Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
g_i_titus
Earning My Ears

New here and have an annual pass question

Hi all, I'm glad I found your site. I'm told you all know the answers to just about anything. I have a question about annual passes.

I have heard you can upgrade tickets to an annual pass, is this true? I have also heard you need to know alot of information about your activity with the tickets in order to upgrade.

I am planing on taking my daughter in a month. We will be driving and plan on stopping on our way to her mothers for 3 days and then her mother will be taking her back for 2 days on her way back to me. There will be a week gap. Her mother will be using my ticket and would like to upgrade both her and our daugher. I have already purchased the 5 day park hopper tickets. My question is if they ask a lot of questions, what does her mother need to know in order to upgrade their tickets?
g_i_titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
CrazyDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_i_titus View Post
Hi all, I'm glad I found your site. I'm told you all know the answers to just about anything. I have a question about annual passes.

I have heard you can upgrade tickets to an annual pass, is this true? I have also heard you need to know alot of information about your activity with the tickets in order to upgrade.

I am planing on taking my daughter in a month. We will be driving and plan on stopping on our way to her mothers for 3 days and then her mother will be taking her back for 2 days on her way back to me. There will be a week gap. Her mother will be using my ticket and would like to upgrade both her and our daugher. I have already purchased the 5 day park hopper tickets. My question is if they ask a lot of questions, what does her mother need to know in order to upgrade their tickets?
Ohh... kind of a gray area you are treading into. Technically what you are trying to do is against the rules (the sharing 1 hopper part). So don't be surprised if you don't get a lot of help from people on these boards. Just a FYI...
CrazyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
g_i_titus
Earning My Ears

Didn't realize it was against the rules, kinda stuck now though
g_i_titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

CrazyDuck is right. OP, I know you weren't aware so it's not your fault, but, yes, that is a hot button issue around here - more than one person sharing a Hopper. I know that, in theory, it doesn't seem like there is anything wrong with it - especially if one person won't be able to use the remaining days on a Hopper and those days will go to waste otherwise - but many people see it as cheating Disney out of money.

In any case, to answer your main question, I will just tell you what the general process is to upgrade. There won't be a lot of questions about upgrading the Hopper to an AP, per se. All you do is go to one of the ticket booths and say, "I want to upgrade this Hopper to an AP," and then you tell them whatever level of AP you want to upgrade to (there are four levels, so make sure you know which one you want in advance). Then you show your ID, give your address, phone #, e-mail, etc., pay whatever the difference is to upgrade, and then the CM hands you a slip of paper with printed info, and instructs you where to go in the park to get your photo taken and get the actual 'card' that is your AP. There may be a long line to get the picture taken, but it can't be avoided, It must be done. Then, it becomes active right away, and you can start using it for discounts on food - or if it is the Premium AP, for merchandise - right away.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Sorry - I had to sign off really quickly before I was done with my post, but I had to finish my thought!

If I am not mistaken, somewhere in the fine print on DLR tickets it says "non-transferable." I could be wrong on that, but I think so. So Disney frowns upon more than one person using a Hopper. In any case, it would be better if your daughter's mom got herself a separate ticket and upgraded that instead of taking yours.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 02-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Kayla's Mom
You are not alone!! I have several Disney shirts
Dessert for hubby it is!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post

In any case, to answer your main question, I will just tell you what the general process is to upgrade. There won't be a lot of questions about upgrading the Hopper to an AP, per se.
Actually Sherry, when we upgraded our hoppers to an AP, we got absolutely grilled by the CM. Wanting to know when MM was used, etc. I know they do that because they are trying to prevent the passes from being shared or partially used tickets being bought off Ebay, etc.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla's Mom View Post
Actually Sherry, when we upgraded our hoppers to an AP, we got absolutely grilled by the CM. Wanting to know when MM was used, etc. I know they do that because they are trying to prevent the passes from being shared or partially used tickets being bought off Ebay, etc.
That may not be the case with every person who does it, though. You know how the CMs are - some are very 'by the book' and some are much 'looser' with things. So what one CM does may not be what they all do. I think we would hear a lot more about it happening if everyone were getting the third degree. I know that my friends upgraded their Hoppers to APs in the last couple of years, and they didn't get a bunch of questions - certainly nothing about MM or any of that. It may be that the CMs are cracking down more often now, to prevent Hopper-sharing, or it could just be that there are certain CMs who are more inquisitive than others.

I do know that if you are doing what I did - applying multiple unused tickets as money towards one Hopper or one AP - they do have to check with the DL Bank and check with supervisors to okay that, because many of the CMs don't know that DLR views unused tickets as money.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
clairabell29
Mouseketeer

I've heard they ask all kinds of crazy questions. I don't even think I'd be able to answer all of them with my own ticket, let alone someone elses. Although I'm going to try this trip. I just am hoping exhastion and momsimers doesn't get the best of me!

Have your DD mom buy her own ticket and upgrade that, would hate for your daughter to lose out because her mother answered the questions wrong! Or upgrade yourself and your DD so you can go back with her in the next year.
clairabell29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
clairabell29
Mouseketeer

Sheree how did you have multiple unused tickets? Just curious!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairabell29 View Post
I've heard they ask all kinds of crazy questions. I don't even think I'd be able to answer all of them with my own ticket, let alone someone elses. Although I'm going to try this trip. I just am hoping exhastion and momsimers doesn't get the best of me!

Have your DD mom buy her own ticket and upgrade that, would hate for your daughter to lose out because her mother answered the questions wrong! Or upgrade yourself and your DD so you can go back with her in the next year.
Hey, Clairabell29! It's been a while since you have been on this side of the DIS, hasn't it? Up until last week, I hadn't seen you around in ages!

Anyway, I think it is great if DLR IS starting to somehow crack down in some way on the Hopper-sharers, and if they can manage to do that by asking questions, even better. My friends upgraded their Hoppers to APs within the last year or two, so they seem to have escaped the grilling by the DLR CMs, as their questions were really basic. Somehow I have a feeling that those people who are insistent on bypassing the system will find a way to do it one way or the other, questions or no questions.

But I had to chuckle when I read your statement, "I've heard they ask all kinds of crazy questions." Instantly an image popped into my mind of the CMs throwing out all kinds of wacky stuff like, "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" or "Which came first? The chicken or the egg?" That would be hilarious!!!!

Last edited by Sherry E; 02-22-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
LuLusApple
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't share hoppers at all. When we went 2/11 this month I purchased an eticket/4 day hopper for my 80year old mother. The next use day they quized her when was the ticket purchased and if she had used her MM which she never did the entire trip, because we have APs. That was my 80 year old mom who had no idea what a MM even is or when I had purchased the ticket, heck I didn't even remember the date of purchase.
This whole exchange was casual but,
I would be to nervous to use anyones hopper I would completely flub up

MeDD13DD19DD22 DS23DS24DGD2
LuLusApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairabell29 View Post
Sheree how did you have multiple unused tickets? Just curious!
I had a client who did a lot of charity work for sick kids, and she was always buying bunches of 1-day/1-park tickets to give to the kids (she didn't believe in getting Hoppers because she had only been to DL herself and didn't see the need for DCA!!). So whenever I would do a particularly intensive project for her, or if she was particularly pesty that month, she would give me several of the tickets as a thank you. They had no expiration date, so I hung on to them until my friends and I went. Some of them I gave to friends to upgrade to Hoppers and the rest of them I applied as money towards an AP. I used 3 unused one-day/one-park tickets towards one Premium AP, and got the PAP for less than half price!! Then, I just used 6 one-day/one-park tickets and applied them as money towards 3 one-day Hoppers, AND the CM gave me a $123 Disney gift card for the difference left over!!

I was told several times by CMs on the phone that the DL Bank "views the UNUSED tickets as money," and so that's how I was able to apply multiple tickets towards one AP or towards one-day Hoppers. So it was not an "upgrade" so much as it was a "swap."

Old 02-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
clairabell29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hey, Clairabell29! It's been a while since you have been on this side of the DIS, hasn't it? Up until last week, I hadn't seen you around in ages!

Anyway, I think it is great if DLR IS starting to somehow crack down in some way on the Hopper-sharers, and if they can manage to do that by asking questions, even better. My friends upgraded their Hoppers to APs within the last year or two, so they seem to have escaped the grilling by the DLR CMs, as their questions were really basic. Somehow I have a feeling that those people who are insistent on bypassing the system will find a way to do it one way or the other, questions or no questions.

But I had to chuckle when I read your statement, "I've heard they ask all kinds of crazy questions." Instantly an image popped into my mind of the CMs throwing out all kinds of wacky stuff like, "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" or "Which came first? The chicken or the egg?" That would be hilarious!!!!
Hi! Ya it's been awhile, I was off planning and doing WDW. I decided I like DL MUCH better. We also had been dealing with some medical issues with my youngest.
Now I'm in the process of doing a spur of the moment, suprise trip for my oldest, and getting APs for DS and I, and of course had to come back to DIS! I've missed being on here, but didn't think I would be traveling again until Oct. and I was doing some schooling and helping deliver babies, you know, just life
Old 02-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
clairabell29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I had a client who did a lot of charity work for sick kids, and she was always buying bunches of 1-day/1-park tickets to give to the kids (she didn't believe in getting Hoppers because she had only been to DL herself and didn't see the need for DCA!!). So whenever I would do a particularly intensive project for her, or if she was particularly pesty that month, she would give me several of the tickets as a thank you. They had no expiration date, so I hung on to them until my friends and I went. Some of them I gave to friends to upgrade to Hoppers and the rest of them I applied as money towards an AP. I used 3 unused one-day/one-park tickets towards one Premium AP, and got the PAP for less than half price!! Then, I just used 6 one-day/one-park tickets and applied them as money towards 3 one-day Hoppers, AND the CM gave me a $123 Disney gift card for the difference left over!!

I was told several times by CMs on the phone that the DL Bank "views the UNUSED tickets as money," and so that's how I was able to apply multiple tickets towards one AP or towards one-day Hoppers. So it was not an "upgrade" so much as it was a "swap."
That is very cool that they do that, both your client and disney! What a great deal you have going on there!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #15
FlameGirl
I kind of wonder if it is because of a certain expectation
I'd say go for it!

Quote:

Anyway, I think it is great if DLR IS starting to somehow crack down in some way on the Hopper-sharers, and if they can manage to do that by asking questions, even better.
See, I disagree. I get pretty insulted by businesses that essentially accuse their clientele of trying to steal (I'm looking at you, Costco).

I wish Disney would either do away with the policy of upgrading the tickets altogether, or otherwise just assume that 95% of people out there are going to be honest and not try to get away with something. It seems out of character that one would have to endure the Spanish Inquisition at Disneyland.
FlameGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: