Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
eatatmidnight
Mouseketeer

How long should it take the police to file an accident report?

DS was involved in an accident (at college in KY) a couple of weeks ago. He has been checking the website that the police officer gave him and the report wasn't there. My sister in law lives in the area and took him to the police department to check it out. They were told it has not been filed yet and gave them a number to call. Isn't there a time in which a police report has to be filed?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

My husband was a police officer in a small-ish town and the police reports they did would be ready for the public 24 hours after the officer left his/her shift. Your son's should have been ready by now. I'd have him ask to speak to a records supervisor or even the officer who wrote up the report and find out what's going on. There is always a chance that the officer didn't file it.
Swimalie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
deerhart
DIS Veteran

its really depends.

Around here, it can easily take 2 weeks after the report is filed for it to become available.

Now the filing of the report can also take several weeks as well. It depends on the department. Some departments will allow a report to be filed and then supplements to the report filed after that (if there is some ongoing investigation), others will not allow the initial report to be filed until after the initial investigation is completed.

Thus, lets say they are waiting on information from the other driver, the report may not be allowed to be initially filed until they get that information.
deerhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
eatatmidnight
Mouseketeer

UPDATE

A call was made and DS has the police report. Thank you so much for your advice.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

It all depends on the police department. Was the city police or State Police involved?? I know when I was in an accident and Kentucky State Police did the report I had it within 3 days but then had to have corrections made which took another couple of days. Also, if it was during the recent snow storms that could slow things down some.

ETA: Sorry just saw the update. Glad he has the report now.

Last edited by Leajess99; 02-19-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: didn't read ahead
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: