Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Cherbear013
Bear
 
Cherbear013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 450

So I hit my toenail...

and now its bleeding and the top seems to be loose but I think the bottom is still attached. I couldn't look too much because I was getting dizzy and lightheaded looking at it. I put a Band aid on it and some athletic tape to hold it. Is this alright and will it just heal on its own? I have ice on it as well because it hurts! Any other thoughts? TIA!
__________________
March 1992 - Polynesian
March 1993 - Big Red Boat
March 1994 - Contemporary
March 1996 - Polynesian
March 1999 - Port Orleans
June 2001 - Peabody
August 2007 - Pop Century
June & September 2008 - Pop Century
January 2012 - Disneyland







(Me 27) (DH 32) (5 months)
_____________________________________________
Cherbear013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!
 
momrek06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 22,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherbear013 View Post
and now its bleeding and the top seems to be loose but I think the bottom is still attached. I couldn't look too much because I was getting dizzy and lightheaded looking at it. I put a Band aid on it and some athletic tape to hold it. Is this alright and will it just heal on its own? I have ice on it as well because it hurts! Any other thoughts? TIA!
Ok, my thoughts....call a podiatrist and have it looked at.
Very important as you want to make sure it heals properly as well as avoid any infections.
__________________





KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
ncmickeyluvr
darn. I really like being right...maybe next time
What? You don't think shivering is exercise?
 
ncmickeyluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,732

I had an unfortunate accident in November trying to move a washing machine while wearing flip flops. I don't recommend it, btw. I pulled up the nail on my big toe....but it stayed attached. It was a bloody mess and I seriously thought I was going to pass out! I called the doctor and he said to just watch it for infection....he wouldn't do anything unless it got infected. It ended up being fine. Hurt like crazy for a week or so. Right now it looks darker than the other nail....like dark pink on the nail bed instead of light pink...but otherwise fine. I washed it out really well with betadine 3 or 4 times a day and kept it cover for a week or so.
__________________
Me , DH41 , DD13, DS11 and baby makes 5....coming January 2013!


Baby's First Birthday trip at Pop January 2014
Quick trip to Pop Century! October 2012
Port Orleans French Quarter November 2011 DD's 12th Birthday and first MVMCP!
Port Orleans French Quarter September 2010
Port Orleans French Quarter September 2009 Bounceback w/ Free Dining!
Port Orleans French Quarter October 2008
All Star Music November 2006
ncmickeyluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!
 
JessicaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 15,825

Do you think you may have broke your toe too? ICE is good. elevation is good and taping it to the toe next to it for stability is helpful sometimes, just have to try. Likely your normal shoe won't fit or be walkable. Really it depends on the damage you did. I can say for sure the healing process is slow.

I hope you feel some relief quickly.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Cherbear013
Bear
 
Cherbear013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickeyluvr View Post
I had an unfortunate accident in November trying to move a washing machine while wearing flip flops. I don't recommend it, btw. I pulled up the nail on my big toe....but it stayed attached. It was a bloody mess and I seriously thought I was going to pass out! I called the doctor and he said to just watch it for infection....he wouldn't do anything unless it got infected. It ended up being fine. Hurt like crazy for a week or so. Right now it looks darker than the other nail....like dark pink on the nail bed instead of light pink...but otherwise fine. I washed it out really well with betadine 3 or 4 times a day and kept it cover for a week or so.
This makes me feel so much better!! I was moving a big bookcase without shoes (stupid idea). Mine pulled up but seems it is still attached. I had a heck of a time sleeping last night as I kept thinking about and worrying that my dogs would kick it. Plus it was throbbing like crazy. It seems the skin underneath is starting t odry up maybe and it feels tight to bend my toe. Did you have that? I feel like I should keep stretching it but it hurts so dang much. Hopefully it stays on and I don't lose it since my wedding is in 5 months!! Thanks for everyone's help!
__________________
March 1992 - Polynesian
March 1993 - Big Red Boat
March 1994 - Contemporary
March 1996 - Polynesian
March 1999 - Port Orleans
June 2001 - Peabody
August 2007 - Pop Century
June & September 2008 - Pop Century
January 2012 - Disneyland







(Me 27) (DH 32) (5 months)
_____________________________________________
Cherbear013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
ncmickeyluvr
darn. I really like being right...maybe next time
What? You don't think shivering is exercise?
 
ncmickeyluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherbear013 View Post
This makes me feel so much better!! I was moving a big bookcase without shoes (stupid idea). Mine pulled up but seems it is still attached. I had a heck of a time sleeping last night as I kept thinking about and worrying that my dogs would kick it. Plus it was throbbing like crazy. It seems the skin underneath is starting t odry up maybe and it feels tight to bend my toe. Did you have that? I feel like I should keep stretching it but it hurts so dang much. Hopefully it stays on and I don't lose it since my wedding is in 5 months!! Thanks for everyone's help!
It sounds almost exactly how mine felt. It was horrible...almost like a toothache pain, if that makes any sense....for about a week. I think it was almost 2 weeks before I could even wear tennis shoes.

In case it does come off, this may make you feel a little better. I have a friend who is an avid runner and for some reason her toenails starting coming off......I forget what the problem was but she saw a podiatrist. Anyway, she has artificial toenails put on at the nail salon. I think they use tips and acrylic just like finger nails! So don't stress....you can still have pretty feet at your wedding!

Hope you feel better soon. Watch out for infection. My husband said that they would drill a whole in my nail to alleviate the pressure if it got infected....I'm not for sure if he was just messing with me or not but I made extra sure to keep it nice and clean
__________________
Me , DH41 , DD13, DS11 and baby makes 5....coming January 2013!


Baby's First Birthday trip at Pop January 2014
Quick trip to Pop Century! October 2012
Port Orleans French Quarter November 2011 DD's 12th Birthday and first MVMCP!
Port Orleans French Quarter September 2010
Port Orleans French Quarter September 2009 Bounceback w/ Free Dining!
Port Orleans French Quarter October 2008
All Star Music November 2006
ncmickeyluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
SAHDad
DIS Veteran
 
SAHDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickeyluvr View Post
It sounds almost exactly how mine felt. It was horrible...almost like a toothache pain, if that makes any sense....for about a week. I think it was almost 2 weeks before I could even wear tennis shoes.

In case it does come off, this may make you feel a little better. I have a friend who is an avid runner and for some reason her toenails starting coming off......I forget what the problem was but she saw a podiatrist. Anyway, she has artificial toenails put on at the nail salon. I think they use tips and acrylic just like finger nails! So don't stress....you can still have pretty feet at your wedding!

Hope you feel better soon. Watch out for infection. My husband said that they would drill a whole in my nail to alleviate the pressure if it got infected....I'm not for sure if he was just messing with me or not but I made extra sure to keep it nice and clean
Runners can get black toenails - it can be caused by poorly fitting shoes, running long distances downhill, etc. And yes, toenails can fall off. (Right now, I think I am missing four. But I'm a guy, so it's no big deal.) I did not know about the artificial toenails, but I suspect a salon would have them - they are probably not something you will easily find commercially available, however.

And yes, they do drill holes in toenails to relieve pressure from blisters or infection. (A podiatrist or a doctor can do this - it's not generally something I would recommend doing for yourself.)

See a podiatrist, and be prepared for a salon visit to hide any visible damage before your wedding - toenails can take a loong time to heal or grow back.
__________________
One of the MouseQuest podcast gang! Find it on iTunes.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
wdw_girl_18
DIS Veteran
 
wdw_girl_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 642

Go to the doctor!!!!

Last summer I was power washing my deck (while wearing flip flops ) and I wasnt paying attention and my toe nail almost blew off. It split so badly and I did nothing for it because it didn't hurt and I figured it would grow back. Well 8 months later its infected and its so painful. The doctor put me on an antibiotic, ive had to get blood tests, scrapings of my toe nail etc.

And not to mention the antibiotic messed with my whole body (nausea 24/7), so I had to go off of it, and now I have to make another appointment with the doctor. Its such a mess and I could have avoided this all by going to the doctor when it first happened!!

Good luck and I hope it heals quickly!!
__________________
wdw_girl_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 14,088

Been there done that!!!

If you feel that your toe may be broken, then definitely see a Dr.

If it is just your toenail, then you will probably be fine!

Here is the scoop. When a toenail is injured (loosened from the cuticle) if the injury is more than 1/2 or 1/4 of the toenail, then it is likely that the nail will separate, and you will lose the nail. Unless you want to go ahead and have it removed after getting a numbing shot, (which I don't think I would do!) then you can let this happen naturally. It will not be painful.... It would be like 'shedding'. When sections become completely separated (with the cuticle kind of healing underneath) you can simply clip it off.

If your toenail is darkening, then this could probably be what happens.

A new toenail will grow in!

However, this takes a long time, and can be quite a mess. Especially if your nail is like torn-up with only the end half of your toenail being lost.

Two things to watch for...
Infection - You don't want this to set in... If the area remains red, painful, or otherwise visibly infected... then go to a Dr.
Nail Fungus - in most cases, nail fungus is able to set in when the nail has suffered a trauma, which breaks the protective barrier where the nail meets the cuticle at the end.

This is why runners often have this.

Runners should inform themselves that they should ALWAYS be wearing well fitting shoes that do not touch/impact the toes when running, and that are well ventilated.

As your toe begins to settle down, I would suggest frequent (almost daily) treatment with a good nail fungus solution, to ward off any nail fungus problems. I have used Fungi-Nail with good results.

Again, if you think the toe is actually broken, or infected, then you might want to see a Dr.

Hope this helps!
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
DarthKTrava
Carolina Panthers Fan
 
DarthKTrava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Archdale, NC
Posts: 7,871

The time I tore my toenail, moving the recliner to vacuum under it, I soaked it in a pan of pure peroxide and wrapped it with toilet tissue. Then kept it wrapped while I wore shoes to give it some padding. The nail came off about a month or so later, painlessly. My aunt asked if I wanted her to remove it. I was like, "NO!!"
__________________
If you can't git behind our troops then git in front of them
DarthKTrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 36,142

When this occurs, I usually peroxide it then neosporin it if it is bleeding. Otherwise, put on a bandaid so you don't have to look on it. The toenail will eventually fall off when it is good and ready. Don't try to help it along.
Lisa loves Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.