Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #2881
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Checking in on Monday! We are staying club level--- from this thread I get that we go up to the 6th floor to check in? Don't stand in normal line, right?

We are arriving on the DLRExpress and will have a gaggle of very excited children! And mommies!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #2882
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi3804 View Post
Are there any photos of the views from the east-facing DVC units? I had a south-facing (Paradise Pier) view last fall and it was wonderful. How does the east view compare? I have a 2BR reserved for September and would like to put in a request.

Are all the 2BRs dedicated, or are some lock-offs? There's no distinction on the DVC reservations site.
Check out the thread on the DVC boards with views from various room types. They have to make a distinction because there are a limited number of lock offs and dedicated. The studios are in high demand, so the lock offs go more quickly than the dedicated.

We are here now in a hotel room (on holding points) thoroughly enjoying the CL!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #2883
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Calling on the Grand experts for advice. If you had to pick between a premium view and concierge level, which would you select, and why?

I really, really want a view, but my husband is still arguing that concierge is a better "value" (though both are over-priced, obviously) because of the free breakfast and place other than our room to hang out. He also says we can watch fireworks, etc. from the lounge.

I have never paid for a view at Disneyworld--and never got one either--and always kind of regretted it, so I feel like I really want it, but we can't afford both.

We are staying for a week in early October, if that matters. (Party of three: husband, 5-year-old and me.)

Advice?
coopersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #2884
DLovinFam
Mouseketeer

Just booked for 4 nights in February (23rd-27th) Theme park view. Our second stay at the Grand Californian, but my husband's first. So excited!

DLovinFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #2885
gmi3804
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Check out the thread on the DVC boards with views from various room types. They have to make a distinction because there are a limited number of lock offs and dedicated. The studios are in high demand, so the lock offs go more quickly than the dedicated.

We are here now in a hotel room (on holding points) thoroughly enjoying the CL!
Thanks, Alison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
Calling on the Grand experts for advice. If you had to pick between a premium view and concierge level, which would you select, and why?

I really, really want a view, but my husband is still arguing that concierge is a better "value" (though both are over-priced, obviously) because of the free breakfast and place other than our room to hang out. He also says we can watch fireworks, etc. from the lounge.

I have never paid for a view at Disneyworld--and never got one either--and always kind of regretted it, so I feel like I really want it, but we can't afford both.

We are staying for a week in early October, if that matters. (Party of three: husband, 5-year-old and me.)

Advice?
I don't think GCH's premium views are all that great. I certainly wouldn't want a DTD because of the incessant noise and music. The only place in the entire property which has interesting views are the Paradise Pier-facing units of the villas. Now those are WAY COOL. Otherwise, you're paying a lot extra to look at trees, or a pool, or a busy shopping center. More important to me is location to elevators, lobby, and convenience to the hotel exit to DTD. Who wants to walk through that maze after a long day walking at the parks?

Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #2886
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, Alison!

I don't think GCH's premium views are all that great. I certainly wouldn't want a DTD because of the incessant noise and music. The only place in the entire property which has interesting views are the Paradise Pier-facing units of the villas. Now those are WAY COOL. Otherwise, you're paying a lot extra to look at trees, or a pool, or a busy shopping center. More important to me is location to elevators, lobby, and convenience to the hotel exit to DTD. Who wants to walk through that maze after a long day walking at the parks?
Thanks. Any other opinions? I have this romantic notion of fireworks from our balcony and a glass of wine at end of day. Very happy family, postcard-like, I know. Am I just kidding myself?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #2887
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
...We are staying club level--- from this thread I get that we go up to the 6th floor to check in?
A concierge CM will usually greet guests at their car, but since you are arriving by bus this might not happen. Go directly to the 6th floor to check in.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #2888
gmi3804
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. Any other opinions? I have this romantic notion of fireworks from our balcony and a glass of wine at end of day. Very happy family, postcard-like, I know. Am I just kidding myself?
That's a nice romanticized notion, but I'd think you'll only be able to see the tops of any fireworks from even the best rooms. Still a high price to pay for a "maybe."

Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #2889
sechelt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
A new hotel wing was built the same time as the DVC villas, overlooking Paradise Pier. This view is pretty close to what the villas get and probably what you're wanting.

If CL is The Craftsman's Club then it's on the sixth floor in the center of the hotel. Not sure what kind of view it would have for fireworks.

Personally, I'd go for the PP view in the new wing. Sounds like something you've always wanted to do and I tend to agree that any fireworks views would be limited.

Perhaps try calling the front desk to get details on views and have a specific request attached to your reservation.
sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #2890
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmb80129 View Post
Do families of 5 always end up in a room with enough beds for everyone? I feel a little foolish asking the question but I thought I read that people ended up on the floor with sleeping bags. I couldn't tell if it was a joke or if people just choose the sleeping bags because they didn't like the bedding arrangement that they had. Thanks!
The lack of regular rooms for 5 is why we are choosing to stay elsewhere. It sounds like the only non-DVC rooms for 5 with older children are standard view rooms. Otherwise it's bunk beds and a trundle or worse yet, 2 queens and a sleeping bag!!

Our kids are too big for the bunk beds/trundle. Further, I simply cannot fathom being offered a sleeping bag as a choice when paying these prices so we will just stay elsewhere. I guess that's good for my wallet given that the GCH is the most expensive on-site choice.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #2891
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't think GCH's premium views are all that great. I certainly wouldn't want a DTD because of the incessant noise and music. The only place in the entire property which has interesting views are the Paradise Pier-facing units of the villas. Now those are WAY COOL.
The Paradise Pier views from the villas are great, but other theme park views are also very nice. The new view types increase costs to the guest, but also increase the chances of actually getting the requested view.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #2892
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechelt View Post
A new hotel wing was built the same time as the DVC villas, overlooking Paradise Pier. This view is pretty close to what the villas get and probably what you're wanting.

If CL is The Craftsman's Club then it's on the sixth floor in the center of the hotel. Not sure what kind of view it would have for fireworks.

Personally, I'd go for the PP view in the new wing. Sounds like something you've always wanted to do and I tend to agree that any fireworks views would be limited.

Perhaps try calling the front desk to get details on views and have a specific request attached to your reservation.
Thank you. Since I've never actually even BEEN to the Grand ... What would that request be?

Our view category was "premium" ... Whatever that means. It was the step above, "resort/pool view."
Old 07-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #2893
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...If you had to pick between a premium view and concierge level, which would you select, and why?
I would pick concierge. It adds an extra level of luxury to the entire visit.
Quote:
...He also says we can watch fireworks, etc. from the lounge.
...We are staying for a week in early October, if that matters. (Party of three: husband, 5-year-old and me.)
The schedules are not available, but generally fireworks are only Friday-Sunday. Tuesday and Friday are Halloween parties with special fireworks.
If you are visiting before October 12, check out Gay Days Anaheim for great room rates (which they are happy to share with everyone)
Old 07-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #2894
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
I would pick concierge. It adds an extra level of luxury to the entire visit.
Well, now you have me questioning ... again. The decision that will never be made.

Anyone have anything positive to say about theme park views at the Grand?

By the way, I was told, and I know they sometimes don't always know the right answers, but that "premium" view indicated views of Disney California Adventure, not Downtown Disney.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #2895
sechelt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you. Since I've never actually even BEEN to the Grand ... What would that request be?

Our view category was "premium" ... Whatever that means. It was the step above, "resort/pool view."
I'd ask for a Paradise Pier view in the new wing. You could also request a specific floor and room number. The hotel rooms in that wing end between 240 and 260, even numbers face PP. For example, fifth floor would be 5240. Keep in mind these are requests only and no guarantees so you may want to have more than one request on file, as a back up. And make sure you do this sooner rather than later.

Personally, I'd pay for the view before concierge. Tried CL at DLH once and didn't feel we got our money's worth. But that's just my opinion.
sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: