Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
mom4scrapbooking
Mouseketeer

Question about tickets and annual passes

We are heading to DL for the 2nd time this year! We are thinking about buying a deluxe annual pass in the near future! We are currently going to buy 4 or 5 day tickets for 5 of us! So here are my questions?

Can I buy 4 or 5 day park hoppers and before I leave trade the value into deluxe passes? Should I do the give a day quickly and get the value of them too? How much would that be with just park hoppers option? How much would it be with GAD tickets? When do annual passes run? Are they from day you bought them to one year later?

Sorry for so many questions! I just feel it is silly to keep buying tickets every time we go!

I know I can call Disney and ask I just thought wait my dis friends will give me lots of great input!
mom4scrapbooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
SeattleTink
Why do I always feel like I am 5 years old when I am at Disneyland?
You all understand this strange addiction

We just got back and here is what we did....

We volunteered and received our vouchers.

Then, I bought 3 day hoppers so we could have a Magic Morning.

On the day of our Magic Morning (which was day 2) we went to the ticket booth to turn in our vouchers and told them we wanted to upgrade our 3 day hoppers to Deluxe Annual Passes. They used the value of the hoppers ($149) and applied it to the DAP ($299 - $149 = $150 and the applied the $72 credit....$150 - $72 = $78) to upgrade to DAP.

Since we have had Annual Passes before (they expired in June 09) they were able to use our old pictures and they just printed out our passes at the ticket booth. If you haven't had an AP before, you have to take the ticket they give you at the ticket booth to the processing center to have a picture taken.

If you have time, volunteer....it helped defer the cost quite a bit.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Kayla's Mom
You are not alone!! I have several Disney shirts
Dessert for hubby it is!!!

^^^^

This is exactly what we are going to do later this year, although I was thinking that we would apply the voucher towards the hopper, then upgrade to the AP. I wonder if you can do it both ways? I guess it wouldn't matter either way?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
SeattleTink
Why do I always feel like I am 5 years old when I am at Disneyland?
You all understand this strange addiction

The only reason I bought the hoppers first, was because I didn't want to have to stand in line at the ticket booth the first morning. I bought our hoppers at the grocery store at home and you can take those right to the turnstile.

But you are right, it works either way.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Mom2Joce
It all started with a...

Can I buy 4 or 5 day park hoppers and before I leave trade the value into deluxe passes?
YES

Should I do the give a day quickly and get the value of them too?
How much would that be with just park hoppers option? How much would it be with GAD tickets?
You will have to do the math according to the hopper passes you purchase (front gate, online, AAA). But the value of the ticket AND the value of the GAD vouchers (72.00) can be applied to DAP.

When do annual passes run? Are they from day you bought them to one year later?
YES

Sorry for so many questions! I just feel it is silly to keep buying tickets every time we go!
I agree, even though we are No Cal residents, we travel down south several times a year to the parks.

What I found for our travel dates (May 1-8) was to buy NO tickets prior to the trip....but to go straight to the ticket booths, purchase the DAP and apply the GAD voucher to it.
299.00 - 72.00 = 227.00

The way I look at it: We were going to buy 5 day hopper passes any way and even if we only used the DAP for ONE trip we're getting to both parks for 45.40 a day

I'm maximizing the dollar value but I am forgoing the MM. We visit Disneyland primarily during off seasons and spend so many days at the parks each visit that we get everything done that we want to with little to no wait.

SO, it will really depend on when you go, the price of the hoppers and if you want MM or not.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

When do annual passes run? Are they from day you bought them to one year later?

APs run from the day of first use until one year later. So if you upgrade a PH to an AP, it'll be back dated to the first day you used that PH. So if you have a 5 day PH and upgrade on day 5 it will be back dated until day 1.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
samkj
I LOVE changing them for the holidays
I love living in CA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleTink View Post

On the day of our Magic Morning (which was day 2) we went to the ticket booth to turn in our vouchers and told them we wanted to upgrade our 3 day hoppers to Deluxe Annual Passes. They used the value of the hoppers ($149) and applied it to the DAP ($299 - $149 = $150 and the applied the $72 credit....$150 - $72 = $78) to upgrade to DAP.

Since we have had Annual Passes before (they expired in June 09) they were able to use our old pictures and they just printed out our passes at the ticket booth. If you haven't had an AP before, you have to take the ticket they give you at the ticket booth to the processing center to have a picture taken.

This is what we had planned on doing, but were told by 3 people it was not possible to combine the vouchers with park hoppers (and it is also listed in the FAQ for the GAD program) to upgrade. I am VERY angry/upset that we were not able to do this and other were. I'm glad it worked for you, but disappointed it didn't for us since it would've saved us $350!!
Old 02-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
gethane
Mouseketeer

I have no idea if this is right, but in another thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2390319 this was talked about and this is what I've decided to do and hope it works.

Quote:
Ohhhhhh. So when you upgrade your PH to an AP, you get the full value you for what you paid, whether that be a discount ticket you paid 161 (or whatever) for, or the price at the gate.

Let me walk through this for my own benefit:
Discount 4 day hoppers
161 x 4 = 644
AP Deluxe x 4 = 1196
I get credited for 644
So pay an extra 550 to upgrade to AP (after blockout day and using my MM)
My total out of pocket price, however, is the 1196

Using GAD vouchers
Gate price 4 day hoppers
2 x 199 = 398
+
2 x 229 = 458

= 856
BUT, minus 1 child voucher (other child is too young to volunteer) and 2 adult GAD vouchers
62 + (72x2)= 206

So I pay 650 at the gate for the price hopper, but I then get credited for 856 when I upgrade to AP because of the vouchers (?), 1196-856, paying an extra 340 to upgrade.
My total out of pocket price, is 650 + 340 = 990

The savings then, if buying gate hopper, then Deluxe AP upgrade is 206, which is also the face value of the three vouchers.
gethane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkj View Post
This is what we had planned on doing, but were told by 3 people it was not possible to combine the vouchers with park hoppers (and it is also listed in the FAQ for the GAD program) to upgrade. I am VERY angry/upset that we were not able to do this and other were. I'm glad it worked for you, but disappointed it didn't for us since it would've saved us $350!!
I keep hearing different things on this as well It's really confusing me about what I'm going to do in July if I do decide to upgrade to an AP.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
samkj
I LOVE changing them for the holidays
I love living in CA!!

If you want to get an AP, but also want MM and to use your voucher the best bet is to do what was mentioned above. Use the voucher to upgrade to a 3 or more day park hopper, then once the MM is used upgrade the park hopper to an annual pass. We had already purchased our park hoppers, when Disney added the stipulation that the vouchers can not be used for upgrade when combined with a multiday ticket to the FAQ.

I am still a bit sick to my stomach over it. We ended up with 5 of the AP pin/hat figurines and may end up selling them to try to make up some of the money. Not really what I want to do, but we didn't have many options.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
MrsPinup
3 cups. cups, cups, cups, cups, cups

I am a little confused. We have GAD vouchers and I want to buy 2 DAP's. My original plan was to use the payment option for the DAP and then arrive at DL. Would they refund the difference of the voucher for the pass at the park? Would it be a better deal to purchase park hoppers first and the trade them in for credit with the vouchers? We are going for 3 days in April for our first DL trip of the year.

MrsPinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
MrsPinup

Ok, well I called and talked to the ticket people. In order to use the GAD vouchers towards the DAP, you must do it in person.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
MsTiauna27
Ms. Pin Trader

Make sure you add free parking to one of those annual passes, you will be more inclined to use it knowing you dont have to pay for parking.
MsTiauna27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleTink View Post

Good to hear ~ when DD & I visit in July I want to upgraded to an AP ~ I'll purchase 3 day hoppers, we'll do the GADGAD (Project Linus I think), after our MM *but maybe the 3rd day ~ depends on blockouts *this will be the 4th of July weekend.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
MrsPinup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTiauna27 View Post
Make sure you add free parking to one of those annual passes, you will be more inclined to use it knowing you dont have to pay for parking.
How do you do this and what is the extra cost?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: