Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
flipflopmom
DIS Veteran

Welcome home to Zip A dee doo dah days!!! Updated 7/10 The Plan!

We just got home at midnight, and I can't wait to write this TR! This was our first trip as DVC members, and it was truly magical.

The cast and background:

DH - Fourth trip to WDW. Once as a child, our honeymoon to the Wilderness Lodge in 1996 when the castle was Pepto Pink Cake, last year for the first time as a Daddy at Pop, and this year at Bay Lake Towers. The driver, money controller, fastpass holder, eater, magic believing, Disney lovin Daddy! He wanted a bit more rest than he got this year. "Great trip, not a vacation, though!"

ME! Kindergarten Teacher, working on my Master's Degree. 3rd trip, the planner, obsessed, WDW freak! A bit of sadness, I lost my Daddy to cancer in September, and this trip began on Father's Day. So there are times of tears. I began a trip down weight loss lane, and until the trip had lost 56 pounds. That changed just a bit after DXDP!

DD1 - Age 10, A gymnast, picky eater, beginning the Diva almost teen attitude. Loves Disney, and mood swings from 3 to 13!!!! Loves to ride the thrill rides, then screams the whole time!

DD2 - Age 3. Hit 40 inches this trip. IS ALL ABOUT THE CHARACTERS and the RIDES!!!!

Our journey started Saturday night, 6:00 pm, for a 12 hr. ride to WDW! DH slept all day Saturday, while I was in class and the girls were at their grandparents. It was an uneventful trip, which is good, and we pulled into CR/BLT at 6:00am. They were a little..... Not too many people get there that early.

They couldn't do anything official, since the computers don't roll over to add dining until 7am. So we passed off our luggage to bell services, DD1 looked at the castle and cried, DD2 looked at the castle and squealed! We wandered around CR for a bit, the girls watched the Mickey cartoons in the lobby....

Finally, it was 7am, and we got our KTTW, and went over to check out our new home. Just gorgeous!

Our room wasn't ready, but we walked over to MK and got in line for RD. Of course, I cried during the Welcome show, and got funny looks b/c I knew all the words to the welcome song, but that's okay!

Cried walking down Main st. DH got lots of "Happy Father's Day" from all the CM's, which was nice, and then we hit the Main St. Bakery for breakfast!

I am working on my dining reviews at the same time as I do this, so I'll insert a link to the review of each meal when I get to it.

Main St. Bakery Breakfast

Last edited by flipflopmom; 07-10-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
katiebelle21
DIS Veteran

Hi! I remember you from the July boards last year. I can't wait to hear about your trip! We are staying at BLT for the first time in a just a few weeks.

I am so sorry to hear about your father.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
serendipity
DIS Veteran

Great start!
January 2008- Paris (with day trip to Disneyland Paris), Germany, Austria, Florence and Rome!!!/May 2007- Honeymoon at Disneyland and the great out west!/February 2007-Long weekend at POR/November 2007-Early Christmas at ASSp/WL/AKL/April 2006-Birthday celebration/1st trip with my husband at ASMo/AKL/1996-2000- Summers in Orlando every year to visit my Grandmother

Old 06-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
flipflopmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebelle21 View Post
Hi! I remember you from the July boards last year. I can't wait to hear about your trip! We are staying at BLT for the first time in a just a few weeks.

I am so sorry to hear about your father.

You will it! And thanks.... it's been a rough year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
Great start!
Thanks! I am procrastinating. I really, really should be unpacking!
Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
flipflopmom
DIS Veteran

Journey into Tomorrow!

After breakfast, we wandered to tomorrowland. DH's fav. ride as a child was Space Mtn, and it was down for refurb last summer. So, we headed that way, I got fast passes, and we rode Buzz. The kids LOVE that ride for some reason! Then we took our first trip on the TTA, that was also down last year. Had a chance encounter with Chip and Dale, which was cool. Also did the Monster's Inc. Laugh floor for the first time, which was okay. It was pretty funny, the girls liked it!

Decided to try out DD's measurement, knew she would be close, and sure enough, she had hit 40! So she went on her first ride on Stitch. She yelled at him the whole time, b/c "you ate my ice cream!" We had a photopass magic shot of him eating ice cream last year, and all she can remember is that she didn't have any, so he must have eaten hers. It was so funny! I must say, that ride was MUCH better when it was ALIEN!

DD2 still wasn't tall enough for Space, so we did a rider swap. The new effects are pretty cool. DD1 really enjoyed it, even though she was fearful since it is in a single file line.

Pictures from the morning, I'll do most as clickables, so if you want to see something bigger, just click it. I will save the big ones for my favorite pictures! I love to put pics in!

About this time, we got the call saying our room was ready. It was time for our noon ADR at the Plaza. We decided to leave TL, go to lunch, then go see our room!

Plaza dining review

After lunch, I took a few photos of some of the main st. tarps.

The girls wanted new ears, so we stopped at the Chapeau on our way out. DH also got a really cool "Por favor, mantengense alejado de las puertas" cap. Pinocchio was right outside with just a couple of people in line, and we got in it since the girls had never met him. You can see their ears in the picture:

Then we got on the monorail to check out our new home! Up next: BLT!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
ksl5f123
DIS Veteran

Great start!

Wow - a 6 AM arrival! I didn't know about the 7 AM rollover - that is really useful information.

My kids LOVE the Buzz ride too!

Ready to hear more about your trip...
Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
flipflopmom
DIS Veteran

Blt

So, once we were done in MK, we went to BLT to go to our room, and get our stuff from bell services. I must say, I my new home, and I knowing I have it to come back to each year makes the scrimping each month to pay for it easier.

We had room 7828, which we had booked as a theme park studio. Well, from the corner of the balcony, the view of MK was GREAT!!!

However, the straight on view was monorail and the Grand Floridian. Not terrible views by any means, but not worth using more points to stay in that view room.

This is a zoomed in pic from our room:

And here is the straight on, no zoom view:

But the Tower, pool, etc. was awesome! It was a great welcome home, and you can't beat the walk to and from MK, especially after fireworks when EVERYONE is leaving!!!! Just being on the monorail was heavenly, especially when DD2 fell asleep in her stroller!

After we looked around a bit, and got all the stuff I brought from bell services, DH took a nap, the girls crashed on the sofa in front of the tv, and I unpacked and "set up" the room. I can't rest until I do! We had a 5:00 ADR for DH's Father's Day dinner at Ohana, so we didn't have tooo long!

Up next: Why we will go to Disney every year, Ohana, and Father's Day.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
flipflopmom
DIS Veteran

Ohana Father's Day Dinner

Okay, so part of the bargain for us to buy DVC was that DH would get 2 Ohana dinners each trip. It is his favorite restaurant EVER, and has been much anticipating it all year long!

When we checked in at 5, we had quite a long wait, but we had a great table and waiter, so it was worth it. The "lei lady" did a little talking about Father's Day, and I was afraid I would lose it thinking about Daddy. I teared up a little, and then she had the Father's come up on the floor with their kids to dance. Watching DH and the girls dance took me from a little teared up to spilling over tears! The song was the ukelele version of Somewhere over the Rainbow, which is one of my all-time favorites.

It made me think of a song that is very special to DH and I, and it really brings home WHY we want to go to Disney every year. People think we are crazy, but we really get to bond and be together, and makes us closer when we get home. We are away from the rat race, and in the middle of the magic.

I'm going to copy and paste the lyrics, so I'll add the copyright. The song is called Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman.

She spins and she sways
To whatever song plays
Without a care in the world
And I'm sitting here wearing
The weight of the world on my shoulders

It's been a long day
And there's still work to do
She's pulling at me
Saying "Dad, I need you

There's a ball at the castle
And I've been invited
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone...

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Dad, the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancing

And she'll be gone

She will be gone

Well, she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowing and telling us all they had planned
She says, "Dad, the wedding's still six months away
But I need to practice my dancing

And she'll be gone

These Cinderella lyrics are property of their owners. The Cinderella lyrics are used only for educational purposes. © 2010 Smart Lyrics. All rights reserved.

I had never heard the song until someone sang it at church, and when I asked him about it, he told me the artist, and that shortly after it was released one of the daughters, age 5, that inspired and he wrote it for was killed in a car accident. We never know how much time we'll have with those we love, and once they are gone, all we have is memories. WDW is our way of making those memories for our girls, and us, to have for forever.

Thanks for indulging me in that. Watching DH play with the girls tonight, when he usually says he's tired, and writing about their dance made me think of it, and I hope it speaks to someone that reads this!

Here is the link to my review of Ohana's food. Ohana Father's Day dinner

My memory is a bit hazy on what happened the next few hours. I *think* DH took the girls to the pool for a couple of hours, but we may have just showered a crashed. I do know we watched the Nightastic fireworks from the balcony at 10, and they were amazing! More on that later when we watched them from the park. DD2 fell asleep right before they started in my lap on the balcony, and we were all fighting to stay awake to see them. Something happened in the middle, and they had to stop for about 30 minutes. We went to bed, fell asleep quickly, and were awoken by the booms when it restarted. It was a great way to end the day.

Tomorrow: Kona breakfast, MK rope drop, Boma dinner, and AK EMH at night!

Last edited by flipflopmom; 06-29-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
flipflopmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksl5f123 View Post
Great start!

Wow - a 6 AM arrival! I didn't know about the 7 AM rollover - that is really useful information.

My kids LOVE the Buzz ride too!

Ready to hear more about your trip...
We didn't know about it, either. But it was cool arriving in the dark! I'm trying to do one day at a time, but I am doing dining at the same time, and trying to do it first. I am afraid I'll forget something if I don't get it done quickly!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
flipflopmom
DIS Veteran

Monday! Kona and MK Harmony Barber Shop

So we had a 7:20 ADR at Kona. Thankfully, the monorail was running swiftly this morning, so we got there on time. Here is the review:

Kona breakfast

After breakfast, we made it to MK by 8:50 or so for rope drop at 9:00. There were a ton of people ahead of us.

It was seriously HOT! We were just melting by the time we got there. The plan I had for the day was to do the Dumbo dash and fantasyland, then toontown.

Well, DH had not had time for a haircut before the trip, and it was really bothering him, so the plans changed, and we went to the Barber Shop. There were 3 families ahead of us. Something I did not know - a lady there said that she had 9:15 appts. made by concierge at her resort, All Stars, so they took her ahead of us even though we were in there first. A good thing to remember.

DD2 got her first haircut here last summer, and it was a great experience. She insisted that "I get my haircut at the castle" like a true princess, and didn't want one anywhere else during the year, so she definitely needed one!

She and DH got haircuts, and DD1 got stripes and pixie dust. Now, as you will see in pictures from the coming days, DD1 has a TON of hair. Very thick, coarse, and curly. She ended up fighting an afro from the humidity all week!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
dolfinjuls
DIS Veteran

Good start! I am really considering staying at BLT if I can get a ressie @ 7 months for our next trip. But I should probably stay at our actual home first! haha. So when you called, you requested a theme park view? What category is that-point wise? MK View? Your view was amazing!

And it's funny, your DH's 'Ohana is my DH's Le Cellier. He really wanted to go at least twice this trip, but changed it to one time. We're not doing DxDDP after all!

Love the girl's hair from the barber shop! I've been thinking of bringing my girl's there. I have read on another thread that you can no make ressies for the barber shop by calling the dining line! Strange!
1994: 1st Trip @ age 12 off-site, 2000: Senior Trip@ All-Star Sports, August 10-16th 2008 @ Pop! First trip with family!, July 20-30 2009 @ SSR! First trip as DVC members!, Nov 27-Dec 4 2010 @ Pop! 11/4-11/10/11 @ AKV/Pop!, Nov4-8th 2012 at DHHIR
Next trip????
Old 06-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
dellasgirl
Mouseketeer

z

Last edited by dellasgirl; 07-01-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
mommyof2Pirates
DIS Veteran

wow taryn you are a posting queen! Your trip seems to have gotten off to a great start. Im trying to not miss any comments but if I do I apologize.

Im glad the drive was uneventful and I cant believe you were there at 6am. Thats a great way to get a full day in. The cinnamon buns from the bakery looked so yummy I am putting that on my list for next trip. Did you use a snack credit for that? Im glad your DD2 made the 40 inch mark, my 3 yr old is only at 37inches, Im hoping he hits 40 by our next family trip which hopefully is in summer of 2012. He's a shrimp.

The girls ears they made were so adorable. The views from your room were amazing and I bet the convenience of the monorail and walk to and from MK is priceless!!! Dinner at ohana's has me sold. I was contemplating fitting that in during my princess trip and now its a definite. That food looked so yummy! I can see why your now having to work extra hard after returning. I feel like I gained a lb just looking at the pics. The fireworks from the balcony were a perfect way to end your day. I have to tell you I was in tears reading about your dinner at ohana's and the dads dancing with their daughters. Just hearing somewhere over the rainbow gives me chills. That cinderella song put me over the edge. The reason why he wrote the song is so sad but so right. We always have to live every day like its our last, you just never know. Thanks for sharing it.

The Kona breakfast looked great too. My kids are big bacon eaters and I cringe after the 3rd piece but they love it. They usually only get it once every week or two so I let them indulge. I have to say I love the juice too. We were talking about that for months after our last trip and ohana breakfast.

I love, love, love the girls hair do's from the barber shop....how cool!

I cant wait to read more!

Ps. sorry for the book!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #14
flipflopmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfinjuls View Post
Good start! I am really considering staying at BLT if I can get a ressie @ 7 months for our next trip. But I should probably stay at our actual home first! haha. So when you called, you requested a theme park view? What category is that-point wise? MK View? Your view was amazing!

And it's funny, your DH's 'Ohana is my DH's Le Cellier. He really wanted to go at least twice this trip, but changed it to one time. We're not doing DxDDP after all!
Smart move!!!! I am still recovering! Yes, it's a MK view, but they've changed the wording to a theme park view for some odd reason. We haven't made it to Le Cell yet. I couldn't get an ADR after we added DxDDp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellasgirl View Post
We were there about the same time frame and i agree about the heat.
It was terrible.
Looks like you had a great start to your vacation
Looking forward to the rest of your report
Thanks! Oppressive is definitely a word for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2Pirates View Post
wow taryn you are a posting queen! Your trip seems to have gotten off to a great start. Im trying to not miss any comments but if I do I apologize.

Im glad the drive was uneventful and I cant believe you were there at 6am. Thats a great way to get a full day in. The cinnamon buns from the bakery looked so yummy I am putting that on my list for next trip. Did you use a snack credit for that? Im glad your DD2 made the 40 inch mark, my 3 yr old is only at 37inches, Im hoping he hits 40 by our next family trip which hopefully is in summer of 2012. He's a shrimp.

Ps. sorry for the book!
Well, DD1 is our shrimp. She didn't hit 40 until after she finished Kindergarten! There are 7 years difference in their ages, but little one will catch up quickly!

We did use snack credits for the bakery stuff. It was a great way to use them. We got one later in the week, and brought it home. It's still sitting there! Ohana is delicious, but you will leave so very, very, very full!!!!

I love TR's, b/c I get to relive the trip. I am trying to get it all done by the end of the week, but I don't think that's going to happen, since it's Wed. and I only have one day done. And you KNOW my propensities towards books, so write away!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
flipflopmom
DIS Veteran

Trying something new! So after DH foiled my plans for the morning, I knew trying anything in Fantasyland would be a bust!

When we came out of the Barber Shop, the Main St. Fireman was outside, and the girls stopped to chat and for a picture. He was fun.

We did go over to Mickey's Philharmagic, which is a favorite of the entire family. I don't understand why there doesn't ever seem to be a wait, it truly is one of the best attractions in MK!

After the show, Peter Pan and Wendy were just outside of the theatre. They were two characters we hadn't met, so we did another rare stop. DD2 was shockingly scared of Peter Pan, even though she loves the movie. Don't really know what was up with that? So DD1 went over, and we had a blast with those two. Wendy wanted to know what was up with DD's hair, put her finger in the paint, and asked her "friend" the handler if she could put it in her own hair. Then she asked if it was icing and if she could eat it. She finally took the paint and dabbed it back into DD's hair, in the shape of a Mickey head. If you look in the last picture, you can faintly see it in the middle in front. Sooo fun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: