Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #31
ClareH37
DIS Veteran
 
ClareH37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: in my own little world
Posts: 1,748

I've gone ahead and booked Jiko your photos look good enough to eat!

That's such a shame about The Wave, I'd also booked a breakfast there before heading over to MK but looking at what you had, I think I'll give it a miss, very disappointing.
__________________



1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL
ClareH37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #32
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming
 
vinotinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ATL
Posts: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
First up was a cup of less than stellar Disney Coffee. The wave is supposed to serve Organic Colombian coffee but this tasted like weak Nescafe to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
I mistakenly went with the waffle. It was bland and boring and I didn't detect any "multi grains". It tasted like a plain, boring regular waffle.
Well, I had The Wave on my breakfast list, but not anymore! Loved the idea of Organic Colombian coffee and particularly multi-grain waffles. And that's my "beef" with multi-grain. They'll add an extra flour to regular white flour and call it "multigrain." Always tough to find those whole grains at Disney.
__________________

Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL
Oct 2013 - PBH
Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP)
Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP)
May-June 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP)
Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP)
Oct 2009 - BC (DDP)
May 2004 - RPR
April 1995 - AsMu (college trip)
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #33
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

 
emmysmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Near Disneyland
Posts: 4,621

I know I'm late but I wanted to jump in here anyway! Jiko sounds amazing. Sorry about The Wave... the server is lucky he got the 10% you gave him. And that chicken sausage....it looks horrible! Yuck!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #34
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!
 
darthtatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Leicestershire UK
Posts: 2,934

Awww thats such a shame you didnt have a great breakfast. I agree theres always one meal that is such a let down, there shouldnt be the prices we pay. We stay at the Contemporary but have yet to try the Wave, still not sure we want to try it. Mind you ive seen other reviews and the food looks delishious, yours looks as described.
Cant wait to see what you had at Kona
__________________
Nicky.xx
May 2004 - Wedding@ Disneys Wedding Pavillion
May 2004 - Honeymoon@ Contemporary Resort
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge@Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday@Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #35
connorsmom911
DIS Veteran
 
connorsmom911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: canada
Posts: 1,098

Loving your dining report!! You have inspired me to one day take a solo trip on the DxDP, although I'll have to wait a few years until my kids are older and my mom no longer wants to take our mother-daughter getaways.

I totally agree with you about Jiko!! My mom and I dined there last fall for my birthday meal and it was the best meal I have ever had, ANYWHERE!!! We were lucky enough to have the most amazing server as well, so much so that I wrote a glowing letter to guest services about his service! I'm almost afraid to eat there again for fear that my expectations have been set so high.
__________________
Tracey "Por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas"
Me Connor (11) Caeden (6)...or better yet... Me and the boys

Life in Six Words..."Making My Own Happily Ever After"
connorsmom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #36
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater
 
MickeyNicki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Naples Florida
Posts: 21,464

I loved that dessert from Jiko...if we ever go back to Jiko we will dine on appies and desserts since they are incredible!

So sorry about your Wave breakfast but those pitiful sausage links would send me running to the nearest CS place!
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #37
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part
 
PrincessTrisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Scarborough ON
Posts: 3,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareH37 View Post
I've gone ahead and booked Jiko your photos look good enough to eat!

That's such a shame about The Wave, I'd also booked a breakfast there before heading over to MK but looking at what you had, I think I'll give it a miss, very disappointing.
Jiko truly was outstanding - I hope you love it as much as I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinotinto View Post


Well, I had The Wave on my breakfast list, but not anymore! Loved the idea of Organic Colombian coffee and particularly multi-grain waffles. And that's my "beef" with multi-grain. They'll add an extra flour to regular white flour and call it "multigrain." Always tough to find those whole grains at Disney.
Yeah I agree - they may call it "multigrain" but it was not what I expect of a multi grain item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I know I'm late but I wanted to jump in here anyway! Jiko sounds amazing. Sorry about The Wave... the server is lucky he got the 10% you gave him. And that chicken sausage....it looks horrible! Yuck!
I have a problem with undercooked meat and I don't think the sausages were fully cooked. I wish the server had checked on me at any point during the meal but he didn't. I admit, I tip at least something out of guilt but he didn't really deserve anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtatty View Post
Awww thats such a shame you didnt have a great breakfast. I agree theres always one meal that is such a let down, there shouldnt be the prices we pay. We stay at the Contemporary but have yet to try the Wave, still not sure we want to try it. Mind you ive seen other reviews and the food looks delishious, yours looks as described.
Cant wait to see what you had at Kona
In October my parents and I had dinner at the Wave it was very good. It might have been an off day (or an off breakfast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorsmom911 View Post
Loving your dining report!! You have inspired me to one day take a solo trip on the DxDP, although I'll have to wait a few years until my kids are older and my mom no longer wants to take our mother-daughter getaways.

I totally agree with you about Jiko!! My mom and I dined there last fall for my birthday meal and it was the best meal I have ever had, ANYWHERE!!! We were lucky enough to have the most amazing server as well, so much so that I wrote a glowing letter to guest services about his service! I'm almost afraid to eat there again for fear that my expectations have been set so high.
I had originally booked only the DDP for my solo trip (and had debated on not getting a dining plan at all) but I like going into things knowing that I have X # of meals prepaid. I am also a big fan of room service so the dxdp fits me well. It was my second time on the DxDP so I have had the opportunity to try several of the 2 credit restaurants and really enjoy the more upscale dining.

I know what you mean about the great service - sometimes you think - I can't be that lucky twice. Still - even with less than attentive service, the food was so outstanding that it made for a wonderful meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
I loved that dessert from Jiko...if we ever go back to Jiko we will dine on appies and desserts since they are incredible!

So sorry about your Wave breakfast but those pitiful sausage links would send me running to the nearest CS place!
That dessert was incredible - I wished there was more ice cream because it was the best ice cream I've ever had. The donuts were so fresh and tasty. There was no part of that food at that meal that I would have changed.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #38
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part
 
PrincessTrisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Scarborough ON
Posts: 3,681

Lunch at Kona

So after the lackluster breakfast, I wanted my next meal to be a "tried and true winner" so I choose Kona Cafe (it was between that an the GF Cafe but I had lunch at the GF back in October but didn't make it to Kona so it won out - I also enjoy shopping at the Poly a little more).

From the moment I was seated (without an ADR I might add) things went perfectly. My server was attentive and stopped by to talk with me several times, made good suggestions and positive comments about what I was ordering and kept my diet coke consistently full.

To start with I went with the Shrimp and Coconut Curry soup. I had this a few years back and it by far my favourite soup of all time. It's thick and creamy with a touch of spice and many, many plump cooked shrimp. It may not look like much but when you dip your spoon in, there are treasures deep down. It's red curry which I much prefer to yellow curry.





For my entree I went with my servers suggestion which was the Polynesian Plate Lunch - Chicken with coconut and mango sauces. The chicken was pressed and breaded and crispy and juicy. It was very tasty. The sauces were amazing and it made me actually eat the plain rice (at least that which had / I put the sauce on). I was hesitant about the macaroni salad but it was tasty - a little different - but good. It was really enjoyable.



For dessert I ordered the Banana Chocolate Creme Brulee. It was between this and the cheesecake but I don't get a chance to have creme brulee much at home (cheesecake I can make myself or purchase a pretty decent one). It was perfect. The creme part was cold on top but warm on the bottom and the brulee was perfectly done (not the slightest bit of burnt). The chocolate at the bottom was melted as it was served atop a warm plate. Super good.



Overall it was a perfect lunch - quiet and pleasant - tasty, well prepared food and excellent service. I was in no rush and I was able to eat at my pace. My server checked in with me several times to make sure everything was to my liking and I was happy with what I ordered.

After lunch I grabbed a cab back to the AKL to check in to my club level room. This was my last day on the DxDp (though at this point I still have 2 credits left).

I have two more meals left to review - after this point I ordered room service 2 more times (dinner to use up my last two credits and breakfast on my last morning).

Other than those two meals - during the next two days I mostly ate at either the club lounge or leftovers. After 4 nights on the dxdp, I was ready for a little less food.

Last edited by PrincessTrisha; 03-10-2010 at 07:26 AM.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #39
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.
 
disneyfav4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 14,063

That soup at Kona looks really good, I may have to try it.
__________________
disneyfav4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #40
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater
 
MickeyNicki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Naples Florida
Posts: 21,464

OMG my hubby had the chicken plate from Kona and I swear it was the best thing ever! I could not keep my fork on my own plate...and the dessert you had is exactly what we shared and loved it!

Kona is our fave lunch spot now
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #41
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran
 
Pooh&OurHunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,141

great updates. Sorry to hear your bad experience at The Wave...we never went there and going back and forth with it but we might try to eat for dinner. Thanks for a great review on Kona
__________________
DS (6)DH Me

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #42
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part
 
PrincessTrisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Scarborough ON
Posts: 3,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
That soup at Kona looks really good, I may have to try it.
It is my favourite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
OMG my hubby had the chicken plate from Kona and I swear it was the best thing ever! I could not keep my fork on my own plate...and the dessert you had is exactly what we shared and loved it!

Kona is our fave lunch spot now
I had debated on the mahi mahi or pulled pork tacos but my server recommended the chicken and it was great - the sauces are really something special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
great updates. Sorry to hear your bad experience at The Wave...we never went there and going back and forth with it but we might try to eat for dinner. Thanks for a great review on Kona
Thanks for continuing to read along.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #43
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part
 
PrincessTrisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Scarborough ON
Posts: 3,681

Room Service Dinner

So with my last two credits I decided to order room service for dinner. I was still going to be at Disney for another day and a half but I had switched over to AKL club level. Between my leftovers and the club level offerings I didn't actually buy any food the next day but ordered breakfast on my last day (cause my train was leaving at 1:30pm and I wanted a hearty breakfast to make it through until dinner).

So for my last two credits I ordered:

Shrimp Cocktail appetizer:


I wish I had realized that the lettuce had some kind of dressing on it. I put this in the fridge and enjoyed it for lunch on Thursday (the next day) but the dressing made the shrimp a little limp. There were 6 big plump shrimps. Is it something I would pay $14 cash for? No - but that's one of the reasons I love the dxdp!

For my entree I order the grilled chicken sandwich with goat cheese. I love goat cheese and this was an excellent sandwich! You can see that the goat cheese was a beautiful thick layer. And the homemade chips were awesome! Although it may seem like not such a good deal to order (the sandwich was only $15 or $16 dollars), it was a really great entree. It was a whole, thick, grilled chicken breast and smothered with creamy goat cheese. I couldn't finish it and saved half for the next day.



For dessert I ordered the sampler again but it was slightly different.



Instead of the coconut tart it had a chocolate espresso tart. It was just as good as the first time. Tonight I ate the fruit tart and the espresso tart but save the big zebra dome for Thursday.

And for my drink I order Evian water (I made sure to ask specifically for Evian and that is what they delivered).



The one thing I love about room service and the dining plan is no need to tip extra! Both the service charge and the 18% tip are included in the use of the credits.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #44
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming
 
vinotinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ATL
Posts: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
The one thing I love about room service and the dining plan is no need to tip extra! Both the service charge and the 18% tip are included in the use of the credits.
I didn't know that! So, it's like CRT and the shows? We're booked with DxDP and had not even considered room service until your reviews. Sounds great!
__________________

Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL
Oct 2013 - PBH
Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP)
Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP)
May-June 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP)
Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP)
Oct 2009 - BC (DDP)
May 2004 - RPR
April 1995 - AsMu (college trip)
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #45
ibcindyb
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 36

Just love your reports

so much I am going back to read them all!
ibcindyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: