Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
clmhood

Magic Bands vs Fast Pass? Are they a must?

Can someone explain the difference between Fast Pass and Magic Bands? And would you recommend them for First-Timers with 3 children (10, 6, 2)?

I am in the VERY beginning stages of planning our FIRST trip to FW (and Disney) and am becoming a little overwhelmed with all the "extras". The boards have been great to learn from.

Thanks in advance!!
clmhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

When you stay at a Disney resort now, you get a magic band. Its a bracelet that is your room key, stores your fast passes, dining credits (if on dining plan), and has charging to your room. You can go on and pre-book ride times (fp+aka fast pass) and they will be stored on your magic band. You get 3 per day as of now. If you stay offsite, you can't get magic band, or pre-book fast passes as of now.

2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Well there are no more paper Fast Passes. The machines have either been covered up or been removed.

You don't have to use Magic Bands. You can still get a ticket card to gain admission to the parks. Once inside you can attempt to schedule FP+ times (good luck with that).

I'm at the Fort now and using MB and FP+. The MB worked well at EPCOT for admission and for scheduling FP+ times. The only drawback is I hate scheduling days/weeks in advance. The tickets (type/# of days) is associated with your MB chip #. Your FP+ days/times are associated with your MB chip #.

So IMO if you want to FP at all, you use the MB. If you don't preschedule then you lose out to the UBERplanners who do use it and waiting till day-of-park to try to get Soarin' might be darn near impossible.

Bama Ed
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)
plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 175
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
sippican
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmhood View Post
Can someone explain the difference between Fast Pass and Magic Bands? And would you recommend them for First-Timers with 3 children (10, 6, 2)?

I am in the VERY beginning stages of planning our FIRST trip to FW (and Disney) and am becoming a little overwhelmed with all the "extras". The boards have been great to learn from.

Thanks in advance!!
First of all welcome!
You will learn so much from these forums. If you have not done so already, go to the My Disney Experience website and create an account. You can manage everything from that site, reservations, dining, FP+..... There are great explanations there, and it's pretty user friendly.
We love the Magic Bands, no more carrying credit cards, passes, etc. When it's time to order them, you can customize for colors. My grandchildren loved placing their bands up to the machines to watch the Mickey Head turn green.
Have fun planning. A trip to the Fort and WDW is magical.

Past Cruises:
CCL Imagination, CCL Valor, NCL Sun, RCL Brilliance, Celebrity Millenium, RCL Voyager, RCL Nordic Prince
WDW Passholder
Numerous stays at Fort Wilderness- 2013 Winnebago Aspect
sippican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post

So IMO if you want to FP at all, you use the MB. If you don't preschedule then you lose out to the UBERplanners who do use it and waiting till day-of-park to try to get Soarin' might be darn near impossible.

Bama Ed
I was wondering about you and your trip. Did you preplan FP+? and how far in advance? Have you been able to get FP+ on the same day? I know you were not happy about the prospect of pre-planning.

We had a great experience with FP+ but we tried it in the testing phase with less people using it, and before they wet up the tiers in EPCOT. The tiers annoy me. With so few good rides in that park to limit my FP selection to only 1 of them is really ridiculous.

DH & Me DD13 DS13 DD10 Holly
ChrisinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
bama_ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNJ View Post
I was wondering about you and your trip. Did you preplan FP+? and how far in advance? Have you been able to get FP+ on the same day? I know you were not happy about the prospect of pre-planning.

We had a great experience with FP+ but we tried it in the testing phase with less people using it, and before they wet up the tiers in EPCOT. The tiers annoy me. With so few good rides in that park to limit my FP selection to only 1 of them is really ridiculous.
Christine,

Well I'm still learning-I did about 45 days in advance for EPCOT and MK. Yesterday I learned that 3 FP+ is all you get for the entire day. I thought it was like the old paper FP where you could "use one, get one" all day long. Sometimes we'd get 4 or 5 a day. But there are FP+ kiosks set up around the parks (usually in the old FP machine locations) where off-property guests and others can schedule their same day FP+. Also, ride queue have been altered for FP+. For example, Pirates of the Carib FP+ goes barely in the door, hangs a hard right through the wall and goes straight to one of the two boat loading chutes. So half the ride capacity is dedicated to FP+ which means they can handle a lot more FP+ per day. Rides like Splash Mtn with a single loading zone are probably set up to allow a very high percentage of FP+ as well.

My takeaway from yesterday was to be there at rope drop and walk on as many rides as possible before, say, 11am or noon. We walked on Buzz, Space Mtn, Pooh, Haunted Mansion, BTRR all before 1130. Only BTRR was long. Sign said 40 min wait but by the time the kids got off it said 80 and it took them 60. We had a FP+ for Splash but it had a very short wait (was cold yesterday).

Crowds also fell off hard about 8 pm so between then and 10pm we did Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Magic Carpets, Astro Orbiter/Peoplemover, and Little Mermaid. So schedule FP+ for between 11am and 8pm on busy days would be my advice. During the busy afternoon section we did less popular, high capacity stuff like Country Bears, Presidents, and FP+ for Peter Pan.

And remember you only get 3 FP+ all day long. Hope this helps.

Bama Ed
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)
plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 175
Old 03-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
sippican
Mouseketeer

If I may jump in here.
We were told at one of the manned FP+ stations that it is 3 FP+ per day per park We never tried it out but it's worth looking into if you plan to park hop.
Of course, if could be another bit of misinformation, which seemed to be the norm. We also tried to swap off a FP for a different one on the day of the visit, but the available times were very late. The My Disney app on my phone did not work at all for changing out plans. We were told there were too many people on the app at the same time (well, duh!). The app worked beautifully during the test period last October, and the parks were pretty full then and you were still able to get paper FP in addition to your three.
As Ed says, the FP lines had virtually no wait at all, but we are not impressed with the new system.

Past Cruises:
CCL Imagination, CCL Valor, NCL Sun, RCL Brilliance, Celebrity Millenium, RCL Voyager, RCL Nordic Prince
WDW Passholder
Old 03-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And remember you only get 3 FP+ all day long. Hope this helps.

Bama Ed
It was 3 FP+ in November as well, just without the tiers in EPCOT and HS. We had booked FP+ in advance, but I made many changes on the fly since a lot of the rides I had FP for were less than 10 minutes wait in the standby line. So I changed 2 of my FP to different rides later in the day. I am just wondering if same day FP or changing times is possible with everyone using the system, or if everything pretty much books up solid....

Not that it matters, we won't be going to Disney this year.... maybe next year... too many other trips on our bucket lists.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippican View Post
If I may jump in here.
We were told at one of the manned FP+ stations that it is 3 FP+ per day per park We never tried it out but it's worth looking into if you plan to park hop.
Of course, if could be another bit of misinformation, which seemed to be the norm. We also tried to swap off a FP for a different one on the day of the visit, but the available times were very late. The My Disney app on my phone did not work at all for changing out plans. We were told there were too many people on the app at the same time (well, duh!). The app worked beautifully during the test period last October, and the parks were pretty full then and you were still able to get paper FP in addition to your three.
As Ed says, the FP lines had virtually no wait at all, but we are not impressed with the new system.

I don't park hop, but if ai purchased park hopper tickets I would be upset to only be able to get FP in one park per day.

The app not working and not being able to change times are 2 things I was worried about after our last trip. We were there while you could still pull regular FP, though we didn't. And not everyone was using FP+ at the time. I was afraid once they switched to FP+ only there would be little to no chance of being able to change FP times or rides from within the park. The app not working doesn't surprise me either. It worked while we were there but it was sooooooo slow. It took forever to pull up current wait times. Their wifi in the parks isn't the best either.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Running_Bell
Mouseketeer

As far as park hopper and FP+... when I called to get details I was told that it is 3 FP+ for one park each day... you could not share them among parks or have 3 in each park in one day. This was kind of a bummer for us too since we are planning to park hop.

Returning summer 2014 - FW
August 2013 - Boardwalk & FW
Nov 2010 - Pop & FW
Oct 2009 - FW
Sept 2007 - FW
Sept 2005 - POR & FW
Sept 1997 -All Star Sports
Running_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
bama_ed

Well I'm not a hopper. So, true, my statement would only apply to the one-park-per-day approach.

Bama Ed
Old 03-28-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well I'm not a hopper. So, true, my statement would only apply to the one-park-per-day approach.

Bama Ed
Actually, your approach would work with hopping.

Go to your rope drop park and ride everything you can as a walk on that will have huge waits later.

Hop to your next park and use fast pass to do the big rides that will always have long waits after rope drop.
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:23 AM   #13
amylevan
DIS Veteran

As of right now, you only get 3 FP+ per day and they must all be used in 1 park - no hopping.

(There is a WDW survey circulating right now asking about modifications to this rule, but this is how it stands right now.)
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #14
iheartpeterpan
Still A Kid At Heart

I can verify it is only one park. I tried to add FP+ in a 2nd park last week and could not.
1972 Fort Wilderness, 1976 Fort Wilderness, 1978 Disneyland California, 1985 "College Girls" Offsite, 1991 Honeymoon Trip Offsite, 1996 Coronado Springs, 2000 Coronado Springs, 2004 Magic Kingdom Offsite, 2006 Disneyland Paris Offsite, 2008 Wilderness Lodge, 2009 Grand Floridian, 2010 Coronado Springs, 2010 Offsite Soccer Tournament at ESPN WWS, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2011 POP Soccer Tournament at ESPN WWS, 2012 Offsite, 2012 Fort Wilderness, 2012 Offsite Soccer Tournament at ESPN WWS, 2013 Band Trip POFQ, 2013 Offsite soccer Tournament at ESPN WWS, 2014 Yacht Club
iheartpeterpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
sippican
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartpeterpan View Post
I can verify it is only one park. I tried to add FP+ in a 2nd park last week and could not.
Good to know. We were told it was 3 per day, per park by one of the CMs in the FP+ line at Epcot. Then again, we were also told we could get additional FP after our window expired by a different CM at the FP station. They really need some additional training, there's better information here. We also had to wait in line when one of our FP rides closed for issues and we were unable to get another with the app. (which was basically useless).

Past Cruises:
WDW Passholder

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: