Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #76
aurorafan65
Mouseketeer

lots of great ideas! love the clothes line through the swimsuit one!

we bring an extention cord
hi-lighter - dh goes through the compas in pain-staking detail!
i-pod speakers - we use the alarm clock feature on the ipod
downey wrinkle stuff
shout wipes
the purex laundry things
& our newest addition captain morgan - never realized we could bring it on board

I haven't seen the palmolive wipes either & where do you guys find travel size febreeze, I couldn't find it last time we traveled.
aurorafan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #77
aurorafan65
Mouseketeer

someone mentioned walkie -talkies we tried them once & had a horrible time with them, we could never find a clear channel since so many families had them too
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #78
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorafan65 View Post
someone mentioned walkie -talkies we tried them once & had a horrible time with them, we could never find a clear channel since so many families had them too
Part of the problem is the material ths ship is made out of. Its mostly steel and steel is notorious for poor reception with line of sight type radios.The only way to get around it would be if Disney installed repeaters through out the ship to "boost" the signal.
The fact that a lot of other families have the same idea, doesnt help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doingitagain View Post
They discourage electrical on the ship. The clocks are battery operated, there are few outlets. We have even had form letters left in our room if we left things plugged in when we left the stateroom.
I havent had that problem yet, though I have seen posted recently, that if you bring a power strip, call guest services, and theyll have a ships engineer come look at it and give it an ok.Im assuming that the ones that are surge protectors, and have built in resetable fuses, should be ok.Its the ones that would normally draw too much power that they would have an issue with.We brought a 3 position travel power strip with us last cruise, left it plugged in the whole time and never had any one say anything.

Something I havent seen mentioned is small zip ties, and multiple pieces of paper with my name adress,room and telephone number on it.The zip ties I use to zip tie the zippers on our luggage closed in case its accidentally opened, and also keeps the honest people honest.Ill also mark the luggage tags, 1 of however many so the porters can help find them easier.

The paper with our names on it, I place INSIDE my lugggage,in 2 or 3 places so that if the tags on the outside come off, someone can still ID my bags.

A small backpack for excursions, for souveniers,water bottles etc.

Someway to back up any photos you take.Ive heard people bring multiple cards, or thumb drives, but I prefer an external hard drive. Ill download and charge my cameras nightly, in 2 different places, jic.Ill delete one set when I get home.

We traveled with a couple and their son 2 years ago that went to create space on an almost full memory card, and erased everything accidentally. From the pics of their house with mold in it for the insurance company to the pics from the cruise and WDW the week before hand.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #79
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:

I haven't seen the palmolive wipes either & where do you guys find travel size febreeze, I couldn't find it last time we traveled.
Weve found the travel/trial size febreeze in Walmart with the rest of the travel sized items.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 AM   #80
dylan'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
In the minority here.
Nothing.
Stateroom had everything we needed.
Hair dryer was fine. Plugged the videocamera battery charger in the outlet behind the TV and the digital camera charger in the plug on the hair dryer.
Put dirty clothing in suitcases that we had stored under the bed.
All our shoes fit on the floor of the closet, put our toiletries on the shelves in the bathroom. All our clothing fit in the drawers or closet.

I'm with you! When we first cruised in 2001, I pretty much took our whole household with us...

Now I find I don't really need all of those things... a little sunscreen & wine & we're set! Helps that DS is now 18, but I don't need the over the door shoe holder anymore either. Traveling lighter & it feels great. Well...except for the shoes!! Haven't gotten over that one... LOL

bev

19 on DCL, so far: MAGICal voyages: Jun'01(7), Oct'01(7), Jun'03(7), Nov'04(7), Jun'06(7), Jun'07(11), Jun'09(7), Apr'10(14), Jun'10(12), May'11 B2B(25), Sep'11(14); WONDERful cruises: Oct'10(3), Dec'11(7), Apr'12(15 Hawaii); 1 DREAMy cruise Mar'11; +1 FANTAStical voyage Jul'12(7)..& back to the MAGIC Sept 22th Galveston inaugural +B2B Sept. 29th, next year DS's Graduation Cruise- either the Greece Med or EBTA...tbd
dylan'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #81
Davids-Coco
Sometimes my inner monologue isn't so inner

Quote:
I recently was pointed to minimus.biz. You might want to try there if you can't find it locally.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #82
golfcane
Earning My Ears

I agree with the list so far. I would add cheap beach toys if you have younger kids. And a beach/pool bag for bringing books/magazines, sunscreen with you. We also bring a zip lock bag with medicines we may need and may not be able to get.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #83
aurorafan65
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
Weve found the travel/trial size febreeze in Walmart with the rest of the travel sized items.
thx - probably the only place I didn't look
Old 03-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #84
atm55
Mouseketeer

I didn't think I would need the over the door shoe organizer since it was only me and my granddaugher travelling. I was very wrong. There is hardly any room to store items in the bathroom - or at least not in mine. Handicapped room. Other cruise lines have shelves to store your toothpaste, moisturizers, etc. Not on Disney. The alarm clock was a very good suggestion.
atm55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #85
aurorafan65
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids-Coco View Post
I recently was pointed to minimus.biz. You might want to try there if you can't find it locally.
thx - I look it up
Old 03-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #86
preedymtnwest
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
Something I havent seen mentioned is small zip ties, and multiple pieces of paper with my name adress,room and telephone number on it.The zip ties I use to zip tie the zippers on our luggage closed in case its accidentally opened, and also keeps the honest people honest.Ill also mark the luggage tags, 1 of however many so the porters can help find them easier.
Something I read on the DISboards before my first cruise in FEB09 was to bring a sheet of return address labels - easier than writing your info on the luggage tags they bring you! Good idea to put "1 of XX" though, too!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #87
mommyofthreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids-Coco View Post
Oh my! Thanks for that site!!! Just found everything I needed for my cruise!!! Plus free shipping for orders over $20.
September 2008-ASsp- Anniversary trip-just DH & I
April 25-30, 2009- BWV with a friend
March 21-25, 2010- first cruise! and a stay at POR and CS. On the Wonder.
January 3-8, 2011- 2nd cruise! On the Magic.
(41) (38) (20) (15) (13)
mommyofthreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #88
kikids
Mouseketeer

Thanks to whomever suggested suction cup hangers for sticking onto the verandah glass so swimsuits could dry. They were the smartest thing I brought.
Disney Fantasy 2014, Disney Magic 2013 (Mediterranean) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3124303, Disney Magic 2012, Disney Dream 2011, Disney Wonder 2010, POP 2012, CBR 2010, POR 2009, Off property 2002-2008, SeaWorld 2010, 2011.

kikids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #89
Davids-Coco
Sometimes my inner monologue isn't so inner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofthreeboys View Post
Oh my! Thanks for that site!!! Just found everything I needed for my cruise!!! Plus free shipping for orders over $20.
Us moms of boys need to stick together

In all seriousness, I found a ton of stuff cheaper than at target when comparing.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #90
Chicogirl
Mouseketeer

bump
Chicogirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: