Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
turnerx6
Earning My Ears

Unhappy Other mommies who have lost an infant???

Wondering if anyone else out there has dealt with the loss of a child??

In Oct. of 2007 we lost our precious baby girl when she was 5 months old. She was born with a rare genetic disorder...She spent four of her 5 months in the hospital before we had to bring her home on hospice care. She passed away in my arms...the day before my birthday. Its been terribly hard on me since she died...I have "good" days and bad days - more bad days than i would care to have...but im doing okay.

We are planning our very FIRST family trip to Disney world this Oct. We will be going the week of her angel day anniversary and also on my birthday. We want to try and remember her while we are on the trip - by doing special things in memory of her...Any suggestions? It's hard to beleive that she would be turning 3 years old this May..Oh how I miss her. We have talked about doing a balloon release for her on her angel day. My hubby wanted to release 157 balloons - this is how many days we were blessed to have her with us - but FL laws say that the balloons have to be biodegradible. This is okay though - we have found a place here in TX that sells biodegradible balloons - but what would we do about the strings? Cant possible hold that many balloons with NO strings attached...so this might be a bust?!? Thought about making up a little shirt for our other 3 daughters to wear but haven't come up with anything yet...

Anyway. I hope to talk with some other families who have 'been in our shoes' - though its not the best way to 'meet' someone... :0(

Hope you are all doing well.

God bless,
Kelly from Tx
turnerx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
nickey
Earning My Ears

so sorry to hear about your loss. I cant say Ive been in your situation. Sorry that you still are grieving as bad as you are. Im glad to see that you have other children because you sound like wonderfil parents and these children our helping you with yur pain. I hope that you are in therapy or support groups to help you move forward. I know you will never get over this but I hope you get to a good place . Take care and enjoy Disney.
nickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
goofy4mykids
Mouseketeer

I love the balloon Idea and Disney may be able to help you. I would call the reservation number they will direct you. Also as you walk into MK you will see pavers with personel messages on them...I know they were for sale at one point not sure if they still are? You may also may look into taking a private firework cruise the night of, you can all have some quite time on the water. I cant even begin to imagin what your heart must feel, God Bless
Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
TinkerbelleAbbysMom
A Princess's Mommy

So, So sorry

I have not personally lost a child but I work with families of at risk babies and was the postpartum loss coordinator at the hospital where I worked. I have also had a couple of good friends go through this. One found her son on christmas morning.. yikes. First please feel the hugs and love I am sending your way. Even though it has been three years, the pain and healing continue and I am sorry for that. I would recommend if you haven't already done so, check into Compassionate Friends. I think the idea of the balloon release is totally cool. But if florida doesn't allow it, could you do something like the cruise a PP mentioned. Maybe even lighting candles or having floating candles on the lake. Just talk with a CM to see what options you might have. Also what about a butterfly release. I know I have seen that advertised in wedding books. That would be really neat! Personally butterflies mean a lot to my family. My GM loved them so every spring when I see the first yellow (her fav color) butterfly, I always say, Hi Nanny. Just a thought.
Please know I am here. If you need to PM someone for a shoulder to cry on! God bless you and your family as you are trying to heal! And if it helps, know that God truly understands what you are experiencing because He lost his son too. I know that may not be much comfort, especially if you having feelings of anger in that area, but I pray some day it will provide you with a sense of comfort if it doesn't now.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
DisneyTravelers2008
Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)

My heart goes out to you. I hope you will find a way to remember your daughter on your trip. Another person mentioned butterflies. Maybe that would be easier than balloons...butterfiles are so beautiful...maybe this would work for you. Maybe each member of your family could release a butterfly in her honor. Disney World is a place of much joy and I hope you and your family can find a way to escape your pain while you are there and build some new memories.

Spring Break 1988/ Spring Break 1993/Ft Wilderness Cabins 2008 /SSR, 1st DVC Member Trip/2009
OKW, Spring Break 2009/SSR June 2009/AKL January 2010/AKL & BLT Halloween 2010 /Spring Break 2011 - Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort/June 2011 - & BLT & BW /AKL, Spring Break 2012 / Disney Dream Jan. 2014
DisneyTravelers2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

hugs to you! we've now been through a molar pregnancy and a vanishing twin pregnancy. it hurts everyday. we went to disney last year as our healing trip and our wedding anny trip as well.

while i didnt even think to do anything at disney for either baby, i did at the thought of one of our grief concellours buy an ornament for our xmas tree. it was the first one to go on. im not into angels, but had a hard time finding one. on the last shelf at the xmas store at dtd i found some angel ornaments on clearance. they had what i thought was the wrong birthstone. i was trying to find one with our edd stone. then it hit me, i m/c'd in april and it was an april stone. so it made its trip home with us. even funnier, i bought one for the family for our tree and at xmas that went missing. i still havent found it!

they have all sorts there that you can get personalized, however when we were there in october, the wait to get back was i think 5 days. so if you want to get one just for her with her name, go early in your trip.

im so sorry for your loss, our sons twin happened in 06, and i only just found out from a friend that it would of been vanishing twin. no one ever told me even tho we were pretty sure he was at one point. it does get better. grief counselling helped us a lot. so did face book believe it or not. i found many groups on there that have people going through what i went through and understand it. we had mommies here organize a walk to remember and they also started up a grief group. very helpful to go and just be with other moms who know what youve gone through. cry, laugh, smile....its nice to vent to others who understand it.

i would do as a previous posted said call disney and see if they can think of anything you can do. can't hurt.

1985- off site1986- off site2003- off site2004- off site2005- allstar movies!2009- allstar movies!-tenth wedding anny trip! 2010 split stay! asmovies andwl! 2011-bay lake(feb) 2011 ssr(may) 2011 bay lake(dec)
amberg@eastlink.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I am sorry to hear about your lose.

I use to work for a balloon company and we would do balloon releases with out string. What we did was blow up the balloons and stuff them in to x-large clear bags and tie the bag shut when it was full. Then we transported them to where the release was to take place. We explained to the customer all they had to do was untie the bag and the helium balloons would sail away.

Another thing to inquire about..I am not sure how fond Disney would be of allowing a large number of balloons to be released because of the safety of the animals at the AKL and AKV.
Both the lodge and the park have very stricked policy's about the use plastic straws and plastic lids to cups. They do not even offer these plastic items at the restaruants at both locations because the pose a danger to the the animals. So check with Disney first.
That way if Disney says no then you will have plenty of time to come up with another plan.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014

Last edited by Shelly F - Ohio; 03-04-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
ndloewen
Mouseketeer

Hugs to you.

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my 3 year old son just 7 months ago to a rare genetic condition. My heart is still crushed and so very broken...life has been forever altered. We did a balloon release for the funeral, and again for what would have been my son's 4th birthday. It was beautiful and I loved it. I hope to do one each year. But we had no laws regarding biodegradable balloons.

I did hear of someone who buys a balloon each time they go to Disney and gives it to a stranger in memory of their loved one. I was thinking we might do that when we make it back to Disney. Wish I had more ideas...hoping someone out there will have some good ones as I'd love to hear them too.

Noah's Journey

Noah's Wish Trip Feb 24 - March 10
ndloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
nmmom95
I'm a pregnant lesbian in an interracial relationship
Or am I?

I'm so sorry for your loss. I also lost an infant to a rare genetic disorder 8 years ago. This is not a Disney idea, but for my son's first birthday, a family member had a star named for him. It was the most thoughtful gift I've ever received. I hope you find something that is meaningful for your family.

Last edited by nmmom95; 03-15-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: typo
nmmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
reggiemcp
Mouseketeer

Loss of infant

My baby had not yet been born, but the loss is still awful. I just found out in February that I was pregnant (4 1/2 months) at 45 years of age. To say it was a shock was doesn't cover it. Years of infertility then my son came at 40 so I never saw this coming. We were quite happy and looking so forward to this beautiful gift. I went for my sonogram when I about 21 weeks and they found multiple edemas and severe birth defects, we were crushed. Doctors explained I changes of going full term were next to nill, and if so baby would die shortly afterward. They told me to expect that the baby would not make it past 25 weeks and that I should terminate immediately to avoid medically endangering my life.

This was the worst day of our lives, I have such mixed emotions. I never felt that this would be a choice I would have to make. I know that I had to do this, but it seems so contradictory to what a mother does.

I know that some day I will make peace with this as much as I can. We are looking into support groups and trying to think of a way to honor our angel baby. We are planning on going to Disney in November and would love to get a brick for the baby.

I am sorry that this became about me, I hope you can understand and that you find joy and happiness again in your life.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
Puccaw
DIS Veteran

I am so terribly sorry to hear of all of your losses, I think unless you have been in that dark place that surrounds a person with the loss of a child it is hard to truly relate.
I just passed the 14'th anniversay of my son's death, it still rocks me to the core, but I do my best to get through each day and some days are by far better than others. Time does not heal all wounds but it does allow you to learn how to cope.
I agree with some of the PP's, call Disney and see what they can do for you.
A friend of ours also "bought" us a star, and we release balloons every year on Ben's birthday.
I wish you a time of happiness and healing while you have a magical vacation with your family, those who are present and those who are with you in spirit.
2008 10 Nights at POP
2009 2 weeks at POP April 22-May6
2010 10 days @CBR
Puccaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

While I did not lose my own baby, I lost three little cousins (all girls, born to the same parents. Sarah lived for 9 months, and died from complications of Down Syndrome, Chloe and Isabell died after 2 weeks - conjoined at the head)... And I recently found out I cannot have my own children.

I am not sure if disney will let you release baloons on property, but they are usually good at commemorating any events, even sad ones... I would try contacting them and seeing what they say.

My heart goes out to you.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
AmberHeartsDisney
DIS Veteran

I think that is a WONDERFUL IDEA!! That would be so special! I read some where someone did this and put wild flower seeds in them so once they landed the seeds went out.

Here are some other places that sell them "here"

and here is ribbon

I think adding flower seeds would be a wonderful addition to the balloons!
March/April 2007- Offsite~11/29/09-12/07/09-Polynesian (For free! I won a trip)~11/29-12/07/10-Polynesian~5/12-5/17/11 Polynesian~9/16-9/19/11 All Star Music~11/13-11/17/11 Animal Kingdom Lodge Club level - Honeymoon ~11/17-11/20/12 Disney Dream Cruise~11/2-11/9 2013 BLT/AKC (We finally bought a DVC!!!09/2013)~5/5-5/11 GFV~12/6-12/13 GFV

Our Disney Travel Blog
AmberHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #14
disneygirlinphoenix
Mouseketeer

I too have given my baby boy back to the heavens. My Jacob, passes away in 1994, a day shy away from 5 months to SIDS. To this day, daily I think of him and the man he would be, at 16 now. He was my first baby. I have read of other posts where members have dealt with loss, and my heart aches for all of us. I ponder, is it easier to lose a younger baby, because you haven't built up the memories, or an older, because you have the memories? Regardless, parents should not have to bury their childern, especially a 22 yr. old young mother!

I hope that you were able to honor your baby in the way that was special for you. I'm sending loves and hugs your way

from one mother to another...

Quote:
"We can do no great things...only small things with great love. - Mother Teresa
disneygirlinphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

My heart aches for all of you moms
My mother lost a baby girl only a few hours old, years before I was born. It is only now that I am a mother and read your stories that I can only begin to imagine your sense of loss.

I will keep you all in my heart~

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: