Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #1681
meg8182000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatdisney View Post
I have done some searching for hotel rates (I don't have anymore points, besides I keep reading that it would be easier at a hotel closer to the convention center). So I am seriously considering on going. I think my biggest obstacle is DH. I am already going to Tenn next month for a horse event. I think he will be ok with it. I just got to time it right .
I'm glad that some others who actually went to the 09 Expo have come in and given you some advise as I didn't go to the last one. I'm real excited about this year's though. I'm using points to stay at the GCV for a few days prior to the Expo and then moving over to the Hilton for the days at the Expo. The Hilton is right next to the convention center so very convenient.

meg8182000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #1682
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
I asked the wife and that is what she said, so you are probably correct.

I have posted these pdf files before, but in case anyone has missed them:
VGC floorplan (6 pages)
VGC floorplan (1 page)
Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #1683
Yukonjack
Closet DL Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
I asked the wife and that is what she said, so you are probably correct.

Thanks

Jack
Anyone know whether there is a studio with a great view like that? We are checking in early on our first day and I would like to be ready with my requests for room location (knowing that it is far from guaranteed).
Yukonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #1684
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukonjack View Post
Anyone know whether there is a studio with a great view like that? We are checking in early on our first day and I would like to be ready with my requests for room location (knowing that it is far from guaranteed).
Look at the maps that nonsuch posted, we were in 3508(1 bedroom) the smaller blocks on the map are the studios. i think you can reference from there.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #1685
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post

I have posted these pdf files before, but in case anyone has missed them:
VGC floorplan (6 pages)
VGC floorplan (1 page)
Thank you, Nonsuch. Do you mind if I save it to refer to later?

DVC member since 2007; SSR and VGC.

funatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #1686
gweeptrish
Mouseketeer

online checkin at Grand Californian?

I apologize if this is answered else. I've searched the forum using every term I can think on and not found an answer.

Does the Grand Californian have advance on-line checkin?
gweeptrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #1687
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg8182000 View Post
I'm glad that some others who actually went to the 09 Expo have come in and given you some advise as I didn't go to the last one. I'm real excited about this year's though. I'm using points to stay at the GCV for a few days prior to the Expo and then moving over to the Hilton for the days at the Expo. The Hilton is right next to the convention center so very convenient.
Well DH didn't have a problem with it, so I am going!I have narrowed down to two choices: the Hilton or the Marriot. I am going to decide today so I can book a room. I will also buy my ticket.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #1688
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The studios are attached to the 1 bedroom villas, so they share a similar view. I would avoid villas x510, since the view is partially blocked.
6504 would be my first choice.

You might want to email DVC Member Services with your room request.
Give them a list: 6504. 5504, 4504, 3504, 2520, 2504, 5510, 4510, 3510, 2510

I think early checkin helps get a better room, but make it clear to registration that you are willing to wait for a better view.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #1689
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeptrish View Post
I apologize if this is answered else. I've searched the forum using every term I can think on and not found an answer.

Does the Grand Californian have advance on-line checkin?
Not that I have heard of, but I did hear that you can check in via phone on the day of arrival but not before. Really have not been able to validate that though.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #1690
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatdisney View Post
Thank you, Nonsuch. Do you mind if I save it to refer to later?
Of course, you may save the files.
I made them to be shared
Old 01-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #1691
funatdisney

Thank you, nonsuch! They are well done and easy to read. They will come in handy for future visits, which I plan on many many more to come.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #1692
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

We haven't been to the GC since they finished VGC. Looking at Nonsuch's floor layout, did they add a bunch of cash rooms to the VGC wing/building too?

We're in a dedicated 2BR in March. It looks like 3522 would rock!!
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #1693
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
The standard request is Park View, high floor. If you request a specific room number, it might not be available when you check in. Any studio ending in 04 above the third floor has a pretty good view. All the rooms on that side of the building besides the first two floors are great!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #1694
alieila
aka msalice or msalice1

Quote:
Originally Posted by momjkm View Post
I am a WDW nut and the Wilderness Lodge is my 1st choice resort. Has anyone stayed at both the WL and the GC and how do they compare? Going in July... feel like I would be cheating on WL if I stayed at GC lol...
Jill
We are WL freaks and I've booked the GCH! So I can report back in March for you!

To all:

Hubby's 50th Birthday, it's a surprise trip to DL (technically a few days early from it)! I got just a Standard View (Concierge Service), spoiled by WDW WL CL that I had to get this as well! Question, I want this to be a Spectacular trip! So does a CM contact us when you reserve Concierge? I see Mixed reviews on this! Trying to figure out what else I need to do! Last time we were at DL was on Nov 2009 (I know it's on my signature). When I have WL CL I was able to email back and forth with the CL people to make it special for me and my family, but don't see this option for GCH. I'm looking forward to seeing the shock on hubby's face when he realizes what I booked on his birthday! (Luckily he doesn't know I go on these message boards!)

Is there anything else I should plan for the 50th?

It's great to see that people got in early for the Concierge, as we are landing around 9AM in Orange County.
2008, Jun -- Disneyland (Sheraton Park Hotel)
2007, Jul -- Disneyland (Residence Inn Garden Grove)
2006, Aug -- WDW (WL w/Platinum DD)
2003, Aug -- Disneyland (Park Vue Inn)
2001, Mar -- Disneyland (Park Vue Inn) 1995, Feb -- WDW (CBR w/DD)

DH, DS12, Me & DD14 at California Adventure

Last edited by alieila; 01-21-2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Questioning what else I should plan for my hubby's 50th B-Day Surprise.
alieila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #1695
boiseflyfisher
I'm curious, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by alieila View Post
We are WL freaks and I've booked the GCH! So I can report back in March for you!

To all:

Hubby's 50th Birthday, it's a surprise trip to DL (technically a few days early from it)! I got just a Standard View (Concierge Service), spoiled by WDW WL CL that I had to get this as well! Question, I want this to be a Spectacular trip! So does a CM contact us when you reserve Concierge? I see Mixed reviews on this! Trying to figure out what else I need to do! Last time we were at DL was on Nov 2009 (I know it's on my signature). When I have WL CL I was able to email back and forth with the CL people to make it special for me and my family, but don't see this option for GCH. I'm looking forward to seeing the shock on hubby's face when he realizes what I booked on his birthday! (Luckily he doesn't know I go on these message boards!)

Is there anything else I should plan for the 50th?

It's great to see that people got in early for the Concierge, as we are landing around 9AM in Orange County.
DL concierge doesn't seem to offer the services ahead of time like WDW. You won't be contacted by a CM. That said, we love the GCH concierge lounge. You will be able to access the lounge as soon as you check in, even if your room isn't ready. Most likely someone will walk you from the front desk up to the lounge to introduce you to the lounge CMs.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: