Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #76
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieJ View Post
Any suggestions for the Disney Dining Plan for adults who are not interested in a scream-fest with kids?

I'm seeing mixed reviews on Cat Cora's restaurant.....anyone been?

What about Raglan Road??? We were thinking about hitting that after Cirque du Soleil.

We love Boma, and yes, there will be kids, but if I immerse myself in food, I can zone out the noise!! LOL

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike kiddos, but mine are all grown up, and for what it cost me to fly to Orlando from Northern New England, I really am trying to plan for an adult-friendly week.

so..I welcome your suggestions! Thanks, PammieJ.
Ragalan Road is great. If they still have bread pudding on the menu for dessert don't miss it!!

Paradiso 37 @ DTD would be another nice choice. We had a lovely supper there on the deck.

I think outside the parks & resorts you may see fewer kids. I don't know that parents would drag their kids too far out of the way for a meal? They are probably going w/more convenient locations.

Honestly - we've rarely had problems w/kids... at least not any more than we see here at home when dining @ WDW in the nicer restaurants. You may want to, as others have mentioned, consider later meals. But other than that I'd say just go w/what you want and worse comes to worst you can always ask to be moved to another table/section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDizneyluver View Post
in the evening Raglan Road would be a good choice! We stopped in there for drinks one night around 9:00 and it was not crowded nor were there any kids.
Love Ragalan Road (yes I'm repeating myself... but worth the stop).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKat View Post
I am going to come right out and admit I don't like kids. Sorry. I can tolerate a well-behaved child or two, but not much more.
You don't have to say "sorry".... at least not here.
I can sympathize w/you. 99% of kids just grate on my nerves. I do okay w/my nieces & nephews, but I also find that as they get older they become much more interesting. Babies & Toddlers are just plain boring.

Quote:
I am going with 6 women from the WISH boards. We are all doing the Princess Half Marathon together on March 7th.
Good For You & good luck on the Marathon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS10420 View Post
I'm still waiting for my new car to be delivered, 3 weeks is getting a little silly, hopefully soon.
Want to see pix when the car comes in.... Now if only there were a way you could share that new car smell over the internet!

I'm off shortly for a library meeting. Going to be quick -- lots of folks are staying home for the weather. We have about 1 1/2 inches of snow but the roads are clear. People just seem to freak out over every little flake.

So DH has a phone interview tomorrow, and I have a call into an old boss where I used to work about another job. And, to make it more exciting we've started looking in the Durham & Raleigh, NC area. There just isn't much up here & for every job there are sooo many people applying. The market down there seems a bit better (at least there are more listings). It took me a while to emotionally get to a good place w/the idea, but I'm getting there. And I have to confess the idea of it being an average of 10 to 15 degees warmer there makes it a bit easier to adjust to the idea of a possible move. So we will see...

Everyone have a great night... and if you are getting this snow, be safe.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #77
Shyvioletisme
So I have a doppleganger running around out there with a kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS10420 View Post
Hey Everyone!!

About a month ago a friend turned me on to the Sookie Stackhouse books and I have been reading like crazy,
Don't you just love them???!!!! I can't wait until the next book comes out in May...AND Charlaine Harris is doing a signing at a Borders in Dallas May 15, so we are definitely going and buying the book then!!

WDW: last trip:
Oct/Nov 2005 CBR for Honeymoon
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67045761@N00/
Shyvioletisme is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #78
KRIS10420
Mickey Mouse obsessed
I couldn't think of a better way to spend such a special occasion
He played along and actually had a good time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvioletisme View Post
Don't you just love them???!!!! I can't wait until the next book comes out in May...AND Charlaine Harris is doing a signing at a Borders in Dallas May 15, so we are definitely going and buying the book then!!
I do love them, my only gripe is how every book she recaps from the previous books, it would be better if one book just started where the last one left off, kind of like how the Twilight series did. I just bought Dead and Gone yesterday in hardcover, the clerks says that it will be in paperback March 30th but nope can't wait that long. I really like the tv series as it tells more than just Sookie's side. I was really shocked to find out that almost the whole 1st season was from the first book, at that rate we have many more seasons to look forward to
DH Me Kelso Bodie

2012 - november, Disneyland with a 1st timer friend
2009 - november, Disneyland solo
2006 - september, WDW-POP Resort with DH
2004 - november, Disneyland with DH & MIL
1997 - september, Disneyland - girlfriend roadtrip
1986 - april, Disneyland with family
KRIS10420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #79
EvilQueenT
DIS Veteran

i have two adult children 20,26 and one granddaughter 5 and as much as I love going with them I LOVE disney without them! My last trip was my sister and myself... we called it our evil sisters only family reunion 2009 because we took some grief about going without anyone else just before christmas. she's the only one who can keep my disney pace... i.e., we can do disney hard (up early and out til the crack of dawn and do it again each day). my husband was also skeptical in the past about disney without kids but make it a second honeymoon (wink wink) and throw in great dining reservations and it's magical. he tells all his friends if they don't have a good time they're not doing it right.
EvilQueenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #80
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

Cheryl, I would be SOOO happy if you moved here!!

You forgot one other perk... 8.5 hour drive to WDW!

I am so sorry I haven't been more proactive. I have been so busy this past week that I can barely breathe. I think I was home for about 5 hours this past weekend that wasn't sleeping, and then Mondays I have choir practice (did I mention I auditioned for, made, and joined a choir?), and last night was more hockey.

Tonight and tomorrow night are *breathe* nights.

Hope everyone is having a great day!!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #81
PammieJ
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We've decided to definitely try Raglan Road and Kouzzina, but based on some other feedback, we're going to skip the Sci Fi Theatre in favor of a repeat trip to Coral Reef. We tend to eat later in the evening, so when I make my reservations next week, I'll stick to that plan!

This is my fourth trip (DH's third) and we can see ourselves visiting annually!

I'm really enjoying this discussion board; I don't think you can get too much of Disney!
PammieJ June 2007 POR--Sam's Graduation November 2007 CSR--Conference September 2009 POFQ 25th Anniversary September 2010 POFQ November 2010 CSR--Conference January 2011FW Cabins--"Irene Fights Like a Girl" September 2011--CBR--Me & Hubby April 2012 American Academy of Professional Coders Conference
PammieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #82
Tinker_
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We've decided to definitely try Raglan Road and Kouzzina, but based on some other feedback, we're going to skip the Sci Fi Theatre in favor of a repeat trip to Coral Reef. We tend to eat later in the evening, so when I make my reservations next week, I'll stick to that plan!

I'm really enjoying this discussion board; I don't think you can get too much of Disney!
Eeesh- I made ressies yesterday, and was surprised how fast things had booked up! This is kind of a last minute planning for us (since we usually do it a year out not 4 months out). Chef Mickeys was totally booked the entire week! We did snag the last ressie available at Brown Derby! Which is great, bc we are going the opening day of Star Wars weekend, and when you eat there you get special seating at Fantasmic (aka.. dont have to fight the ridiculous crowd).
Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #83
Tinker_
DIS Veteran

Awww- Tiff that is a cute picture of you and Duddy in your siggy, I haven't seen that one before!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #84
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Subscribing. We are CF
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #85
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Cheryl, I would be SOOO happy if you moved here!!

You forgot one other perk... 8.5 hour drive to WDW!

I am so sorry I haven't been more proactive. I have been so busy this past week that I can barely breathe. I think I was home for about 5 hours this past weekend that wasn't sleeping, and then Mondays I have choir practice (did I mention I auditioned for, made, and joined a choir?), and last night was more hockey.

Tonight and tomorrow night are *breathe* nights.

Hope everyone is having a great day!!
Don't sweat it... everyone is busy. I appriciate any help! He sent off a resume yesterday after talking w/folks at the Career place about how to word the cover letter. Being from MA we don't want to have folks toss it thinking it was a mistake or blind application.

Part of me would love to be somewhere warmer. The other part of me is terrified by the mountain of work a move would be. Honestly, we are pursuing both & I've put it out there for the fates to decide. As they say... 'what is meant to be will be'.

Good for you on the choir. Is this a symphony thing? Community group? Church choir? And what are you -- soprano, tenor, etc?

Quote:

One that I thought of to keep off the list would be Teppan Edo (sp?). If you want quiet & kid free, that is not the place to go. They have big, 8-seater family style tables. It is a great show. The chefs area amazing, but you will be sitting w/other folks, and as a party of two the odds of having a family of 4 or 5 is pretty high.

You may also want to think about the more exotic restaurants (Restaurant Marrakesh for example). I think a lot of people avoid those types of places. They are not very adventerous so stick to things they know. Which is probably why they almost always have walk up tables available. But fewer people means fewer kids running around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker_ View Post
Eeesh- I made ressies yesterday, and was surprised how fast things had booked up! This is kind of a last minute planning for us (since we usually do it a year out not 4 months out). Chef Mickeys was totally booked the entire week! We did snag the last ressie available at Brown Derby! Which is great, bc we are going the opening day of Star Wars weekend, and when you eat there you get special seating at Fantasmic (aka.. dont have to fight the ridiculous crowd).
If you want an ADR that you didn't get, have the concierge at your resort or someone at guest services in the park check for you. I think closer in people change their minds & cancel, plus despite what they say I think WDW holds some out for the guest services folks only. We've snagged some awesome ADRs same day through guest services that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Subscribing. We are CF
Welcome!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #86
Tinker_
DIS Veteran

TYSM! We will try that with CM.. I booked CRT instead, but we were hoping to try some new places this year. We go back for our honeymoon in Oct, so I am loving hearing all of the dining suggestions!

My DS is actually anti social (like mother like son), lol- so for him, a place to eat where there are no other noisy kids is ideal (which is why we booked Brown Derby)- he says other kids are too loud and make him nervous! He is like a 70 year old man in a 3 year olds body! ROTFLMAO.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #87
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

It's a community choir. I am a 1st soprano.

I sent you an email.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #88
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Thanks for the welcome, although, there are lots of people here who are not CF. CF = chooses not to breed. LOL.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #89
Shyvioletisme
So I have a doppleganger running around out there with a kid

Quote:
Awww- Tiff that is a cute picture of you and Duddy in your siggy, I haven't seen that one before!
thanks it is from our honeymoon!

Quote:
My DS is actually anti social (like mother like son), lol- so for him, a place to eat where there are no other noisy kids is ideal (which is why we booked Brown Derby)- he says other kids are too loud and make him nervous! He is like a 70 year old man in a 3 year olds body! ROTFLMAO.
lol. that was totally me as a little kid I always complained that other kids were too loud and obnoxious..lol.

WDW: last trip:
Oct/Nov 2005 CBR for Honeymoon
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67045761@N00/
Shyvioletisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #90
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvioletisme View Post
lol. that was totally me as a little kid I always complained that other kids were too loud and obnoxious..lol.
Me, too!

When I was 8 I got my tonsils taken out. I was so happy that I didn't have to go out and play with the other kids that I milked it for 3 weeks.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: