Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #3136
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Posted in the DIS news today:
Defect found in Disney's guest room refrigerators

This could be the result of the small fire reported in a thread last month (post #6).
Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #3137
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel67 View Post
...I will definitely get there early early!
We often check in at 6:30AM and there is seldom a wait. Sunday is the busiest day, generally half the rooms "turn over". A Thursday in September should be relatively quiet.

Arriving early also avoids LA traffic. We live in Northern California, but usually visit relatives in Sherman Oaks the night before checking in. From there, we must be on the road by 6:00AM to avoid traffic.

Note about self parking: Leave your car in front of the hotel while checking in, then move it to the self park lot across the street. Your room key is needed to access the dedicated Grand Californian lot. Your $15 parking fee covers both the check in and check out days
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #3138
Mabel67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
We often check in at 6:30AM and there is seldom a wait. Sunday is the busiest day, generally half the rooms "turn over". A Thursday in September should be relatively quiet.

Arriving early also avoids LA traffic. We live in Northern California, but usually visit relatives in Sherman Oaks the night before checking in. From there, we must be on the road by 6:00AM to avoid traffic.

Note about self parking: Leave your car in front of the hotel while checking in, then move it to the self park lot across the street. Your room key is needed to access the dedicated Grand Californian lot. Your $15 parking fee covers both the check in and check out days
Thank you so much for the info, especially about the parking!
Mabel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #3139
TuffyCatt
Earning My Ears

In regards to the news about the refrigerators:

The news post I read about this said that DVC rooms would not be affected - however, wondering if anyone knows if this includes Studio DVC rooms, since I know they have a smaller fridge (not full size). Just wondering how the fridge in the DVC studios compares to the ones in the non-DVC standard rooms. We'll be checking into a DVC studio at the Grand Californian in a little over a week.

Thanks for any input!
TuffyCatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #3140
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

We will be staying at the GC in August while my husband attends a conference at the Anaheim Convention Center. We will have a rental car but would rather not pay the convention center parking fee each day ($12-15) since we will already be paying the $15 GC parking fee. Google maps says its only a half mile to walk from GC to the convention center but is that practical? In other words, are there sidewalks? I've tried zooming in on the satellite view and it seems as if there are sidewalks but it is difficult to tell for sure. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
eemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #3141
disneyfm4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemaxx View Post
We will be staying at the GC in August while my husband attends a conference at the Anaheim Convention Center. We will have a rental car but would rather not pay the convention center parking fee each day ($12-15) since we will already be paying the $15 GC parking fee. Google maps says its only a half mile to walk from GC to the convention center but is that practical? In other words, are there sidewalks? I've tried zooming in on the satellite view and it seems as if there are sidewalks but it is difficult to tell for sure. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Yes! Had to make the walk myself just last week! Its not a short walk, but definitely doable. If one day you don't feel like walking, you could also just grab a cab. They are all over the place at the DLR and convention center right now. Cost $10 one way, but I was in a hurry to get back to the hotel and didn't feel like walking!
disneyfm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #3142
XMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffyCatt View Post
In regards to the news about the refrigerators:

The news post I read about this said that DVC rooms would not be affected - however, wondering if anyone knows if this includes Studio DVC rooms, since I know they have a smaller fridge (not full size). Just wondering how the fridge in the DVC studios compares to the ones in the non-DVC standard rooms. We'll be checking into a DVC studio at the Grand Californian in a little over a week.

Thanks for any input!
It seems to say that no DVC rooms will be affected because the fridges are bigger. I think they are a bit taller and have a freezer where the hotel room fridges do not have the freezer portion and are a bit shorter.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #3143
bcla
DIS Veteran

The one thing that bugged me when we took the tram from the Mickey and Friends garage was that I kept on hearing the message that the Grand Californian was inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement. I guess they do use wood-like shingles on the vertical exteriors and the logo is sort of craftsman style (reminds me of the Chez Panisse logo), but it seems far more like "National Park Service rustic" than arts and crafts - especially with the copious use of stone.

It reminds me a lot of grand lodging like the Ahwahnee Hotel, Timberline Lodge (similar style even if not necessarily in a national park), and Crater Lake Lodge. Being in the lobby reminded me a lot of being at the Ahwahnee as well as Old Faithful Inn.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #3144
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
The one thing that bugged me when we took the tram from the Mickey and Friends garage was that I kept on hearing the message that the Grand Californian was inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement. I guess they do use wood-like shingles on the vertical exteriors and the logo is sort of craftsman style (reminds me of the Chez Panisse logo), but it seems far more like "National Park Service rustic" than arts and crafts - especially with the copious use of stone.

It reminds me a lot of grand lodging like the Ahwahnee Hotel, Timberline Lodge (similar style even if not necessarily in a national park), and Crater Lake Lodge. Being in the lobby reminded me a lot of being at the Ahwahnee as well as Old Faithful Inn.
While the Grand does share some elements of the National Park esthetic, it's main emphasis and its construction was definitely centered in the Arts and Crafts idea. Many modern Arts and Crafts artisans were involved in the project and much of the architectural detail is in the style of A and C. There are many attributes of the hotel that echo famous A and C architects and artists. One i remember off hand is the rose motif in Napa Rose that was modeled from a famous A and C artist. The reception hall is actually styled off a famous church in SF and the lobby is supposed to be a living room on a larger scale. Sometime you should take the tour offered by the hotel, they do a much better job of describing it.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #3145
Mabel67
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know the pool hours for a Wednesday and Thursday night midSeptember?

Also is there bar service by the pool during pool hours? Thanks!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #3146
XMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel67 View Post
Does anyone know the pool hours for a Wednesday and Thursday night midSeptember?

Also is there bar service by the pool during pool hours? Thanks!
I believe the posted hours are 10am to 10pm but I have seen people in the pool earlier than 10am. Also, depending on weather and such it may close anytime between 9-10pm.

Whitewater snacks is next to the pool for a quick snack but there is bar service with a menu from the pool area. They walk around during more peak times of day and will bring you your drink of choice.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #3147
Mabel67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMom View Post
I believe the posted hours are 10am to 10pm but I have seen people in the pool earlier than 10am. Also, depending on weather and such it may close anytime between 9-10pm.

Whitewater snacks is next to the pool for a quick snack but there is bar service with a menu from the pool area. They walk around during more peak times of day and will bring you your drink of choice.

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much! This helps my planning a lot!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #3148
jodi90
Mouseketeer

Rooms sleep 5?

Hello,

I just booked a stay at the Grand Californian for October. We have five in our party. Do the standard rooms have a sleeper sofa or a daybed? Do they have roll-a-way beds?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jodi
jodi90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #3149
whoever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi90 View Post
Hello,

I just booked a stay at the Grand Californian for October. We have five in our party. Do the standard rooms have a sleeper sofa or a daybed? Do they have roll-a-way beds?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jodi
Your best bet is a bunk room. Sleeps 5-6. 2 in the queen, one on each upper/lower bunk, 1 on the trundle, and 1 in a pack and play (infant).
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #3150
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi90 View Post
The most common configuration is 2 queen beds. The 5th guest receives a sleeping bag, there are no roll-a-way beds.

There are rooms with 2 queens and a daybed, but there are only 39. These are all standard view rooms located at the front of the hotel. Daybed rooms can be requested, but like all bed configurations there are no guarantees. Search this thread for "daybed" for more information.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: