Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #2431
BunnieGene
Mouseketeer

Oh cool... Didn't have that kind in June...
Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #2432
sierranevada
DISDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
There are new coffee makers at the Grand
At least they are new to me

The old coffee makers had a metal carafe, while the new machine sends the coffee directly into the coffee mug(s).

It looks like a coffee maker droid in this photo
I must be riding Star Tours too much (if that is possible)
They now have them at all the hotels and I have to say that I am not a fan! I like good coffee - travel with Peet's - and you can not use it in this machine but could in the old one. The coffee was not that good and it make a mess. Oh well! At least the Grand has not gone to sensors on their air conditioning like both the PPH and the DLH.

sierranevada is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #2433
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceindisneyland View Post
We usually don't return to the room til bedtime once we leave in the a.m. If we leave a tip for housekeeping on the dresser and another tip on the bed each with a note) in the a.m., assuming honesty on the part of the a.m. housekeeper, will that work so both housekeepers receive their tips? Is $2/night for the turn down attendant appropriate or too little? We tip housekeeping more of course, but I'm thinking turn down service takes only about 90 seconds.
Also, is turn down service automatic, or do I need to call each day?
You are very thoughtful
Leaving a note on each tip should work. You should leave a note, I left a tip under the housekeeping note card -- and they did not take it.

$2 seems about right for turn down.

Turn down service should happen automagically
Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #2434
ParkHopper1
DIS Veteran

specialks,

They will help unload your luggage, but when they ask if you would like "assistance", just offer up a polite "no thanks". They will deliver to your room, but by no means required...or expected. I like to keep my bags with me, hit the room, change, and get to the park. The luggage service, including the storage service at check in and check out can be incredibly SLOWWWWWWWW. I stay there quite a bit and have been frustrated many times waiting for my bags, now they stay with me at all times during check in and check out.

Many people do this as well, nothing out of the ordianry.
ParkHopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #2435
rramstad
Mouseketeer

I'm really happy to see new coffee makers at GCH.

We were there in July and the worst thing about our entire trip to DLR was the awful, awful coffee made by the small coffee makers with the four cup metal carafe.

ANYTHING would be an improvement, even if the new coffeemakers make coffee that is merely tolerable, it would be better. The old ones were TERRIBLE.
rramstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #2436
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada View Post
They now have them at all the hotels and I have to say that I am not a fan! I like good coffee - travel with Peet's - and you can not use it in this machine but could in the old one. The coffee was not that good and it make a mess.
I have considered bringing my own coffee maker
The DVC villas have normal 12 cup coffee makers
Old 09-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #2437
Me!Thatswho
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Main St View Post
If you want to see the monorail, request a courtyard view. I think most, if not all, of the courtyard view rooms are standard. Whether you'll get the requested rooms or not probably depends on how booked they are while you're there. We've never had a problem getting our request in the off season.
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely be sure to ask for the courtyard view. Hopefully it'll work out.
August, 2005 - WDW All-Stars Movies & All-Stars Music -- May, 2006 - WDW Port Orleans French Quarter for SWW -- June, 2007 - WDW Contemporary for SWW -- Dec, 2007 - WDW Pop Century & Contemporary for MVMCP -- July, 2008 - DL Disneyland Hotel -- Dec, 2008 - Jan, 2009 - WDW Polynesian; NYE @ DHS -- Dec, 2009 - Jan, 2010 - WDW Polynesian; NYE: breakfast at AK; mid-day @ Blizzard Beach; evening @ Epcot for Illuminations; fireworks on Poly beach -- Oct, 2010 - WDW Polynesian for MNSSHP -- Nov, 2011 - DL Grand Californian Hotel -- Aug 2012 - WDW Beach Club CL -- Jan 2013 - WDW Yacht Club CL -- Dec 2013 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside: DD danced in XMas parade taping -- July 2014 - DLP Hotel New York -- Nov 2014 - WDW Yacht Club

My first ever Trip Report - DLP or bust! w/ Lots of Pics!
Me!Thatswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #2438
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialks View Post
Okay, so am I understanding that the bellman who unloads your luggage on a cart then takes it somewhere to be stored while you check in? Then when you get your room you have to get another bellman to come with you and/or deliver it? At other hotels I have seen the bellman wait with you while you check in and go straight to your room.
You understand correctly, the bellman does not wait with you.

Quote:
Can you leave your car parked while you check in and then get a bellman to unload it and walk to your room then?
Yes, you may leave your car (loaded or unloaded) at the front of the hotel while you check in. You will need to leave your keys, since the valet might need to move your car. If your room is immediately available, then the bellman will go with you directly to the room. In my experience, the room is generally not immediately available (although my room was ready at 6:30AM last week )

When you check in, you will receive room keys even if your room is not ready. The room key is needed to access the "self park" lot across the street.

Quote:
He also has a problem having our luggage "go off" out of his control. I am worried we will look like a bunch of whisky tangos if we take our own luggage to our room. What do most families do?
Bell services are completely optional. Many guest take care of their own luggage. If your room is not available, I would consider storing luggage with bell services safer than leaving the bags in the parked car.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #2439
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkHopper1 View Post
The luggage service, including the storage service at check in and check out can be incredibly SLOWWWWWWWW. I stay there quite a bit and have been frustrated many times waiting for my bags, now they stay with me at all times during check in and check out.
I agree both bell service and valet can be very slow
I've been told Sunday is the worst, since half the rooms change guests

The delays are worse since the DVC expansion. A bellman told me the number of bellman did not increase (the hotel expanded from about 750 to 1000 rooms).
Old 09-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #2440
specialks
Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

Quote:
specialks,

They will help unload your luggage, but when they ask if you would like "assistance", just offer up a polite "no thanks". They will deliver to your room, but by no means required...or expected. I like to keep my bags with me, hit the room, change, and get to the park. The luggage service, including the storage service at check in and check out can be incredibly SLOWWWWWWWW. I stay there quite a bit and have been frustrated many times waiting for my bags, now they stay with me at all times during check in and check out.

Many people do this as well, nothing out of the ordianry.
Quote:
You understand correctly, the bellman does not wait with you.

Yes, you may leave your car (loaded or unloaded) at the front of the hotel while you check in. You will need to leave your keys, since the valet might need to move your car. If your room is immediately available, then the bellman will go with you directly to the room. In my experience, the room is generally not immediately available (although my room was ready at 6:30AM last week )

When you check in, you will receive room keys even if your room is not ready. The room key is needed to access the "self park" lot across the street.

Bell services are completely optional. Many guest take care of their own luggage. If your room is not available, I would consider storing luggage with bell services safer than leaving the bags in the parked car.
Thanks you guys! Sounds like it will work out well and I can slip the car bellman some money for unloading but then we can keep it with us for check-in. I think we will be arriving in the afternoon (2'ish) so maybe we'll get lucky and have our room ready. If not, we might have to do the baggage hold. Oh, then again...maybe we will wait until after we check in to get our luggage and then decide between leaving it in the car or leaving it at the bellman desk (although, I agree, leaving it in the car is risky esp with laptops). I think I am just over-analyzing it.
WDW Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov 9-11, 2012 - ASMovies ~~ Jan 26-31, 2012 DLR Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon - BW Stovalls ~~ DLR Oct 23-26, 2011 - GCH ~~ DLR Dec 7-14, 2010 TR - ResInnGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 19-26, 2009 - HomSteGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 13-20, 2008 - HomSteGarGrv
specialks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #2441
ParkHopper1
DIS Veteran

By 2p you should get your room, but if you do have to do early check in I would defiantly have them hold your luggage and bring it to your room later if you are gonna hit the park. I would check in with your bags in hand, and if the off chance that your room isn't ready, drop the bags off at the bell desk. I wouldn't leave them in the car. Too much hassle getting them later.

I too am super anal and paranoid about my bag security, especially my laptop...but after seeing their storage room and how they handle the bags, GCA is one of the few places that I trust.
ParkHopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #2442
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I too am super anal and paranoid about my bag security, especially my laptop...but after seeing their storage room and how they handle the bags, GCA is one of the few places that I trust.
A key card is needed to access the bag storage area (one of these wireless RF types), so it is relatively secure. I would be surprised if a bellmen would risk his job stealing from checked baggage. I suspect bell service at the Grand is one of the highest paid "service" jobs anywhere in the DLR
Old 09-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #2443
nursemelis374
Mouseketeer

My family just booked a 3 bedroom suite for next summer and I am so excited! Subscribing to this thread for info! I am a local and longtime AP holder but it will be fun to experience the parks with some newbies, including my 3 year old nephew! It will be his and his parents first time! My aunt hasn't been in years but she was at opening day back in 1955!

Here are my questions:

1. I read on here that they do special things for birthdays, first times, etc. How do we get more info/schedule that?

2. I am not sure about the location of the 3 bedroom suites. I assume it is 3 rooms put together so maybe it is anywhere? My mom is in a wheelchair so we need a good location.

3. Our TA said we could do concierge for only 150 a night! There are 9 of us so this is a pretty good deal, right?

4. I have heard that they may let GCH guests enter into Carsland next summer early, anyone else hear that?

Any other tips are appreciated!
Coronado Springs - October 2008
Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge - June 2010
Offsite at WDW - October 2010
Polynesian - October 2011
Grand Californian Concierge Suite - June 2012
Offsite and RPR - June 2013

Disneyland- More times than I could count!
nursemelis374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #2444
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemelis374 View Post
My family just booked a 3 bedroom suite for next summer and I am so excited!...

2. I am not sure about the location of the 3 bedroom suites. I assume it is 3 rooms put together so maybe it is anywhere? My mom is in a wheelchair so we need a good location.
There are 1 bedroom suites at the end of several wings of the hotel, these can be connected to regular hotel rooms on 2 sides to form a 3 bedroom suite (with 3 full bathrooms). This configuration is the most common 3 bedroom suite. There are a few other multi-room Presidential and Vice Presidential suites. Make sure you reserve a Handicap Accessible room, this should be guaranteed (not just a request).
Room descriptions from the Disney Convention site.

Quote:
3. Our TA said we could do concierge for only 150 a night! There are 9 of us so this is a pretty good deal, right
If you are only charged $150 the entire group, then it is a good deal

Quote:
4. I have heard that they may let GCH guests enter into Carsland next summer early, anyone else hear that?
Nothing official has been announced, but I expect there will be some form of early entry for resort guests.

Quote:
Any other tips are appreciated!
Have you considered booking the Disney Vacation Club Grand Villa?
The Grand Villa is a 2 story, 3 bedroom suite.
Some features: 1 king bed, 4 queen beds, 2 fold out couches, 4 full baths, full kitchen, wash/dryer, pool table.
HA details of the GV from the VGC owners thread

Cash reservations direct from the hotel are limited and will likely be much more expensive that a 3 bedroom suite.
On the other hand, renting DVC points might actually be cheaper than a 3 bedroom suite.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #2445
aliceindisneyland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You are very thoughtful
Leaving a note on each tip should work. You should leave a note, I left a tip under the housekeeping note card -- and they did not take it.

$2 seems about right for turn down.

Turn down service should happen automagically
Thanks; and love "automagically"!

Moving on...bringing my own coffee & coffeepot for sure; new or not I think of hotel coffeepots as germ incubators
aliceindisneyland is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: