Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #3166
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinspirit View Post
I just seen a pic on the internet...the monorail goes THROUGH the hotel?
...do you need a park pass entrance to ride the monorail...is this something we can do on our first half day with DTD and NOT use a park pass?
The monorail passes through the GCH, but does not stop.
A Disneyland park ticket is needed to ride.
Quote:
...but HOW would I upload a picture to here, from ipad or iphone for instance?
Actually a good question. Pictures cannot be uploaded directly to a post, they must be hosted elsewhere. Pictures can be uploaded to the photo galleries on DIS, then linked to a post -- it is easier to upload to an dedicated photo sharing site. It would be much better if DIS supported direct upload, since older threads often have dead links.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #3167
twinspirit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxHawk View Post

Yes the monorail goes through the Grand Californian Hotel but it does not stop there.

Yes you do need a park entrance to ride the monorail as one of the stops is in Tomorrowland which is inside the park.
Aww, what a shame it doesn't actually stop at the Grand :S But we will def find a few moments to ride it during one of our park days
twinspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #3168
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Aww, what a shame it doesn't actually stop at the Grand :S But we will def find a few moments to ride it during one of our park days
Here is a video of the monorail ride from the Tomorrowland station to the Downtown Disney station I took a couple of years ago.

http://youtu.be/4GIWxltK22A

Grand Californian Super Thread
Anything you need to know about the GCH can be found here...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2396588

DmaxHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #3169
twinspirit
Mouseketeer

Very cool! ahhhrg still so far away and surreal lol 37 days..... :D
Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #3170
lucysmom
DIS Veteran

DMAXHAWK--Thank you very much for your post. Your pictures are just what we wanted to see!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #3171
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

Napa Rose Lounge

Does anyone know if we need to make a reservation if we would like to eat in the Napa Rose Lounge? We're thinking of stopping in for dinner/apps and/or dessert one evening, and we just weren't sure what to expect in terms of crowds, if reservations are accepted or needed, and if the lounge is as popular as the restaurant. We've never been to either Napa Rose or the lounge. Any answers appreciated!
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #3172
kailuagirl
DIS Veteran

A couple weeks ago someone posted about a "secret" balcony on one of the upper floors. I can't find it, can you please say where it is again.

Also, can you see. The DL fireworks from there or anywhere else t GCH?

Thanks!
kailuagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #3173
boscoj
Mouseketeer

The balcony is in the DVC wing on the 6th floor...it was designed so that u could view the WOC from there. Unfortunately its not the best angle to see the show. As for the fireworks, I know the rooms facing DTD have a pretty decent view....
boscoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #3174
whoever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailuagirl View Post
A couple weeks ago someone posted about a "secret" balcony on one of the upper floors. I can't find it, can you please say where it is again.

Also, can you see. The DL fireworks from there or anywhere else t GCH?

Thanks!
You can see some pics from the balcony on our 2011 trip here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3102762

It was right down the hall from our room and up one floor.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #3175
Lexxiefern
We were blown away
It will be nice to compare the 3

Does anyone know if the store in the GCH sells cookie dough? Odd question I know, but we will be in a 1 bed with an oven a couple nights and I love hot cookies!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #3176
atmail35
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiefern View Post
Does anyone know if the store in the GCH sells cookie dough? Odd question I know, but we will be in a 1 bed with an oven a couple nights and I love hot cookies!
HOnestly, I did not check when there but the gift shop doesn't have a ton of things, IMO.

Are you flying in? I would freeze a tube of cookie dough and just bring it with me It should stay frozen for a while.
atmail35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #3177
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

Just checked into the GC yesterday (room 3109- standard view) and was pleased to find that the fridge had been replaced. As other previous posts have mentioned, it's not very cold but I pulled it out to get to the temp control. Turned it cooler and now we're in business! Also, took a walk this morning around the hotel and found the Paradise View Terrace on the 6th floor. We may try to catch a bit of World of Color from there although I've read it's not the best view. I'd still rather do that though than be in the middle of the crowd. To get there, head to the Grizzly Arcade, go into that building and go up to the 6th floor. Follow signs for Paradise View Terrace. Ate at Storyteller's Cafe this morning- pricey but fabulous! Had 7:00 am reservations (we're still on East coast time so that was easy- place was almost empty) and saw Chip, Dale, Meeko (raccoon from Pocahontas), Brother Bear and Little Bear (is that his name?) Picked up a few groceries from the nearby Target so we're set for breakfast (protein bars and PopTarts) and snacks for the rest of the week. Heading to Napa Rose for dinner and parks tomorrow.
eemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #3178
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiefern View Post
I just checked the VGC grocery list and no..... sorry! Although if you really want fresh baked cookies you could order some groceries from Vons or if you have a car hit up a local grocery store nearby! Enjoy the villas!!
hjgaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #3179
dadofnicholas
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to return to GCH in late September! We stayed there last year and it was great. It's hard to compare it to our stay at PP (both standard rooms) because we enjoyed them both for different reasons. Both hotels are very nice IMO. PP room was more colourful and larger. GC is great in terms of proximity - every bit counts when you have little ones. I hear great things about Disneyland Hotel so want to try that one eventually. For now, we are super-excited to return to GCH!
#1 trip: May 20-25, 2012 Disneyland - Grand Californian
#2 trip: October 13-18, 2012 Disneyland - Paradise Pier
#3 trip: September 29-October 4, 2013 Disneyland - Grand Californian (Halloween Party on October 1)
#4 trip (solo): January 16-19, 2014 Clarion Hotel (Tinkerbell Half Marathon - ran 5K, 10K, & Half-Marathon) - didn't visit parks
#5 trip: May 6-10, 2014 - Disneyland Hotel
#6 trip: Signed up for Dumbo Double Dare at Disneyland Half Marathon 2014!
#7 trip: Signed up for 5K & Half Marathon at Avengers Super Heroes 2014!
#8 trip: Signed up for Rebel Challenge at Star Wars Half Marathon 2015!

Thanks to everyone for their help, suggestions, and input! I know you've answered many similar questions in the past (and I swear I do search for similar posts) so it's greatly appreciated!
dadofnicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #3180
twinspirit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadofnicholas View Post
Can't wait to return to GCH in late September! We stayed there last year and it was great. It's hard to compare it to our stay at PP (both standard rooms) because we enjoyed them both for different reasons. Both hotels are very nice IMO. PP room was more colourful and larger. GC is great in terms of proximity - every bit counts when you have little ones. I hear great things about Disneyland Hotel so want to try that one eventually. For now, we are super-excited to return to GCH!
:thumbsup: We are headed there for first stay in month as well!! Cant wait to be there! :D

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: