Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #106
Momofwishkid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanabbott View Post
Ok, we got up bright and early, got the other kids off to school, and finished packing for the hospital. Then got a phone call that Elijah (10) had fallen on the ice and the school nurse was worried he had a concussion. Went and got Elijah from school, who by now had two black eyes, a huge lump on his head and was having trouble seeing out of his left eye. So yes, Elijah has a concussion. After an hour and a half drs appt, James and I were ready to go...again...Oh but mother nature had her own thoughts. We awoke to a few inches of fresh snow, but up here what's a few inches? Well I live in a mountainous region, and the last two weeks the weather has been warming up, so new snow on top of warmed up snow= yes, you guessed it, AVALANCHE! No I am not kidding, we had an avalanche in the pass and now we are patiently waiting for the DOT to clear the road so we can actually begin the drive to Anchorage.
I'm not sure we will have internet access, but I'll keep you'll posted soon as I can!
What a morning you've had! Im so sorry Elijah has the concussion, was he able to come home? I know years ago my cousin fell and got a concusion and had to stay overnight just to be watched. Hope they clear the road soon so you can get on your way. Good luck with everything.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #107
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

Oh geez. An avalanche??? Perfect timing. I hope Elijah is feeling better.
yinyanggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #108
Wee Annie
Mouseketeer

An avalanche??? Geez, and I was panicked driving along in what you would probably call a piddly amount of snow this morning.... Sure puts things in perspective (I'm a big fan of perspective).

Hope Elijah is doing better.

Visited BC 4/15/12 - 4/22/12 and had a fabulous time!

Wonderful MAW trip to GKTW on 4/17/2010!!!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/elkebrown
Wee Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #109
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

Oh geez..when it rains it pours..or when it snows it... Couldn't resist..hope it at least made you grin! So sorry to hear about Elijah, I hope he's feeling better and that you guys are able to get out soon!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #110
foxyroxy40
Earning My Ears

Hi amber wanted to say I just found your PTR and wanted to tell you and james that my son was twelve are first trip to disney and he enjoyed eating at the castle with all the pretty princesses they give all the boys swords and stars and the girls get wands so they can make a wish and they do it all together the next year he was thirteen and we did that again he enjoyed all the attention that the princesses gave him he had really long hair then (to hide his hearing aids)and all the princesses knew he was a boy but the waitress didnt know and kept calling him a girl but the princesses made it up to him telling what a handsome prince he was any who I must be the meanest mom on the planet because my daughter was 7 and she walked and so did my great nephew who was 6 and they arent either one in shapeand we walked are butts offbut it was christmasand it was so busy well I just wanted to share
foxyroxy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #111
noahsketomom
DIS Veteran

Hi Amber,
Was thinking of you today as I knew you were heading off, but sounds like you hit some road blocks! (hardy, har, I know --- but REALLY no pun intended!!) I sure hope Elijah is okay, and you guys get on your way soon.

Thinking of you,
Old 02-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #112
kellyw8863
DIS Veteran

Subbing! I hope that you made it to Anchorage safely...

Maya (DD) - 9 Ali (DD - Wishkid) - 7

kellyw8863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #113
cantwaittoseemickey
DIS Veteran

Amber I am thinking of James tonight. I hope you all made it safely to Anchorage and that Elijah is doing well. I hope James surgery went well and he is doing good. Ty has a gtube in as well. I am wondering if James will have a long "peg" tube or the gtube button. I will be happy to pass along any tips that can help you and James adjust. Sending big hugs to you all!!
cantwaittoseemickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #114
snowwhitesmom
DIS Veteran
I'll let you guys in on a secret - I feel naked without my wires
the woed of the day is dookie?

Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you all!
snowwhitesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #115
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Home

Okay, we're home...pain from the g-tube was a little more than we anticipated, I'm really hoping two weeks is enough time for him to be healed. I just got in and read all the posts, I'll respond a little more personal later. Thanks everyone for the well wishes
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #116
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

So glad you're home and everything went well! Sorry about the pain though, tell James we're thinking about him please!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #117
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofwishkid View Post
Im so sorry Elijah has the concussion, was he able to come home? I know years ago my cousin fell and got a concusion and had to stay overnight just to be watched. They let him come home, told us to watch him and give him ibuprophen...the next morning he was MUCH better, and by today his some old goofy self
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyanggirls View Post
Oh geez. An avalanche??? Perfect timing. I hope Elijah is feeling better. Thanks! Elijah is much better now! But then my poor hubby was the one who got the job of nursing him, while I was with James, I think I got the short end?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Annie View Post
An avalanche??? Geez, and I was panicked driving along in what you would probably call a piddly amount of snow this morning.... Sure puts things in perspective (I'm a big fan of perspective).
I LOVE perspective! You know how when you're in the hospital with YOUR sick kid, then you look over at another child, with a different situtation and you go, "Oh that poor family!" And you knoe the mom is looking at you thinking the same thing! That's my usual reminder of perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipersmom View Post
Oh geez..when it rains it pours..or when it snows it... Couldn't resist..hope it at least made you grin! So sorry to hear about Elijah, I hope he's feeling better and that you guys are able to get out soon!!! Ok, you are funny, yes it made me laugh. And btw, it still is pouring... snow that is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyroxy40 View Post
Hi amber wanted to say I just found your PTR and wanted to tell you and james that my son was twelve are first trip to disney and he enjoyed eating at the castle with all the pretty princesses they give all the boys swords and stars and the girls get wands so they can make a wish and they do it all together
OOOOO James loves him some girl attention! maybe the castle isn't so off the list?
I must be the meanest mom on the planet because my daughter was 7 and she walked and so did my great nephew who was 6....
Mine do a fair amount of walking, and they're all pretty sporty, but I know my 5 year old and she'll be hitching a ride in her brothers wheel chair is she walks more than a mile!
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsketomom View Post
Hi Amber,
Was thinking of you today as I knew you were heading off, but sounds like you hit some road blocks! (hardy, har, I know --- but REALLY no pun intended!!) I sure hope Elijah is okay, and you guys get on your way soon.
I'm starting to think you all are very funny people! By the time I got to the road block it was all clear, I was going to take some pictures for you guys but I'm glad it was, b/c we sailed through the pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyw8863 View Post
Subbing! I hope that you made it to Anchorage safely...Made it there, and back, though back was actually a little worse, no avalanche this time, but white out conditions along the arm (big inlet of water, no guard rails, gotta love Alaska) but after about 60 miles the road opened up, and though we still had to take it slow, I wasn't white knuckling it anymore

TO YOU ALL: Thank you with all my heart for caring about my klutzy Elijah, and my sweetheart James. This is a very very cool group of people, and it makes me almost (almost) wish our trip was still a few months out so I had more time to get to know you all
Old 03-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #118
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

Haven't you figured out yet that the woman always gets the short end? Made it so much easier to leave the ex when I was doing everything anyw..ermm..nevermind...LOL. Woohoo..you're at two weeks exactly..how cool is that??
Old 03-01-2010, 12:53 AM   #119
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaittoseemickey View Post
Amber I am thinking of James tonight. I hope you all made it safely to Anchorage and that Elijah is doing well. I hope James surgery went well and he is doing good. Ty has a gtube in as well. I am wondering if James will have a long "peg" tube or the gtube button. I will be happy to pass along any tips that can help you and James adjust. Sending big hugs to you all!!
Well James has a long tube, and DR said in about 2-3 months we will go back and have the Mic Key put in. How long was Ty in pretty bad pain after his tube was put in? James is still on narcotics every four hours. Do you think he'll be well enough for the trip in two weeks?
I may have questions for you, I'm pretty lost here.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #120
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipersmom View Post
Haven't you figured out yet that the woman always gets the short end? Made it so much easier to leave the ex when I was doing everything anyw..ermm..nevermind...LOL. Woohoo..you're at two weeks exactly..how cool is that??
Yeah pretty cool, 2 weeks...but it feels like forever still! I know DH and I had to learn all new coping skills when James got sick, and there are times I want to bash him upside the head. I'm sure he feels the same way. While James and I were at the hospital a mom got flowers from her hubby, while she was there with thier son. I got pissy with my DH b/c he should have thought of that!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: