Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Toronto_Mouse
Earning My Ears

Disney Steamboat Willie (Mickey Mouse) and Donald Duck Collectible Coins?

Long time reader, first time poster! Couldn't find anything on this here so I thought I'd make a new post.

I've always liked buying Mickey Mouse themed collectibles, and recently got a Mickey and Mini magnetic kissing figures from Disney World!

Was just browsing around and found a couple of other neat collectibles that I thought I'd share and get some opinions on before buying

Found these:

Steamboat Willie (AKA. Mickey Mouse) Silver Coin:
http://www.wsdcoins.com/estore/nz-mi...ie-silver-coin

Donald Duck 80th Anniversary Silver Coin:
http://www.wsdcoins.com/estore/nz-mi...ry-donald-duck

I'm thinking of grabbing each of those to get a nice vintage set. Looks like there are also Gold versions, but those are definitely out of my league!

Thoughts? Anyone seen these at any of the Disney parks?

Last edited by Toronto_Mouse; 07-12-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Toronto_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
miste2blue
Earning My Ears

I've been looking into those as well....the only thing that is a little concerning is that 10,000 edition notation....I would think that these would be a bit more valuable with a smaller edition....but then again, they are pretty darn cool looking with the wooden box display.....

If I lived in Canada, I'd definitely be picking those up........I live near Anaheim & have not seen those specifc coins in the parks....and I would venture to guess that they won't likely show up....Disney has been creating these coin sets that are not truly minted (though they are limited)....I miss the days of the Rarities Mint....

What are you thinking in terms of pro's & con's on starting that collection? At over $100 (US) a coin, that's a pretty pricey collection to start....

Nice post!
miste2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Toronto_Mouse
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by miste2blue View Post
I've been looking into those as well....the only thing that is a little concerning is that 10,000 edition notation....I would think that these would be a bit more valuable with a smaller edition....but then again, they are pretty darn cool looking with the wooden box display.....

If I lived in Canada, I'd definitely be picking those up........I live near Anaheim & have not seen those specifc coins in the parks....and I would venture to guess that they won't likely show up....Disney has been creating these coin sets that are not truly minted (though they are limited)....I miss the days of the Rarities Mint....

What are you thinking in terms of pro's & con's on starting that collection? At over $100 (US) a coin, that's a pretty pricey collection to start....

Nice post!
Hmm, can you explain what you mean when you say they're not truly minted? It looks like the Mint that makes these is the New Zealand Mint who had an exclusive licensed deal with Disney for these. I was looking around on google and ebay and found there was a steamboat willie coin in the past but it was more of a cheap plastic token rather than an actual coin, so from what I understand it's a first?

In terms of the mintage, 10,000 seems to be what every mint is using these days, so I wasn't too fearful of that. The Gold coins only have a 1,000 mintage I believe, but those are out of my budget for sure. The website I mentioned in the original post is selling the 1/4 oz donald duck coin for $899

In terms of pros and cons, as well as price point....
Price point: Based on my limited past purchases, I thought these were actually relatively cheap for a pure silver coin, the cheaper ones seem to be made of non-precious metals. Last year, the Royal Canadian Mint released superman coins (7 in total) with the 1oz silver ones priced at as much as $129.95 and these soared to over $200 at one point before settling at about the $160-170 range. (Speaking in terms of CAD).

The website I mentioned above has these priced at $109.99 for the Steamboat Willie and $101.99 for the Donald Duck coins in CAD. I believe the exchange rate is something like $0.93 USD = $1 CAD, so $102.29 USD and $94.85 USD or $197.14 USD for the set

Pros:
- The coins are a classic, represents where the whole "Walt Disney" brand started with the 2 most recognized and classic characters in the Disney Universe...to me I figured I'm buying into a piece of history
- They come with a nice wooden box, so easy to display
- I'm a Mickey Mouse collector so just seems like a must have
- Only 2 coins in the entire series, so limited investment with no future expense
- Potential of a rise in price? The $109.99 CAD/$102USD already seems under market value if you look at the ebay sold listings

Cons:
- I haven't seen it in person
- Average mintage
- Pricey if I want to end up buying the gold coins to have a complete set (unlikely for me)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Toronto_Mouse
Earning My Ears

Just wanted to give an update. I picked up both the Donald Duck and Steamboat Willie coins! They look amazing and I'm glad I got them. Got them from the WSD Coins store I ordered from and they arrived in 2 days

I'll post pics later tonight

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: