Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
smkiya
Sorta new. ;) Still gets a tag
THREADJACKER ALERT!

Should I get Water/Sewer Line Protection?

My home is 43 years old and I'm trying to protect myself against a large expense. I currently have a home warranty ($43/month) which covers all appliances, central air, furnace, hot water heater, sump pump, plumbing, and electric. We've only used it twice in the 6 years we've had it. Once for our hot water heater, which they replaced with a brand new one, and the other was for our sump pump which broke and flooded our basement (not covered by homeowners insurance). Our furnace is as old as the house and does not have much longer to live, so we have no intentions of giving this piece of security up.

But, I got an offer in the mail from my water company for water & sewer line protection ($12/month). I was wondering if you thought the water/sewer line protection was worth it?
smkiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
sherry7
DIS Veteran

I don't think any of those types of plans is worth it. As an alternative, put that money into a savings account each money, and it will be there when you need it.

What are the odds of your sewer pipe bursting? And what part of the line are you responsible for and what part is the sewage company responsible for?
sherry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?

We have sewer line protection and restoration and its 6.50/mo. But I know we have problems. When we first moved in our house tree roots got into the sewer line and we had to replace 6ft of it. That was 13 years ago and last year again a root grew back in and we had to have it snaked. The plumber suggested getting the insurance because it will pay to have the drain snaked and "when" we need to replace the line it will cover that too. Plus our line goes right across our cement drive so that will need to be dug up so I got the restoration to go with it so they'll put everything back together for me. My insurance covers up to $7500 worth of repairs. I figure this is a good deal for us as I'm certain at some point we'll need it. If I didn't know of this problem i'd never buy the insurance, i'd just save the money like the previous poster said.
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by runwad View Post
We have sewer line protection and restoration and its 6.50/mo. But I know we have problems. When we first moved in our house tree roots got into the sewer line and we had to replace 6ft of it. That was 13 years ago and last year again a root grew back in and we had to have it snaked. The plumber suggested getting the insurance because it will pay to have the drain snaked and "when" we need to replace the line it will cover that too. Plus our line goes right across our cement drive so that will need to be dug up so I got the restoration to go with it so they'll put everything back together for me. My insurance covers up to $7500 worth of repairs. I figure this is a good deal for us as I'm certain at some point we'll need it. If I didn't know of this problem i'd never buy the insurance, i'd just save the money like the previous poster said.
My ex has this problem with the tree roots as well. Sooner or later he needs to replace the pipes but financially it is not in the books right now so he deals with it. I wish they could have offered some sort of protection to him.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leajess99 View Post
My ex has this problem with the tree roots as well. Sooner or later he needs to replace the pipes but financially it is not in the books right now so he deals with it. I wish they could have offered some sort of protection to him.
Ya and we have those clay tile pipes our house was built in the early 70's and those things just break. We paid $800 in 1996 to just replace 6 ft of pipe. We had a guy w/a camera insert it into our sewer to find out where the break was. But now there must be another one starting since the drain clogged thanksgiving '08. Our basement isn't finished and everything is up off the floor in either rubbermaid's or on top of milk crates. Oh and I have this water alarm if the water goes up over the drain it goes off. It went off this last time so we were able to catch it b/4 we had a mess down there. Its a drag :-(
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
meriface11
Mouseketeer

we have it. it costs about $60 per year for each of them. we have an older home and very old trees close to our sewer and water lines, so we wanted to make sure we are covered in the event something happens. it's a small price to pay because we know this would be a very costly expense.

September 2005, 2006 2008 Wilderness Lodge
September 2009 SSR
January 2010 BC
September 2010 BWV
September 2011 BC
September 2012 BC
September 2013 BC
August 2014 AKV
meriface11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
cocodog
DIS Veteran

Not sure I would be concerned about water line, but depending on what material your sewer line is made of (and if it's original to the house) the policy could possibly save you some money.
During some periods years ago, a pipe material called 'Orangeburg' was frequently used for residential sewer service lines. The material is little more than cardboard, and could be pricey to replace.
As always, it's a gamble, so 'pick your poison' carefully ;o) Good luck with your decision.
cocodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
NJGirl
DIS Veteran

GET IT for the sewer lin! My best friend and her husband have used it 4 times since they bought their house. I kept saying we had to sign up our house....but too late. Our pipe in our lawn cracked thanks to tree route. That 6 bucks a month would've saved me 1500 in repairs.
I know a few other people here in NJ have used their coverage.
NJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: