Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 03:21 AM   #2371
eyeheartgoofy
DIS Veteran

We just got back from our first trip to DLR ... I LOVED the GCH!

I paid for a standard room at the GCH and requested bunk beds ... we were put in a room with bunkbeds and a view of the pool complex and Mickey's Fun Wheel. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I'm not sure if this was an upgrade, or if the view was considered standard because the view directly in front of the window was of a tree (had to stand on the balcony and look left to see the pool and DCA). Whatever it was - it was absolutely AWESOME!!! The room was very bright and sunny in the afternoon and the location was incredibly convenient. I sat on the balcony every night at 9:00pm and listened to the WOC music and watched the colors on the Fun Wheel and Screamin'.

I don't know if we will ever make it back to DLR, but I have to say that the GCH is now my favorite Disney resort (I've stayed at 8 different Disney resorts in Orlando - 4 of them "deluxe" ... the GCH tops them all!).
eyeheartgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #2372
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartgoofy View Post

I paid for a standard room at the GCH and requested bunk beds ... we were put in a room with bunkbeds and a view of the pool complex and Mickey's Fun Wheel. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I'm not sure if this was an upgrade, or if the view was considered standard because the view directly in front of the window was of a tree (had to stand on the balcony and look left to see the pool and DCA). Whatever it was - it was absolutely AWESOME!!! The room was very bright and sunny in the afternoon and the location was incredibly convenient. I sat on the balcony every night at 9:00pm and listened to the WOC music and watched the colors on the Fun Wheel and Screamin'.

I don't know if we will ever make it back to DLR, but I have to say that the GCH is now my favorite Disney resort (I've stayed at 8 different Disney resorts in Orlando - 4 of them "deluxe" ... the GCH tops them all!).
Disney's real best kept secret
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #2373
aliceindisneyland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
Bunkbed rooms are spread throughout the hotel.
Thanks!
aliceindisneyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #2374
poohnpigletCA
DIS Veteran

Hey Mers here is the thread
poohnpigletCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #2375
tholczer
Mouseketeer

Location: The Balcony of Los Angeles (I'll let you figure that one out)

Quote:

Do you mind my asking what room you had?

We are staying in a standard room and I was wondering if the SuperThread Gods could tell me where the most convenient area is in the hotel. Convenient to exits close to the parks, etc. I hear its a maze and you can get stuck in Siberia, which I'd like to avoid. Thanks!
tholczer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #2376
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidoprincess View Post
goldies 5, No, none of the view rooms have the daybeds. I really wanted a nice view but found out there are no view rooms and it was more important to me to have the big room. The daybed rooms are ONLY above the front entrance and the view is looking across to the DLH on the right and PP on the left over the parking lots. You can see pretty far but we didn't even notice the parking lots or Disneyland Drive because there are a lot of trees along the drive area. I was worried that we would hear car doors the whole time especially on the 2nd floor from people checking in and using valet parking but we didn't hear anything except an occasional happy kid running down the hall in the daytime.

The daybed rooms are X101-X107 and X201-X207 where X is the floor number. The 3rd floor is really nice because there is a big landing with a super wide hallway but our room was on the 2nd floor and nice because it was so easy to get to. Post number 827 in this thread shows a pic of the daybed room. You can't tell from the pic but there is a big space on the sliding door side of the daybed and we pushed the bed down to the tv and had room there to put the queen sized airbed.

ORDisneyfans, Have a wonderful time! Remember the DLH is under construction but the neverland pool is open and the tower that they are working on is the far one above the waterfalls that are turned off and boarded up. If you happen to get that tower, ask to be moved. I saw a bunch of people complained and they were moved because of the construction noise. Call ahead and request a renovated room in the Dreams tower. Some of those rooms are considered standard view on the lower floors so you might get lucky. PP is nice and we've enjoyed our stays there as well. Remember to go out the front door and cross the street at the light cutting through GCH for the shortest walk. If you go out the back door by the parking garage and walk along the path to the DLH, it is a much longer walk! Remember too that you can go to early entry every day that you are there as a perk of staying onsight. They don't always tell you that and we think it is one of the best perks.

tinksdreamwishes, I don't have the room numbers for the king bed rooms but they are almost as scarce as the daybed rooms. Before the additional wing, this was the breakdown of room types:
39 Queen/Queens day bed
477 Queen/Queens
75 Kings
154 Bunk Beds
745 Total Rooms

The CM who checked us in told me that they were hoping there would be more daybed and king rooms built in the newer wing but she said they were all 2 Q rooms not including the villas of course. She also said she gets yelled at by guests all day long who were promised a certain type of room and don't get it. They are working on trying to fix the communications issues with reservations promising the certain room types. The only thing they do guarantee is the view type that you reserve, not the bedding configuration although our reservationist said we were 99% sure to get the daybed room. With only 39 of that type, she was wrong!
I was hoping for a daybed with the monorail view....sounds like that is not an option. Does anyone know the bed configuration of the monorail view rooms? Any bunkbeds? Thanks!

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #2377
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

When we went in March, we had a concierge monorail view with 2 queen beds only

Grand Californian Super Thread
Anything you need to know about the GCH can be found here...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2396588

DmaxHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #2378
eyeheartgoofy
DIS Veteran

Finally figured out how to post pictures and wanted to share some of our room (bunkbed standard view 3340):

Queen Bed - notice the bright sunlight

Table and Chairs

The Requested Bunkbeds! The wall lights above each bunk are controlled individually.

Last edited by eyeheartgoofy; 08-21-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #2379
eyeheartgoofy
DIS Veteran

Continued From Above ... Views From The Balcony of Room 3340.

Looking Straight Ahead ... not much to see.

But look to the left ... and Wow! This is a standard view???!!!

A little zoom action.

I sat in the far right corner of the balcony every night around 9:00pm to enjoy the view.

And, just for fun, a photo of our general room location I snapped while on Mickey's Fun Wheel. Room was on the third floor, fourth room down from elevators.

Last edited by eyeheartgoofy; 08-21-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: need to resize
Old 08-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #2380
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
room (standard view 3340):
Do you have any pictures from the balcony?
Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #2381
eyeheartgoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
Do you have any pictures from the balcony?
See Above!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #2382
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
See Above!
Added view pics to thread content. Thanks!

Anything you need to know about the GCH can be found here...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2396588

Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #2383
flores
Earning My Ears

My family & I stayed there during Christmas. The Experience was great! The staff was very attentive to us. Don't miss the Christmas decorations in the lobby.
flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #2384
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

We are checking into the GC in 4 1/2 days. I haven't stayed there in years. Can hardly wait!

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #2385
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetmickey View Post
We are checking into the GC in 4 1/2 days. I haven't stayed there in years. Can hardly wait!
Hope you have a great stay! Let us know how you enjoy the hotel and parks!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: