Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #91
kjs1976
Thanks for the magic, Walt!

Yea, my SIL said it once and she's never been so nuts to her. Then there are some other who say it and I just nod and smile. Then when they announce their yearly Branson trip I can say, "You're going THERE again?!?" and see how they react to a taste of their own medicine.
2X Disney Land
5 B-Days spent in WDW and 1 in DL!
kjs1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #92
taymacsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmic23 View Post
: So, we got back from WDW last Sunday and by Monday, DH and I were already planning our February 2011 trip. And somebody pinch me ... DH told me tonight at dinner to do research about a WDW Resort (We've stayed at a condo in Kissimmee the last 2 years)!! But I digress.

This week, we've been telling various family members and friends about our recent WDW trip. Somewhere in the course of the conversation we will casually add, "We're going back next year." We're usually met with stunned silence and then the old "You're going back to Disney again? Why? You've already been."

The first few times, it was easy to explain: "Well, all of us love it there (DD and DS, too), we only really get one vacation a year and this is where we want to go ..." After the fourth or fifth time of explaining, I was starting to get irritated.

My biggest irritation is that the majority of the people who were giving us the third degree about going to Disney yet again, are the same people who choose to vacation in the same spot every year: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, the Jersey Shore, etc. A family member pushed me to the brink this morning and I finally asked, "Well, why do you go back to such and such every year?" She explained that such and such is beautiful, she's the happiest when she's there, she's relaxed ... Well, that's EXACTLY how my family feels about Disney! After that, the family member changed the subject. Well, if that's what it took ...

How do you handle the "You're going to Disney again?" people? DH thinks we should just stop telling people that we're going.

UPDATE: Since I made this post, we have booked a late November/early December trip! We haven't told a soul ... yet.
Thank you for starting this thread! I always felt like I was the only one who was "afraid" to tell certain people that we were going back again. I am with your DH. I just stopped telling these people until I am actually leaving.

We have gone every 4 years since 1998 but are going back in 2011 even though it will have only been 2 years. I haven't told anyone yet because I am already anticipating the questions and don't feel like dealing with them.

Thanks for making me feel so not alone!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #93
goofy Jr. 88
Mouseketeer

Disney again

There are a lot of people that don't get Disney, and that's OK (shorter lines for us).
I also ride a motorcycle and believe me, there a even more people that don't get that.
If people were just a little more open minded...

Anyway, those non Disney types have there own perception of reality and they can keep it.

93 days until AKL

DISdad # 383
goofy Jr. 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #94
wisblue
DIS Veteran

There's a flip side to this. I will often tell people that I was in Florida for a few days or a week, and if they ask where I went I will say simply "The Disney Resort" to emphasize that we are going to a multi faceted resort and not just a couple of theme parks.

It's surprising how many people (some of whom are the last people you'd expect) will say, "Oh, we love going to Disney World" and "We go there at least once a year".

I think it's funny, too, that some of the people that I play golf with think it's strange that I like to spend a week just enjoying the entertainment the resort has to offer and the time with family members. Yet, some of these same people regularly take trips with some of their "golfing buddies" playing 36 holes of golf a day and drinking and smoking cigars with "the guys" afterward. I just never had the need for that kind of "male bonding" excursion. Those people probably think WDW is expensive without thinking twice about dropping $100-$200 in greens fees for a round of golf at a fancy resort.

To each his own. I'm not going to apologize because I've found something that I enjoy to do once or twice a year.
wisblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #95
mskermit
Mouseketeer

i guess we could all go on and on about why we love to go. I think one of my biggest reasons I keep going is my DD. She is 14 and has Spina Bifida, uses a wheelchair and crutches to walk. She is treated so well while she is there and for once does not have to feel like she doesnt fit in. We will go other places and people will just stare at her sometimes and it just aggravagtes me to no end!! In the parks, she is treated like a princess and her disability seems to go away! It is very hard for a 14 year old to be handicapped, but the one place she can feel comfortable is Disney. KUDOS!! to Disney for taking care of their special needs friends
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Art of Animation 08-13 & 03-14
Pop Century 9-14

mskermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #96
Lauralee131
DIS Veteran

We've been known to go anywhere from 3 to 5 times in a year and we get that ALL the time...

Depending on the person, I may give them some insight as to the things that keep me coming back continuously, but usually I end up going with:

"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand"...
Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #97
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

Thankfully, my entire family are Disney fans, so they are envious when we plan a new trip. For everyone else who can't comprehend two middle-age adults going to Disney regularly, I just smile and shrug and say "good thing you're not invited!"
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #98
mskermit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I loveStitchnippyjon View Post
Thankfully, my entire family are Disney fans, so they are envious when we plan a new trip. For everyone else who can't comprehend two middle-age adults going to Disney regularly, I just smile and shrug and say "good thing you're not invited!"

LOL, good answer!!
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Pop Century 9-14

Old 05-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #99
mskermit
Mouseketeer

i just realized that today i passed earning my ears and i am now an official mouseketeer!!! yeay for me!!
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Pop Century 9-14

Old 05-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #100
raven69david
I am a Superuser. Got a problem with that?!

Am I glad I found this thread. This is what I get all the time. I tell them I'm going in February, April, May, August, October and December and they freak out. They look like this: ....and I'm like "what's the big deal?!" \

When my vacation comes up I'll get the "you're going again?" statement and I'll say "of course, where else do I go?" <check my sig>
1997-2003: Off-site, 2004: DD born ; missed this year, 2005: SoG for MVMCP, 2006: AKLSV for Magical Beginnings, 2007: ASMo/AKLSV for MVMCP, 2008: CSR for Surprise Trip in August, 2008: AKLSV/CR/POP for MVMCP, December 2008May 2009: Pop/AKLSV, August 2009: POFQ/WL-CL, December 2009: AKLSV for MVMCP Too many since then to list and WAYYY tttoooooooo many more to go.............
raven69david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #101
Fantasmic23
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskermit View Post
i just realized that today i passed earning my ears and i am now an official mouseketeer!!! yeay for me!!
Yay!!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #102
Leonsmom
Adding that little personal touch and giving a big smile
Going to see the World for the First Time! (Again)

When we took our "Once in a Lifetime" trip in Nov 2008, we caught a lot of slack for it because, we were always crying poverty (we had accumilated a lot of debt in the first 7 years of our marriage), but when I won a settlement from a car accident, I decided to put just enough money aside to take a REAL vacation and treat my little family to a well deserved break. I figured that this would be our one and only trip to Disney so I was going to get as much out of it as I could....
...since that trip, we have gone to WDW 2 more times in 2009 and we are now planning a trip to DL for July 2010. AND we are now debt free.

We still struggle with money and with making our ends meet, but what we've gotten out of our family vacations to Disney have been priceless.

People may wonder if we have our priorities straight, and that's fine, go a head and wonder. I myself have no doubt about what my priorities are.

My mother in particular has a hard time understanding this "childish obsession" as she puts it with Disney, especially since growing up she literally gave us the world and I don't mean Disney World - I mean the world,world. She had my sister and I traveling all over the globe. She hate the idea that I was a world traveler by age 3 and now that I am an adult I waste my money by making Disney as my destination of choice.

My 1st ever PTR-Planing Our First Family Trip to WDW - Nov 28-Dec 6 2008 - Bargain Hunter style!
My DISigns
My Blog:http://leonsmom.wordpress.com/
Leonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #103
mskermit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonsmom View Post
When we took our "Once in a Lifetime" trip in Nov 2008, we caught a lot of slack for it because, we were always crying poverty (we had accumilated a lot of debt in the first 7 years of our marriage), but when I won a settlement from a car accident, I decided to put just enough money aside to take a REAL vacation and treat my little family to a well deserved break. I figured that this would be our one and only trip to Disney so I was going to get as much out of it as I could....
...since that trip, we have gone to WDW 2 more times in 2009 and we are now planning a trip to DL for July 2010. AND we are now debt free.

We still struggle with money and with making our ends meet, but what we've gotten out of our family vacations to Disney have been priceless.

People may wonder if we have our priorities straight, and that's fine, go a head and wonder. I myself have no doubt about what my priorities are.

My mother in particular has a hard time understanding this "childish obsession" as she puts it with Disney, especially since growing up she literally gave us the world and I don't mean Disney World - I mean the world,world. She had my sister and I traveling all over the globe. She hate the idea that I was a world traveler by age 3 and now that I am an adult I waste my money by making Disney as my destination of choice.
good for you, i think everyone deserves a vacation. I am a single mom and I work a full time job and have a few side jobs. Yea i struggle like we all do but i am so deserving of my disney vacation. my kids have all they need, bills are paid and it takes me a year to pay for my vacation. we stay at FW in the cabins, which aren't cheap but who cares!!! its convenient for me with my handicapped daughter. you only live once, enjoy life to the fullest and make the most of it all!!!!!
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Pop Century 9-14

Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #104
gilby
DIS Veteran

I tell them we don't smoke or sit in a bar, that is how we can afford to go on trips, shuts them right up.
2008 Pop-Century
2010 Pop-century
2011 Pop-Century
2012 POR
2013 POR
2014 pop century
2014 Pop century
gilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #105
MTLFamily
Earning My Ears

Our family of 5 gets a similar "Disney Again?" response from friends and family.
I just call myself the Disney Nut of the family and after a few laughs the subject changes.
I really don't think most people know how affordable and enjoyable a vacation it is. Enjoy, Cheers.
MTLFamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: