Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #1576
ykmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
That's a great shot - I can't wait to be there!
ykmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #1577
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
The one bedroom hotel suite only has one bathroom
The one bedroom DVC villa has two bathrooms, which was an important feature to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseflyfisher View Post
It also has a stacking washer/dryer, so we can pack lighter! We will probably never be in the position of wanting to rent out our points. I only wish we had purchased more before it sold out! There still aren't many contracts available for resale.
Yes the one bedroom is, in many ways, better than a suite at the Grand. We immediately saw the monetary value of the DVC one bedroom because of our past experience in a one bedroom suite. And with two teenage girls, that second bathroom is a vacation saver!

I have been able to use my SSR points for a booking VCG, but it is best to book right at the 7th month mark to have the best chance to book the dates I want. In fact, I will be making a reservation next week for a Christmas stay (two bedroom for three nights) and will wait until March to make a reservation for an October stay using my SSR points.

DVC member since 2007; SSR and VGC.

funatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #1578
kailuagirl
DIS Veteran

WoW!! How did we miss this pool when we were there last month? I never saw one with waterslides!! LOL!!! But then again it was kinda too cold to go swimming. Where is this pool at?

[link=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img noborder]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/lhd78u4sn0vmf5ry.png[/img][/link]
kailuagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #1579
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Thanks ykmom.

The pool pictured above with the slides is in the same area with the other two "swimming" pools. There are also two oversized hot tubs. Loved them!

Here is different angle of the same pool shot.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #1580
jimsanfilippo
Mouseketeer

Renting DVC Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana50 View Post
Oh, me too. In theory it sounds like a good deal to rent using someone else DVC points. In practice I can't figure it out. I want to rent or buy some points so I can stay at the hotel, regular room or villa whatever, I don't care. If it is really as cheap as it sounds why doesn't everyone just do that? What am I missing?
Before we became DVC members last year we had rented another DCV member's points for a stay at the Animal Kingdom Villas (found them through this website). We were able to rent for about $9 a point, but most of the time you'll pay around $12.

We saved a TON of money versus what a regular reservation would have cost (4-5 time more) and $9-$12 per point seems like such a great value compared to $120 per point to be a DVC member (through Disney directly). However, if you are going as often as we plan to it becomes less of a great value versus being a member. Also, buying resale is the only way to go to be a member, so paying $120 per point is more like $80 per point (we got lucky and bought 200 points for Boardwalk for only $50 per point).

The bottom line, renting someone else's points IS a very, very good bargain, especially if you are only doing so once in a while. It's probably even a better deal than a DVC membership if you do go often, but finding someone with what you need and going through the contract process would get old fast if you were doing it a lot.
2014 Animal Kingdom Villas, 2013 Pop Century Resort, 2012 Orbit One Villas/Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2012 (Disneyland) HoJo Plaza Hotel Anaheim, 2012 Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 2012 Bay Lake Towers, 2011 (Disneyland) Grand Californian Villas, 2011 Windsor Hills Resort, 2010 (Disneyland) Peacock Suites, 2010 The Palms Hotels & Villas, 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas, 2009 Liki Tiki Village, 2008 Magical Memories Villas, 2006 Coronado Springs/Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2006 Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2005 Wilderness Lodge, 2004 Universal Studios Area Hotel, 2003 Wilderness Lodge, 1997 Wilderness Lodge/Niki Bird, 1991 Small cheap motel, 1990 Small cheap motel, 1981 Orlando Area Campground
jimsanfilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #1581
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

We rented points at $10/point because I wanted to stay in a 1 bedroom villa not being a member. Now we do not want to stay anywhere else. We can only get away once a year so a DVC membership does not spec out to be worth the 50 year contract. So we will try and rent when we can go.
Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #1582
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana50 View Post
Oh, me too. In theory it sounds like a good deal to rent using someone else DVC points. In practice I can't figure it out. I want to rent or buy some points so I can stay at the hotel, regular room or villa whatever, I don't care. If it is really as cheap as it sounds why doesn't everyone just do that? What am I missing?
Hate to say it, but DVC at the Grand has been sold out since October..

Grand Californian Super Thread
Anything you need to know about the GCH can be found here...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2396588

DmaxHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #1583
gweeptrish
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxHawk View Post
Hate to say it, but DVC at the Grand has been sold out since October..
You don't have to have GC points to stay at the GC. I'm staying there this next month on rented Saratoga Springs points.

All that means is that you can't buy new DVC points with GC as your designated home resort & the privs that go with that. You can still buy into DVC and still stay at the GC.
gweeptrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #1584
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeptrish View Post
You don't have to have GC points to stay at the GC. I'm staying there this next month on rented Saratoga Springs points.

All that means is that you can't buy new DVC points with GC as your designated home resort & the privs that go with that. You can still buy into DVC and still stay at the GC.
Yes I realize that, that's why I said DVC at the Grand has sold out

I probably should have done a better job of explaining. Thanks

Anything you need to know about the GCH can be found here...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2396588

Last edited by DmaxHawk; 01-12-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: I B Dum
Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #1585
disneyfan67

Diehard Cowboy fan

Wink

Quote:

I'm sure you know about the resale market, but don't forget that Disney also gets back contracts from members who financed them through Disney and can't afford the monthly payments and fees. It's just like repo man collecting a car from someone who quit making payments. It doesn't hurt to call and see what's available or what coming down the road. In this economy we had for the past 3 years, you can't tell me there hasn't been some DVC foreclosures. FYI, anyone with a pulse can get a DVC contract through Disney because they don't do credit checks, openly tell you this, and you only need a small amount down. Heck they even allow you to put the down payment on a credit card and will recommend this to you, if you don't have the money up front. A lot of people got caught up in buying in and then later realised it's not as affordable as the salesperson makes it out to be.

I was shocked how easy it is to get into and we looked into DVC in 2004 and I'll bet I got a phone call every 7 months or so because they knew I was hooked. I kept telling the salesperson who was in charge of my district and calling me, that I'm saving up and paying in cash. The guy kept telling me now is the time and there was always some incentive that was going away soon and you don't want to miss out.

It took me 6 years, but I finally was able to do it. I'm looking to do an add on later this year and if a GCV comes up say for 60 points or more, I think I may jump on it. You never know when something may turn up.
disneyfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #1586
boiseflyfisher
I'm curious, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan67 View Post
I'm sure you know about the resale market, but don't forget that Disney also gets back contracts from members who financed them through Disney and can't afford the monthly payments and fees. It's just like repo man collecting a car from someone who quit making payments. It doesn't hurt to call and see what's available or what coming down the road. In this economy we had for the past 3 years, you can't tell me there hasn't been some DVC foreclosures. FYI, anyone with a pulse can get a DVC contract through Disney because they don't do credit checks, openly tell you this, and you only need a small amount down. Heck they even allow you to put the down payment on a credit card and will recommend this to you, if you don't have the money up front. A lot of people got caught up in buying in and then later realised it's not as affordable as the salesperson makes it out to be.

I was shocked how easy it is to get into and we looked into DVC in 2004 and I'll bet I got a phone call every 7 months or so because they knew I was hooked. I kept telling the salesperson who was in charge of my district and calling me, that I'm saving up and paying in cash. The guy kept telling me now is the time and there was always some incentive that was going away soon and you don't want to miss out.

It took me 6 years, but I finally was able to do it. I'm looking to do an add on later this year and if a GCV comes up say for 60 points or more, I think I may jump on it. You never know when something may turn up.
The Timeshare Store currently has some listed. I'm glad to see that so far it is holding its own on resale pricing. Hopefully it will be able to do that for a long time since it is such a small DVC resort. That 11 month banking window is nice to have during the more popular times at DL.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #1587
Lynzer Torte
Disneyland Lyndsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan67 View Post

What is the "small amount down" required?

DH & I: 3 sons ages 20, 19 & 6. &
Lynzer Torte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #1588
disneyfan67

Diehard Cowboy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynzer Torte View Post
What is the "small amount down" required?

About $1500 total, give or take for a standard 160 point contract, if I remember correctly. $500 to get the paperwork started.

When the Disney DVC guy at WDW tried to get me to by on the spot in 2004 and finance me, he told me 500 bucks would get the ball rolling and he would take credit cards. I could then come up with the other 1000 in 3 payments if I had to and use a credit card for that too, if needed. He called back several times in the following years saying the same thing. I found it to quite scary how easy it was to buy and I wisely decided to wait and save up to purchase it in cash. We finally became owners in 2010 and I haven't regretted since.
disneyfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #1589
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:

..but I'm sure they will get some to sell...my friend talked to a guide on a cruise in November and he said, yes, it was sold out but they still get points to sell (ROFR, defaults, etc., I'm sure)
Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #1590
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
..but I'm sure they will get some to sell...my friend talked to a guide on a cruise in November and he said, yes, it was sold out but they still get points to sell (ROFR, defaults, etc., I'm sure)
Correct,
The press release said that if you want to buy points for the Grand, you will be put on a waiting list. I'm assuming this is what the wait is for.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: