Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
mrtoffee
Mouseketeer

Is DVC worth the cost for us brits?

Hi all, im trying to work out if DVC is worth buying into. We are a family of 4 and go to disney every 3-4 years for 3 weeks. Can you roll the points forward or do you have to use them up each year?

Many thanks in advance for the help
mrtoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
JohnW
Mouseketeer

You can bank points into the next use year and you can borrow points from the next use year. So, the most points you can use are three years worth if you use them in the middle of three years e.g.

Year 1 - bank all points, use none.
Year 2 - use year 1's banked points plus year 2 points plus points borrowed from year 3
Year 3 - No points available, all used in Year 2
Year 4 - new year's worth of points available
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
mrtoffee
Mouseketeer

Many thanks for that, it could be worth it after all
Old 02-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
wideeyes
Won't use fake tan, wants to stay pale & interesting
Does not do sea food

be aware that DVC have the right to stop banking and borrowing if you buy with the intention of borrowing and banking points. I am not sure how likely this is to happen however it is in the contract.
wideeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
sullyandsid
Mouseketeer

Is it worth it

Given that DVC is a long term investment - I think you kids and their kids will thing it will be worth every penny. So many happy memories to be made.

sullyandsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
mrtoffee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideeyes View Post
be aware that DVC have the right to stop banking and borrowing if you buy with the intention of borrowing and banking points. I am not sure how likely this is to happen however it is in the contract.
Thats cheeky and would most likely mean we wouldn't be able to do DVC. We love disney but also like travelling to lots of other places, so won't be going every year.

The other thing i am having problems getting my head around is the whole home resort idea, does this mean that this is the resort we would always be staying at?
Old 02-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Hilary
There's always something new to learn!

Quote:

The other thing i am having problems getting my head around is the whole home resort idea, does this mean that this is the resort we would always be staying at?

In theory, yes. In practice we sometimes stay at our home resort; often we don't.

Using your points to stay at any of the DVC resorts is another 'perk' that Disney could decide to withdraw. I'm not aware that there has been any indication that they will - in the same way that banking and borrowing could be withdrawn but there's nothing to suggest it's being considered at the moment. I suppose for contracts that run 50 or so years, Disney have to write in all sorts of contingency plans to protect themselves and the way the DVC system may need to work in the future.

At the moment you can use your points to stay in any of the DVC resorts, subject to availability. You have a home resort advantage of being able to make a reservation at your home resort 11 months in advance of your stay; reservations at non-home resorts can be made 7 months in advance. So you gain a 4 month headstart on your home resort availability.

The general advice is always that the sensible/safe thing to do is to buy where you plan to stay most, or where you would be happy to always stay if you were restricted to home resort reservations only. But the sensible/safe thing to do isn't always the most appealing
Old 02-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

Always articulate, succinct and helpful. Ever thought of becoming a mod, Hil?

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
Hilary

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDEB View Post
Always articulate, succinct and helpful. Ever thought of becoming a mod, Hil?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 AM   #10
mrtoffee
Mouseketeer

Many thanks Hilary, i think we will go on the tour when we are in wdw next year and take things from there.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
hunty
Mouseketeer

I bought in 1997 (wow 13 years ago Now) My kids were 8 - 10 years old.
we bought into OKW, and I still believe it was one of the best investments we made, yes the Annual dues in January are still a reminder I have to pay towads Disney, but I still believe its worth it.

We have had some great holidays normally going for 2-3 weeks every 2 years in a 2 bedroom place, we have stayed in different locations but always prefering OKW

Even now its the only holiday my 'kids' still want to come with us.

I never did a cost justification when I bought I saw the quality of disney and the prospect of having different holidays every couple of years even planned one day just me and my DW will go away for 3-4 weeks at a time (still waiting that one)

If I was to go back in time, would I change what I did - yes I would of done it sooner!
hunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

The only thing that surprised me was the price of flights, as previously not noticed when taking a package. we never seem to get cheap flights (I won't fly indirect as hate taking off and would pay not to do it more than once each way!)

Good luck in deciding

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
mikki.young
Knows Dreams do come true!

You can use DVC points to travel elsewhere in the world, currently through RCI. Got to admit we have never used this option but it got tempting a time or two.

I may be wrong but I didn't think the staying at another DVC resort was a perk. I thought they would alays be allowed even if the 7/11 rule changed a bit. The perk was the option of staying at other Diney resorts and that has changed a few times over the years.

Having said all of the above I don't think I would consider buying at the moment in your circumstances, not least because of the dreadful exchange rate.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

If you do take the tour, be sure to have the name, home town and guides name of a DVC owner...if you decided to buy, you'd get a substantial discount for being "referred" by a current owner (and that owner would get a little something too!)

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #15
Hilary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki.young View Post
I may be wrong but I didn't think the staying at another DVC resort was a perk. I thought they would alays be allowed even if the 7/11 rule changed a bit. The perk was the option of staying at other Diney resorts and that has changed a few times over the years.
Ah, that may be right - sorry if I've been misleading on that point.

Quote:
Having said all of the above I don't think I would consider buying at the moment in your circumstances, not least because of the dreadful exchange rate.
Had to smile at this one because we bought in July 2001 when the rate was around 1.4 or even 1.3 (LOW, anyway!). With hindsight, a poor financial call, but I still feel we've had great value from our points

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: