Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #2146
nana50
DIS Veteran

yes, they are the same ones. They've been there since it opened. They were made either in the late 90's.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #2147
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana50 View Post
yes, they are the same ones. They've been there since it opened. They were made either in the late 90's.
That's great! I'll try to get that video up once I finish with finals.

Grand Californian Super Thread
Anything you need to know about the GCH can be found here...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2396588

DmaxHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #2148
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
Do all GC standard rooms have balconies
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
No, we have stayed there 3 times in a standard room, and have never had a balcony. They always seem to put us in the same view--it is of the front entrance/cars parking lot. No balcony.
I'm surprised there are any rooms without a balcony, they are a feature of the hotel. I have stayed in rooms with various views and bed configurations and all had balconies. This includes the front of the hotel, but not a daybed room.
Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #2149
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
I'm surprised there are any rooms without a balcony, they are a feature of the hotel. I have stayed in rooms with various views and bed configurations and all had balconies. This includes the front of the hotel, but not a daybed room.
We did not have a balcony on the daybed room we stayed in last year for 1 night. I am not sure why anyone would want to sit on a balcony overlooking the front entrance.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #2150
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
We did not have a balcony on the daybed room we stayed in last year for 1 night. I am not sure why anyone would want to sit on a balcony overlooking the front entrance.

Jack
I think the day bed rooms are larger than the average. Perhaps they "eat" what would have been the balcony to accommodate the space for the day bed?

Grand Californian Super Thread
Anything you need to know about the GCH can be found here...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2396588

DmaxHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #2151
nana50
DIS Veteran

Here is a picture of my other daughter with her kids "visiting" my daughters bookcase at GCH
Old 05-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #2152
pajamasam21
Earning My Ears

Any ground floor rooms that open to nice outside areas?

A huge WDW fan and just came back from a DL trip (1st time in 8 years) and was pleasantly surprised. I laughed when I heard & saw signs for the Disneyland Resort. But it is fast becoming one indeed.

Okay...now for the question. We always stay at the Poly and book a ground floor room in Tahiti that opens up to the beach. This is great for the kids in the morning. It completely expands the living space and really makes a day at the resort enjoyable for all. Are there any rooms at DGC that might have this feature?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
pajamasam21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #2153
blackjackdelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajamasam21 View Post
A huge WDW fan and just came back from a DL trip (1st time in 8 years) and was pleasantly surprised. I laughed when I heard & saw signs for the Disneyland Resort. But it is fast becoming one indeed.

Okay...now for the question. We always stay at the Poly and book a ground floor room in Tahiti that opens up to the beach. This is great for the kids in the morning. It completely expands the living space and really makes a day at the resort enjoyable for all. Are there any rooms at DGC that might have this feature?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
First of all, welcome. There are no rooms like you describe that I have seen. You can get ground floor at the Villas but they open on to a walkway surround by a fence. Good luck.

Jack
Old 05-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #2154
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We always stay at the Poly and book a ground floor room in Tahiti that opens up to the beach. This is great for the kids in the morning. It completely expands the living space and really makes a day at the resort enjoyable for all. Are there any rooms at DGC that might have this feature?
There were no ground floor rooms before the VGC expansion. A few ground floor hotel rooms were added along with the VGC.

Rooms 1240-1260 (even numbers) face the paradise pier area of DCA with small patios. The patios are separated from a small sidewalk by landscaping.
This video shows the area.

On the pool side of the VGC there are 3 hotel rooms (1503, 1511, 1513) with small patios. There is landscaping around the patios, and a fence prevents direct access to the pools.
Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #2155
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Mark
We were in the HA 1 Br which is on the 1st floor. It had a patio and was right next to one of the pool entrances. I don't think it would really make a good "expanded play area" there was just a walkway and some trees. Noise back there would probably just annoy other guests. It's no where's near the area you would have at the Poly.
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #2156
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
Our rooms had the daybed twice, and one time bunkbed--but no balcony. They all had the same view of the car parking area. We had always booked a "standard" room with the hopes of being upgraded (we did all the usual things trying to get an upgrade--calling ahead with a request, asking politely at the desk, etc...) but were always told there was no upgrade available, as the hotel was fully booked. I think we were placed in the daybed rooms because we are a family of 5.

This trip we are not leaving it to chance, and have booked a downtown disney view, which will gaurantee a balcony for us. I think one reason we have never "loved" the GC (we tend to be more DL Hotel types) is this view thing mixed with the no balcony. I am looking forward to this next trip changing my opinion of this hotel. It will be just me and my girls, so just 3 of us--making the daybed issue something we won't have deal with.

When I looked it up online, it said that 90% of the rooms at the GC have a balcony. We just always seemed to fall into that *lucky* 10 percent that did not.

Last edited by LisainCalifornia; 05-05-2011 at 09:51 AM.
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #2157
nemofans
DIS Veteran

So then DTD & theme park views definitely have balconies?

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 91 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #2158
blackjackdelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
Our rooms had the daybed twice, and one time bunkbed--but no balcony. They all had the same view of the car parking area. We had always booked a "standard" room with the hopes of being upgraded (we did all the usual things trying to get an upgrade--calling ahead with a request, asking politely at the desk, etc...) but were always told there was no upgrade available, as the hotel was fully booked. I think we were placed in the daybed rooms because we are a family of 5.

This trip we are not leaving it to chance, and have booked a downtown disney view, which will gaurantee a balcony for us. I think one reason we have never "loved" the GC (we tend to be more DL Hotel types) is this view thing mixed with the no balcony. I am looking forward to this next trip changing my opinion of this hotel. It will be just me and my girls, so just 3 of us--making the daybed issue something we won't have deal with.

When I looked it up online, it said that 90% of the rooms at the GC have a balcony. We just always seemed to fall into that *lucky* 10 percent that did not.
I am sure you are right about the family size for a daybed. We have stayed at the DLH a few years back and it did not suit us, Residence Inn Maingate a few years(I really like this place for off site) GCH standard room and DTD view which I think I posted a photo of and now renting a 1 bedroom villa which can not be beat for comfort and the wife loves the w & d. The villas can not be beat but I absolutely loved the DTD view. I love watching the fireworks, the people and the night music. May have to do that again if I can rent points are a reasonable rate. Hope you have a great time.

Jack
Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #2159
IUTBAM
DIS Veteran

Do the standard rooms have fridges? Thanks.
IUTBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #2160
blackjackdelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUTBAM View Post
Do the standard rooms have fridges? Thanks.
Yes they do and a small coffee pot. No microwaves.

Jack

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: