Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #2281
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds
 
blackjackdelta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: So. Eastern Washington
Posts: 8,436

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethy View Post
Can anyone confirm that the earliest you can reserve a cabana is 10 days ahead? I don't want to miss my window of opportunity. I'm still trying to decide between a whole and a half day . . . What is the cancellation policy? Do you pay for the cabana up front? Final question: Are the drinks and menu items the same selection and prices as they are when ordering from the regular lounge chairs?
I think we are somewhere around 40 days and I have one booked for a full day first week in August. I have paid nothing as of yet and was not asked. Did not ask about cancellation policy since it is of no concern.

Jack

Last edited by blackjackdelta; 06-21-2011 at 08:28 PM.
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #2282
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran
 
LisainCalifornia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,487

We just got back from our long anticipated trip! I have to admit that this experience with the Grand Californian has turned my opinion around of the hotel. We had previously always been placed in the no balcony rooms that over looked the car park, and found them to be dark and not so magical.

This trip we arrived on July 12th. I had put in a request for a bunk bed room, and had paid for an upgrade to a downtown Disney view room. We checked in around 9:00 am. The young man who checked us in said that we were NOT placed in a bunk bed room. I told him that this was important to my girls, and he said "well, I see you have a request for a downtown disney view as well, so you have to decide which is more important...". I then informed him that I PAID for a downtown disney view, which is different than a "request"--and of course since I paid for that view I had better get it! I then told him my sob story of how we have never had a room at the Grand Californian with a balcony (which he said "all of our rooms have balconies...") and we just wanted a good view with a nice room. I told him to go home that night and google it, and he will see that indeed, there are about 10% of rooms that don't have a balcony at the Grand. For now, I just wanted our downtown disney view and our bunk beds, which we had requested. He left and did his "disney magic" and came back to grant just that.

We were placed in a 5th floor room overlooking Sephora and Disney 365 (room 5155) that had bunkbeds. He claimed that you could not see fireworks from this room, but I took it anyway. What I found out later was that not only could we see the fireworks, but we had a perfect "middle" view of them that could not have been better. These people that work on site really need to know their stuff better!

My girls are 11 and 14, so are a little long in the tooth (from disney's viewpoint) for the bunk beds--but these beds are the same length and width as regular twin beds, which they have at home. They loved them and loved not having to share a bed.

Our room was very light and bright with the downtown disney view, and seemed more spacious than other rooms we have had at this hotel. We were all so comfortable there, and happily enjoyed the next 5 days in our home away from home. We watched the fireworks from our room for 2 of the nights, as did our neighbors on the same floor from the balconies. It was a quiet, comfortable stay (except for the baby who stayed next door to us Monday and Tuesday night who cried very loudly both mornings at 6:00 am!).

We loved staying so close and didn't find the hallway to our room "too" long at all. I kept thinking how lucky we were to stay so close in such luxury, actually.
My girls in their beloved bunkbeds


and here was our view:

Last edited by LisainCalifornia; 06-26-2011 at 11:12 AM.
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #2283
helenb
Wishing for the World...
 
helenb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post
Yes they do. They are between the pool w/slide and the restrooms. We saw lots of people wearing the robes from the rooms.
Thank yoU!
helenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #2284
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds
 
blackjackdelta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: So. Eastern Washington
Posts: 8,436

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
We just got back from our long anticipated trip! I have to admit that this experience with the Grand Californian has turned my opinion around of the hotel. We had previously always been placed in the no balcony rooms that over looked the car park, and found them to be dark and not so magical.

This trip we arrived on July 12th. I had put in a request for a bunk bed room, and had paid for an upgrade to a downtown Disney view room. We checked in around 9:00 am. The young man who checked us in said that we were NOT placed in a bunk bed room. I told him that this was important to my girls, and he said "well, I see you have a request for a downtown disney view as well, so you have to decide which is more important...". I then informed him that I PAID for a downtown disney view, which is different than a "request"--and of course since I paid for that view I had better get it! I then told him my sob story of how we have never had a room at the Grand Californian with a balcony (which he said "all of our rooms have balconies...") and we just wanted a good view with a nice room. I told him to go home that night and google it, and he will see that indeed, there are about 10% of rooms that don't have a balcony at the Grand. For now, I just wanted our downtown disney view and our bunk beds, which we had requested. He left and did his "disney magic" and came back to grant just that.

We were placed in a 5th floor room overlooking Sephora and Disney 365 (room 1555) that had bunkbeds. He claimed that you could not see fireworks from this room, but I took it anyway. What I found out later was that not only could we see the fireworks, but we had a perfect "middle" view of them that could not have been better. These people that work on site really need to know their stuff better!

My girls are 11 and 14, so are a little long in the tooth (from disney's viewpoint) for the bunk beds--but these beds are the same length and width as regular twin beds, which they have at home. They loved them and loved not having to share a bed.

Our room was very light and bright with the downtown disney view, and seemed more spacious than other rooms we have had at this hotel. We were all so comfortable there, and happily enjoyed the next 5 days in our home away from home. We watched the fireworks from our room for 2 of the nights, as did our neighbors on the same floor from the balconies. It was a quiet, comfortable stay (except for the baby who stayed next door to us Monday and Tuesday night who cried very loudly both mornings at 6:00 am!).

We loved staying so close and didn't find the hallway to our room "too" long at all. I kept thinking how lucky we were to stay so close in such luxury, actually.
My girls in their beloved bunkbeds
Sounds great, was hoping your trip would turn out to be what you want it to be.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #2285
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran
 
LisainCalifornia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
Sounds great, was hoping your trip would turn out to be what you want it to be.

Jack
Thanks, Jack--it really was incredible. The only problem is now that my girls want to get this same room every time we come back! This trip we did get AP's, so we will be going back to disneyland very soon--but do not have the budget for another GC stay. That is just a dose of real life!

We had such a nice trip and everything was so nice at the hotel. We even got the lounge chairs by the pool! It was so nice to enjoy it all with my girls. I feel like I really knew what to ask for after reading this extensive thread on the GC!

We didn't end up over World of Disney (east wing) like I had originally requested--but discovered that the fireworks view was just as good from where we were. We took the main lobby elevator up to room, which was easier as well.
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #2286
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure
 
KCmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 8,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
Thanks, Jack--it really was incredible. The only problem is now that my girls want to get this same room every time we come back! This trip we did get AP's, so we will be going back to disneyland very soon--but do not have the budget for another GC stay. That is just a dose of real life!

We had such a nice trip and everything was so nice at the hotel. We even got the lounge chairs by the pool! It was so nice to enjoy it all with my girls. I feel like I really knew what to ask for after reading this extensive thread on the GC!

We didn't end up over World of Disney (east wing) like I had originally requested--but discovered that the fireworks view was just as good from where we were. We took the main lobby elevator up to room, which was easier as well.
Love those Chaisse lounge chairs. Glad you had a good visit. How can you not?
__________________
Follow me on Flickr here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/90024104@N08/
"WDW Vet Who Found His New Home in Disneyland"
2014 WDW Christmas - Port Orleans Riverside
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #2287
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds
 
blackjackdelta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: So. Eastern Washington
Posts: 8,436

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Love those Chaisse lounge chairs. Glad you had a good visit. How can you not?

Hijack-Mike where did you rent that wide lens from last year.

Thx,
Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #2288
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure
 
KCmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 8,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
Hijack-Mike where did you rent that wide lens from last year.

Thx,
Jack
Pro Photo Rental

http://www.prophotorental.com/default.asp


They will pay your shipping to and from (nice plus) and the lenses always arrive a day early so you can make sure everything is ok before you take off. They have been absolutely great.
__________________
Follow me on Flickr here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/90024104@N08/
"WDW Vet Who Found His New Home in Disneyland"
2014 WDW Christmas - Port Orleans Riverside
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #2289
disneyfan67


Diehard Cowboy fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,923

I just wanted to say Lisa, thanks for posting the pictures you always do. Whether it's your recent stay at GCH or the DLH, your pictures are helpful in many ways. It's a nice break in the day to see your pictures and I'm literally counting the days until my August trip. I really looking forward to the look on my wife's face when we first arrive at the GCH for check in. She's going to be in for a surprise having not been in DL for 24 years.


Once again, thanks Lisa.
disneyfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #2290
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure
 
KCmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 8,763

Missing one of my favorite "summer places"
__________________
Follow me on Flickr here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/90024104@N08/
"WDW Vet Who Found His New Home in Disneyland"
2014 WDW Christmas - Port Orleans Riverside
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #2291
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds
 
blackjackdelta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: So. Eastern Washington
Posts: 8,436

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Pro Photo Rental

http://www.prophotorental.com/default.asp


They will pay your shipping to and from (nice plus) and the lenses always arrive a day early so you can make sure everything is ok before you take off. They have been absolutely great.

Thanks Mike.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #2292
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds
 
blackjackdelta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: So. Eastern Washington
Posts: 8,436

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan67 View Post
I just wanted to say Lisa, thanks for posting the pictures you always do. Whether it's your recent stay at GCH or the DLH, your pictures are helpful in many ways. It's a nice break in the day to see your pictures and I'm literally counting the days until my August trip. I really looking forward to the look on my wife's face when we first arrive at the GCH for check in. She's going to be in for a surprise having not been in DL for 24 years.


Once again, thanks Lisa.
We have stayed there a few times now and the whole family jaws just drop when you pull up to the entrance booth and they say "welcome home" and you walk inside and see the immense of the Grand and then start to freeze to death.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #2293
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran
 
Nonsuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
...and you walk inside and see the immense of the Grand and then start to freeze to death.
Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #2294
tigerlilly
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Visalia, Ca. usa
Posts: 222

Bunk Bed rooms DTD view :)

Hi Lisa in CA, I am a Lisa in CA too!

Anyway...thank you for posting. I made reservations this week for GCH and asked for DTD view with bunks and was informed they did not have them! Is the fifth floor considered concierge by any chance?

I am just tired of getting a different answer every time I call Disney. We have stayed at GCH a few times always theme park view and every single time I don't get one request in terms of location of view (last year we had a view of a tree lol...but we were facing condor flats)....this year with the price over $500 (tax included) with an AP for a theme park view I decided I would do DTD view...nope....no bunk beds!

So I booked standard and if I get the parking lot I will probably cry since my favorite thing is to sit on the balcony for a few hours every afternoon.

Honestly I don't mind paying for the view I want as long as I know what I am getting is going to be worth over $500

Thanks for any info you might have!
tigerlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #2295
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Missing one of my favorite "summer places"




Love it, miss it, want to go back!
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grand Californian DVC karrit2000 Disney Rumors and News 3 08-23-2007 05:27 PM
Trading Grand Florida for Grand Californian pin smiley76 Virtual Traders Market 1 06-22-2007 03:23 PM
Inspired by which view at Grand Californian hotel thread. Disneyland1084 Disneyland (California) 6 06-06-2007 11:27 PM
I need Narnia, Yeti 3/5, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian Chickysmom Virtual Traders Market 5 02-19-2006 07:25 AM
Grand Californian vs. Grand Floridian tvwalsh Purchasing DVC 16 12-31-2005 09:49 AM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: