Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #106
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
True on DCL, but most other cruise lines will confiscate it if they spot it in your luggage. They xray everything going on the ship, so the odds are pretty good that they will find it.

One of the things we always bring is a small roll of masking tape. We use it to keep DW's contact lens cleaner from tipping over if the seas are rough. We also have used it to keep closet doors closed if the velcro strips aren't working as well as they should.
This is brilliant, I hadn't heard of it before, but it makes utter sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisannB View Post
I am just using a small travel size shampoo bottle type to put some dish detergent into to bring along from my big bottle in my kitchen, much cheaper

Krisann
Adding to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
Part of the problem is the material ths ship is made out of. Its mostly steel and steel is notorious for poor reception with line of sight type radios.The only way to get around it would be if Disney installed repeaters through out the ship to "boost" the signal.
The fact that a lot of other families have the same idea, doesnt help either.

I havent had that problem yet, though I have seen posted recently, that if you bring a power strip, call guest services, and theyll have a ships engineer come look at it and give it an ok.Im assuming that the ones that are surge protectors, and have built in resetable fuses, should be ok.Its the ones that would normally draw too much power that they would have an issue with.We brought a 3 position travel power strip with us last cruise, left it plugged in the whole time and never had any one say anything.

Something I havent seen mentioned is small zip ties, and multiple pieces of paper with my name adress,room and telephone number on it.The zip ties I use to zip tie the zippers on our luggage closed in case its accidentally opened, and also keeps the honest people honest.Ill also mark the luggage tags, 1 of however many so the porters can help find them easier.

The paper with our names on it, I place INSIDE my lugggage,in 2 or 3 places so that if the tags on the outside come off, someone can still ID my bags.

A small backpack for excursions, for souveniers,water bottles etc.

Someway to back up any photos you take.Ive heard people bring multiple cards, or thumb drives, but I prefer an external hard drive. Ill download and charge my cameras nightly, in 2 different places, jic.Ill delete one set when I get home.

We traveled with a couple and their son 2 years ago that went to create space on an almost full memory card, and erased everything accidentally. From the pics of their house with mold in it for the insurance company to the pics from the cruise and WDW the week before hand.
Do you have a hard drive you can just pop your memory card in?
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Hedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #107
HashHoney
Mouseketeer

These are all great tips! We're going on our first cruise in February, so they are much appreciated.

Subscribing.

Me DH DS - 16 at sailing DD - 13 DS - 10

Growing up - too many to count
9/1995 - WDW Honeymoon
6/2005 - WDW - Kids' first time
2/2011 - Our first cruise on the Dream
HashHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #108
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
This is brilliant, I hadn't heard of it before, but it makes utter sense.

Adding to list

Do you have a hard drive you can just pop your memory card in?
I have a 1 terra byte external hard drive that plugs into my laptop. Ill download all of my cameras to both my laptop and the hard drive, then delete 1 set when I get home. Ive seen smaller ones, that serve a similar function also. Ive also seen what you are describing where I put a card into a reader, and plug it into a computer.Any of the above will work, as well as burning a cd. The one thing I have found, when using a thumb drive, is that they can get lost very easily.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #109
erbrhenderson
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all of the great tips!! This newbie is soaking it all up!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #110
heatherwillmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
I have a 1 terra byte external hard drive that plugs into my laptop. Ill download all of my cameras to both my laptop and the hard drive, then delete 1 set when I get home. Ive seen smaller ones, that serve a similar function also. Ive also seen what you are describing where I put a card into a reader, and plug it into a computer.Any of the above will work, as well as burning a cd. The one thing I have found, when using a thumb drive, is that they can get lost very easily.
Is this easier than burning a CD which is what I usually do? I don't have an external hard drive but I do have a lot of thumb drives.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #111
Bekkilin
Earning My Ears

What we bring

When we travel (2 adults, 2 small kids - 7 and 4) I pack a 1/2 week's worth of clothes and wash it mid-trip for round 2 to save space. This also greatly reduces my need for matching shoes, bags, etc for "dozens of outfits." We get by with a lot less.

I also pack acrylic wine glasses (we got some great Mickey ones at the Poly last year while on our Land & Sea.) I prefer a stemmed wine glass over the stateroom "juice glasses" when having some wine. And beacuse they were acrylic, I didn't worry about them breaking. I also pack dish detergent (in a small travel container) for washing said wine glasses and sippy cups.

Last time we had an umbrella stroller for the first leg of our trip for the parks and it never left our closet while on board. The ship just wasn't THAT big.

I forgot to pack a "beach bag" and had to buy one at the Poly before the bus picked us up. All we had were two suitcases and a backpack and I thought rolling out a suitcase might be ridiculous on the beach at Castaway Cay!

When we go back, I will also bring a bag lock for the beach so we can secure our bag to the beach chair. I would feel better about turning my back on our things when the family hits the water.

Bekkilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #112
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherwillmom View Post
Is this easier than burning a CD which is what I usually do? I don't have an external hard drive but I do have a lot of thumb drives.
For me it is. What I do is at the end of the night, before I go to bed, Ill plug in my hd, and my camerainto my laptop. Both will have a window pop up. Ill simply select all of the pics from the camera, then drag them to the hd, and a folder on my desktop, unplug the hd and delete the camera memory,and Im done. Takes maybe 3 minutes. At most.What takes me the most time is my digital camcorder, since it can hold up to 250 gb of video.(s)
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #113
Cindi0511
I have a hard time biting my tongue sometimes
It was to die for the entire trip
Oh, man, you guys are killing me!

Big black binder clips

Big black binder clips can serve dual purposes: holding curtains closed and holding adjoining room doors open. You open the door and slide the clip into the opening where the hinge at the top is. We bought something called Wedge-Its the last time, and they were perfect. Here's a link: http://www.wedgeit.com/index.htm

WDW more times than we can count
September 2003 Magic
DVC members since 2005
September 2006 11-day Wonder
Cindi0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #114
jsolar
Mouseketeer

The only thing I needed was Ziploc bags.
I used them for wet things, or to put cookies or other snacks to bring during
excursions.
As far as over the door shoe hanger, extension cords, shampoo, etc.
everything provided was great.
I am a family of 4. The first cruise my son was in diapers. Even bringing a weeks worth of diapers we still had plenty of room.
The H20 hair products they provide were perfect!!
Have a great time!

Disney Cruise: Fantasy,6/27/15, Fantasy, 6/29/13, Fantasy, 6/23/12, Fantasy, 7/5/11, Dream, 8/17/10, Wonder, 8/22/09, Magic
Disney World: Disney's Beach Club, 06/27/14, Pop Century Resort, 6/24/05, All Star Sports Resort, 01/05/96, Polynesian Resort, 09/08/87
jsolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:23 AM   #115
lds0191
DIS Veteran

Lanyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatoface View Post
Highly recommend that you bring a few of those suction hooks to hang your lanyards with the KTTW cards on. We were constantly searching for my kid's cards until we started using the hooks.
We hang our lanyards around one of the lights above the desk as soon as we enter the cabin (the way they are made it is not a fire hazard). After spending a good part of our 1st cruise on a lanyard hunt, found this solution worked great.
lds0191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #116
Goofy&Sleepy
Mouseketeer

Is there a consolidated list anywhere? This will be our first cruise (w/kids) & I don't want to miss anything! This is great! Thanks to all!
Goofy&Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #117
mindy327
DIS Veteran

Location: Chandler Arizona and exactly 381 miles away from Disneyland

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharen24 View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember to pack shorts and flip flops for DH!!!! Last November I insisted on doing ALL the packing because DH waits until the last minute. I forgot to pack any shorts or flip flops for him so he had to wear his "Wilderness Lodge" shorts all week. Thank goodness for hotel gift shops!

My other necessities are: night light, hanging shelves, power strip, digital alarm clock, beach bag/back pack for excursions, and my KINDLE!!!
Oh my. This is why DH will NOT let me pack for him. He is very Pet Peve about this. I can pack the kids myself and the dog, but not him. He will wait until the last minute, I mean night before, to pack and it drives me crazy!!! Ughh. I wish he would just trust me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpd-0zNqu8
Surprise DCL Video 2011 Mexican Riviera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT0ZgMsEiFg
DCL 2003, 2006, 2008, 2011 WDW 2003, 2008, 2012
AP holders DL +100 x's NEXT: Disneyland whenever, and Fantasy Western 9/27/14
mindy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #118
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy&Sleepy View Post
Is there a consolidated list anywhere? This will be our first cruise (w/kids) & I don't want to miss anything! This is great! Thanks to all!

I found this awhile back....

http://homepage.mac.com/momme30/Exce...Sharing19.html
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #119
yashasvi
Earning My Ears

Re:Laptop

This is our first cruise and I am planning to bring my laptop with me. My question is how safe is it to bring the laptop, and how secure is it in the stateroom if we leave it (can we leave it) there?

Thanks!!!

Y's Dad
yashasvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #120
Robin"D"
DIS Veteran

Our Ten

Our List: (Some are duplicate from others)
1) A small fan, for white noise, and to help circulate the cool air (with extension cord)
2) Power strip
3) Over the door shoe hanger/great out of the way storage
4) “POP~OPEN hamper/ either for dirty laundry or great storage, folds flat
5) Purex 3-1 Laundry sheets
6) Soft sided cooler
7) Travel alarm clock w/light
8) Around $20 in $1 bills for room service tips
9) Plastic disposable hangers/ the kind that department stores use, you can hang more clothes in the closet /storage. If the break oh well, I ask for 10-15 from Wal-Mart, and they gave them to me, when you leave the ship, just leave them for the next cruisers
10) Portable DVD player/with cords to hook into the TV for that down time with movies/cartoons (Disney of course) for all

Hope this helps

Robin & Angel "D"

PS...I bring my lap top on every cruise to down load my pics daily, it is very safe. you could buy a lock for about $20
Polynesian: 1992
Dixie Landings: 1993
Shades of Green (opening weekend): 1994
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2004/ retired from U.S.Army
PO/ French Quarter: 2009 (became DVC owners BLT)Bay Lake Towers: 2010
Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village: DW 1st MVMCP DEC 2011/1st stay@ SSR/ taking Mom to her 1st MVMCP NOV 2012
DisneyLand: 1st Visit "EVER" / GC/ April 2012/ VWL SEPT '13/Jan '14 GFV: Animal Kingdom 1BR/FEB'14 [before the Dream Cruise]
NOV '14 SSR/ DW 1st visit [heading to Podcast 5.0] After PODCAST 5:Coronado Springs DEC '14
DCL:
EC/Magic: 2002 WC/Magic: 2009 EC/Magic: 2010
LA ~ Vancouver repo: April 2011Vancouver ~ Alaska (Maiden Alaska Cruise) May 2011 added pts. to SSSR
/
Hawaii Maiden Cruise APR 2012 / 4~day Bahama's "Wonder" Cruise May 2013/
WBPC May 6th 2013 Wonder/ EC & WC 1st & 2nd Cruise on "NEW SHIPS" Fantasy SEPT 7th & 14th
1st time as a Platinum member Cruise/ WC FEB 1st ~ 8th/ 2014 Fantasy FEB 9~13 1st time on the Dream/Completing the "Grand Slam Of DCL Ships!"
EBPC SEP 12-26 '14 bring the Wonder home WC / Magic on Pod Cast 5.0 NOV 30th ~Dec7th '14/ EBTA May 15th 2015, “our 25th" Wedding anniversary b2b Cruise/ Magic 1st N. Europe Cruise, May 30th 2015/ Magic
Robin"D" is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: