Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #2176
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyatlas View Post
my husband just called to request a room with bunkbeds with the complete understanding that it was a request and not a guarantee of any kind. the 'cast member' on the phone was rude and said that we only paid the standard room rate and cannot expect any upgrades. sigh. i get it, i mean i paid the cheapest amount to stay here but i was under the impression that we could at least put in a request without being made to feel like cheap-skates.
We are here, checked in on Sunday. I get the AP rate, but only book standard views because for me, frankly, if it ain't an ocean view, nothing is worth more money haha. Anyway, we also had a standard rate for Halloween. Both times I requested bunk beds (the boys still roll off -- is that weird for kids around five?). This time we got a pool view (we are right above and to the right of Hearthstone Lounge) and last time we had the monorail view.

Weird that the CM gave you hassles about it. They always remind me that it is not guaranteed, but they never tell me I can't do it. Try calling back!
twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #2177
minjo
Mouseketeer

We have booked a standard room. Can I call and request a room with a daybed with two queen beds? There will be four of us. My 18 yr old & 20 yr old would prefer not to sleep in the same bed.
minjo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #2178
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by minjo View Post
We have booked a standard room. Can I call and request a room with a daybed with two queen beds? There will be four of us. My 18 yr old & 20 yr old would prefer not to sleep in the same bed.

You can call and request but that's all it is, a request. Nothing is guaranteed.

Grand Californian Super Thread
Anything you need to know about the GCH can be found here...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2396588

DmaxHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #2179
minjo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxHawk;
You can call and request but that's all it is, a request. Nothing is guaranteed.
Thanks and I understand that it us only a request. Also can you request a room near an elevator?

Planning DLR June 2014/Disneyland - June 2011
- GCH/Disneyland - Dec. 2003/Jan 2004/DLH ConciergSummer 2000
minjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #2180
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minjo View Post
Thanks and I understand that it us only a request. Also can you request a room near an elevator?
You can request a room near an elevator. All the daybed rooms are at the front of hotel, close to the elevators off the main lobby.

Based on recent posts on this threads, parties of 5 are assigned to the the daybed rooms. Also daybed rooms do not have a balcony.

Checking in early will improve your chances of getting a requested room type.
Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #2181
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #2182
Liat
Mouseketeer

We are getting so excited. This will be our first visit to the Grand Californian. My mother has really bad knees so hopefully they will help us out by getting us a room by the elevators.

Any room we get will be awesome though. We are just happy to be staying there.
Liat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #2183
VallCopen
VGC Lover

We had a 2 Queen room with a daybed and it was located right off the elevators looking over the valet, but we got lucky because it was a larger room and did have a balconey. We enjoyed the larger room even though it was a standard view, we still sat on the balc and enjoyed the sights and sounds. We now are spoiled at the VGC and I wouldn't have it any other way.
VallCopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #2184
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #2185
ttfn2u2pooh
Mouseketeer

After a few hours and the thought of putting toothpicks in my eyes to keep them open, I've read this entire thread. and have a couple questions that I don't think I found a clear answer on.

We are staying at GCH in mid September. We have a standard view on the concierge level. I'm trying to figure out this level of the hotel. Are all concierge level rooms in the main building or are there concierge level rooms in all of the buildings? I'm just wondering if I should upgrade our room for a DTD view. We will be there during the weekdays only and have read that the fireworks will not be going on except for the weekend days. But would it still be worth to upgrade just to enjoy the sights? We will have a 3 year old us but have been told that the noise levels are totally fine. The info we have on this level gives us a free breakfast and snacks throughout the day which will be a big help. Is this available in one location only, and if so, where is it? Just wondering if I request an upgrade to DTD, we'll be hiking back and forth way too much (I'll have my 72 year old mom with me as well) to even be worth it. I think this breakfast will help out my family members more than the view of DTD.

Are there daybed rood available on the concierge level? One's with a DTD view? With the 3 year old I'm not sure how I'll be having her sleep. It states that there are cribs in each room but she might be too big if it's one of those pack-n-go type. If our room have 2 Q's I might just have her sleep in my bed but I'm afraid of her rolling right off the bed. Are there 2 Q w/ bunkbeds rooms by chance?

Lastly, from another thread on these boards it was mentioned that I might be able to have groceries delivered to a hotel from a store call Vons. Does anyone know if the GCH will allow me to do this? If so, does anyone know if they will store fridge items for me? We will not have a car with us so I cannot stop by a store before arriving. I read that there is a store within walking distance, but that it is a BIG distance and the thought of lugging a pack of water doesn't sound like too much fun.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. I thought this was going to be an easy little trip but once I started getting into everything it becomes a bit daunting. Still so excited to be going there and staying at such a beautiful location. We booked here thinking it would really help out with taking little breaks during the day.
ttfn2u2pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #2186
nemofans
DIS Veteran

I don't know the answers to all your questions as I haven't stayed at GCH yet, but for your 3 yr old sleeping in your bed, you can request a bed rail. We do this for all our hotel stays. We request 2 Q beds. DH & older DS sleep in 1 bed & I sleep in the other bed w/my 2 yr old. I have a bed rail put on his side of the bed so he can't roll off.

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 49 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #2187
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttfn2u2pooh View Post
After a few hours and the thought of putting toothpicks in my eyes to keep them open, I've read this entire thread. and have a couple questions that I don't think I found a clear answer on.

We are staying at GCH in mid September. We have a standard view on the concierge level. I'm trying to figure out this level of the hotel. Are all concierge level rooms in the main building or are there concierge level rooms in all of the buildings? I'm just wondering if I should upgrade our room for a DTD view. We will be there during the weekdays only and have read that the fireworks will not be going on except for the weekend days. But would it still be worth to upgrade just to enjoy the sights? We will have a 3 year old us but have been told that the noise levels are totally fine. The info we have on this level gives us a free breakfast and snacks throughout the day which will be a big help. Is this available in one location only, and if so, where is it? Just wondering if I request an upgrade to DTD, we'll be hiking back and forth way too much (I'll have my 72 year old mom with me as well) to even be worth it. I think this breakfast will help out my family members more than the view of DTD.

Are there daybed rood available on the concierge level? One's with a DTD view? With the 3 year old I'm not sure how I'll be having her sleep. It states that there are cribs in each room but she might be too big if it's one of those pack-n-go type. If our room have 2 Q's I might just have her sleep in my bed but I'm afraid of her rolling right off the bed. Are there 2 Q w/ bunkbeds rooms by chance?

Lastly, from another thread on these boards it was mentioned that I might be able to have groceries delivered to a hotel from a store call Vons. Does anyone know if the GCH will allow me to do this? If so, does anyone know if they will store fridge items for me? We will not have a car with us so I cannot stop by a store before arriving. I read that there is a store within walking distance, but that it is a BIG distance and the thought of lugging a pack of water doesn't sound like too much fun.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. I thought this was going to be an easy little trip but once I started getting into everything it becomes a bit daunting. Still so excited to be going there and staying at such a beautiful location. We booked here thinking it would really help out with taking little breaks during the day.
I don't know anything about the regular hotel rooms, so I'll let one of our resident experts answer those questions. I do know that GCH will accept your groceries from Vons. I haven't done it yet - but I will on Wednesday!! I've read on here that there are no problems with them storing your groceries. I know that I've read that if you order alcohol you need to be there in person to accept because of the age restrictions. We didn't order any, so I didn't pay too much attention to that info. If you plan to order some, definitely ask about the rules for that.
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #2188
ttfn2u2pooh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
I don't know the answers to all your questions as I haven't stayed at GCH yet, but for your 3 yr old sleeping in your bed, you can request a bed rail. We do this for all our hotel stays. We request 2 Q beds. DH & older DS sleep in 1 bed & I sleep in the other bed w/my 2 yr old. I have a bed rail put on his side of the bed so he can't roll off.
That's a great idea. Anyone know if this is an option to request at GCH?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #2189
ttfn2u2pooh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Princess View Post
I don't know anything about the regular hotel rooms, so I'll let one of our resident experts answer those questions. I do know that GCH will accept your groceries from Vons. I haven't done it yet - but I will on Wednesday!! I've read on here that there are no problems with them storing your groceries. I know that I've read that if you order alcohol you need to be there in person to accept because of the age restrictions. We didn't order any, so I didn't pay too much attention to that info. If you plan to order some, definitely ask about the rules for that.
You know, after 5 days of my mom and a 3 year old by myself I might need a drink or two. However, I don't think alcohol will be on our menu.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #2190
nemofans
DIS Veteran

We've requested bed rails at WDW b4, but haven't for our upcoming GCH trip yet. We will need one though so I hope they do!

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 49 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: