Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #181
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2mickeykids View Post
Anyone know where you can buy a small box of Purex all in one sheets? I found them at Target but only in a really large box. I don't need to bring them all with me but don't plan on using them at home so less than 20 or so would be great. Thanks!
Just grabbed some today, two to a pack at Wal-Mart where the travel sized toiletries are. They're like $1 for the pack. FWIW, I also bought a box last summer and take it whenever we rent a condo or cabin. They actually work pretty good and I'm a Tide/Downy girl! They also have limited number of packs of the Shout wipes as well, stocked up on those, along with travel bottles of Febreze Gain fragrance and Downy wrinkle release.
offsite'71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,C R'03,WL'04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05 ,YC'06,PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14),Swan (11/14)

rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #182
my2mickeykids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
Just grabbed some today, two to a pack at Wal-Mart where the travel sized toiletries are. They're like $1 for the pack. FWIW, I also bought a box last summer and take it whenever we rent a condo or cabin. They actually work pretty good and I'm a Tide/Downy girl! They also have limited number of packs of the Shout wipes as well, stocked up on those, along with travel bottles of Febreze Gain fragrance and Downy wrinkle release.
Thank you!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #183
Chicogirl
Mouseketeer

Bump
Chicogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #184
Loriekins
Mouseketeer

Helpful thread

this thread was very helpful to my husband & I when we were packing for our first cruise (1/29 Eastern).
Here's what suggestions we took that were very helpful for us:
Stock piling ones & fives for tips. I would not had enough on us, if not for this tip & we used them a lot for room service, tours, porters, etc.
Mini extension plug (4 outlets). Helpful to have things plugged in at one place.
Highlighter for Navigators. Even though we didn't do half the things on the Navigators it helped to point out the things we wanted to do.
Dry Erase board on stateroom door. Great to put notes for other family members & get notes from crew members. (Cars on $1 at Target)
Night light (from dollar store). Even though we had a Verandah room, made it easier to find the bathroom at night & keep little one not scared.
Reusable bottles with lids & straws. Came in handy for the refreshment station (just needed to fill with one of their paper cups) to take back to the room. Requested ice in our room.
Disney Gift Cards. Great idea to have Disney gift cards on our account to pay for things we wanted, excursions, tips, son, etc...

Things we took that wasn't helpful to us:
Over the door shoe holder. Too bulky & was plenty of room in the bathrooms & drawers near bathroom/closet. Will not take again & wish I could return.
Pirate items. Got a pic of my hubby & son in pirate stuff, but didn't really get into it or use it for pirate party. Not sure we'll bring it next cruise.

I know there are more items for both, but that's all I can think of now.

Our "Magic" cruises:
Our First cruise - Eastern Caribbean Cruise 1/29/11
Second Cruise - Western Caribbean Cruise 1/21/12
Loriekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #185
rachelm23
Mouseketeer

Bump!
Thanks all for the great ideas..
would love to see more ideas for parents with kids under 5.
Would you bring a stroller for 3 yr old?
rachelm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #186
mattmommy
Mouseketeer
My DS loves rice. I call him my "international child".

I would bring a smaller collapsible stroller that reclines for the little one (better to have and not use it).

With all the great ideas try to think of what can make a one way trip and make your trip lighter.

For some it might be bringing a few highlighters that are on their way out, but still work.

I would bring snacks for the shows/movies. I live on the wonderful fresh fruit that's cut for us all day, but at the shows/movies they have snacks but they can run you a small fortune for a family. We packed bags of twizzlers, snack size chips, M&M's etc.

On our last trip we had one way socks/u/w/pj's and older sneakers that we needed for a rocky walking tour.
mattmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #187
Michelle064
Mouseketeer

Great ideas here. I'm just starting to pack for our very first cruise on the Magic on spring break.

One thing I thought of that hasn't been mentioned is pre-printed mailing labels for postcards.
WDW Offsite - Feb 2000, Dec 1993, Nov 1991
Michelle064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #188
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriekins View Post
Highlighter for Navigators. Even though we didn't do half the things on the Navigators it helped to point out the things we wanted to do.

Things we took that wasn't helpful to us:
Over the door shoe holder. Too bulky & was plenty of room in the bathrooms & drawers near bathroom/closet. Will not take again & wish I could return.

We took three different colored highlighters for DW and myself (one for each of us and one for joint activities) but found that one highlighter was quite adequate. Good idea though as it helped us quickly find what we wanted to do next during the day, and I may still take a different colored highlighter for everyone going on our next cruise in case we actually do need them.

We didn't take a shoe holder and never missed it. We had more than enough storage space for the two of us (in a 3 person room), including in the bathrooms. Plus, we tried to keep what we took to a minimum.

We did take a power strip which was useful, though we could have probably got by without it.

We used post-it notes instead of a dry erase board and they worked great.

We also took a nightlight (I always have one along when I travel anywhere) but stopped using it halfway through the cruise as the new Wave phones put out quite a bit of light.

We also brought a few per-packaged snacks (M&Ms, etc) which I used at the films (along with a soft-drink from the drink station), though for the shows I usually took in a glass of wine from a couple bottles we brought with us.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014; Disney Magic, Mediterranean, May-Jun 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #189
BlondeJungleBookFan
Looking for the Bare Necessities

Pre-Printed address labels for sending postcards and postcard stamps

Extension cord

Ziplock bags - small to XXL
I pack socks, underwear, t-shirts in different ziplock bags. Once I'm in the room, I dump them in a drawer. Leaving the bag in the same drawer. as things get dirty, I put the dirty ones in the bag they came in. All I have to do at the end, is grab the bag and throw it in the suitcase.

I also use one to put my receipts in. So they are all in one place when checking out your account on the last day.

I use another one for little things I want to keep from the trip for the memory book.

Even though you can bring food on a plate from the buffet, sometimes I have a couple of ziplocks in my purse....great for a couple of cookies, etc....especially if you're not headed straight back to your room.

I always take a ziplock with a wet washcloth in it, when we go ashore.

Sometimes I put some small candy bars, gum, mints, in a ziplock with the tip I am giving the room service attendant. I make sure the dollar bills are showing so they know they are getting a tip.

Purex 3 n 1 laundry sheets

Travel size Room freshner. Or I sometimes take a regular size spray deodarant, and spray that in the bathroom if needed

Small ziplock with nail clippers, travel size polish remover, polish, nail file, few cotton balls, and a small pair of scissors. I put these inside a shoe to save space.

Travel mug and water bottle.
Use their cups to pour into your bottles.
It's nice to have that full bottle/mug of diet coke, in your room to pour into your glass with ice...and not have to run up to the soda fountain when you're thirsty.
5th Cruise:
Gaither Gospel Cruise Westerdam Feb 2012
4th Cruise: May 5, 2011 Disney Dream Bahamas Trip Report ~ http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2718995
3rd Cruise: Sept 9 2010 Disney Wonder Bahamas ** 2nd Cruise: Dec 6 2009 Golden Princess to Hawaii ** First Cruise: Sept 2007 Caribbean Princess
BlondeJungleBookFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #190
Loriekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelm23 View Post
Bump!
Thanks all for the great ideas..
would love to see more ideas for parents with kids under 5.
We don't have a child under 5 but the only advise I have for bringing a stroller is bring a small, light one. And only if you child will actually still use it (my son at that age would only be in one when we forced him). We saw a lot of people trying to maneuver the jogging strollers and larger strollers in very tight quarters. Kept seeing a lady with a jogging stroller running into tables (with people at the tables) and other people. We saw a people on ports with them also with toddlers/pre-schoolers.

Our "Magic" cruises:
Our First cruise - Eastern Caribbean Cruise 1/29/11
Second Cruise - Western Caribbean Cruise 1/21/12
Loriekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #191
jtw999
Mouseketeer

Great ideas!
I first read about the power bar suggestion here and now we bring one to every hotel we visit. My husband travels a bit for business and finds it especially useful!!
For myself, I love the ziplocks and shoe organizer. I always worry about the little things going missing and the shoe organizer contains them so tidily!!
Flashlights and binoculars were appreciated by the kids
jtw999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #192
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
We took three different colored highlighters for DW and myself (one for each of us and one for joint activities) but found that one highlighter was quite adequate. Good idea though as it helped us quickly find what we wanted to do next during the day, and I may still take a different colored highlighter for everyone going on our next cruise in case we actually do need them.
We bring a blue highlighter for DH and a yellow for me. Anything we want to do together becomes green.
Minniemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #193
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelm23 View Post
Our DD has been cruising since just before her 3rd b-day and we never found we needed a stroller. She loved exploring the ship while walking as she liked to touch everything. Also, in a stroller, you would have to use the elevators every time you wanted to go up or down a deck and the elevators are not always the fastest. We found it much easier to just pop down the stairs when only going a flight or two (small flights).

We had never used a shoe organizer until we read about it here and now we won't cruise without it. DH is one to just drop things where ever he might be and then spend 30 mins trying to find it when he needed it. The desk was always cluttered with stuff that was just "dropped". The shoe organizer reduced the clutter and resulted in less time looking for things. Also, DD got into it and used the lower areas for her things liek crayons and toys which made me VERY happy.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #194
sues14
Crazy for Disney!

We packed way too much the first cruise we went on won't make that mistake again! The thing we miss and didn't think to remind our grown son was a belt and tie, he remembered shoes, pants and shirt though.
sues14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #195
Dec6
Addicted to DCL...

A plug in nightlight...keep it in the bathroom. The room is pitch black at night and u will need some settle lighting to get to the bathroom without banging your toe or tripping on something and waking up everyone else...
Dec6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: