Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #76
PearlySwan
"I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams." W.B. Yeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntkg1 View Post
I mentioned this thread to my DH last night and was also hoping to get a few for Oct of 2011. But, he thought he heard somewhere that KSC may not exist as we know it next year. Something about the space program being "on hold"???? Perhaps that only affects the launches though?

I hope he's wrong.

^^^ Your husband is right. Many people are not happy with Obama's call on this one, including Neil Armstrong. Read on:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...775979&ps=cprs

AND

http://www.universetoday.com/2010/01...ridas-economy/

Many people have failed to realize how important space exploration has been to the advancement of technologies.
PearlySwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #77
birkner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebuck View Post
First the good news. . . my Congressman just emailed me again, with a confirmation for 4 free tickets!

Now my problem . . . When he originally emailed last month and said he couldn't get any tickets for me, I collected Tropicana points for the buy one get one free all day experience and booked that experience. In addition to the general admission, IMAX, etc, it includes lunch with an astronaut, the Discover KSC bus tour and two $20 coupons to spend at the retail shop. The cost to me for my family of 4 is $149. Now I need to decide whether to just stick with the basic admission (which is totally free) or use the coupons for the day experience. My kids are bound to spend at least $40 in the gift shop, so the real extra cost is probably more like $109.

Has anyone done the lunch or Discovery KSC bus tour? Is it worth spending the extra money? (We're not on a real tight budget, so I'd be willing to do it if it is fun/interesting.) If it matters, my DDs are 8 and 10 and both are interested in the space program but not fanatical about it.
Due to time constraints, we did the lunch with an astronaut in 2006 with our three GK's who really enjoyed asking the astronaut Tom Jones many questions. The GK's were 12, 9 and 6. He was very patient, a good speaker and my GK's really loved the experience. Lunch was ok not spectacular and we bought his autographed book, Sky Walking, An Astronaut's Memoir. I would do it again if it were an interesting astronaut. You can always check on the Kennedy Space Center to see who is scheduled during the time you plan to visit. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/...sit/index.html

Here is his website to get an idea of about Tom Jones.http://home.comcast.net/~skywalking/biography.htm
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #78
JenGC
DIS Veteran

My response from Congressman Jim Cooper

I sent this email

I was told that I could contact you in regards to free tickets to Kennedy Space Center at Port Canaveral, FL. My daughter which is 8, mother, my daughter's other grandmother and I are going down there September 25-30 for a cruise for my daughter's 9th birthday and thought this would be an excellent learning experience fro my daughter. She is home schooled so any opportunity I can find to further her education in a fun atmosphere, I am very interested in.

Thank you so much for your time in this matter and for what you are doing for out state. I know dealing with the current flooding situation here in Nashville is a very stressful task. Thanks to the good Lord above, we were not affected in an way.

Sincerely,

Jen Coss

This is the reply I got from his office (not him)

Jen,

Thank you for your recent email about shuttle launch tickets. If you could please let me know the launch and how many tickets you are requesting I am happy to place the request. There is a limit of 5 tickets per request.

NASA gives out tickets in first come, first serve order and does not notify us until one month prior to the launch. If tickets are granted you will hear from me and then they will mail you a packet. I have your address and will give this to our NASA liaison.

Once I get all of the information from you and submit the request I will also be able to notify you if there are currently no tickets and you are waitlisted.

Thank you and look forward to working with you.

Sincerely--

Allison

Allison Bates

DC Scheduler

Office of Rep. Jim Cooper (TN-05)

1536 Longworth House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

p. (202) 225-4311

f. (202) 226-1035

Huh? Why would she think I wanted to see a launch (exept for the fact that they HAVE public viewing for launches)?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #79
JenGC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlySwan View Post
^^^ Your husband is right. Many people are not happy with Obama's call on this one, including Neil Armstrong.
What else is new!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #80
psugrad99
Earning My Ears

I just received an email from our representative (western PA) that includes a confirmation fax for our free tickets to KSC in October 2010. I was there when I was a kid and I can't wait to take mine. Not too sure how much the youngest will appreciate it but he will love to see the rockets.

DCL - Land & Sea - Nov 2004, Western Double Dip - Nov 2006, Land & Sea - Dec 2008, East Caribbean - Oct 2010 - Takin' the In Laws, 5 Night Double Dip on the Dream - April 2012, West Caribbean - Oct 2013, West Caribbean - Oct 2015

WDW - Caribbean Beach & MNSSHP - Oct 2012, Port Orleans Riverside - April 2013, VGF - Nov 2014

psugrad99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #81
kennedyparalegal
kennedyparalegal

Jen,

I got almost exactly the same response from my congressman's office in April. I e-mailed back that I wasn't aware of a launch at the time of our cruise and that we were interested in seeing the space center, etc. To date I haven't heard back.

I am just hoping it all works out. Beggers can't be choosers as my dad is fond of saying.
kennedyparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #82
JenGC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedyparalegal View Post
Jen,

I got almost exactly the same response from my congressman's office in April. I e-mailed back that I wasn't aware of a launch at the time of our cruise and that we were interested in seeing the space center, etc. To date I haven't heard back.

I am just hoping it all works out. Beggers can't be choosers as my dad is fond of saying.
Well, it is obvious who in Washington is on the ball and who isn't. Maybe I will reply in a while and list all of your congressmen that DID so something and say, "Why don't you ask THEM what I am talking about. THEY approved their district!!"

Oh well, you are right about that but what a learning opportunity!!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #83
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

yeah!

I just got a confirmation email from our Virginia Senator, Mark Warner! We will get to have four free tickets for the KSC for the day before our cruise in October. Yahoo! One of my twins dressed up like an astronaut last year (the other was a princess) so she will be especially thrilled to see everything.
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #84
piglet33
DIS Veteran

I emailed my congressman the end of April and got a response May 19 that our tickets will be waiting for us for our October trip. My DD loves everything about astronauts and space and is going to be so surprised when we go.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:51 AM   #85
Nandid
Earning My Ears

I emailed my congressman last wednesday and by friday the had a email sent to me and even someone from his office called to confirm 4 tickets for a trip in September. They would of even been able to get us launch tickets for the september 16th launch if we wanted them.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #86
pamcarey
Mouseketeer

I just found this thread and immediately emailed my congresswoman here in Massachusetts. Fingers crossed! It would be great to save that money to put toward something else on our cruise!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #87
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

I emailed our congressman Gus Bilirakis (Tampa) -who others have often gotten tickets from and never even received a reply of any kind from his office. Pretty dissapointed we didn't even get a "sorry, thanks anyway" reply.

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #88
piglet33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
I emailed our congressman Gus Bilirakis (Tampa) -who others have often gotten tickets from and never even received a reply of any kind from his office. Pretty dissapointed we didn't even get a "sorry, thanks anyway" reply.
When did you email him? It does take some time for them to get back to you.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #89
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet33 View Post
When did you email him? It does take some time for them to get back to you.
It's been a couple of weeks at this point. I guess I'll hold out hope!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #90
starchef
Mouseketeer

This is a great find, last October the kids wanted to go and we just didn't have the time. We are going June 2011, so we will be emailing our congress people around the end of this year. It would be really cool if this works out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: