Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
NHSchool2012
DCP Alumni -- Earned my Ears!

Roommates

How many of you are nervous about rooming with someone you don't know? Are you planning on joining a group to meet people and meet someone there to room with, or are you going to wait until you check in to find out who you're rooming with?

I'm just afraid that I'll get paired with someone who parties all the time and stays up until 3 or 4 in the morning. The roommate that I have now in school is alright because other than when we're in the dorm room together, we don't see each other. I think I'd rather this kind of relationship over one where my roommate is crazy every night and doesn't respect my space or things. I'm going to try to get a room in Patterson with one roommate, just based on the idea that I have that I'm choosing to live with just one person because I don't want too many people around me, and hoping that he's choosing a one bedroom apartment for the same reasons. I think I'd be alright with 4 people total in the apartment too though, as long as they all respect each other and aren't too crazy at night..
NHSchool2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
MadiStan91
Earning My Ears

Hey NHSchool2012!

I was accepted to the Spring Advantage 2013 program, and I was worried about roommates like you were! I decided that I wanted to look for my own roomies for all the same reasons you stated.

Luckily, there's a Facebook Group for the Spring/Spring Advantage Participants! If you go to facebook and just type in "Disney College Program Spring/Spring Advantage 2013" in the groups search, you'll find it! That's where I met my roomies, and they seem like great girls. You can make your own roomie survey and see if anyone responds, or you can look through the surveys already posted on the group.

Or, if you'd rather, you can have Disney match you. I'm not sure how the site works, but I know that you won't have access to it until about 60 days before your program starts.

Hope that helps!
MadiStan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
NHSchool2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiStan91 View Post
Hey NHSchool2012!

I was accepted to the Spring Advantage 2013 program, and I was worried about roommates like you were! I decided that I wanted to look for my own roomies for all the same reasons you stated.

Luckily, there's a Facebook Group for the Spring/Spring Advantage Participants! If you go to facebook and just type in "Disney College Program Spring/Spring Advantage 2013" in the groups search, you'll find it! That's where I met my roomies, and they seem like great girls. You can make your own roomie survey and see if anyone responds, or you can look through the surveys already posted on the group.

Or, if you'd rather, you can have Disney match you. I'm not sure how the site works, but I know that you won't have access to it until about 60 days before your program starts.

Hope that helps!
Haha I actually just put my survey up on one of the groups! Hopefully I'll find someone on there that's kind of like me and we can room together!

I was thinking about doing the roommate match that Disney has, but if it's anything like my college had me do, they don't compare any of the topics at all.

I guess I'll just wait and see how it goes in the group and see if anyone responds, but if not I'll probably just wait until I get there to see who I'm rooming with!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
GoldenFlower
If the slipper fits... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSchool2012 View Post
How many of you are nervous about rooming with someone you don't know? Are you planning on joining a group to meet people and meet someone there to room with, or are you going to wait until you check in to find out who you're rooming with?

I'm just afraid that I'll get paired with someone who parties all the time and stays up until 3 or 4 in the morning. The roommate that I have now in school is alright because other than when we're in the dorm room together, we don't see each other. I think I'd rather this kind of relationship over one where my roommate is crazy every night and doesn't respect my space or things. I'm going to try to get a room in Patterson with one roommate, just based on the idea that I have that I'm choosing to live with just one person because I don't want too many people around me, and hoping that he's choosing a one bedroom apartment for the same reasons. I think I'd be alright with 4 people total in the apartment too though, as long as they all respect each other and aren't too crazy at night..
I totally feel you. I'm checking in January 15th and I just hope i don't get an inconsiderate room mate. I am night an night owl and I'm a light sleeper, plus i'm a very very neat person. I think I may be asking too much! lol I just don't want to bicker with my room mate or not like her.
GoldenFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
grlwonder
Mouseketeer

Since I live on campus in a dorm, I am used to living with people I don't know. It is sometimes nerve racking, and a bit taking a risk. I know that my first semester living on campus I did not like my roommates, they were the total opposite of me. But for the past year I have wonderful roommates, we all get along really well and we have never meet before.

It is not a bad idea talking with people online such as facebook groups or tumblr to name a few. That way you can talk to people before your dcp starts and get to see who you would like to live with. That is what I do when living on campus. My school sends you the names and school emails of your roommates, so I send them emails and find them on facebook as a way to get to know them.

DCP Spring Advantage 2013: accepted for Merchandise!

grlwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
NHSchool2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenFlower View Post
I totally feel you. I'm checking in January 15th and I just hope i don't get an inconsiderate room mate. I am night an night owl and I'm a light sleeper, plus i'm a very very neat person. I think I may be asking too much! lol I just don't want to bicker with my room mate or not like her.
Haha nah, not too much. That's what I'm afraid of, I don't want to end up having a bad roommate and letting that ruin the rest of the program for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlwonder View Post
Since I live on campus in a dorm, I am used to living with people I don't know. It is sometimes nerve racking, and a bit taking a risk. I know that my first semester living on campus I did not like my roommates, they were the total opposite of me. But for the past year I have wonderful roommates, we all get along really well and we have never meet before.

It is not a bad idea talking with people online such as facebook groups or tumblr to name a few. That way you can talk to people before your dcp starts and get to see who you would like to live with. That is what I do when living on campus. My school sends you the names and school emails of your roommates, so I send them emails and find them on facebook as a way to get to know them.
I live at school too, and I thought I was prepared to live with someone I didn't know. We're just different people I think, which isn't bad, but it makes it really awkward. I'm thinking of leaving the school I'm at once I get back and commuting to a school closer to me, because besides the roommate, I don't really like the school itself. So this is coming at a good time, it'll give me time to think about what I want without wasting time!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: