Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Ava
DIS Veteran

OT: Which park with 15-month old - Hershey or Sesame Place?

We aren't doing WDW this year (want to wait until DD is a little older) but MIL wants to take us on a long weekend trip. She mentioned Hershey, but then I was also thinking Sesame Place might be good. DD will be about 15 months old when we go. Which park has more things she can do?

I used to go to Hershey a lot as a kid & loved it, but last time we went a couple years ago it was SUPER crowded & we didn't get to do much. I've never been to Sesame & have heard both good things & horror stories.

Any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Sept 2014 Trip Report - In Progress

1983 (age 3): Buena Vista Palace 1988: Fort Wilderness Cabin 1991: Offsite 1997: All-Star Music 2002: All-Star Music 2004: All-Star Movies
April 2006: All-Star Music May 2011: POP Century Sept 2014: Caribbean Beach Aug 2015: Art of Animation, Lion King Suite

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Dotsie
Mouseketeer

I live about 25 minutes from Sesame Place. Every year we get season passes because it is just so much fun for the little ones. They have Ernie's sprinkler land for water fun for the little ones, they also have kiddie type pools as well. They have a character parade every day as well as a stage show. Sesame Place also has tons of rides that are good for smaller children. IMO, Hershey is great, but it's geared for the older child.
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

I have not been to Hershey (but my sister has) and she loves it with her girls.

We went to Sesame Place when DS was 3 and I will never go back. It was insanely hot and crowded (it was August, so some of that is to be expected). There were a lot of things that DS was unable to do -- either because of restrictions, or just because he wasn't big enough/strong enough to do them (hard for him to climb a net while a lot of bigger kids are scrambling up it, too.) I mistakenly thought that more would be geared toward toddlers/preschoolers... but I think a lot is geared toward elementary age kids.

In addition, many of the queues were out in the sun and many of the attractions my son was able to do were playground-type attractions. They were limiting the number of people in the attraction at a time so it wouldn't get too crowded (that's good!). But it was a "when someone comes out, the next person can go in" system... and no one was coming out. Sometimes the line didn't move *at all* for 10-15 minutes. Then one family would go in, and the rest of us would wait till the next person left. We waited well over an hour for many things. That's a lot for a little one, especially when you're just standing in the sun.

I've got a whole list of other complaints that mainly stem from it being an older park without planning for the amount of guests it receives (lack of stroller parking, very few water fountains, etc)... but it was not an enjoyable experience. My son who loves Disney, the zoo, the science museum, the playground, etc... asked if we could leave by about 1pm. We went back to the hotel pool and swam.

If I lived close and could get a season pass to do a few things, then leave when it gets crowded and come back a different day, I might feel differently. (That's what we do at our zoo, which is about 5 minutes from our house.) Or if I could go after kids were back in school... maybe. But I will not plan a summer weekend trip there again.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Neither...try Dutch Wonderland! Much better for a child that age and it even has a small waterplay area...plus free parking. Plus the Strasburg Railraod is right near by and would be fun too.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Either Sesame Place or Dutch Wonderland..Hershey park has some kiddie rides but not much for the little ones.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
Either Sesame Place or Dutch Wonderland..Hershey park has some kiddie rides but not much for the little ones.
ITA! I love Hershey Park, but there's not going to be much at all that a 15 month old will be able to ride.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post
We went to Sesame Place when DS was 3 and I will never go back. It was insanely hot and crowded (it was August, so some of that is to be expected). There were a lot of things that DS was unable to do -- either because of restrictions, or just because he wasn't big enough/strong enough to do them (hard for him to climb a net while a lot of bigger kids are scrambling up it, too.) I mistakenly thought that more would be geared toward toddlers/preschoolers... but I think a lot is geared toward elementary age kids.
That was kind of my feeling about Sesame Place when I looked at the attractions on the website - not a lot of actual rides, more "play spaces" that seemed too difficult for a toddler to do (especially with a lot of bigger kids on them at the same time).

I was leaning towards Hershey, mostly because I know that park, but wanted to get some opinions. I know Hershey has a lot of your traditional kiddie rides that I think a 15-month-old could ride. We're planning to take her on a trial run down at Coney Island once it opens for the season to see if she likes the kiddie rides.

Loveysbydesign, is there enough to do at Dutch Wonderland (or in the area) to make a long weekend of it? I've never been there but always got the impression it was really small.

1983 (age 3): Buena Vista Palace 1988: Fort Wilderness Cabin 1991: Offsite 1997: All-Star Music 2002: All-Star Music 2004: All-Star Movies
April 2006: All-Star Music May 2011: POP Century Sept 2014: Caribbean Beach Aug 2015: Art of Animation, Lion King Suite

Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava View Post
That was kind of my feeling about Sesame Place when I looked at the attractions on the website - not a lot of actual rides, more "play spaces" that seemed too difficult for a toddler to do (especially with a lot of bigger kids on them at the same time).

I was leaning towards Hershey, mostly because I know that park, but wanted to get some opinions. I know Hershey has a lot of your traditional kiddie rides that I think a 15-month-old could ride. We're planning to take her on a trial run down at Coney Island once it opens for the season to see if she likes the kiddie rides.

Loveysbydesign, is there enough to do at Dutch Wonderland (or in the area) to make a long weekend of it? I've never been there but always got the impression it was really small.
It is on the smaller side which is why it is perfect for kiddos under 5! That way there are not overwhelmed..plus the water area is great and there is lots of shade! My older kids would spend one whole day in that water area if I let them when they were younger! There is also outlets on the same road and Strasburg 10 -15 minutes away.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
dmoore718
If you think being a firefighter is tough, try being a firefighter's wife

I would see if Hershey charges for babies. Sesame charges beginning at age 1 and it's expensive!!
Old 02-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
pooh136
Mouseketeer

I just wanted to second (or third) the suggestion for Dutch Wonderland. We took our girls the first time when my oldest was 16 months and her sister was 6 weeks. I wore my youngest in the Baby Bjorn and wore her on pretty much every ride that her sister rode. We bought season passes the next year (and every year since) and it's now like a second home for our girls in the summertime.

Like a PP mentioned it is near outlet shopping-Rockvale Square and Tanger Outlets-and the Strasburg Railroad. You could also go for a horse and buggy ride, shop in Kitchen Kettle Village (lots of homemade crafts and yummy food) - http://www.kitchenkettle.com/ , visit the Amish Farm attraction - http://www.amishfarmandhouse.com/

It is also now owned by Hershey Park, so you can get a combo ticket for both parks. If you're concerned about there being enough to do in Lancaster, Hershey is just a little over half an hour away, so you could do both. Here's a link to the ticket info for DW/HP http://www.dutchwonderland.com/tickets/index.php

Oh, about Sesame Place-I have not been since I was in elementary school, but we are planning on trying it with our girls this summer. They will be 3 and 4 when we go, and we waited until now because I was worried that there wouldn't be as much for them to do when they were younger. So I can't give you firsthand experience for there yet, but that was what we decided based on what we heard from others. Have a great time, wherever you decide to go.

Last edited by pooh136; 02-24-2010 at 04:08 PM.
pooh136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
pooh136
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore718 View Post
I would see if Hershey charges for babies. Sesame charges beginning at age 1 and it's expensive!!
Wow, I didn't know that Sesame Place charged admission at age 1. Children under 3 are free at both Hershey and Dutch Wonderland.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
PaulaSue
I have a purple car too and love it
Even I need a nap now and then

Too young for HP, IMO. Go to SS

4 Parks, 3 Generations, 2 Birthdays, 1 Anniversary, Priceless...1/06

4 Parks, 3 Generations, 2nd Trip, 1 Week with Family and Friends...10/08

F&W, Music to our ears...10/11

Tire Pros "Family" is going to Disney...1/15
PaulaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh136 View Post
Wow, I didn't know that Sesame Place charged admission at age 1. Children under 3 are free at both Hershey and Dutch Wonderland.
The PP was mistaken, I just checked SP's website and it says 23 months and younger are free.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash View Post
ITA! I love Hershey Park, but there's not going to be much at all that a 15 month old will be able to ride.
I checked the website, and I found 35: http://www.hersheypark.com/rides/res...=17&Submit.y=6

I think a HP/DW would be a nice combo. Never been to Sesame Place, but I've been told it's great during the week, and a nightmare on the weekend.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

Sesame Place has sooo much stuff for little ones. We love it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: