Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
kk&shay
Earning My Ears

Can we use the pools at other resorts in Disney?

We are staying at POR but I would like to check out the other resorts while we're there. Can we use the pools at the sister resorts?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk&shay View Post
We are staying at POR but I would like to check out the other resorts while we're there. Can we use the pools at the sister resorts?
No, with the exception of the other Port Orleans pool.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Disneyadore
DIS Veteran

You hit one of the most hot topic on this board.

I would recommend to use the search function and search on pool hopping.
To answer your question, unless you are a DVC member, pool hopping in not allowed.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
kk&shay
Earning My Ears

Thanks, I will do a search.

But really, how would they know if you were staying at that resort or not? Do they actually ask for id or room keys while you're at the pool?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
stepdisney
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I instantly turned into "one of those moms"
I think I'm going to start looking for ways to fit jive into my daily vocabulary

Quote:
To answer you question, yes you can use the pools at POFQ the sister resort of POR. You cannot, however, use pools at any other resort. You can visit other resorts and check out the beautiful lobbies, gift shops and even enjoy the dining at all of the resorts on site. The only limitation is the pool use and activities for resort guests only. Enjoy your POR stay. I hear it is one of the most beautiful resorts.

June 2000 1st trip off site~Oct. 2005 POP~ Aug/Sept. 2007 WL~Aug/Sept. 2008 AKL ~Aug/Sept. 2009 Kidani Village~Aug/Sept. 2010WL/Grand Gathering~ Aug. 2011 YC Aug. 2012 YC CL~Aug. 2014 AKL
Old 02-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

As a guest of POR, you can only use the pools at POR and POFQ (which is a sister resort of POR). Disney's policy is that pools are only for the use of guests of that resort.

You're welcome to visit any of the Disney resorts and shop, dine, use recreational facilities like boat rentals, or just explore. The only thing that would be off-limits is the resort pools.

Many of the resorts also offer special entertainment that's open to the public....for instance, AKL has storytelling, FW has a campfire program with Chip & Dale.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

But really, how would they know if you were staying at that resort or not? Do they actually ask for id or room keys while you're at the pool?
The resorts with the better pools (i.e., the ones that are worth hopping to) do random resort ID checks at the pools, and those without proper ID are asked to leave. At YC/BC, which has the best resort pool on property, they check IDs for everyone before you can enter the pool area.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Yes, you can use the pool at POR's only sister resort - POFQ.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

You can be asked for resort ID at any time!!! I have been at the Polynesian pool as well as Boardwalk pool when people were asked to show their resort IDs. They weren't able to show ID, so they were told to leave immediatly.
The guests of these resorts pay a lot of money to have 'special' amenities...nicer pools are one of those amenities. Why would anyone feel it's okay to just go and use a pool at another resort is beyond me. My favorite post is the one where someone says they just want to 'try out that pool to see if they want to stay there in the future'.....it's water, it's the same water you have at your resort. You don't need to get into the water to see what the slide looks like!!!

If you are staying at POR you will be able to use the pool at POFQ. The pool at POR is a very nice pool...one of my dd's favorites. But other than those two resorts, you can't swim at other resort pools.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Quote:

I have never actually seen this happen in the 25 years I have been going to Disney resorts but others have reported seeing ID's checked. I will say this, when we were guests at the Polynesian and couldn't use the pool because it was over crowded, I wish they would of been checking ID's. This is a touchy subject on the DISboards.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Old 02-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvr View Post
I have never actually seen this happen in the 25 years I have been going to Disney resorts but others have reported seeing ID's checked. I will say this, when we were guests at the Polynesian and couldn't use the pool because it was over crowded, I wish they would of been checking ID's. This is a touchy subject on the DISboards.
When we were at the Polynesian, one hot/steamy Aug afternoon, we were surprised to not be able to find anything even remotely close to the pool to sit on. We ended up way in the back, towards the rear of the bar area. Well, imagine my surprise when I was in the pool, and a group of adults were passing by me. They were commenting on how much nicer this pool was than the one they had at the Holiday Inn!!!! Are you kidding me??? And to top it off....when they got out of the pool, they went over to a poolside table, where there was a group sitting. They had two tables pushed close to each other, with about 5 chaises taken as well...had to be a group of about 8 there. And they weren't particularly quiet about the fact that they weren't guests of that resort. Well....as I putted about the pool with my dd, I saw the lifeguard go up to them, ask them something....couldn't hear from where I was. But, they did gather up their stuff, and stomped off...all of them. They were not happy campers.
But, like you, I have been there when there were non-resort swimmers there...and no ond said a word. It gets so crowded in that pool that we stopped using it and used only the quiet pool.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Quote:

No, they don't...exept for the Beach Club, sometimes.

You aren't supposed to, but if you wanted to be a rule-breaker, you probably could get away with it.

But...why? Why would you want to pack up your crap and take the bus (or drive your car) over to another place, walk to their pool, swim in that pool, sunbathe...then pack up all your crap and go back to the bus (or your car) all sweaty or wet, get back to your hotel and walk back to your room?

What is the allure of a different swimming pool that would put you through all that?

I have swum in every Disney pool except a couple at POR and there wasn't one that would make me travel to swim in it.

So, I'm curious...why do you want to do that????
Fantasmic sucks.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
When we were at the Polynesian, one hot/steamy Aug afternoon, we were surprised to not be able to find anything even remotely close to the pool to sit on. We ended up way in the back, towards the rear of the bar area. Well, imagine my surprise when I was in the pool, and a group of adults were passing by me. They were commenting on how much nicer this pool was than the one they had at the Holiday Inn!!!! Are you kidding me??? And to top it off....when they got out of the pool, they went over to a poolside table, where there was a group sitting. They had two tables pushed close to each other, with about 5 chaises taken as well...had to be a group of about 8 there. And they weren't particularly quiet about the fact that they weren't guests of that resort. Well....as I putted about the pool with my dd, I saw the lifeguard go up to them, ask them something....couldn't hear from where I was. But, they did gather up their stuff, and stomped off...all of them. They were not happy campers.
But, like you, I have been there when there were non-resort swimmers there...and no ond said a word. It gets so crowded in that pool that we stopped using it and used only the quiet pool.
I really wish they would of done this when we were there. It was impossible to enjoy the pool or even sit near it. Splurging on the Poly was a real treat for us but we had to use the quiet pool for swimming and sun bathing.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

POR has one main pool and 5 quiet pools located throughout the resort. Add that to the main pool at POFQ and you have 7 pools that you can swim in. Why leave the resort to pool hop when you can do it right there? Seriously, if you're staying a week then you could swim in a different pool every day.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
RichmondTiggerFan
Favorites: Splash Mountain, FOTLK, Tigger!, Chip & Dale!, and Timon!!

Location: Native Kentuckian in the Capital of the Old Dominion

6/88 Offsite - 10/93 Dixie Landings(Now Port Orleans Riverside) - 6/97 Port Orleans(before they tacked on 'French Quarter') - 5/99 AS Sports - 5/01 POFQ - 2/03 AS Sports - 6/03 AS Music - 5/04 AS Sports - 9/04 AS Sports - 5/05 AS Sports - 9/06 AS Sports - 10/07 POFQ - 03/08 POFQ - 08/08 POR - 11/08 POR - 02/09 POR - 05/09-06/09 Wilderness Lodge - 10/09 POFQ - 3/10 AKL - 5/10 AKL - 7/10 POR - 10/10 AKL - 3/11 AKL - 10/11 POP - Next Trip ????

My Splash Mountain tally: 302 times
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: