Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

Port or Starboard Side?

Just wondering if there are any advantages to being on the port (left) or starboard (right) side when choosing a stateroom?
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
buckeyejennifer
Mouseketeer

When we were choosing a stateroom last year, I read on one of these threads that the starboard side more commonly had a better view. We chose accordingly and were happy with it--great views of Nassau and Castaway Cay. I believe that the ships can dock in either direction though, so it is probably just luck of the draw. But I'm not an expert!

We did choose the starboard side again for our upcoming cruises, so we'll see if it works out as well again!

1975 (off site)*1980 (Buena Vista Palace)*1988 (Treehouse Villas)*1993 (Treehouse Villas)*1994 (Port Orleans)*1995 (Treehouse Villas)*2008 (Old Key West)*2009 (Poly/Disney Wonder)*2010 (BWV/Disney Wonder)*2011 (BLT/Disney Dream)*2011 (Poly)*2012 (Yacht Club)*2014 (BCV)
buckeyejennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

Thanks. I should have probably stated that we were looking at the 4 day Wonder cruise to Bahamas as it might make a difference.
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

I prefer starboard, particularly for its view of Castaway Cay. The ship docks there butt end first 99% of time time so you're almost guaranteed to have the beach view if you stay on starboard. That is also the smoking side of the ship in the upper area public decks (you can smoke on any private verandah on both port and starboard) but you don't notice that.
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Homemom
DIS Veteran

We also loved starboard side. Excellent views of Nassau and Castaway Cay and of the fireworks on pirate night.

WDW: Sept 04, Dec 05, Jan 09, Nov 11, Sept 12, Feb 14
DL: Feb 05, April 06, Feb 07, Oct 07, Sept 10, Jan 12, Jan 13
DCL: Jan 10, Oct 13
Homemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
disfaninca
DIS Veteran

Like pp says, it's the luck of the draw. We were on the port side and absolutely loved it! That day we pulled in forward and we had the great view of Castaway Cay.
DCL Magic Eastern 10/11/08, Dream Double Dip 8/16/11, Wonder EBPC 9/14/13
RCI Viking Serenade 4/19/96, Monarch 10/5/07, Monarch 3/14/08, Freedom 10/10/10 Eastern, Oasis 10/13/12 Western, Jewel 10/5/13 Southern
PCL Caribbean Princess 5/1/11 San Juan to NYC
disfaninca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Presentation
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch'sCousin View Post
Just wondering if there are any advantages to being on the port (left) or starboard (right) side when choosing a stateroom?
A common cruise director joke.

This passenger comes up to them complaining that they paid extra for a room with a window and they just got into their room and the view is a parking lot.
9 times on the Disney Magic 1999-2009
1 time on the Disney Wonder Jan 24 2010, take a tour of our room, the Roy O Disney suite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HikICyvT5Ow
1 time on the Disney Dream March 27 2011
DHDWDD(15) DS(11) DD(7)
My 9 year old son's first youtube video about Lightning McQueen >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buhWxstVKwg
If you have a youtube account could you please watch it or have one of your kids watch it and add a comment? Thank you.
Presentation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presentation View Post
A common cruise director joke.

This passenger comes up to them complaining that they paid extra for a room with a window and they just got into their room and the view is a parking lot.
Actually, the joke is that they paid extra for an oceanview cabin and they just got in their room and all they see out of their window is the parking lot.

Anyway, to the question at hand. We are usually on deck 2, we usually choose port side. The view is not really that important to us because it is hit a miss. We've had both views of castaway cay, but since we are usually on the island, it doesn't matter which view we have from the cabin. But we choose the port side so that we can sleep a little later on the last morning (since it is usually a long travel day) and if you are midship on deck 2 starboard side, you can hear a lot of noise with them getting the gangplank in place.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
ontariomonkey
Mouseketeer

We chose what side to go on to maximise shade on the veranda. I spend A LOT of time out there but would spend less time on it if I had to bother with the hassle of sunscreen. So on the eastern we do the right side and the western we do the left side. For the WB transatlantic I'm pretty sure we went with the right side.

Sorry, don't know or care which is port and which is starboard!
ontariomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: