I don't understand other people's obsession with questioning some people's choices in vacation venues. Get over it! Sheesh.

Me & DH DD4 and DS2
epcotprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #130
GrumpyDad1974
Mouseketeer

I used to try and explain to them that the cost was the same or less than a week in the mountains or the beach when you factor in everything... but nobody listened, they just assumed we are "rich" (not so) because 1 of our weeks is in Disney... So now I just let them think we spend $5000 for a week every year, i think it a jealousy thing???
2008 September-Pop Century (Free Dining) 2009 June-Pop Century (Buy 4 get 3 Free) 2010 June-Loews Royal Pacific Hotel (Stay 7 pay 4) 2010 December- Pop Century (Free Dinning) 2012 March-All Star Sports (Free Dinning) 2013 March US/IOA/SW/BG (aka the darkside trip) 2014 April Pop Century
I've been BOO'ED!!!
GrumpyDad1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #131
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

I don't think it's a "jealous" thing. I have to listen to my parents complain about us "always" going. We went to Disney in 2008 for our honeymoon and Universal this year. As you can see from my ticker we aren't going back for another 5 years. They thought we would do something more "mature". Laying on a beach all day isn't our thing. We have summers off and can go to the beach everyday. We do go to other places but I truly believe that people say ,"you're going again?" because they are grumps who just don't get the levels of fun that are at Disney. They don't understand or care to look past the mouse.
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #132
Fantasmic23
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentandGoons View Post
I truly believe that people say ,"you're going again?" because they are grumps who just don't get the levels of fun that are at Disney. They don't understand or care to look past the mouse.
Exactly! I don't think that it's a jealousy/envy thing, either. I have learned in these past few months that no matter how hard I try to "sell" Disney (Even just talking about it in glowing terms), there are some people who just won't budge. Some people are very interested and enthusiastically ask questions and then there are the GRUMPS. I just change the subject and move on.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #133
dis75ney
Member of the Royal Society For Putting Things On Top Of Other Things...
My feet will stay firmly planted on the ground where they belong

Location: Land of four seasons: Baseball, Football, Basketball, and Road Construction...

My parents are the biggest culprits of this. Whenever they bring up the "You're going to Disney AGAIN? When are you going to see the rest of the world?" line, I sweetly remind them that there are other places in the world besides Vegas, London, and Jamaica (their preferred vacation spots). Usually shuts them up for a while...
Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #134
Keishag
Mouseketeer

I think we'll probably keep our next trip pretty quiet as I'm fully expecting the same responses. We were there June of 09 and are returning in October, but DH and I figure our kids are only this age once, and we're not promised tomorrow or todays income!! Why not make the best of today while we're able to? Who knows if we'll always be able to afford Disney or not.
October 2010 POR- Free Dining
June 2009 Saratoga Springs- our first family trip to Disney
Keishag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #135
Evi
DIS Veteran

When they mention it smile let the sparkle shine in your eyes at just the thought of going and then just nod. They'll see how happy just thinking about going is making you and then you'll just leave them wondering if your a nut or if there missing something.

Who really cares if they think your a nut.......
Evi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: