Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #2326
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieGirl71 View Post
That's awesome, Jenny! Just had to thank you for your suggestion about renting DVC points for our trip last year. It was too late for last year's trip but we are staying at GCV in September. Thank you!

It is addicting...

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #2327
debm
Whose goal is to get the WDW trip pictures into the scrapbook before the next trip!

I know the resort is non-smoking but that means not on the balcony either, right? I have a family member that wants to be able to sit out on the balcony and smoke but I told them I didn't think they could. Anyone know for sure, or where the smoking area might be on the grounds? Thanks!
debm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #2328
blackjackdelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by debm View Post
I know the resort is non-smoking but that means not on the balcony either, right? I have a family member that wants to be able to sit out on the balcony and smoke but I told them I didn't think they could. Anyone know for sure, or where the smoking area might be on the grounds? Thanks!
You are correct about the balcony, even though we see people doing it. I wish I could help with the no smoking issue outside but can not.

Jack

Last edited by blackjackdelta; 07-05-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #2329
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debm View Post
There is no smoking on the balconies. It's a $250 "fee" if you smoke in your room/balcony. One of the smoking areas is by the large outside fireplace. Another is right outside the Hearthstone lounge. My SIL says there's another by the DTD entrance, I'm not sure where exactly.

A side note about smoking on the balcony. We had a villa facing the WOC. While watching, someone above us was dropping things from their balcony hitting the "metal gutter" below us. Noisy and irritating, we asked them to stop. They continued, but when a lighted cigarette butt drifted close to my niece, she shouted, "STOP dropping your ****" and we called security. Not that your family member would do that, but ashes can drift into someone's else balcony, not to mention smoke. My sil smokes but she managed to walk to the smoking areas.

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #2330
JosieGirl71
Dreaming of sun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
It is addicting...

Jack
That's what we're afraid of, Jack!

November/December 2013: Ayres Inn Orange
November 2012: Crowne Plaza
September 2011: VGC to celebrate our 20th anniversary!
October 2010: Crowne Plaza
December 2008: Hyatt Regency
December 2007: Hilton
December 2004: Hojo's
JosieGirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #2331
JosieGirl71
Dreaming of sun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
If you click on my ptr below, I posted a ton of pics. You are going to flip! Seriously. It will be hard to stay anywhere else. How much per point? Is that too personal? I've seen the GCV up to $13 per point.
Going to check out your TR and send you a PM.

November/December 2013: Ayres Inn Orange
November 2012: Crowne Plaza
September 2011: VGC to celebrate our 20th anniversary!
October 2010: Crowne Plaza
December 2008: Hyatt Regency
December 2007: Hilton
December 2004: Hojo's
JosieGirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #2332
debm
Whose goal is to get the WDW trip pictures into the scrapbook before the next trip!

Thank you for your quick replies about the smoking. I have passed the info on to them. I knew it wasn't allowed, but didn't have the specifics. This helps! Thanks!
debm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #2333
Corpsebride
DIS Veteran

So, does anyone know when the Fall Grand California Hotel Rates come out?
We want to book our room for our 1 year Wedding Anniversary....Oct. 31, 2011
Disneyland Hotel

(Our Disney's Fairytale Wedding Planner, Traci Banister, She is the BEST!!714~956-6726)
Our 4 Year Anniversary is right around the corner!
Corpsebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #2334
helenb
Wishing for the World...

I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread or not, but in case it hasn't I'll post.

I am leaving for DL on Saturday. 2 people in my party are first-timers to DL (one has never been to Disney at all, and the other has been to WDW for 1 day). I asked if the hotel could do anything for first-timers. Well they told me they will give them the first-timer buttons, put autographed Mickey pictures in the room, and decorate with balloons. I said great, what's the charge for that... and they said it was complimentary! Apparently they will do this for any 'special celebration'. I was blown away. I had seen the outrageous prices on those gift baskets and anticipated a nasty charge.

So to the GCH for doing this!
helenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #2335
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

So, I have a couple more points left for this UY and we already did WDW in 2010 & 2011 , so I booked my family 3 nights into a 1 BR at the VGC for MLK 2012! w00t!

I have just been researching DLR since this will be my first DLR/DVC trip. I have seen bunkbeds in some pictures. Is that just for the GC rooms or are those available on the villas as well?

Also, with no ME and no DP for DLR, what other things should I be planning for, other than tickets?

How's California weather in January? Will the pools be open and warm? Or will it be freezing/cold?

Lots of questions!!!! Excited to be planning a trip again!
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #2336
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxdvz View Post
So, I have a couple more points left for this UY and we already did WDW in 2010 & 2011 , so I booked my family 3 nights into a 1 BR at the VGC for MLK 2012! w00t!

I have just been researching DLR since this will be my first DLR/DVC trip. I have seen bunkbeds in some pictures. Is that just for the GC rooms or are those available on the villas as well?

Also, with no ME and no DP for DLR, what other things should I be planning for, other than tickets?

How's California weather in January? Will the pools be open and warm? Or will it be freezing/cold?

January can be hit or miss. Sometimes it's beautful, warm in the 70's and other times it is flooding. The pools will be open and heated and being that you're from Chicago you will probably think the weather is warm compared to what you'll be coming from.

You can still make dining reservations and I would reccomend doing so for places like the Blue Bayou and Carnation Cafe, plus if you decide to do a WoC dining package, I think those are reservation only. However those are open 60 days in advance not 180.

The DVC rooms do not have bunkbeds, but the one bedroom will have a murphy bed under the TV in the Living Room which has been reported to be very comfortable.

I would suggest that you don't miss the caramel kettle corn from the stand in DTD that is on the way to the DLH, not the other on the way to DL that is just plain kettle corn, but the carmel one is addictive.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #2337
helenb
Wishing for the World...

January is usually on the cooler side. You *might* be able to swim in the outdoor pools (the water is heated) but it may also be cold and rainy. It's the kind of thing where you'll want to throw a bathing suit into your suitcase just in case, but don't count on it.

The good news is that other than right after New Year's and the MLK weekend, DL is pretty empty in January. You'll be walking on many of the rides and be able to make the most of your days.

Advance preparation is similar to WDW: make your ADRs (although not until 60 days out, 30 if you want Fantasmic Dessert Packages) and get your touring plans together.
helenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #2338
blackjackdelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenb View Post
I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread or not, but in case it hasn't I'll post.

I am leaving for DL on Saturday. 2 people in my party are first-timers to DL (one has never been to Disney at all, and the other has been to WDW for 1 day). I asked if the hotel could do anything for first-timers. Well they told me they will give them the first-timer buttons, put autographed Mickey pictures in the room, and decorate with balloons. I said great, what's the charge for that... and they said it was complimentary! Apparently they will do this for any 'special celebration'. I was blown away. I had seen the outrageous prices on those gift baskets and anticipated a nasty charge.

So to the GCH for doing this!
The last couple of years we have been there on my birthday and we were surprized to see the goodies show up. I have more autographed photos than i know what to do with. Love GCV.

Jack
Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #2339
TLPL
DIS Veteran

Is there a daily activities schedule for the Grand Cal like they do for every resort in WDW?? Anyone has any recent one scanned??

-February: WDW/ DCL - Bay Lake Tower/ 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Fantasy/ Villas at Grand Floridian
-August: Vero Beach

-Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Wonder/ Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas

TLPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #2340
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxdvz View Post

We have traveled from Chicago to DL quite a few times and January is our favorite time to go! Some years we swim, some years we don't. The weather is impossible to predict. Thankfully, even cold for California is a heck of a lot warmer than warm for Chicago in January! Its easy to see who is a local and who is visiting by the way the way they are dressed. Locals are in hats and mittens, visitors are in t-shirts

Lucille1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: