Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #61
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Lounge looks pretty nice. How crowded was it in there? Looks rather empty. How was the food? Awesome view!

Grand Californian Super Thread
Anything you need to know about the GCH can be found here...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2396588

DmaxHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #62
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Well, this is how I feel about it.
People tout the Grand as being SO close. The closest!
I think most of the time when people are "touting" that GC is so close, they are comparing it to other WDW hotels or DVC. At WDW, you have to either take a bus, monorail or walk farther to a park than VGC or GCH is to the inside DCA entrance.

I will say that if you aren't paying attention to where you are going, you could easily add a lot more footsteps to your trip.

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #63
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiq View Post
I think most of the time when people are "touting" that GC is so close, they are comparing it to other WDW hotels or DVC. I'm going to disagree with this. There are a lot more local people that go to DLR than WDW. Even the CMs, if you look at the name tags, there are a lot more local CMs at DLR than at WDW. This being said I think that in this comparison, Molly is comparing the other DLR and Good Neighbor Hotels to the GC. Now going back to the long hall ways, I think the point of her post was to point out how ironic it is that the GC the "closest" of all the hotels has such long hallways that they are nearly equal to the walk from the park to other hotels. BUT! I could be way off base here and not know what I'm talking about. At WDW, you have to either take a bus, monorail or walk farther to a park than VGC or GCH is to the inside DCA entrance.

I will say that if you aren't paying attention to where you are going, you could easily add a lot more footsteps to your trip.
See red text above^

I don't mean to drill your post kikiq, I just get into it sometimes.

Anything you need to know about the GCH can be found here...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2396588

Old 02-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #64
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxHawk View Post
See red text above^

I don't mean to drill your post kikiq, I just get into it sometimes.
Hey, don't worry. I knew I shouldn't have put any WDW references, it just throws folks off. I did realize bumbershoot was talking about DLR and Good Neighbor hotels. I'll put myself in the camp of yes there's a long walk but you are onsite and indoors.

We only live 20 minutes away and love the GCH/VGC. It might be my bad, as I read Dis DVC and Disneyland and may have gotten my folks mixed up. We use to stay at the Marriott when they had the weekend deals. But ever since our first stay at the GCH, we haven't been back even to the Disneyland Hotel.

Thanks for this thread.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #65
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiq View Post
Hey, don't worry. I knew I shouldn't have put any WDW references, it just throws folks off. I did realize bumbershoot was talking about DLR and Good Neighbor hotels. I'll put myself in the camp of yes there's a long walk but you are onsite and indoors.

We only live 20 minutes away and love the GCH/VGC. It might be my bad, as I read Dis DVC and Disneyland and may have gotten my folks mixed up. We use to stay at the Marriott when they had the weekend deals. But ever since our first stay at the GCH, we haven't been back even to the Disneyland Hotel.

Thanks for this thread.
I'll agree with you there. How was your stay at VGC?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #66
CrazyDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
People tout the Grand as being SO close. The closest! But then it's difficult to get into.
I admit there is a bit of a misnomer in calling GCH the closest hotel. The GCH is only the closest hotel if you are talking about the DLR resort in general. If you are talking about round trips to Disneyland then BWPPI or Park View inn is closer. The closest room from BWPPI to the closest turnstile is about 1100 feet. The closest GCH room (both ways) would be x000 or x024 and would be about 1300 feet. Now let's look at California Adventure; BWPPI to DCA turnstiles the closest room is 1300 feet. From GCH the closest room is only 200ft. The same goes for Downtown Disney. We'll measure to the UVA Bar Since thats pretty much in the center. 2500 feet to BWPPI and only 300 feet to GCH... Here my table:

Code:
		DL	DCA	DD-UVA
BWPPI		1100	1300	2500
GCH - Closest	1300¹	200	300	
GCH - Average	1600	600	700	
GCH - Furthest	1900	1000²	800	
HOJO		2400	2500	3700

¹ 600 feet If you are just going to the park, but it will be a long way back
² 800 feet if you cut through the pool near White Water Snacks
*All Distances +-50 Feet... I round up or down!

Last edited by CrazyDuck; 02-22-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Forgot about the taxi shortcut for Hojo
CrazyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #67
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDuck View Post
I admit there is a bit of a misnomer in calling GCH the closest hotel. The GCH is only the closest hotel if you are talking about the DLR resort in general. If you are talking about round trips to Disneyland then BWPPI or Park View inn is closer. The closest room from BWPPI to the closest turnstile is about 1100 feet. The closest GCH room would be x000 or x024 would be about 1300 feet. Now let's look at California Adventure; BWPPI to DCA turnstiles the closest room is 1300 feet. From GCH the closest room is only 200ft. The same goes for Downtown Disney. We'll measure to the UVA Bar Since thats pretty much in the center. 2500 feet to BWPPI and only 300 feet to GCH... Here my table:

Code:
		DL	DCA	DD-UVA
BWPPI		1100	1300	2500
GCH - Closest	1300¹	200	300	
GCH - Average	1600	600	700	
GCH - Furthest	1900	1000²	800	
HOJO		2500	2600	3800

¹ 600 feet If you are just going to the park, but it will be a long way back
² 800 feet if you cut through the pool near White Water Snacks
*All Distances +-50 Feet... I round up or down!
Duck, you continue to amaze me. Great info there! Do you mind if I put this table up?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #68
CrazyDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Duck, you continue to amaze me. Great info there! Do you mind if I put this table up?
Hey it's your thread... You can do whatever you want with it!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #69
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Does anyone know if the luggage dudes will move us to PP or DLH if we decided to split stays trip after next?

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #70
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDuck View Post
Hey it's your thread... You can do whatever you want with it!
Thanks

Last edited by DmaxHawk; 02-22-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #71
CrazyDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
Does anyone know if the luggage dudes will move us to PP or DLH if we decided to split stays trip after next?

Jack
I read years ago that they don't transfer bags between hotels. I don't know if things changed since. I'll try and dig up the thread about it...

Edit... I found some newer threads that say they do so... Yay! :http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1785919

Last edited by CrazyDuck; 02-22-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: I was wrong!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 AM   #72
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'll agree with you there. How was your stay at VGC?
Our first VGC stay was for our January birthdays. We stayed at the GCH the last 2 years. Loved the studio, it was nice to have more room. Just wish it wasn't so many points.

Studios have couch and bed

only one sink

nice kitchenette

We had both DDs, DGD, brother and sil visit us, and didn't feel crowded.

Year before last we had a GCH room overlooking DTD, stayed for the half marathon. Both DDs were with us. In the regular hotel rooms, it's cozy for 4 adults.

Last year's birthday GCH room

Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #73
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Great lookin rooms! Does look like it has more room

Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #74
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

The Concierge Lounge was really not crowded..people would come and go and it was well used, but never felt crowded. There is also a nice little balcony eating area outside that we used a couple mornings. Very nice experience.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #75
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
The Concierge Lounge was really not crowded..people would come and go and it was well used, but never felt crowded. There is also a nice little balcony eating area outside that we used a couple mornings. Very nice experience.
I'll have to check that out. Sounds really nice

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: