Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #1606
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momjkm View Post
I am a WDW nut and the Wilderness Lodge is my 1st choice resort. Has anyone stayed at both the WL and the GC and how do they compare? Going in July... feel like I would be cheating on WL if I stayed at GC lol...
Jill
The lobby at the Grand is smaller, but you will definitely have a feeling of Deja vu. It's been 13 years since I stayed at the WL, but that will change this year! I just put in an offer on a batch of resale points and it went to Disney for ROFR today!

I love them both!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #1607
aristocat65
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momjkm View Post
I am a WDW nut and the Wilderness Lodge is my 1st choice resort. Has anyone stayed at both the WL and the GC and how do they compare? Going in July... feel like I would be cheating on WL if I stayed at GC lol...
Jill
We also LOVE WL and we are staying at GCH for the first time in a month. I have visited the GCH before though and I can tell you they are very similar. As another poster pointed out they were designed by the same architect (along with AKL). I would say the WL is more "rustic" where as the GCH is a little more polished with beautiful craftsman style architecture. We always "visited" the GCH during past trips because it reminded us so much of WL, and I'm so excited to finally stay there.
Disneyland 1976, Disneyland 1979, Disneyland 1989 Anaheim Hilton (honeymoon), Disneyland 1991 Desert Inn and Suites, Disneyland 1999 Hilton Suites, Disneyland 2002 Ayres Anaheim, Disneyland 2004 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2005 Boardwalk Villas, Disneyland 2006 CCI, WDW 2006 Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland 2007 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2008 Coronado Springs, Disneyland 2008 Embassy Suites, WDW August 2009, Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland Feb 2011 Grand Californian, Disneyland Sept 2011, Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland May 2013 Paradise Pier, WDW November 2013 Port Orleans Riverside/Boardwalk Inn
aristocat65 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #1608
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan67 View Post
I'll try and help out, sir.

YC stands for the Yacht Club and has the best pool in all of WDW, Storm Along Bay.
Check out Allears for pictures.

I would guess the most expensive DVC point wise would be the Bay Lake Towers. (The sandwich as some call it). (BLT)

For cash out of your pocket (non DVC) the most expensive deluxe resort can be a toss up between the Grand Floridian club level, MK view in club level at the Polynesian, and the some rooms at the Yacht and Beach Club aren't cheap either. It depends on the views and if you want club level or not. At the Grand Floridian they have two levels of club service and insane pricing.

Jack, with all WDW deluxe hotels, the word "expensive" is heavily implied.
On my one WDW trip I stayed at Beach Club which is a combo resort to Yacht Club,. Really loved it..and Stormalong Bay is great..so is the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. If I ever bought points at WDW again, it would be at Beach Club.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #1609
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
Since I am a DLR person not a WDW person, what is YC and secondly where is the most expensive place to stay at WDW.

Jack
YC is the Yacht Club, and the most expensive hotel at WDW is definitely the Grand Floridian, but it really is something else, especially if you have a concierge room overlooking the marina and can watch the fireworks from your balcony. Have done that once, not sure if I am willing to pay for it again or not.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #1610
two*little*birds
LOL I am the ultimate ride wimp!

Does DGV ever offer PIN's or discounts? I know I get them all the time for WDW, but this would be our first trip to DL.
2010 ~ WINDSOR PALMS (November 4th - 18th)
2011 ~ WYNDHAM BONNET CREEK (October 9th - 23rd)
2012 ~ INDIAN CREEK (October 7th - 21st)
two*little*birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #1611
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Thanks for the advice, I know a lot about DVC, nothing about what would be first or second choice to buy into at DVD, also the cash aspect of what, not being a member, would probably cost to stay there for 6 people. So I am sourcing the WDW boards to get some education. I really do love GCH/DVC villas.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #1612
aristocat65
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if there is a business centre at GCH where I can print boarding passes and check my flights? I may try to change our return flight to a later one (I can do this NC on the departure day apparently). I know there is WiFi in the lobby, but I didn't want to bring my laptop down, and I really don't want to attempt it on my iphone. Most hotels we've stayed have had one with a few computers for this purpose.
Disneyland 1976, Disneyland 1979, Disneyland 1989 Anaheim Hilton (honeymoon), Disneyland 1991 Desert Inn and Suites, Disneyland 1999 Hilton Suites, Disneyland 2002 Ayres Anaheim, Disneyland 2004 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2005 Boardwalk Villas, Disneyland 2006 CCI, WDW 2006 Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland 2007 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2008 Coronado Springs, Disneyland 2008 Embassy Suites, WDW August 2009, Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland Feb 2011 Grand Californian, Disneyland Sept 2011, Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland May 2013 Paradise Pier, WDW November 2013 Port Orleans Riverside/Boardwalk Inn
Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #1613
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

I have used their business center before, but it has been years. It is near the sliding door exit that takes you to Downtown Disney. Just past the convention rooms. I would call the hotel to see if there is any charge and hours of operation. You can call the hotel operator for the GCHr: (714) 635-2300.

DVC member since 2007; SSR and VGC.
funatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #1614
sierranevada
DISDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristocat65 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a business centre at GCH where I can print boarding passes and check my flights? I may try to change our return flight to a later one (I can do this NC on the departure day apparently). I know there is WiFi in the lobby, but I didn't want to bring my laptop down, and I really don't want to attempt it on my iphone. Most hotels we've stayed have had one with a few computers for this purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funatdisney View Post
I have used their business center before, but it has been years. It is near the sliding door exit that takes you to Downtown Disney. Just past the convention rooms. I would call the hotel to see if there is any charge and hours of operation. You can call the hotel operator for the GCHr: (714) 635-2300.
Yes, they do have a business center that I have used for years to print boarding passes with no problems. But in Dec, when I went to do it, they have now outsourced it (Kinko's maybe???) and it is no longer staff with Disney CM's. They now charge for printing boarding passes and the staff was very rude. When my friend and I asked why they were charging, they said we should expect it since we are staying at an expensive hotel!! I wrote a long complaint to the hotel manager. The CM's at the Guest Services desk said they are been other complaints and encouraged me to write - apparently this took hours away from the guest services CM's.

What you can do is check in online and just print your boarding pass at the airport from a kiosk. This is what I will be doing to avoid the business center.

BTW, I have check in online with my iPhone with no problems - printed boarding pass at the airport.

sierranevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #1615
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

Obviously not hired by Disney, judging by their remark. How insultingand disappointing! Glad you wrote a compliant to the manager. Things don't change if no one says anything.

DVC member since 2007; SSR and VGC.
funatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #1616
aristocat65
DIS Veteran

Thanks for everyone's replies. It's disappointing when Disney contracts out services. I wonder if the concierge/guest services would print boarding passes like they do at WDW?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #1617
sierranevada
DISDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristocat65 View Post
Thanks for everyone's replies. It's disappointing when Disney contracts out services. I wonder if the concierge/guest services would print boarding passes like they do at WDW?
I know for sure that concierge in the craftsman lounge would do it. I did not think to ask guest services - by that time I was just irritated at the business center.

sierranevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #1618
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Yes I went to Guest Services yesterday and asked them to print out my boarding passes and they were more than happy to!

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden Lana
Praise2Him is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #1619
Aust
DIS Veteran

I'm just back from an 8 night stay at GCH with my sister and neice - wanted to say we loved it! I want a house that looks like the lobby. And we had a great surprise at check-in - we had booked a standard view room (on the 35% off deal) and my sister asked if there were any other views available - at first the CM said no, no problem we said, and asked if there were any rooms available straight away (it was about 12pm). We'd just got off a 13 hour flight from Sydney and hadn't slept. She checked and found us a room available straight away - when we entered we were blown away by the pool and theme park view (5th floor), it was fantastic!

Only problem is now when I go to DLR again I won't be satisfied with any other hotel! I stayed at the DLH about 3 years ago and was not overly impressed, but I loved GCH.
2007 DLR (DLH)
1991 DL Tokyo
Aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #1620
Dobie
We had a fabulous time
Use them in the evening

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
Since I am a DLR person not a WDW person, what is YC and secondly where is the most expensive place to stay at WDW.

Jack
Hey Jack, hope you enjoyed the sunny skies and 65 degrees today!

Yacht Club is about a 10 minute walk from World Showcase at Epcot. I found it to be similar in "feel," if not in decor, to GCH. Including a hallway that I swear was a mile long. I think the cost was similar, too. You would really like it. I think you should kidnap your family and take them! But not in the summer. They would hate you.
Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: