Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 02:37 AM   #2356
summer0407
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
The room you are seeking has 2 queen beds and a daybed
You may search this thread using the keyword daybed (rather than sofa bed) for more information.

This post from page 70, talks about staying at another hotel the night before to allow early checkin

All 39 daybed rooms are located above the main entrance and are booked as standard rooms, none have pool/park/DTD views.

Your odds of getting the daybed are not great. There are twice as many rooms with a single king bed, and my request was met only once in about 10 visits

Some things to improve your chances:
1. Checkin as early as possible. I have checked in at 6AM to take advantage of Magic Morning.
2. Call the GCH and make sure your daybed request is noted on your reservation.
3. Make your reservation for 5 adults. This might cause a daybed room to be assigned to you, but I don't know for sure
Thanks so much for the reply! That is my biggest fear not getting a day bed. It just would not work unless we had it so I guess I am really taking a chance. Someone would be on the floor if we did not get it which would be pretty bad
summer0407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #2357
boiseflyfisher
I'm curious, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer0407 View Post
Can anyone tell me if we book a room with 5 people ( 3 adults and 2 kids) will we likely get a 2 queen with sofa bed? My fear is we will only get 2 queens and that will not work for us. Should I request something specific? Any advice. We are looking for a standard room in early December.
I know this is a thread about the Grand, but if you know you are needing a room to sleep 5, you might want to consider staying right across the street at Paradise Pier. You are pretty much guaranteed a room with two beds and a couch that converts to a single. For the price you are paying for your nights at GCH, you could add concierge and a view room. Just a suggestion. If you are sold on staying at GCH, I totally understand as we are DVC owners there and feel the love.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #2358
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseflyfisher View Post
...you might want to consider staying right across the street at Paradise Pier. You are pretty much guaranteed a room with two beds and a couch that converts to a single.
Good advice. 2 queens and a daybed is the "standard" configuration at Paradise Pier

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseflyfisher View Post
... If you are sold on staying at GCH, I totally understand as we are DVC owners there and feel the love.
I am also a DVC owner, which has solved my problems with king bed requests -- all 1 bedroom villas have a king
Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #2359
TLPL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxHawk View Post
I'll try to get a more recent one up later.
Any luck finding a recent copy?? I just want to plan ahead.

February: WDW/ DCL - Bay Lake Tower/ 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Fantasy/ Villas at Grand Floridian (Done)
August: Animal Kingdom Lodge/ Vero Beach
Christmas: Hong Kong Disneyland

TLPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #2360
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLPL View Post
Any luck finding a recent copy?? I just want to plan ahead.
Sorry I haven't gotten this up!
This is the most recent one I have, hope it helps!

Grand Californian Super Thread
Anything you need to know about the GCH can be found here...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2396588

DmaxHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #2361
mika911
DIS Veteran

I have tried on two occasions to find the multi-story overlook at Grand Californian. I am referring to the overlook that faces Paradise Pier. How would you locate this? I once walked to the furtherest south point I could find in the hallways, but did not see it.

Is this open to any guest?
December (Crowne Plaza Anaheim)
2007: February (Grand Californian), August (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
2008: August (Grand Californian)
2009: June (Grand Californian) August (Paris Disneyland Hotel)
2010 - August (Grand & DLH)
mika911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #2362
mrswh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domchi002 View Post
Hello, we will be staying at GCH for Labor Day wknd.
I thought I had heard somewhere that if you have booked a Resort Vacation Pkg, the parking fee is waived. Is that true?
And if it's not true, how much is the parking fee?

Thanks in advance!
I don't know about the package, but parking is $15 for self parking and $22 for valet.
mrswh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #2363
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika911 View Post
I have tried on two occasions to find the multi-story overlook at Grand Californian. I am referring to the overlook that faces Paradise Pier. How would you locate this? I once walked to the furtherest south point I could find in the hallways, but did not see it.

Is this open to any guest?
You will need to be in the DVC wing (also has lots of hotel roooms). You walk outside past the pool and the kid's club, take the elevator to the 6th floor and follow the signs. Your room key will get you in. There are restrooms and a soda machine and music will be piped in for WOC.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #2364
aliceindisneyland
DIS Veteran

Just booked GCH for 4 nights starting Sept 8, Standard room.
Total with AP rate is 1030 + tax & parking (1265 total).
Booked through the 714-635-2300 number.
I requested bunk beds, and a room as high as possible. Reading through the thread, it looks like Standards get minimum courtesy on requests. Hoping the off season dates complete with early park closing and major ride refurbs help us get what we want!
We are celebrating my husband's 40th bday and the agent said maybe he could get a birthday button. I asked if we could get the Mickey autographed photo & balloons as well, but she said those are only available for additional fee through Disney Planners. Thought I had read here that those little touches are available for free? Maybe just for Concierge & higher? If anyone can confirm the bday service is indeed available for us lowly Standards, I'll call back to a different agent.
Does asking for a higher level room help in any way with getting upgraded to a view? Not that it matters much--my 7 yr old saw a pic of a parking lot view and said, "Wow! That's the best looking parking lot I've ever seen!"
Concierge rate is showing about $200/night additional -- is that about average for that upgrade? If so, cost vs. benefit doesn't work for us -- don't think we could consume $200 worth of drinks/snacks/breakfast each day!
If by chance the rate goes lower, is it fairly easy to get the price adjusted? Does anyone call reservation line directly to check prices or are the online prices as accurate?
Thank you!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #2365
MermaidHair
Mouseketeer

Lucky You Alice! I am trying to swing a trip this fall with a stay at GCH but I do not think my schedule will allow it

Anyway, this recent thread about room upgrades was helpful:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2776444

And re: the Mickey pic and balloons - mention DH's birthday when you check in and ask if you can get anything for him? Last time we went (9/09) they gave us the pic and baloons and the button at check in and I had not mentioned it before. Disclaimer: That was at the DLH.

Good Luck
MermaidHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #2366
ttfn2u2pooh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceindisneyland View Post
Concierge rate is showing about $200/night additional -- is that about average for that upgrade? If so, cost vs. benefit doesn't work for us -- don't think we could consume $200 worth of drinks/snacks/breakfast each day!
If by chance the rate goes lower, is it fairly easy to get the price adjusted? Does anyone call reservation line directly to check prices or are the online prices as accurate?
Thank you!
We are booked for GCH concierge level for mid Sept. We have that level because my brother booked and paid for the trip for us. I don't think I would have done this on my own. I don't think my mom, myself or my DD (3) would spend that much on food per day but we have it and we will utilize the heck out of the lounge as much as we can.

As far as lowering your room rate if lower rates arrive, it is possible. I was one who luckily received a PIN code from Disneyland. I called Disney and, after about 45 minutes, not only did our room go down almost $800, we were upgraded to a park view room. So yes, if lower rates are found, call.... call... call. It's not going to hurt to call and ask. It did take some time but it was so well worth it. Since my brother had already paid for the reservation they simply applied the credit back to his credit card.

With regards to the birthday surprises, I cannot answer you. I am planning on letting the front desk know upon check-in that it's my daughters 1st trip to DL, that we're celebrating our first trip and birthdays and this will most likely be my mom's last trip to DL. I'll make sure to get the buttons from the parks but I feel it's not going to hurt to ask/tell the front desk about our celebrations either. Any little bit of Pixie Dust offerings will be so celebrated.

Have a great time on your vacation. I cannot wait for ours. Luckily, I have so much to do between now and then that it helps to keep me busy and not dwell on the fact that I'm not in the parks yet.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #2367
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does asking for a higher level room help in any way with getting upgraded to a view?
The bunk bed request might help
I had a standard room upgraded to a pool view with a bunk bed
Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #2368
cpster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just booked GCH for 4 nights starting Sept 8, Standard room.
Total with AP rate is 1030 + tax & parking (1265 total).
Booked through the 714-635-2300 number.
I requested bunk beds, and a room as high as possible. Reading through the thread, it looks like Standards get minimum courtesy on requests. Hoping the off season dates complete with early park closing and major ride refurbs help us get what we want!
We are celebrating my husband's 40th bday and the agent said maybe he could get a birthday button. I asked if we could get the Mickey autographed photo & balloons as well, but she said those are only available for additional fee through Disney Planners. Thought I had read here that those little touches are available for free? Maybe just for Concierge & higher? If anyone can confirm the bday service is indeed available for us lowly Standards, I'll call back to a different agent.
Does asking for a higher level room help in any way with getting upgraded to a view? Not that it matters much--my 7 yr old saw a pic of a parking lot view and said, "Wow! That's the best looking parking lot I've ever seen!"
Thank you!
We stayed the last week of July in a DTD view room. I had called ahead and put in comments we would be celebrating DD 2nd birthday. I think the check in agent didn't see the comments though so I mentioned that we were celebrating the birthday. She said to wait a moment and then came back with a button, 2 balloons, and an autographed photo of Minnie Mouse. So definately mention it. Hopefully you'll get a nice CM that will go above and beyond the standard button. I saw lots of balloons being handed out at check in. I think the agent we got was new though as she forgot to give us our Fastpasses and the welcome packet with all of the neat hotel information. We didn't find out about the welcome packet until we went back down to inquire about the Fastpasses.
cpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #2369
aliceindisneyland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidHair View Post
Lucky You Alice! I am trying to swing a trip this fall with a stay at GCH but I do not think my schedule will allow it

Anyway, this recent thread about room upgrades was helpful:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2776444
Thanks--will head over to read it!
And re: the Mickey pic and balloons - mention DH's birthday when you check in and ask if you can get anything for him? Last time we went (9/09) they gave us the pic and baloons and the button at check in and I had not mentioned it before. Disclaimer: That was at the DLH.
Worth a shot! Thanks
Good Luck
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttfn2u2pooh View Post
We are booked for GCH concierge level for mid Sept. We have that level because my brother booked and paid for the trip for us. I don't think I would have done this on my own. I don't think my mom, myself or my DD (3) would spend that much on food per day but we have it and we will utilize the heck out of the lounge as much as we can.

As far as lowering your room rate if lower rates arrive, it is possible. I was one who luckily received a PIN code from Disneyland. I called Disney and, after about 45 minutes, not only did our room go down almost $800, we were upgraded to a park view room. So yes, if lower rates are found, call.... call... call. It's not going to hurt to call and ask. It did take some time but it was so well worth it. Since my brother had already paid for the reservation they simply applied the credit back to his credit card.
Great! Since my room was just an AP discount I'm hoping a better offer goes up before our trip. (When we stayed at DLH last summer we made out better with the offer than with AP.) Thanks!
With regards to the birthday surprises, I cannot answer you. I am planning on letting the front desk know upon check-in that it's my daughters 1st trip to DL, that we're celebrating our first trip and birthdays and this will most likely be my mom's last trip to DL. I'll make sure to get the buttons from the parks but I feel it's not going to hurt to ask/tell the front desk about our celebrations either. Any little bit of Pixie Dust offerings will be so celebrated.
Prayers that your mom may enjoy many more trips to Disneyland!
Have a great time on your vacation. I cannot wait for ours. Luckily, I have so much to do between now and then that it helps to keep me busy and not dwell on the fact that I'm not in the parks yet.
Thanks -- hope your trip is great as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
The bunk bed request might help
I had a standard room upgraded to a pool view with a bunk bed

Thanks -- are bunk bed rooms spread throughout the hotel or do they typically come with a view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpster View Post
We stayed the last week of July in a DTD view room. I had called ahead and put in comments we would be celebrating DD 2nd birthday. I think the check in agent didn't see the comments though so I mentioned that we were celebrating the birthday. She said to wait a moment and then came back with a button, 2 balloons, and an autographed photo of Minnie Mouse. So definately mention it. Hopefully you'll get a nice CM that will go above and beyond the standard button. I saw lots of balloons being handed out at check in. I think the agent we got was new though as she forgot to give us our Fastpasses and the welcome packet with all of the neat hotel information. We didn't find out about the welcome packet until we went back down to inquire about the Fastpasses.
Good idea; thanks! I wish we could go a week earlier -- they stop giving the FPs Sept 5.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #2370
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks -- are bunk bed rooms spread throughout the hotel or do they typically come with a view?
Bunkbed rooms are spread throughout the hotel.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: