Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #31
selenafan
Earning My Ears

my little sister would love this!
selenafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #32
littlepeppers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistractedbyDisney! View Post
Just wondering, for everyone that has gone to Akerhaus with children, have you dressed them up in princess costumes? I'm on the fence with this as it's one more thing to lug around after our meal, but I don't want my daughter to feel left out if all the other little diners are dressed up!
Don't do the traditional princess gown. Shop somewhere like etsy.com for a cotton princess inspired dress that she can be comfortable in all day and still be a princess.

I have this one for my DD3 to wear. All cotton & totaly wearable all day.
09 POP
10 POP

littlepeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #33
QTPie7375
Mouseketeer

We have done both with our 3 year old daughter. We are all in agreement (even our daughter) that while they were both great Akershus was better in the long run. Nothing compares with first walking into Cinderellas castle but after that it doesnt compare to Akershus. The inside of Akershus is beautiful and the Princesses have much more time to spend with each child. The food is even a little better at Akershus in my opinion (not that it matters when you have a 3 year old--who can eat when she is squealing in delight and bubbling with excitement!)
2004 Honeymoon at WDW
2006 Grand Floridian/Disney Cruise and we became DVC members!!!
2007 Saratoga Springs
2009 Saratoga Springs
Sept 2013 Wilderness Lodge/Saratoga Springs with our three little ones! (First time for two of them)
QTPie7375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:44 AM   #34
greg42
Mouseketeer

Can't compare to CRT. Having just been to breakfast at Akershus last week, though, I can talk about that, and I'll compare it to another breakfast experience:

The setting is appealingly castle-like inside, or royal, as the name actually states. The princess interaction is quite good. The main princess of our party was a not-quite-3-year-old in a Cinderella dress. The entry photo was with Belle, and 4 additional princesses that I can remember (Aurora, Cinderella, Ariel and Snow White) greeted our table, signed autographs, posed for photos, etc. You don't leave feeling like you didn't get enough attention from the characters, IMO.

Food is not bad. Cold buffet which includes a few Norwegian type items (herring, maybe that's what you always wanted for breakfast ) as well as fruit, yogurt, pastries, etc. Then you get some hot food (bacon, sausage, eggs and a potato/cheese dish) served family style to the table. What I don't see brought up much (or at least missed in my reading) is that the attempt to waste the least food (I can understand this) can be taken to a somewhat ridiculous extreme. We were a party of 6 adults and two non-paying children (young enough to be free). The plate brought out had a lot of bacon and sausage and then enough eggs and potatoes for about 2 adults in a reasonable (not at all oversized) portion. The potato stuff is good and you want more of it, but the service is slow and indifferent, and it's hot in there, so instead you just want to get out. Or I did, anyway. (I don't know why it was extra hot in there, but it was.)

Inefficient service started from the Epcot front gate, where apparently no one was let in until 8:00 (we arrived about 7:45). We had 8:05 reservation; I assume the reservations start at 8:00. Was more like 8:30 before we got in. So they are well behind even first thing in the morning! It was such a contrast to the earlier breakfast we had at Tusker House (AK). Maybe it's because the park was opening at 8:00 there for Extra Magic (standard 9:00 opening for Epcot), but they let us through well in advance, we got a front row view of the opening show and rope drop, and the service getting into and more importantly while inside Tusker House was far better. Of course, Tusker House is Donald's Safari Breakfast, not exactly the same, but taking out the character aspect, and the theming (both have good theming and good character interaction, just different types), the service was better at Tusker. The food might be marginally better at Akershus (maybe a lot better if you really want smoked salmon).

Akershus is the place to go for princesses, though. I'd like to think I saw an off day for service. Maybe the food at lunch/dinner makes it more worth it. At least then you get a dedicated entree plate for yourself. But you're still reliant on the service. Maybe just one mediocre waiter, dunno. Theming and characters are good. 2 out of 3 ain't bad? Or is that 2.5 out of 4 (food and service separately)?
greg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #35
littlepeppers
DIS Veteran

We have 8:30 res. at Akasherus (spelling? sorry) on a day where the parks open at 9am.

Where do you go to get in early? What is the location of the early reservation entrance. I've seen people go into DHS early, but didn't pay attention to the exact procedure. I would assume we need to get in the park right after 8am to walk all the way over there & sign in before our reservation time.
09 POP
10 POP

littlepeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #36
nytimez
Nihilist

The lunch/dinner food is awful, IMO -- but the princess interaction is pretty good. I hear breakfast is better, but we just don't get to the parks that early, and when we do we want to hit the attractions.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #37
greg42
Mouseketeer

Regardless of the park, if you are entering early for breakfast or another appointment there will be a well-marked set of entry gates where they will check for your name on a reservation list (really low tech, printed out paper list) before letting you go through. Arrive earlier than your res; they will let you in to the park at least, although in Epcot I don't think you can go too many places apart from walking straight to Norway. (At MK, for example, you get all of Main Street to wander in, including at least some shops, even before official opening.)

In my limited experience, they seemed a little disorganized with the breakfast entry at the Epcot gate, but that could have been just a bad day. We did see one couple who had apparently arrived at 8am in order to be first in for the real 9am opening! They were standing at a non-breakfast gate and clearly didn't have a breakfast res. But you'll know where to go, it will be obvious. Plenty of others will have a res at similar time and will be going in as well. A res confirmation printout could be helpful in a mixup, but as long as your name is on the list you won't need it.
greg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #38
Turkey Lurkey
DDC 551
Geeks can help people too
For some reason, I have been banished from the room

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoresnr View Post
as an adult couple, do the princesses still all come to you table?
we have an ADR in Sept for just my husband and myself and I don't want to feel left out
Yes they do. I surprised my wife with a ressie for breakfast there on our honeymoon trip several years ago (Sleeping Beauty is her favorite character, and at the time the Breakfast was considered "Her" character meal, so it was guaranteed that we'd see her). We saw her, Jasmine, Belle, Mary Poppins, and Mulan. With the exception of Mulan, they all spent time at our table and took pictures with us. Mulan just kind of stopped by, said hi, and moved on. She was more the exception than the rule though.

TL
DIS Dad's Member #551
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 - Updated, but never complete!
Turkey Lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #39
Brooklyn
"la dolce far niente" (the sweetness of doing nothing)

Is the photo package included with the breakfast? Does anyone have any pictures of the breakfast plate?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #40
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

Yes the photo is included in the price. We actually got 2 sets of photos because we were 5. It's one photo per 4 people.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #41
wdwislife
DIS Veteran

We've done both, and love both!

WDW TRIPS Feb 2000: offsite | Feb 2002: offsite/yacht club | Feb 2004: offsite | Feb 2006: offsite | Feb 2008: offsite/boardwalk | Feb 2010: Contemporary/offsite | Dec 2010: SUPRISE TRIP at the POP! | Feb 2012: offsite/all-star movies | May 2013: POFQ | Aug 2013: AKL | Sept 2013: FW Cabins | Nov 2013: YC | Dec 2013: CBR | March 2014: Offsite | August 2014: POP/Cabana Bay | DL TRIPS Aug 2008: offsite | July 2009: offsite | Aug 2011: offsite | DCL TRIPS Aug 2012: 4 Day Canada/NE, Disney Magic | DLP TRIPS Dec 2012: Sequoia Lodge |
wdwislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #42
arcticdisneylovers
DIS Veteran

We've done both and the food was better at Akershus. We thought the character interaction and service were better too! That being said, we are doing BOTH on our upcoming trip. The castle is the castle and we can't miss even though the food and service are generally sub par
arcticdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #43
zamboniman333
Ye come Seeking Adventure and Saly Old Pirates, A Ye?

CC for holding ADR only?

We have a question about Akershus and the Dinning Plan. So when you book Akershus you have to give a CC# to hold the reservation is that all you are giving them the CC# for? In case you don't show up or cancel in the right amount of time they will charge your card? We have a ADR there in 2 weeks and were just wondering as we will be on the Dinning Plan and want to make sure that is all we had to give the CC# for? Thank you in advance!

zamboniman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #44
zamboniman333
Ye come Seeking Adventure and Saly Old Pirates, A Ye?

Anyone?

zamboniman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #45
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

We actually like Akershus over CRT. We love the food (only go for breakfast and nothing beats those cheesy potatoes ), the princess interaction, the service, and the atmosphere. Don't get me wrong we do like to dine in the Castle as well only because we are IN the castle not because of the food or the princess interaction. We have started liking to go to CRT for dinner because the food at that time is much better than the food for breakfast IMHO plus since we are on the DxDP, we can justify the cost to go in the Castle more. But if you are not on the DDP, then I would say go to Akershus, you get more bang for your buck. Good luck and have fun.

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: