Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

Sans Friends - Golf at Orange County National and Rix Lounge at Coronado Springs

Saturday, 15th November

After yesterday’s impromptu decision that Matt should play golf today, the alarm is set for 6am, but I’m stirring at 4:45 and wide awake by 5am, so I decide to get up. I put on the coffee machine and spend a quiet hour watching the news and pottering until Matt surfaces. I manage to knock up 3 vases and 2 ashtrays. We’re out of the door at around 7:30. The forecast for today is hot and humid, but it’s grey and overcast as we leave.

The journey to Orange County National is very easy from WDW – out on Western Way (which exits property at Coronado Springs) to the 429 and then a very short (2.5 mile) hop north. Our first stop is the pro shop to check in and for Matt to buy a golf shirt. We’re informed we can get out at 8:27 if that suits us and, if we take that tee time, there will be no rider charge. As we’re there anyway (it’s now approaching 8am), the earlier the better as far as we're concerned.

There’s just enough time for Matt to hit a bucket of balls at the range before we head to the 10th tee of the Crooked Cat course where he’ll start. It takes him a mere 5 minutes to work out he needs to take them out of the bucket before hitting them.

We arrive at the tee to discover he’s been paired with a twosome. Kevin lives near the PGA Village at West Palm Beach where we stayed in 2007 and Deborah hails from Chicago. As the round progresses we learn that they met at the driving range of his local course in January this year. As he’s left-handed, he found himself facing her on the range and invited her to join his three ball. (I know these left hookers are quirky, but three balls…?) It turns out that she retired last year from her own advertising agency (which her daughter now runs) to pursue her love of golf. She travels alone, all over the US, trying out courses she’s heard of for one reason or another. She loves playing with strangers and is writing a book on the very matter. And also about golf. [Must investigate – we could well be infamous by now.]

The boys share one cart whilst I drive her in the other. I discover that she’s fast approaching 60 whilst he’s just turned 50. He has no idea that she’s 10 years his senior (she only knows because she happened across his driver's licence) and things are starting to get serious, so she’s keen to get things out in the open. She looks nowhere near her age and, never one to miss out on the potential for some drama, I encourage her to out herself. The age difference is less than between Matt and me and that seems to spur her on. That coupled with the fact that I don’t leave it alone for the next 4 hours.

She’s been playing for 6 years and, considering her passion for the game, isn’t really that much better than me. [Matt: “At least she holds the right end of the club”.] I kick myself for not having had the confidence to play. The prospect of being paired with strangers often prevents me from doing so lest I make a complete fool of myself. Kevin, it transpires, is really very good and shoots an 82.

They’re staying at the OCN for a 3 day weekend and invite us to join them for lunch at the clubhouse. It isn’t really my kind of place – way too functional and lacking any kind of finesse. The food is pretty poor, too. Despite its rave reviews, the course is also lacking in character and I take very few photos. I wouldn’t rush back there. The big reveal goes off without incident. Disappointingly, Kevin appears most non-plussed. Maybe he's had a previous encounter with her driver's licence.

Back at Saratoga Springs, we go over the plans for this evening. I’ve been hankering to visit Rix Lounge at Coronado Springs and, during yesterday’s discussions when suggesting Matt play golf today, I took the opportunity to re-introduce the idea. Now, though, he’s clearly not keen and is interested in little other than a walk across to Downtown Disney. I feel we’ve done this to death, but I appreciate his point that the Rix plan will equate either to $40 in taxi fares or to him having to drive. Unsurprisingly, neither appeals to him in any way, shape or form. As I’ve graciously dragged myself around a golf course for 4.5 hours for his benefit today, I figure I can push my agenda a bit and suggest we drive to Rix for one drink so that I can satisfy my curiosity and then return to SSR for the walk to DTD. He readily agrees. This compromising lark might even catch on!

Rix is very nice. A gorgeous, grown-up lounge, but totally incongruous at Coronado Springs. It’s particularly noticeable after you’ve been inside for a while and come out into the homogenised Disney environs. Interestingly, I don’t remember thinking the same thing at The Wave.

Matt has a Makers Mark on the rocks and I have a glass of La Crema Chardonnay. We chat to the locals sitting beside us at the bar. He talks about the economy/Obama/the financial crisis/himself. He constantly talks over his wife (although she’s no shrinking violet) and contradicts me whilst repeating precisely what I’ve been saying in the next sentence. A total bore. After around 20 minutes, even he tires of the sound of his own voice and asks about us.

Once back on our stools after having fallen off in surprise, we decide that food may be in order. It’s appetisers only on the menu here and our new friends recommend the Seafood Cappuccino. We order one to share along with the Citrus Infused Chicken Skewers on Garlic Toast. The cappuccino is delicious – a sweet and intense seafood bisque with a cream and cinnamon topping. The skewers are good, too and are accompanied by what is effectively a lemon/lime/orange marmalade, but less sweet.

We drive back to SSR and stop by the room to drop off the camera. As luck would have it, we’ve timed it just right for online check-in for tomorrow’s flight home. We find that our pre-selected seats of 79 A&C have been changed to 70 A&C. Not the end of the world, but annoying nonetheless. The exit seats are the only ones available for selection, so we snag those with absolutely no hope of actually getting them come tomorrow.

We walk across to Downtown Disney. It’s very busy tonight. We hit it just as the second showing of Cirque is taking in and there also seems to be something going on at House of Blues. We head for Raglan Road where we sit at the bar and partake of a snifter or two.

Shortly after 10pm we make our way back to the room with the intention of finishing up the beer and wine there, but our early start catches up with us and we’re both falling asleep almost as soon as we walk through the door. Bed wins. Damn you, bed and damn the tiredness!

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Kevin Stringer
Chat Host
Oddly concerned about an elephant living in his pyjamas
The TF would like to see Kevin’s rendition of 'Great balls of fire'

Blow me down with a feather. here's me thinking there's no way Deb is ever going to finish her report and we get a new installment!

Pleased to see the Mattster got a round of golf in. From your photos I agree Deb, it does look a rather featureless course.

Kev
Kevin Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
UKDEB

DISboards Moderator

Just one more to go, Kev and we'll have a full set! I'm so pleased I took the time to take notes for a trip report - being able to look back has kept me going through these dark times of no-trip-in-the-planning for the first time in years.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Thanks for keeping going Deb
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for posting another update Deb. Would you rush back to Rix ? it's not quite as much fun if one of you has to drive though. Shame your drinking partners were a bit of bore

Nice pics

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

The pics of Rix look nice. Not sure I would get away with taking the kids though - although watching a local trying to monopolise the conversation with 2 kids at the table would have been fun to watch.
Pegasus928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
UKDEB

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
Would you rush back to Rix?
Absolutely, Mand. It's gorgeous. And surprisingly, Kenny, they hold quite a few family events. Next time I get an email, I'll post details.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

great update Deb, im dissapointed that the reveal went so well though

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Brava, Debbie. I'm glad for all of us who are enjoying your report that you found the time to continue it.

Gosh, I haven't seen that bar since the last time Scott and I ate at the Maya Grill back in the days when MG still served that gorgeous, delicious Latin American food. I take that back, Lu Beth and I ate there a year later after I raved to her about the food, only to find the menu had been changed to basic steakhouse fare. Never thought that the chef might be continuing some of the good stuff in the bar. Any tapas? I'm putting Coronado Springs back on the list after your review and seeing the photos (a re-do since the last time I saw the place--9 years ago!)

Thanks for taking the time to relate the romance of the golf couple and your suffering through a long half hour with the bore in the bar. These are perfect examples of what you write that makes your report the kind I most enjoy--the stories of the people you encountered on your adventure. Well done--again.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Jets fan
DIS Veteran

Another great day Deb. Love the photos

Tina
Jets fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #11
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

Come on Debs- one more push and you'd have delivered a real beauty of a trip report. By the way can you spare us one of the vases; we seem to have a lack of them in this house. That lady really didn't look sixty.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

A great penultimate day Deb - what a surprise you managed to fit in a bar!!

I know how much you love visiting new ones so glad this one didn't disappoint - looks like a lovely place to spend a couple of hours

Tam
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
UKDEB

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanEllen View Post
Gosh, I haven't seen that bar since the last time Scott and I ate at the Maya Grill back in the days when MG still served that gorgeous, delicious Latin American food. I take that back, Lu Beth and I ate there a year later after I raved to her about the food, only to find the menu had been changed to basic steakhouse fare. Never thought that the chef might be continuing some of the good stuff in the bar. Any tapas? I'm putting Coronado Springs back on the list after your review and seeing the photos (a re-do since the last time I saw the place--9 years ago!)
So, it's always been a bar?

Old 02-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDEB View Post
So, it's always been a bar?
Well, I think so. How long has Coronado Springs been open? I remember when it was being built and think we went out for a look at the resort in its first year. Whether or not we ate at Maya Grill when we went for that first look I can't say for sure, but I have dined at MG 3 times, most recently way back in 2001. I believe we walked by the bar with the entry in the curved wall on our way to the restaurant on every occasion. However, I don't remember if the name has always been Rix. Sorry, I'm not a very reliable source when it comes to bar info.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

great compromise going for both Rix and Raglan Road.

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: