Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #16
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

Thanks Tom! I'm also going on the ABD trip and these pictures are a big help for me to visualize what DL will look like. I would rather not have the big green fence around the ROA and just be able to see it empty. For me the most picturesque part of DL is the ROA, but it is what it is. Great job!

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
aspen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
PryncessChrysty
This sounds like a fun game
Loves doing puzzles

Another great update, Tom! You are the DIS's Official DLR Weekend Roving Reporter!

DL Local / / WDW Vet / / Instagram: PracticallyPeachy & DisneyFoodies

Last edited by PryncessChrysty; 02-22-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Forgot the 'DLR' ;)
PryncessChrysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by PryncessChrysty View Post
DIS's Unofficial DLR Weekend Roving Reporter!
Wonder I can fit that on a tshirt.
ImTooExcitedToSleep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
spaddy
I swear he would make us ride that over and over

Great photos!!! I can't wait until our DL trip the beginning of May. I hope to see the WOC.
spaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
SFBayDon
D23 Charter Member and LOVING every minute of it

Tom,
These look great. Keep them coming it helps cover the time between visits down there.
Don
2009 - Jan09 Wilderness Lodge, May09 Podcast Cruise 1.0, Dec09 All Music/Pop, also Disneyland Back Stage Magic tour, Walt Disney Family Museum, Disney Studios & Archive, D23 Expo, Walt's apartment in DL, Cinderella suite in WDW, DISapoolosia, D23 Magic & Merriment, and Club 33 - 2009 wow what a year

2010 - Club 33, DCA Food & Wine, World of Color, Disneyland 55th B-Day, D23 Destination D Disneyland 55, D23 Scavenger Hunt, Gay Days Anaheim, finished the year with PCC 2.0 and three weeks in FL including the Swan and the Waldorf Astoria. What a great year.

2011 - Seeing the Disney Wonder come under the Golden Gate Bridge, D23 Destination D Disneworld 40, Looking forward to D23 Expo Premier Admission

2012 - Took the year off

2013 - Looking forward to many new adventures
SFBayDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #21
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaddy View Post
Great photos!!! I can't wait until our DL trip the beginning of May. I hope to see the WOC.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #22
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for these, Tom! Please keep them coming! We're hoping to go to DLR this summer at some point. Do you know when WOC is set to open?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #23
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Thanks for these, Tom! Please keep them coming! We're hoping to go to DLR this summer at some point. Do you know when WOC is set to open?
Initially it was gonna be April, but I think it's been pushed into May with all the rain delays they've had recently.

This summer should be safe.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #24
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post
New doors on parking lot trams

I don't like these doors, it looks like it will make it a lot more difficult for those that have had slight trouble in getting on and off the trams before, i.e. those with limited mobility, that may not need a wheelchair. I am afraid that this will result in more people using the wheelchair ramp that don't need to, which will make a longer line for the wheel chairs (unless they have added even more wheel chair shuttles).

In addition, who opens and shuts the doors? Since it appears that the doors are not automatic, I assume that either the guests or a CM has to, but they keep so few CMs on hand at the tram loading and unloading areas these days that it is impractical to expect them to open and shut them all before guests just go and do it themselves (or at least try to).

I can see these causing a backup for the trams, especially at night when there are already huge lines for the trams filled with tired people. I can also see guests who don't want anyone sitting next to them closing the doors behind them when they get on the trams, again causing more delays to either reopen the door or by the trams not being filled to capacity. I have seen 30+ minute waits on a regular basis here lately (not that I would wait in that, i would sooner go and sit on a bench till it dies down, which it will do eventually, I have learned not to leave right after fireworks, parades, shows, etc. But I am guessing that this may increase it to a 60+ minute wait and the waits won't be able to die down as quickly as they used to.

Oh well, I am going a week from tomorrow and I guess I can see how these work or don't work for myself, as I doubt any lot besides Mickey & Friends will be open on a Tuesday night, I try to avoid the parking structure whenever I can these days, it is a long walk to the far back corner that they always seem to want to park me in and then lately 1/2 of the lights are turned off or burned out causing a safety issue, add to that the tram issues that may arise from this and I can see that the structure is not where you want to be parked if at all avoidable.

Ok, that's my rant and I truly hope that I am proven wrong somehow, but I doubt it.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #25
eeyoresnr
DIS Veteran

can't wait til 2012....yes it says 2012....that's when we are planning our trip to California and can't wait to see the new stuff at both parks
1963-1999 Disneyland... Too many to list /Feb 2003 WDW All Star Sports- (Honeymoon- 1st WDW trip) / Jan 2004 WDW CSR (1st Anniversary)/ Aug 2004 Disneyland (Home-Sweet-Home) / Aug 2005 WDW CSR & POR / Dec 2005 CBR (MVMCP)/March 2006 WDW CSR (Braves / Dodgers) / April 2006 POR (Daughters 21st Birthday)Dec 2007 WDW ASMusic & Villas @WL (My Birthday & Our 5th Anniversary & 2 MVMCP)
Feb 2008 Pop Century / April 2008 ASMovies / Dec 2008 ASMusic, CR & OKW & AKL-(CL) MVMCP/Steam Train & Keys to the Kingdom Tours...
May 2009 CSR / Dec 2009 CSR & AKV Kidani SV / Bay Lake Towers / Boardwalk Villas (Backstage Magic Tour) / April 2010 AKV Kidani SV & FW Cabins / May 2010 CBR / Sept 2010 OKW / Dec 2010 CSR (My 50th Birthday)
April 2011 A.S. Sports/Bonnet Creek / May 2011 Bonnet Creek / Dec 2013 Bonnet Creek / March-April 2014 Bonnet Creek
Working on my ROAR! Jaxon's First trip to meet Mickey Mouse... Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988090
eeyoresnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #26
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I don't like these doors, it looks like it will make it a lot more difficult for those that have had slight trouble in getting on and off the trams before, i.e. those with limited mobility, that may not need a wheelchair. I am afraid that this will result in more people using the wheelchair ramp that don't need to, which will make a longer line for the wheel chairs (unless they have added even more wheel chair shuttles).

In addition, who opens and shuts the doors? Since it appears that the doors are not automatic, I assume that either the guests or a CM has to, but they keep so few CMs on hand at the tram loading and unloading areas these days that it is impractical to expect them to open and shut them all before guests just go and do it themselves (or at least try to).

I can see these causing a backup for the trams, especially at night when there are already huge lines for the trams filled with tired people. I can also see guests who don't want anyone sitting next to them closing the doors behind them when they get on the trams, again causing more delays to either reopen the door or by the trams not being filled to capacity. I have seen 30+ minute waits on a regular basis here lately (not that I would wait in that, i would sooner go and sit on a bench till it dies down, which it will do eventually, I have learned not to leave right after fireworks, parades, shows, etc. But I am guessing that this may increase it to a 60+ minute wait and the waits won't be able to die down as quickly as they used to.

Oh well, I am going a week from tomorrow and I guess I can see how these work or don't work for myself, as I doubt any lot besides Mickey & Friends will be open on a Tuesday night, I try to avoid the parking structure whenever I can these days, it is a long walk to the far back corner that they always seem to want to park me in and then lately 1/2 of the lights are turned off or burned out causing a safety issue, add to that the tram issues that may arise from this and I can see that the structure is not where you want to be parked if at all avoidable.

Ok, that's my rant and I truly hope that I am proven wrong somehow, but I doubt it.
Some very valid concerns.

We walked by them and I knew they were new, so I took a quick picture, but I haven't seen them in action yet. I just talked to DL Correspondent Nancy Johnson...they rode the tram from the Mickey & Friends structure yesterday and it was still the old trams.

These trams were parked where the drop off for the Lion King parking (soon to be Carsland). Speculation is that they may have the doors on them so that they can be used on public streets for the remote parking lots they've been using.

It doesn't show in these pics, but the areas that are wider for scooters or wheelchairs have double doors.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #27
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtooexcitedtosleep View Post
initially it was gonna be april, but i think it's been pushed into may with all the rain delays they've had recently.

This summer should be safe.
wahooooo!

Follow Me on Twitter

2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #28
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Quote:
wahooooo!
You still don't have dates though, do you?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #29
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post
You still don't have dates though, do you?
Yes! Yes! Yes, I do! I talked to Pete over the weekend and sent him an email yesterday with a few options. I'm waiting to see what's available and am OH SO DANG EXCITED!!!!

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 02-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #30
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Yes! Yes! Yes, I do! I talked to Pete over the weekend and sent him an email yesterday with a few options. I'm waiting to see what's available and am OH SO DANG EXCITED!!!!
Are you too excited to sleep??? Huh?? Huh?????

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: