Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #1561
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynzer Torte View Post
Any tips on how to get a complimentary room upgrade (besides just a wink and a smile)?

No one has tips for me?

Also, have we been able to figure out the accomodations codes? Ours says CH S5/1.
good luck with that! We have gone to Disneyland about 3 times a year (typically staying at Grand California or Disneyland Hotel) for the last 10 years--and we have never gotten an upgrade unless we pay for it. I think if you go at a time of the year (off season) that is slow, then you may get an upgrade, but most of the time you get what you pay for. If you pay for the upgrades (view or whatever)--then you get it. If you don't pay for it, then don't expect it.

Last edited by LisainCalifornia; 01-10-2011 at 09:06 AM.
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #1562
Lynzer Torte
Disneyland Lyndsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post

good luck with that! We have gone to Disneyland about 3 times a year (typically staying at Grand California or Disneyland Hotel) for the last 10 years--and we have never gotten an upgrade unless we pay for it. I think if you go at a time of the year (off season) that is slow, then you may get an upgrade, but most of the time you get what you pay for. If you pay for the upgrades (view or whatever)--then you get it. If you don't pay for it, then don't expect it.
Yeah, we're not expecting it. We've always paid for upper pool view at DLH and have always received just that. We're checking in early (around 11 am) on a Thurs. so hopefully that will be in our favor.

DH & I: 3 sons ages 20, 19 & 6. &
Lynzer Torte is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #1563
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynzer Torte View Post
Yeah, we're not expecting it. We've always paid for upper pool view at DLH and have always received just that. We're checking in early (around 11 am) on a Thurs. so hopefully that will be in our favor.
Hopefully you will get it! Most of the time we pay for the upgrade at the Disneyland Hotel as well--but the last few times we have stayed at the Grand we have just booked a standard...and well, that is what we got! I am always hopeful, but it just doesn't seem to happen. We are always happy and polite checking in, and we check in very early (like 8:00 am), but I think they have the rooms all planned out before you even get there. If there are a certain percentage open (like in off season or when not busy)--I think that is when they put you in a better room.
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #1564
bluecruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatdisney View Post
If you can manage it, try to take the tour they have of the hotel. I think it is called the "Art of Craft Tour" (someone please correct me here). It is free for guests of the Californian Grand. You will tour the hotel with a CM that will explain the design of the hotel as well as give interesting facts about it.
Just noticed a new video posted on the DisneyParks YouTube account today: Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #1565
two*little*birds
LOL I am the ultimate ride wimp!

Has anyone ever rented DVC points for a DGC villa? Not sure where to start, and to be honest I find the DVC forum here very confusing.
2010 ~ WINDSOR PALMS (November 4th - 18th)
2011 ~ WYNDHAM BONNET CREEK (October 9th - 23rd)
2012 ~ INDIAN CREEK (October 7th - 21st)
2015 ~ VOW RENEWAL (TBD)
two*little*birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #1566
nana50
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by two*little*birds View Post
Has anyone ever rented DVC points for a DGC villa? Not sure where to start, and to be honest I find the DVC forum here very confusing.
Oh, me too. In theory it sounds like a good deal to rent using someone else DVC points. In practice I can't figure it out. I want to rent or buy some points so I can stay at the hotel, regular room or villa whatever, I don't care. If it is really as cheap as it sounds why doesn't everyone just do that? What am I missing?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #1567
CrazyDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know right... Plus the people over there are all weirdos!
CrazyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #1568
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am a DVC owner and have not rented, but take a look at David's Disney Vacation Club Points Rental for some useful information.

DVC reservations must be made far in advance, and there are restrictions to rescheduling.
Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #1569
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecruiser View Post
Just noticed a new video posted on the DisneyParks YouTube account today: Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Thank you, bluecruiser! I really enjoyed watching it and now I am really looking forward to going on the tour this summer!

DVC member since 2007; SSR and VGC.

funatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #1570
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana50 View Post
Oh, me too. In theory it sounds like a good deal to rent using someone else DVC points. In practice I can't figure it out. I want to rent or buy some points so I can stay at the hotel, regular room or villa whatever, I don't care. If it is really as cheap as it sounds why doesn't everyone just do that? What am I missing?
I have rented my VGC points here at the DVC boards. Before I became a member, I have rented points from a DVC member to give DVC a try at WDW. There are advantages to renting a villa through a member. One big one is cost. Depending on the dollar per point, one can save a large percentage off the rack rate. The one bedrooms are larger than the hotel rooms and can often can be rented for a little over the booking cost of a hotel room. (I have never stayed in a studio, but will for the first time next month.) This depends on the money one pays per point, the day of the week (the Villas require more points during the weekend for the same type of room), the time of year, and if Disney has a special going on. When staying at a DVC Villa, we do not pay resorts fees or taxes, since it is a timeshare ownership. the renter wouldn't either. You can get more bang for your buck.

For example: I just check the cost for a booking at the GCH for June 17 (Friday) to June 19 (Sunday) vs a DVC one bedroom Villa.

The DVC one bedroom required the use of 96 points. At the cost of $10/point, this rental would cost the renter $960.

For a standard room at the hotel: $890.00
Downtown room: $990.00
Theme park view: $1040.00

The one bedroom DVC room has a living room, full kitchen, two batrooms, and a master room. They are similar to a suite (we stayed in one before), but the suite does not have a kitchen.

There is a cautionary side to renting as well. The renters and members do take on a risk with this kind of transaction since it is based on trust. The renter loses the flexibility a booking has through Disney. The member retains control of the reservation. If a renter wants to change anything on the reservation, they can not do it themselves, and are dependent on the member to do it for them. As nonsuch states, DVC reservations must be made far in advance, and there are restrictions to rescheduling. Many times, the member will require a 50% payment which is not refundable once a reservation is made. The member risks not receiving the full payment and losing the use of their points if the renter backs out at the last minute (one of the reasons for the 50% payment upfront). Or the renter trashes the room and the member is stuck with the bill.

After all this, you can see why it can be complicated, but there are many successful vacations done this way.

Best to do your homework. In the beginning, I followed some of the rent/trade threads to get the hang of it. I have never used David's Disney Vacation Club points rental service. Although, I have read good reviews on his service here on the Boards.

I am sure others will clarify or add to my explanation. I may have missed something.

I no longer rent out my points. My last renter just left today for a week stay at BWV in WDW. I now use all my points at the Grand Californian.

DVC member since 2007; SSR and VGC.

funatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #1571
Yukonjack
Closet DL Freak

My wife and I are renting from David's Vacation Club for the first time in February. We rented enough points to stay in a studio at the GCH. We paid our full amount (about $13 per point) to David's, who then brokered the deal through another member(s) who were looking to rent their points. As I understand it, David's only pays half the amount to the member until the reservation date, and then pays them the remainder. This ensures that the member stays in good standing and that they do not cancel the reservation on the renter. I have heard great things about his service and hope that it all works out well.

Greg
Yukonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #1572
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatdisney View Post
The one bedroom DVC room has a living room, full kitchen, two batrooms, and a master room. They are similar to a suite (we stayed in one before), but the suite does not have a kitchen.
The one bedroom hotel suite only has one bathroom
The one bedroom DVC villa has two bathrooms, which was an important feature to me
Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #1573
boiseflyfisher
I'm curious, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
The one bedroom hotel suite only has one bathroom
The one bedroom DVC villa has two bathrooms, which was an important feature to me
It also has a stacking washer/dryer, so we can pack lighter! We will probably never be in the position of wanting to rent out our points. I only wish we had purchased more before it sold out! There still aren't many contracts available for resale.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #1574
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

We were toying with the idea of renting some of our points (we own at two, soon to be three properties) and using the money that we made to go on a cruise, but at $10 per point, we wouldn't even make enough money for the size stateroom we wanted when using points we could easily trade out.

We have either plenty of VGC points or not enough depending on whether or not they bring back the F&W Festival. I bought the points so we could stay several weekends during that time of year. Now without it we are going to be banking a lot of our VGC points this year and probably using them at WDW in 2012.

The hardest thing about the VGC is getting in once the 7 month booking window has opened. Some people have no problem (depending on the time of year), but Christmas Holidays & Spring Break, you better book at 11 months!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #1575
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: