Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
bellaprincess98
Mouseketeer

Unhappy Getting thrown off the plane because your fat!

I just saw an article about the actor/director Keven Smith getting kicked off a soutwest flight because he was too fat. I am shocked! How humiliating! I feel so bad for him. He was saying in the article that he knows that he is big but he wonders why they waited until he had already boarded the plane, put his bag in the overhead compartment, and sat down before they told him to get out!

Now I'm overweight and this makes me scared. How heavy do you have to be to have something like this happen to you?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaprincess98 View Post
i just saw an article about the actor/director keven smith getting kicked off a soutwest flight because he was too fat. I am shocked! How humiliating! I feel so bad for him. He was saying in the article that he knows that he is big but he wonders why they waited until he had already boarded the plane, put his bag in the overhead compartment, and sat down before they told him to get out!

Now i'm overweight and this makes me scared. How heavy do you have to be to have something like this happen to you?
wow!

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Stinks for him but this is wrong forum for this topic.

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013; Nov 2014!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

I would be willing to bet that it wasn't that cut and dry.
If he is big enough to require 2 seats and doesn't want to buy the scond seat...well..what if the plane is full?
Do you require 2 seats? If not I wouldn't worry about it.

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
Old 02-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

If no other person complained about his (voluntary or involuntary) behavior until near departure then chances are none of the flight crew noticed him until then.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
swald91
DIS Veteran

This was posted yesterday on the community board here & apparently he did purchase 2 seats-something happened with his flight (not sure why he changed it or he was on a stand-by with only 1 seat available) I guess the pilot came out & because he was the last to be seated (1 seat) and was told he had to get off-got another flight- his original & $100...I guess he really didn't lose anything-but I would be totally humiliated myself!

Grand Floridian first time in November!
Polynesian(CL) Dixie Landings & Wilderness Lodge
>>>> BEGIN SHAMROCK IMG CODE <<<<

<<<< END SHAMROCK IMG CODE >>>>>
Thanks BCV23!!!! (And MsStinkerbelle for your help!!)
Old 02-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

If he needed 2 seats he shouldn't have went on a plane with only 1 seat available, he knew he counted as 2 people. It would be like me and my DD flying and they only had one seat available on a standby and I grabbed it and then tried to take her on also saying she can sit on my lap!!! No different.

I don't know if on the larger planes they get a weight but on the smaller planes they will often have to rearrange people due to weight distribution, could it have been something like that and it wasn't till they notified the pilot that they went looking? Or maybe the person next to him rightly complained and then it was acted on.

I don't think SW should have paid him anything, this makes me angry-cutting into their narrow profit margin which will lead to my flights costing more to pay off someone who shouldn't have got on a plane with only 1 seat when they needed 2.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

I found the article he said he was seated with his arm rests down when he got kicked off. Someone was having a power trip there if that is true.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
avahoneybee
Mouseketeer

I haven't seen him in a while but he wasn't obese (just a tad chunky). He must have put on quite a deal of weight.

ETA - I just googled and saw a recent pic and he does not look obese to me.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
annette20071
Mouseketeer

I don't know. I also read that he was in the seat, had the arm rests down, and was buckled in when they asked him to deboard. Apparently that is the standard for requiring 2 seats. If you can't get buckled and have the arm rests down then you must purchase a second ticket. Apparently he was able to do this and they still asked him to deboard. What angers me is that they obviously did not know who he was. Now that he has made a big deal about it publicly - which he can because of who he is - they have apologized numerous times. However, if it was any other person, they probably would not have gotten an apology.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
ckey
Earning My Ears

If he was so humiliated, why did he "tweet" about it and broadcast it to the world?? He said he knows SW policy, and usually buys the 2 seats required for "Customers of Size". In fact, on his original flight he had purchased the 2 seats. He requested to fly standby on an earlier flight, and apparently there was only 1 seat available.

Would you want to sit next to someone who took up a portion of your measley 17 inches of seat space??
Old 02-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

I will say that you can still encroach onto the next seat a lot even if you can get the arm rests down, depending on the weight distribution.

I wasn't there and didn't see it but do know you can take up a lot of the next seat even with the arm rests down and that isn't fair to the next person.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

In Southwest's Defense...

To get right to the "bottom line," they have never backed away from enforcing their "People of Size" policy -- if someone won't fit in a single seat, they have to buy two.

I'm not a small person -- I fill my available seat space -- but I agree with Southwest (and I believe I speak for those who good-naturedly share a third of their seat with other passengers as well) that if someone is twice as large as the average person, they should plan on buying two seats. Southwest's seats are 19 inches wide. If someone is wider than that sitting down -- and that should NOT be a surprise -- they should be prepared to pay.

My experience has been that if there's an open seat next to a "person of size," Southwest doesn't force the issue. But if there are no open seats, they'll enforce it in a heartbeat. I suppose their reasoning is that they'd rather upset one person than two others. And the A&E series "Airline" shows how vigilantly they enforce all their other policies, including their prohibition against intoxicated or otherwise impaired passengers flying.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
PSUGuy
Bill From PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckey View Post
Would you want to sit next to someone who took up a portion of your measley 17 inches of seat space??
This is the overriding point. This guy may or may not have deserved to be removed, apparently he fit in 'his' space. But we all pay dearly for our 17.2 inches of seat width, and this includes the column of space extending from the seat itself to the ceiling. If a fellow passenger 'spills' into this area, they're stealing from me, plain and simple.

Bill From PA

Old 02-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
jpolak
DIS Veteran

He did purchase two seats as he said(tweeted) he always does when he flies on SWA. He decided to fly standby on an earlier flight where I guess he couldn't purchase two seats. SWA did apologize and offered him a $100 voucher. Still don't understand why OP decided a board that Discusses all things Disney is the appropriate place for this topic. Now had Kevin Smith been kicked off Dumbo thats a different story.
7/77-Fort Wilderness Campground, 10/96-All Star Sports, 6/98-Dixie Landings, 6/99-All Star Movies, 8/01-Port Orleans FQ, 4/04-Pop Century, 10/05-Beach Club Villas, 8/06-Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, 2/07- Saratoga Springs, 9/07- Boardwalk Villas, 2/09 Old Key West, 12/09 Boardwalk Villas,8/11 Bay Lake Tower,8/12 Bay Lake Tower,8/13 Bay Lake Tower
MeDWDDDS DD
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: